Tridentdawgpound

2011-12 MLB Offseason thread

Sadly, there will be no baseball until April. Luckily, the Hot Stove is churning. So many storylines: Fielder and Pujols are free agents, will CC Sabathia opt out and go elsewhere? Where will CJ Wilson end up? How do you think your team is going to improve and where do you think your needs are?

Personally for the Braves, I want a new SS (that will probably be Tyler Pastornicky from AAA) and an everyday LF like a Josh Willingham, making Prado the common utility man.

I want Yanks to improve the pitching staff with a new badass pitcher alongside CC...

Pujols: Returning to St. Louis.

Fielder: Cubs

CJ Wilson: Yankees

CC: Returns to Yankees

As for the Pirates, I think we'll take a look at a few mid-level pitchers, and maybe add a 1B if Lee doesn't come back. There are a few guys in the minors who could come up at some point this year and make an impact, most notably LHP Jeff Locke and OF Gorkys Hernandez, if we find our outfield depleted by injury. 2012 will be the final year of transition for the Pirates. Jameson Taillon will begin to ascend up the minors, as will Gerrit Cole.

I look for our young core of McCutchen, Walker, Tabata and Alvarez to continue to improve (and we are really pulling for Alvarez... we need him so badly). A few of the pitchers we had this year should have solid seasons next year, mainly Charlie Morton and James McDonald. Overall, I think the Pirates will come dangerously close to .500 in 2012 but fall just short, somewhere around 78 wins. In 2013, though, it's on like Donkey Kong.

Bring me Yu Darvish and I want it now.

We picked up the options on Adam Wainwright. Re-signed Chris Carpenter. Berkman is going to be back another year.

I'd love to re-sign Rafael Furcal. He really solidified an error prone position at SS for us in the second half and it would be awesome to have him back.

I'd also like to bring back bullpen arm Octavio Dotel and wouldn't be against bringing back starter Edwin Jackson... Although he is likely going to ask for more money than we feel he is worth.

I'm not really a baseball fan at all, but speaking for my "teams" (Brewers and Cubs) both would benefit greatly from signing Fielder.

I hope Milwaukee does, because they have the best chance right now at a WS title so signing Fielder would get them close than the Cubs.

Well... Looks like we need a new manager. lol

This probably hurts the chances that Albert comes back.... They were pretty close, from what I understand. :(

Edited by Favre4Ever

Derek Lowe got traded to the Indians for some guy. Don't care what the return is. No Lowe = Better rotation

Boooo.

CC Sabathia announced Monday that he has agreed to a contract extension to stay with the Yankees.

The news comes as a major surprise, as most expected him to opt out of the remaining four years and $92 million left on his contract and hit free agency. No word yet on exact terms, but the new contract figures to surpass Cliff Lee for the highest average annual value ($24 million) for a pitcher. Stay tuned.

Source: Zoodig.com

According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, CC Sabathia will earn $122 million over the next five seasons.

The Yankees will keep their ace in the fold. In what amounts to a one-year contract extension, Sabathia will receive $25 million in 2016 while the contract includes a $25 million option for 2017 or a $5 million buyout. The 31-year-old left-hander will make an average of $24.4 million over the next five seasons, which tops Cliff Lee ($24 million) as the highest average annual value for a pitcher. According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the option for 2017 will vest automatically unless Sabathia ends the 2016 season on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, spends more than 45 days on the disabled list in 2016 due to a shoulder injury or makes at least six relief appearances in 2016 due to shoulder issues.

Source: Buster Olney on Twitter

I hope the M's can some how get Prince Fielder im so sick of watching these pitchers lose games because the offense stinks i mean Fister goes to Detroit and wins 7 games.

Plus he would fit in nicely in between Smoak and Ackley.

Edited by Sacks98

Derek Lowe got traded to the Indians for some guy. Don't care what the return is. No Lowe = Better rotation

lul Indians

The Pirates will not bring back LHP Paul Maholm, C Chris Snyder, C Ryan Doumit and SS Ronny Cedeno.

We have money to spend and holes to fill. May be a semi-interesting offseason in the 'burgh for a change.

Edited by Sarge

Gonna be a really interesting offseason for the Phils. Notes of interest:

-Jimmy Rollins. I want to re-sign him, but wouldn't want to dish out more than 3 years/$30 million. Jimmy has already said that he won't give a hometown discount and wants a 5-year deal. Looks like we'll either have to overpay or let him go entirely. Even though I hate losing leadership, I favor towards letting him walk because of the rest of this list...

-Ryan Madson. Would love to re-sign him, but he's probably gonna want top end closer money, which he absolutely deserves. I wouldn't mind signing a guy like Joe Nathan if Mad Dog goes elsewhere, but we need to find a closer. Antonio Bastardo is not gonna be that guy.

-Placido Polanco. He's old and deteriorating, but his defense is still Gold Glove caliber, and is there a better option out there at third base?

-Domonic Brown. Is the kid ready for the big leagues or not? If he is, he needs to platoon in left field with Ben Francisco or somebody else. (Ultimately Mayberry, but he starts the season at first base with Howard out for awhile.)

-Cole Hamels. Need to lock this kid up long-term. He needs to be a Phillie for life.

And then generally speaking...

-The lineup. Do we need to get rid of some vets and shake things up? Do we need to alter our approach at the plate? Are the guys we have now fine? Decisions must be made.

-The bullpen. It's not a glaring weakness, but it could use some depth. Wouldn't mind picking up a few guys.

-Back end of the rotation. If we trade Vance Worley, do we re-sign Roy Oswalt on the cheap (we already declined his option) or get somebody else?

The only thing I want for Christmas is for the Redsox to go after Jose Reyes. They won't, but I wish lol

The St. Louis Cardinals have received permission from the Philadelphia Phillies to interview Ryne Sandberg for their vacant managerial job, a baseball source familiar with the situation confirmed to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

Source: ESPN

Following this, Theo announced that the Cubs would only hire a manager with pro managerial experience, ruling out Sandberg. :facepalm:

According to MLB.com's Mark Bowman, the Braves are taking trade offers for Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado.

Atlanta would be looking to add power and open up salary for a free agent shortstop through the trades. The Royals have already expressed interest in obtaining Jurrjens, who registered a stellar 2.96 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in 23 starts this year. And many clubs will be calling about Prado, who boasts a .293/.341/.434 career batting line and can play a variety of defensive positions. This offseason could see one or two blockbuster trades.

Source: MLBlogs.com

Jurrjens is a fly ball pitcher who benefited from a good defense behind him last year, I wouldn't mind seeing him shipped. Prado could be a great utility guy IE 2010 Omar Infante but I want a bat like Josh Willingham in LF and clearing Prado's salary would go a long way towards that.

Phillies signed Jim Thome to a 1-year, $1.25 million deal. Pretty cheap for a bench guy who loves playing in Philly. I like it.

Also, doesn't look like Jimmy Rollins is gonna get the market he's looking for. Really hoping we can still re-sign him somewhere in the 3-year/$30 million range.

Phillies signed Jim Thome to a 1-year, $1.25 million deal. Pretty cheap for a bench guy who loves playing in Philly. I like it.

Also, doesn't look like Jimmy Rollins is gonna get the market he's looking for. Really hoping we can still re-sign him somewhere in the 3-year/$30 million range.

Thome will get time at first base and I think Mayberry is going to get a lot of starts at first base and LF this year

Ultimately the Phillies need Chase Utley to be Chase Utley again. I think maybe the health and play of Utley has the most to do with the decline of our line up. Idk if Utley can be Utley again though. Maybe the Phils need to revisit the idea of trading for Michael Young.

Looks like the Phillies are going hard for Michael Cuddyer. I wouldn't mind the signing, but if we're going to target an older, type A free agent, I'd rather grab Aramis Ramirez. But it really seems like Amaro likes Cuddyer, and more often than not, Amaro gets who he wants.

By Tim Dierkes [November 7 at 12:08pm CST]

The Royals acquired lefty Jonathan Sanchez and minor league starter Ryan Verdugo from the Giants for outfielder Melky Cabrera, announced the team.

Sanchez, 28, may have been a non-tender candidate for the Giants after a disappointing 2011 season that saw him walk 5.9 per nine innings and miss significant time with biceps tendinitis and a sprained ankle. The southpaw is tough to hit and has big-time strikeout numbers, but control has always been a problem. He projects to earn $5.2MM in 2012, after which he'll be eligible for free agency. That he was traded for one year of Cabrera shows how much his trade value slipped during the '11 season. Sanchez was set to battle Barry Zito for the Giants' fifth starter job next year.

Cabrera had the opposite experience in 2011, as he had a resurgence after being non-tendered and signing a $1.25MM free agent deal. The 27-year-old hit .305/.339/.470 with 18 home runs in 706 plate appearances for the Royals, playing mostly center field. UZR suggests he is a below-average defender there, though there seems a good chance the Giants continue to use him in center. If so, Andres Torres could become expendable. Cabrera is projected to earn $4.4MM in 2012, after which he'll be eligible for free agency.

Verdugo, a 24-year-old Double-A southpaw, went to Kansas City along with Sanchez in the deal. Baseball America ranked him 25th among Giants prospects prior to the season, describing him as a deceptive lefty who misses bats but has minus command. Verdugo was a starter in college and returned to that role last year.

Source: MLBTradeRumors.com

Apparently the Phillies are close to re-signing Ryan Madson to a deal in the neighborhood of 4 years, $44 million.

Too much dough, IMO. :yep:

Not only did the Phillies not land Madson, Papelbon is now on his way there on a 4y/$50M deal...which is FAR too much for a closer, even for a crazy motherfucker like Paps who is perfect for the job.