Maverick

The Maverick Series: Best Division by Position

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which division has the best running backs?

• AFC North
    • AFC East
    • AFC South
    • AFC West
    • NFC North
    • NFC East
    • NFC South
    • NFC West

If you participated in Chapter 1, you know the drill. If you didn't, below is a copy+paste of my explanation from the original thread.

___

We may have had these discussions here or there in the past, but I was thinking about the idea for a few days and decided to go with it. I named this the Maverick Series just to give it a fancy name, but really I'll be putting up a new topic every few days and you will vote on which division is most stacked at a position. Each new topic - "chapter" - in the series will be a new position for members to debate on.

Just in case you're not the most avid football fan, I will list the divisions with their four respective teams. Hope this series provides some kick-ass discussion, and I'm very interested to see at the end of this which division has the most wins!

Next up - Which division has the best running backs??

AFC North: :Bengals::Browns::Ravens::Steelers:

AFC East: :Bills::dolphins::Jets: :Patriots:

AFC South: :Colts::Titans::Texans::jags:

AFC West: :Broncos::Chargers::Chiefs::Raiders:

NFC North: :Bears::Lions::Packers::Vikings:

NFC East: :Cowboys::Eagles::Giants::Redskins:

NFC South: :Falcons::panthers::Saints::Bucs:

NFC West: ::49ers::Cardinals::Rams::Seahawks:

========

Ch. 1 - QB: Winner: NFC South Runner-up: NFC East

Edited by Maverick

tough. No division really jumps out at me.

NFC South. Take a look at these names:

Michael Turner, LeGarrett Blunt, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Mark Ingram, Darren Sproles.

2nd would be AFC South imo

Joseph Addai, MoJo, Arian Foster, Chris Johnson

Edited by Chris D

NFC North seems like there's a good pack of guys.

Adrian Peterson is the best in the game, Matt Forte is at least a top 5 player, Jahvid Best alternates between amazing and it's amazing he hasn't been cut yet, and the Packers have a solid do everything back, and a speedy break the game open back in Grant and Starks.

NFC South is a close second though, Michael Turner still has it, the Panthers have two exceptional backs, Blount is a monster going downhill, Darren Sproles has found his niche as a receiving threat next to Drew Brees, and Mark Ingram is... alright I guess, he hasn't blown anyone away yet, but he's good enough.

NFC South is a close second to AFC South, IMO.

3 big names in the AFC South- MJD, CJ, and Arian Foster, along with Addai.

NFC South has Turner, Williams, Stewart, Blount, Sproles, and Ingram.

Man it's a toss-up almost.

1. AFC South-CJ2K,Foster,Jones-Drew,Addai

2. AFC West-McFadden,Charles,Moreno,Matthews

this is a tough one, before the season I would have said the AFC South without hesitation, but with what CJ is currently doing the AFC South really only has two top tier backs right now (not saying CJ won't get back there, but right now you can't consider him top tier, but that's not for this thread, just go to one of the 48195068729137 threads in the AFC South forum about CJ's performance if you want to discuss that topic) right now I don't know that there is a clear cut top division, so I'm going to look at each division and see what happens:

AFC North--Rice, Mendenhall, Benson, Hardesty/Hillis--you've got one top tier back and the rest are pretty good

AFC South--MJD, Foster, CJ, Carter/Addai--two top tier backs, one that needs to rebound, and one serviceable backfield, pretty good, but not the best right now

AFC East--Jackson, Greene/Tomlinson, Thomas/Bush, Law Firm--one top tier back and three serviceable backfields

AFC West--McFadden/Bush, *Charles/Battle/McCluster, Matthews/Tolbert, McGahee--if you include Charles this is a ridiculous group, leaving him out it's still pretty damn good, the only detractor is the number of committees

NFC North--AP, Forte, Best, Starks/Grant--here's another very talented group, it says something when the division's 'weak link' is a pair of backs averaging over 4 ypc

NFC South--Williams/Stewart, Blount, Turner, Ingram/Thomas/Sproles--another very good group of backs

NFC East--McCoy, Bradshaw/Jacobs, Jones/Murray/Choice, Hightower/Torain/Helu--couple good backfields and a couple serviceable ones

NFC West--Jackson, Gore, Lynch, Wells--one great, one good, and two serviceable (to be generous)

To me, it comes down to the AFC West, NFC North, and NFC South, but I think I've gotta give the edge to the NFC North right now, but with a healthy Charles I might lean more toward the AFC West

I'm gonna say the AFC South - Arian Foster and Ben Tate, MJD, and then CJ wants to play he's up there. Colts backs suck though.

The AFC South has 3 of the top 5 or 6 backs in the league in CJ, Foster and MJD...pretty sure that's an open and shut case..

The AFC South has 3 of the top 5 or 6 backs in the league in CJ, Foster and MJD...pretty sure that's an open and shut case..

That would be if you think CJ is a top-5 back.

That would be if you think CJ is a top-5 back.

The people who think one bad half of a season takes him out of the top 5 are the same people who think Philip Rivers sucks because of this one bad year.

Those people being the idiots, that is.

The people who think one bad half of a season takes him out of the top 5 are the same people who think Philip Rivers sucks because of this one bad year.

Those people being the idiots, that is.

CJ was never a top-5 back.

He's a niche-back, he only does good when he gets good blocking, he's not capable of running over people like Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte, or making people miss.

We explained it in the other thread about him, (and I notice it's still only Titans fans who think he's elite), as follows:

Good run-blocking: Great rushing yards for CJ, Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Steven Jackson.

Bad run-blocking: Still good rushing yards for AP, Forte, and S-Jax, but bad rushing yards for CJ.

CJ was never a top-5 back.

He's a niche-back, he only does good when he gets good blocking, he's not capable of running over people like Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte, or making people miss.

We explained it in the other thread about him, (and I notice it's still only Titans fans who think he's elite), as follows:

Good run-blocking: Great rushing yards for CJ, Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Steven Jackson.

Bad run-blocking: Still good rushing yards for AP, Forte, and S-Jax, but bad rushing yards for CJ.

Except in 2009 and 2010 where he had bad run blocking but still dominated? How many times do I have to disprove that stupid argument? Because it's really getting old.

The proof of them sucking in 2010: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2010

The proof of them being below average in 2009: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2009

The interior offensive line, up until the Panthers game, was historically bad, and that was on top of CJ's conditioning being an issue for a while. I've been the only one in the debates to actually back up what I say with facts. Everyone else just assumes that CJ sucks and that's the end of it. CJ showed vs the Bengals and Panthers he's starting to get back up to his conditioning of the past couple years and the interior o-line Sunday, was for once playing better than like the worst run blocking offensive line of all time. They were still bad, but that's fine, so long as they can let CJ get to the line of scrimmage without already having 2-3 people grabbing him, he'll gain yards.

I'm pretty sure I'm done defending CJ here. I post facts over and over, and a select few here like to just completely dismiss them and shout "LOL HE SUCKS DONT CARE WHAT THE FACTS ARE". You guys keep that opinion. I'll just remain happy knowing the Titans have arguably, along with AP, the best back in the league.

Oh, and by the way..CJ has been running behind a worse offensive line than AP every year. Ohhh, what now? Lmfao.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

9 people voted for the AFC South so we win. ;)

Except in 2009 and 2010 where he had bad run blocking but still dominated? How many times do I have to disprove that stupid argument? Because it's really getting old.

The proof of them sucking in 2010: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2010

The proof of them being below average in 2009: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2009

How is this proof?

You assume I accept their word that ALY is a good way to measure how good an offensive line is. I'm not even sure I understand everything that is going into their calculation.

I'll just remain happy knowing the Titans have arguably, along with AP, the best back in the league.

Oh, and by the way..CJ has been running behind a worse offensive line than AP every year. Ohhh, what now? Lmfao.

Lol. You do that.

AP, Forte, Arian Foster, Steven Jackson, and LeSean McCoy, just to name a few, are all better backs then Chris Johnson. Did you even watch the Panthers game? Did you see how many times he failed to make cuts? He kept trying to bust big plays instead of just putting his head down, going north-south, and picking up the first down.

You continually try to make this an argument between CJ being a bad back or an elite one. That's not my position- he's a good running-back, but only when people give him holes. He can hit holes like few in the league, but he can't run over people or make them miss. That's what separates a merely good back from an elite one.

or make them miss

tumblr_luoz1m2dXv1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

Yep. This just confirmed what I thought all along.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Can we ban Chris Johnson debates from this forum?

Can we ban Chris Johnson debates from this forum?

Only if we can ban Packers discussion, too. :yep::shifty:

Gonna chime in here and say, I think we can give a guy with over 1200 yards in each of his first 3 seasons and at least 9 tds rushing the benefit including a 2000+ yard rushing season with 16 TD's and over 2500 total yards from scrimmage the benefit of the doubt on his eliteness with a slow first half to the season.

To thanat... whoever invited a fucking Panthers fan?.. and whomever else keeps harping on CJ2k not ever being elite/top 5/ very good/a pansy: I'm starting to think you guys are all way over-thinking it or maybe just have some ax to grind. Elite is as elite does. CJ has produced where as until this season where as whomever you're touting as better (barring 1 or two guys) has likely not produced as well as he has. Soon he may not consistently produce and we will have to re-evaluate (as many already are). My guess is he comes back strong to finish the season as he's shown flashes of doing in the past few games.

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Downvote 1

Gonna chime in here and say, I think we can give a guy with over 1200 yards in each of his first 3 seasons and at least 9 tds rushing the benefit including a 2000+ yard rushing season with 16 TD's and over 2500 total yards from scrimmage the benefit of the doubt on his eliteness with a slow first half to the season.

To thanat... whoever invited a fucking Panthers fan?.. and whomever else keeps harping on CJ2k not ever being elite/top 5/ very good/a pansy: I'm starting to think you guys are all way over-thinking it or maybe just have some ax to grind. Elite is as elite does. CJ has produced where as until this season where as whomever you're touting as better (barring 1 or two guys) has likely not produced as well as he has. Soon he may not consistently produce and we will have to re-evaluate (as many already are). My guess is he comes back strong to finish the season as he's shown flashes of doing in the past few games.

Shhhhhh GA, using logic here doesn't work out too well. :shifty:

Yep. This just confirmed what I thought all along.

I meant he can't make people miss like AP, Forte, etc. Which is in the exact same line.

To thanat... whoever invited a fucking Panthers fan?

What the fuck?

Yes, I'm a Panthers fan, and not a team of a fan with a huge fan-base, so sorry. I have been since their inception. Yes, my team's been shitty the past couple of years, but if I was no longer a fan because of that, what type of fan would I be?

And I'd rather be a Panthers fan than an Eagles fan. How's that Dream Team working out for ya?

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 2

I meant he can't make people miss like AP, Forte, etc. Which is in the exact same line.

All this confirms to me is that yesterday was the first time you've ever watched Chris Johnson play. But oh well, I'm going to honor what I said and not bother starting another argument. We'll agree to disagree, I guess :yep:

Edit: It's not like GA to say something like that, so I'm sure he was either joking, or was just in a really bad mood at the time. Don't look too much in to it, he didn't mean anything by it.

Edited by .AirMcNair.