Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update - Holdout over: Chris Johnson agrees to terms

Per Rotoworld:

Former NFL executive Andrew Brandt believes Chris Johnson will get a new contract a week before the season opener.

Brandt spent ten years negotiating contracts and managing the salary cap for the Packers, so his opinion holds water. He believes Johnson will agree to terms just in time to get ready for Week 1, securing a five-year deal worth a total of $56-$58 million. While Brandt has no inside information, things in the NFL tend to get done at the last possible minute. We're not downgrading Johnson on draft boards just yet.

Source: National Football Post on Twitter

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to G.M. Mike Reinfeldt, the Titans and Chris Johnson are far away on the paramaters of a potential deal.

Said Reinfeldt: "We’ve discussed parameters. If we can’t agree on the parameters, there’s no sense in making offers." Reinfeldt was also unaware that Johnson had returned to Nashville Saturday, and it appears that no deal is imminent. Both sides are holding their ground for the moment, but contract disputes can be resolved at the last possible minute. Aug 20, 7:59 PM

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

You seem not to realize that AP is making 10.72 million this year..and that's just on his rookie deal. AP's new deal will have him making around 13 million as well.

You seem to have not read the part where the guy said he wants MORE than 13 mil.

Edited by Shotgun

You seem to have not read the part where the guy said he wants MORE than 13 mil.

He will get around 13 mil. Of course he wants more than that. He wants Peyton Manning/Tom Brady money. Just as I'm sure Adrian Peterson will want as well. It's part of the NFL..get used to it.

after seeing Fitzgerald's deal (which averages $15 mil) I still think CJ will end up somewhere between $13 and $15 mil

He will get around 13 mil. Of course he wants more than that. He wants Peyton Manning/Tom Brady money. Just as I'm sure Adrian Peterson will want as well. It's part of the NFL..get used to it.

Part of the NFL? I've yet to see anyone who wasn't an elite QB, especially a RB expect to get paid that much money. Until now with CJ. Of course anyone would WANT that much but it's ridiculous to suggest it. CJ will not be getting what he wants, which is why I said he's crazy in the first place if that is indeed what he's going to be asking for. I don't even know what you're getting at here. Nothing you've said so far even make sense in regards to my original post.

after seeing Fitzgerald's deal (which averages $15 mil) I still think CJ will end up somewhere between $13 and $15 mil

I doubt it, the Titans have never seemed the type to throw that much money at 1 guy, especially a RB at that. Fitz got overpaid but I'm sure it'll still come up in negotiations.

Part of the NFL? I've yet to see anyone who wasn't an elite QB, especially a RB expect to get paid that much money. Until now with CJ. Of course anyone would WANT that much but it's ridiculous to suggest it. CJ will not be getting what he wants, which is why I said he's crazy in the first place if that is indeed what he's going to be asking for. I don't even know what you're getting at here. Nothing you've said so far even make sense in regards to my original post.

You claimed it was ridiculous to want over 13 million for CJ. Where as AP will likely get something over that, just as CJ will. When you have a back that can change the game as quickly, and drastically as CJ(same goes with AP), you're going to pay them play maker money. When AP restructures next off-season he will get more than Chris Johnson, because he believes that he's better, which will be over 13 million dollars. It's not that hard to grasp. CJ has already gotten them to offer him the top RB contract in history..so is he really as outlandish as you think he is?

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is no, CJ is not nuts for thinking he can get paid that much. And it's proven by the fact that Adrian Peterson is making 10.72 million this year..and it's his rookie deal. No restructuring, no bonuses, just his rookie deal. So is it really that hard to think he can make more than 13 million, given he's proven himself as a top 2 back in this league, and the biggest play maker in the league, after a player was given 10.72 million in a deal before they even knew what the guy was going to do?

You claimed it was ridiculous to want over 13 million for CJ. Where as AP will likely get something over that, just as CJ will. When you have a back that can change the game as quickly, and drastically as CJ(same goes with AP), you're going to pay them play maker money. When AP restructures next off-season he will get more than Chris Johnson, because he believes that he's better, which will be over 13 million dollars. It's not that hard to grasp. CJ has already gotten them to offer him the top RB contract in history..so is he really as outlandish as you think he is?

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is no, CJ is not nuts for thinking he can get paid that much. And it's proven by the fact that Adrian Peterson is making 10.72 million this year..and it's his rookie deal. No restructuring, no bonuses, just his rookie deal. So is it really that hard to think he can make more than 13 million, given he's proven himself as a top 2 back in this league, and the biggest play maker in the league, after a player was given 10.72 million in a deal before they even knew what the guy was going to do?

I see your points but I still think it's nuts. They may offer him the highest paid contract for a RB but he wants to be one of the highest paid PLAYERS. The guy is looking for elite QB money, and if the guy quoted originally is correct, he thinks 13mil is on the low side so I imagine he's looking for 15-18 mil a year. I don't honestly think that's happening and he's off his rocker if he indeed does think it is. And I understand AP is making that much this year but it's just based off escalators, and it's just that, this year. He made just $3.64 mil last year by comparison. Besides, it's based on a drafted salary so it has nothing to do with his skills or position. His contract was for $40mil and $17 mil guaranteed. That's far below wanting way over $13mil for the first 3 years so basing what CJ might get off of AP's last year of a contract (He'll likely renew his contract after this year) is somewhat pointless imo. I'm sure CJ will likely get $13 mil or perhaps a LITTLE over but considering he seems to think it's at the low end of negotiating I stick to my point that he's crazy. The Titans will likely "pay the man" but I guarantee he won't be getting the numbers he had in his head. This entire convo is based off hear-say anyway though so the guy who said that could have been exaggerating.

Edited by Shotgun

Guest MikeyDay

I see your points but I still think it's nuts. They may offer him the highest paid contract for a RB but he wants to be one of the highest paid PLAYERS. The guy is looking for elite QB money, and if the guy quoted originally is correct, he thinks 13mil is on the low side so I imagine he's looking for 15-18 mil a year. I don't honestly think that's happening and he's off his rocker if he indeed does think it is. And I understand AP is making that much this year but it's just based off escalators, and it's just that, this year. He made just $3.64 mil last year by comparison. Besides, it's based on a drafted salary so it has nothing to do with his skills or position. His contract was for $40mil and $17 mil guaranteed. That's far below wanting way over $13mil for the first 3 years so basing what CJ might get off of AP's last year of a contract (He'll likely renew his contract after this year) is somewhat pointless imo. I'm sure CJ will likely get $13 mil or perhaps a LITTLE over but considering he seems to think it's at the low end of negotiating I stick to my point that he's crazy. The Titans will likely "pay the man" but I guarantee he won't be getting the numbers he had in his head. This entire convo is based off hear-say anyway though so the guy who said that could have been exaggerating.

Look i aint crazy about holdouts regardless of who it is. Now we all know CJ deserves a big contract. Hes done what only 6 RBs in NFL HISTORY have done. He broke Marshall Faulks all scrimmage yards. Its not easy to do.. CJ has to be elite to do something like that. So he should be paid like a elite player. Im not one for throwing over 60 mill out but if Charles Johndon fot 72 mill n hes good but only one year work thrn CJ def deserves that deal. CJ has been pro bowl worthy all 3 years so far and hes beeen doinf it with fucking kerry collins as his QB mostly. Now if i were the Titans, i would say a long deal for ur position is normally not a good idea but we can still give u a loaded contract like aso got for his 3 years. Give him a 3 year 42 mill deal. 34 gaurenteed or around there. Thats still 14 mill a yr and its only three yrs. Thats just my opinion though. Pay him a shitload for only 3-4 yrs.

Bud speaks:

Backing GM Mike Reinfeldt's stance, Titans owner Bud Adams stated emphatically that Chris Johnson will not receive a new contract offer until he reports to the team.

"I'm not gonna make any offer with the way he's acting," said Adams. "Life's too short." Asked about the possibility of the standoff lasting into the regular season, Adams replied: "That could be, but that's his decision. He's got to make that. I'm not going to interfere. If he doesn't want to come in and play, then he doesn't want to come in and play." Though we're embarking on a critical week for talks, both sides are digging in their heels. If they're still without progress next week, we'll have to consider moving Johnson down the Draft Guide rankings.

Appearing on SportsCenter Monday, ESPN's Adam Schefter said he believes Titans holdout Chris Johnson is a "real threat" to miss at least Week 1.

Most national observers have considered Johnson likely to sign a contract and return to the Titans roughly a week before the opener. Schefter isn't on that bandwagon: "I think there's a real threat that he could end up missing the opening game." We'd give it a few days before adjusting Johnson's Draft Guide projections, but this remains a highly concerning situation for fantasy owners drafting early. Most drafts occur on the weekend of August 27-28.

This is exactly why I hate players that hold out. From what it looks like, the Titans are telling CJ "Come in and show us you care about the team and we'll get you more money", and his response seems to be "Screw the team! Gimme a huge contract now!" Which seems to be the trend lately.

I know football is a business, and I certainly don't begrudge players negotiating for better contracts. What I don't agree with are players who refuse to be reasonable about it and hang their team out to dry until they get "The biggest contract a player at their position ever got". You signed a contract, and you shoudl honor it by practicing and playing. Most owners are more receptive to renegotiating your deal if they think you care about the team.

Holding out should always be the final option, yet 98% percent of players don't even TRY to negotiate. they just go. "Pay me 50 million or I wont play." and then wonder why situations like this happen.

Long story short, CJ2K has pretty much sent his team the message that he doesn't care about them. He just wants their money. I understand they promised him a renegotiated deal before this year started, but like I said, when you spit in your teams face by jumping straight to a hold-out, it tends to make them less willing to deal with you.

I'm willing to bet if CJ just stops being a greedy stubborn little shit and just does what they ask he'll get his deal. just go back in, and show them you care even slightly about the team. Make them want to deal you and keep you there. Even "elite" players can get cut if they're total assholes. Just ask Randy Moss.

Edited by Jayrus

Chris Johnson will meet with Titans on Wednesday

3:09 PM, Aug. 23, 2011

Titans running back Chris Johnson and his agent are scheduled to fly to Nashville tonight to meet with General Manager Mike Reinfeldt on Wednesday. The two sides are currently not close to agreeing on parameters for a new deal. Reinfeldt said on Saturday the Titans have not made an offer because of it, and indications are they have not closed the gap in recent conversations. A face-to-face meeting between the player, the team and agent Joel Segal could provide further answers -- or a breaking point.

Link

face time is always a good thing, at least the stalemate will move somewhere and maybe some details about the 'parameters' the two sides are disagreeing over will come out

here's Johnson's tweet:http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisJohnson28/status/106070731791675392

Edited by oochymp

I understand that football is a business, and that very good players should be well compensated for their talent. However, I feel like more and more talented young players are demanding veteran level contracts. The system just feels lopsided. I have enormous respect for CJ's talent, but I have zero respect for him as a professional, because up to this point he has shown very little class. Offered a top RB contract and still turned it down?? Seriously?? So I totally believe he should be paid well (he's paid far too little compared to some backups who make the same or more), but he should bring a more humble attitude to the table. It could make a world of difference.

• Upvote 1

Still not looking good...

Per Rotoworld:

The Titans' Wednesday meeting with Chris Johnson has ended without a contract renegotiation.

An immediate deal was never likely, as the sides remain "far apart," confirms Jim Wyatt of the Nashville Tennessean. "I'm not sure there was any progress made," acknowledged GM Mike Reinfeldt. "But I do think it was beneficial to meet." Added Wyatt, "The stalemate is expected to continue for at least the near future." ESPN's Adam Schefter recently suggested there was a "real chance" Johnson would miss Week 1, and possibly more. He's a risky fantasy pick at the top of round one, though owners drafting Nos. 5-8 overall should be willing to pounce on the value.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Per Rotoworld.com:

One league source tells Profootballtalk that Chris Johnson's next move may be a trade request.

Coach Mike Munchak has already stated that Johnson will not be traded, and we don't expect that stance to change. Johnson tweeted Thursday that he "just got advice" from an experienced source and will give an update "when the time is right." Terry McCormick from Titan Insider hears Johnson's next move will be a counter proposal to the Titans. Asked if he would be playing Week 1, Johnson replied: "I don't know. I can't really comment on much right now." Aug 25 - 2:11 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Trade request could be next step for Chris Johnson

Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2011, 2:04 PM EDT

AP

So with the Titans and running back Chris Johnson still at an impasse regarding his value, the next step could involve some other team paying Johnson what he’s worth.

Per a league source, a trade request could be coming soon from Johnson.

The Titans surely will claim they won’t trade him. But if there’s a team or two that will pay him what he wants, that team or two possibly would be willing to give the Titans a modern-day Herschel Walker-style package.

Per PFT:

lawl at this situation. I'm pretty sure they can agree to something if Chris Johnson spoke English :shrug:.

• Upvote 1

I didn't know Chris Johnson could count to 13 :D

Seriously though, Javon Ringer and Stafon Johnson have convinced me that Tennessee has no need to shell out this kind of money.

CJ2K needs to recognize he has very little leverage here. RBs come and go in today's league, and just because he made history.. doesn't mean it translates into as many dollar signs as he believes.

• Upvote 1

CJ2K needs to recognize he has very little leverage here. RBs come and go in today's league, and just because he made history.. doesn't mean it translates into as many dollar signs as he believes.

Honestly... He isn't worth it anymore, IMO. He was offered a contract that makes him the highest paid RB in the league.... Which he isn't even worth. EXTREMELY generous offer from the Titans, and he still wants more? And you are right, RBs come and go every year. No reason to give him Top Player money when they can go out and find somebody slightly less effective but MUCH MUCH cheaper.

If he requests a trade, I would be ALL over that if I am the Titans. If another team out there is willing to part with some high draft picks AND shell out that kind of money he wants... I couldn't sign his rights away faster.

• Upvote 1

Honestly... He isn't worth it anymore, IMO. He was offered a contract that makes him the highest paid RB in the league.... Which he isn't even worth. EXTREMELY generous offer from the Titans, and he still wants more? And you are right, RBs come and go every year. No reason to give him Top Player money when they can go out and find somebody slightly less effective but MUCH MUCH cheaper.

If he requests a trade, I would be ALL over that if I am the Titans. If another team out there is willing to part with some high draft picks AND shell out that kind of money he wants... I couldn't sign his rights away faster.

He's a great weapon but I agree. If he doesn't want to take that contract then he can go to the Redskins and get all the 0's he wants.

No Chris Johnson trade talk

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Coach Mike Munchak says the Tennessee Titans haven't talked about trading Chris Johnson and the answer would be no if the star running back asked for such a move.

"We would figure he's under contract for two years, he's going to be a Titan and we would hope a longer term than that," Munchak said Thursday. "But I don't think that's anything we would even give any consideration to. He's with us one way or another, and hopefully it ends up being on the field."

Johnson and his agent met with Tennessee general manager Mike Reinfeldt in Nashville on Wednesday and then the running back to Orlando.

The running back teased on Twitter that he would update the status of talks between his agent, Joel Segal, and the Titans after his workout. But the three-year veteran later tweeted that he had been advised not to say anything.

Link

so much for that talk, ESPN goes on to hypothesize that CJ's advice to avoid twitter updates may signal that Segal is preparing a counteroffer for the Titans, for the first time this offseason I think this might be going in the right direction.

I didn't know Chris Johnson could count to 13 :D

Seriously though, Javon Ringer and Stafon Johnson have convinced me that Tennessee has no need to shell out this kind of money.

if anyone gives you confidence in the Titans' running game this year it's the oline, they've given backs holes you could drive a truck through so far this preseason, but what those two are making 30-40 yard runs, CJ would be taking to the house

Edited by oochymp

Turning down the offer of highest paid running back and wanting to be elite playmaker money?

LOL. please. Yeah he's good and deserves higher pay, but that's just retarded. Making "history" doesn't suddenly merit a 13 million plus contract. He just became even more over-rated in my eyes.

Yeah. He's as replacable as your average player at any other position. Now I know he isn't average, but running back in the NFL is a plug and play position. You don't need Chris Johnsons, APs, Arian Fosters, etc. They're just nice to have.