Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Redskins' Hall says he'll target QB Romo's ribs

ESPNDallas.com

ASHBURN, Va. -- Tony Romo has a fractured rib. DeAngelo Hall sees it as a bull's-eye.

The Washington Redskins cornerback said Wednesday he's hoping the Dallas Cowboys quarterback plays when the NFC East rivals meet Monday night -- if only for the chance to inflict more damage.

"Absolutely. I want to get a chance to put my helmet on whatever's hurt," Hall said. "Romo's ribs -- I'm going to be asking for some corner blitzes. If I know Felix Jones' shoulder's hurt, I'm not going to cut him. I'm definitely going to try to hit him up high, so that's just part of it.

"If you know something's wrong with an opponent, you're going to try to target in on that. We're going to try to definitely get as many hits on that team as possible."

Romo suffered a fractured rib and punctured lung at San Francisco on Sunday, but he returned to the game to lead the Cowboys to a 27-24 overtime victory.

However, inflicting pain on the Cowboys quarterback isn't the Washington defense's primary goal, according to Pro Bowl pass rusher Brian Orakpo.

"If somebody gets injured, you want to go after that injury," Orakpo said on a conference call with Valley Ranch media. "But we're going to just play our game. We're going to try to get Romo down when we can.

"We're not going to just target the ribs and forget about trying to get the ball out or forget about trying to get him down and just hit his ribs. Nah, we're going to do the best we can to get him down and get off the field."

The Cowboys had an extra day off Wednesday, but coach Jason Garrett told Redskins reporters on a conference call that he remains hopeful Romo will play against Washington.

"I think he's doing fine," Garrett said. "He got knocked around a little bit on Sunday, but he's getting his rehab and hopefully he'll be ready to play for this ballgame. We'll take it day to day, the next few days."

Garrett gave no specific updates on the Cowboys' other notable injuries. Receiver Miles Austin aggravated a hamstring injury Sunday, starting center Phil Costa reinjured his right knee, receiver Dez Bryant has been out with a bruised thigh, and running back Jones has the ailing shoulder.

Hall was asked if Romo should just go ahead and put a target on the rib that was broken.

"He ain't got to," Hall said. "I already know where it is. We'll be all right. We find it. I'll find it."

Source: ESPN

Edited by BLUE

Being upfront about something players are already known to do... eh, he's a dumbass for saying it though.

Dez is going to burn Hall so bad he'll have to try to pick himself up somehow.

It's kinda like the Giants faking injuries to kill the Rams hurry up offense. It is a pretty common practice... but when you make it this obvious, it is going to be frowned upon. And you better believe the league office is taking notes.

You mean Miles Austin... I don't see Dezly doing shit this week against Josh Wilson. *nods head*

You mean Miles Austin... I don't see Dezly doing shit this week against Josh Wilson. *nods head*

It doesn't look like Miles Austin will be playing. Oh, and there ain't no corner in the league that can handle Dez, aside from maybe Nnamdi. We'll see that in time.

• Downvote 4

eh. unneeded and stupid comments, but I wouldn't hold it against a boxer to target an injured area in order to win, so I'm, not gonna hold against a football player.

Oh, and there ain't no corner in the league that can handle Dez, aside from maybe Nnamdi.

LOL.

Edited by GA_Eagle

LOL.

Why are you laughing? His 3 catches and 71 yards which doesn't even rank in the NFL doesn't impress you?

Shame on you, Chet. Shame on you.

Oh, and there ain't no corner in the league that can handle Dez, aside from maybe Nnamdi. We'll see that in time.

I suppose you didn't watch us play the Jets...

As for Hall's comments, they've become part of the game. No complain here. Players exploit weaknesses every game.. this just happens to be another. If an injured player gets on the field, expect to be targeted. The Niners passing all over the Cowboys' secondary last week is a great example. The only way I can truly have a problem with this is if it's a cheap shot (ie late hit).

Why are you laughing? His 3 catches and 71 yards which doesn't even rank in the NFL doesn't impress you?

Shame on you, Chet. Shame on you.

:D yea, his 1 career 100+ yard receiving performance screams uncoverable to me.

Sorry, but even the greatest receivers ever got shut down sometimes.

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1

If Hall handled Fitz for all but the one big play, I am sure he can handle Austin or Dez without much trouble. The one time Fitz burned him, was on a double move which even the best DB's get beat on occasionally.

As for Hall's comments; as it has been said, he is just voicing what is done every week by every player in the league. Not the best move to state the unstated, though.

Just give the refs more of a reason to flag a defensive player for unneccesary roughness on the Quarterback, idiot.

Guest Phailadelphia
Before picking up a knock that limited his impact' date=' Dez Bryant (+1.8) had plays where he made [b']both Darrelle Revis[/b] and Antonio Cromartie look rather mediocre.

Just sayin' :p

There's nothing wrong about his comments in concept, every player knows to target injured areas, but I see no reason to tell the media. It just gives people a negative look at you. Every player in the locker room knows the injuries on the other team, and they're going to try to exploit them. Good idea Hall, just don't give the media something negative to talk about.

He's an idiot for being upfront about this. This is when keeping it real goes bad. Look for the refs to be all over the Skins now, looking for unnecessary roughness calls. The league office will also take notice and be ready to hand out fines. These kinds of things, which ARE done in football, are to remain within the locker room. The league doesn't want it's new, cleaner image focus to be tarnished by these 'dirty' tactics.

DeAngelo Hall being DeAngelo Hall. . . He was a bonehead in Atlanta, he's still a bonehead in Washington. I understand what he's saying, and have no problem with it because everyone does that, target the injury. But come on man, you don't publicize it. That's like asking for a fine. Don't talk it, just do it!

Bet you won't hear from DHall the entire game.

Just sayin' :p

Eh. he caught three passes. We're not talking about anything consistent whatsoever.

romo having trouble getting out of chair

Take a look at this video. It is after an Inside the NFL interview he did yesterday. At the end, Romo can barely get out of his chair.

Prediction: Either he doesn't play on Monday, or Hall / Orakpo / Landry (enter any other viable name here) knocks him out of the game.

Edited by ride or die redskins

Guest Phailadelphia

Eh. he caught three passes. We're not talking about anything consistent whatsoever.

He was also injured for 3 quarters of the game.

romo having trouble getting out of chair

Take a look at this video. It is after an Inside the NFL interview he did yesterday. At the end, Romo can barely get out of his chair.

Prediction: Either he doesn't play on Monday, or Hall / Orakpo / Landry (enter any other viable name here) knocks him out of the game.

It's not any worse in that interview than it was when it happened and he was still sacked what, 2 or 3 times? A company out of Pennsylvania fitted him for a vest that can stop a bullet with a quarter inch of material. He'll play and he'll be fine.

Hall is a doosh. Always has been. Always will be.

I hope TO gets healthy and comes back just so he can spit in Hall's face again.

Of course, none of this concerns Hall's comments...just Hall in general.

here's an interesting observation from DC Jim Haslett:

“You think about it – he’s not allowed to hit him in the head and you can’t hit him below the knees so there’s really only one place he can hit him,” Haslett said. “Realistically, [the ribs] are the only place you can hit a quarterback now.”

Source

He ain't about to hit nobody.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/tony-romos-message-to-deangelo.html

Tony Romo's message to DeAngelo Hall: Cowboys QB will "target whoever's targeting my ribs''

If Tony Romo does play, it means Washington cornerback DeAngelo Hall will be able to put his "helmet on whatever's hurt.''

What are Romo's thoughts on Hall's declaration?

"I mean, that's what people do,'' Romo said. "That's part of playing football. If they're able to get a clean shot on my ribs consistently throughout the game, then we're probably not doing that well anyway.

"I'm sure I'll target whoever's targeting my ribs in the passing game.''

Hall said if Romo does play he hopes to get some corner blitzes to take a shot.

"If he's blitzing, that means he's not covering,'' Romo said. "So we'll attack the guy he's covering.''

Guest Phailadelphia

This guy hits himself with a hammer in the ribs using the same crap Romo will have around him on Monday night.