Sign in to follow this  
Phins4life

Concerning musical taste.....

Something I've noticed a lot more frequently than I care to on Youtube/Facebook comments is people being ridiculed for liking a song for this reason or that. Example: Individual A comments how much he loves Sympathy for the Devil after hearing it on Black Ops. Individual B comes in and states what an unworthy fan he is because he discovered the song on a video game rather than discovering it.....whatever way it is that makes the other person better than him. Using myself as another example, I play lots of GH and RB, and that's how I have discovered and come to appreciate songs I previously didn't know about.

This type of logic runs rampant on social networks, where there are people who basically take on this type of elitist mentality, thinking they are better fans of a band or appreciate the music more because of this reason or that. Keep in mind, I'm aware that the world's best and brightest are not heavily represented on YT and FB comments as a general rule. However, they do make up a large group in society. Frankly I don't understand it, especially when the main point is for fans who appreciate a band to come together and reach consensus that they all like it, regardless of why.

Wondering how ya'll feel about it. Does this happen to you? Do you agree that someone who grew up listening to the Stones (or any band) is better than someone who discovered them by chance through games, movies, etc? If so, why? This is all just random curiosity, because I apparently have nothing else to think about at the moment :popcorn: . Let me know what you think.

Most people who comment on youtube are full retard. 80% of comments on music videos are just plain dumb.

Doesn't matter how you found the song or band. If you like it listen to it you don't have to comment saying "I heard this song on Jersey shore (or whatever it is you kids watch and play) and I <3333333323 it so mucchxxx!!" That way no one responds saying "LOLOL U SUCK KID I BEEN LISTENIN TO THIS SHIT FOR LIKE A WHOLE 2 YEARS I HAVE EVERY ALBUM LOLLOLOL GROW UP KID GTFO I LISTENED TO IT BEFORE YOU DID SO I WILL EQUATE MYSELF TO GOD AND LOOK DOWN UPON YOU BECUZ YOU DISCOVERED THE SONG IN A DUMB SHOW LIKE LAST WEEK LOLLOOL."

So my suggestion is to just enjoy the song and don't comment at all. The best way to show your support to a band is to purchase an album or song on iTunes or whatever.

Sounds like TGP's very own music elitist.

Nothing about anyones taste in music can make them a better person than anyone else.

yeah that pisses me off. anyone that does that is a hipster in my eyes.

they should kill themselves because living is too mainstream.

• Upvote 2

I was first introduced to Disturbed in Madden a few year ago. They have since become far and away my favorite band. How you discover certain bands does not make anyone more or less worthy of being a fan. Haters are going to hate, even when they are hating on you agreeing with them about something, that is just what they do.

Yea, I've noticed it too. I remember finding stuff in the Madden soundtracks like Chia did. There were some really solid years in there for soundtracks.

Madden 04 soundtrack was great, as were many others.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea, man. There's some ridiculous thing that's gone around for years about being a "fan from the beginning."

Well, I hate to tell you boss, but fans from the beginning make up a grand total of maybe 1% of a band's fanbase. So shove it up your ass. Don't let these people bother you. They're just trolls.

idk, I know a lot of people who get this sense of entitlement when they've been listening to a certain artist for a period of time, and all the sudden he just blows up cause of one song/mixtape. And to those people, they sometimes feel like they have the right to feel that way. That's just the other side to this argument.

Me personally I don't care about any of that. idk if you have just recently become a fan of an artist i've been listening to or if you've been one forever... The thing that does piss me off though is when someone blows up because of one song, or mixtape, album, picks up some new fans and those new fans don't go back and look at some of his older real work. Especially when that song/mixtape/album doesn't truly show what he's about. I started feeling that way with Lupe Fiasco and when LASERS came out and people started pretending like LASERS was what Lupe Fiasco was all about, and like he had never made anything better... Which is false and far from the truth...

• Upvote 1

Madden and NCAA have put me on to some memorable songs. 'Take me Out' by Franz Ferdinand is still one of my favorite songs for some reason.

• Upvote 1

These bands allow their songs to be put on videogames.. in commercials.. even in WWE wrestler intros for a reason... To get their music out there and expand their fanbase. If anyone gets mad at them for wanting to share their work then they themselves aren't really fans.

Real talk. :rockon:

• Upvote 2

Madden '10 has a good soundtrack but I usually hate games soundtracks. For a while now I always used to put on all the old school NFL Films music on my madden but some of the songs are good on '10

The great thing about music is that there are so many different genres that there's something to fit everyone's varying tastes. Also, music is used in a variety of ways - simply for personal enjoyment, on TV shows and movies, as well as many video games and other sources of media. I think those kinds of comments are very rude and naive. With so many ways to experience and discover music, one way couldn't be better than the other since it's simply being experienced. If you're a fan, I'd imagine you should just be happy that so many others appreciate it rather than looking for ways to feel self-entitled.

• Upvote 1

I have never, and could never judge anyone based on the type of music they enjoy listening to. That's sort of an absurd thing to do in my eyes. Let me put it this way,

My whole life growing up, I listened to bands like Hootie and the Blowfish, Barenaked Ladies, etc. Just a lot of alternative music. None of the music was really related in one way or another. As I hit teens, I listened to a lot of Rock, rap, and heck, even metal. Basically, I listened to everything, that is, everything but country music. I had always thought country was atrocious. But now? I listen to more country than anything. I listen to anything. I love music, especially stuff I can listen to and relate to it at the same time. How can you judge someone based on something they probably relate to?

• Upvote 2

I don't care how anyone discovers music I'm into...actually I don't care if anyone is into the music I'm into.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone's musical taste change almost daily like mine? It's rare that I'll listen to the same genre, much less artist, for over three days. I'll really have to be stuck in their groove. Sublime with Rome's new album has me there for sure.. but I can't remember the last time before that. Everything else has been a random assortment of music. I'll go from listening to "Good Morning" by Kanye West to "Gravity" by John Mayer to "The Red" by Chevelle in a matter of ten minutes and not even think about it.

By the way, I probably have the best Random playlists ever.

Does anyone's musical taste change almost daily like mine? It's rare that I'll listen to the same genre, much less artist, for over three days. I'll really have to be stuck in their groove. Sublime with Rome's new album has me there for sure.. but I can't remember the last time before that. Everything else has been a random assortment of music. I'll go from listening to "Good Morning" by Kanye West to "Gravity" by John Mayer to "The Red" by Chevelle in a matter of ten minutes and not even think about it.

By the way, I probably have the best Random playlists ever.

Not so extremely for me, but I definitely shift music every month or so. For instance I may be really into alternative and then next month maybe country and then next month maybe soft rock.

I am similar to GA and Windy.