Anthony

Update: Urban Meyer to be next Ohio State football coach, sources confirm

Multiple sources close to the Ohio State football program have confirmed that Urban Meyer is assembling a coaching staff after agreeing to become the next head football coach at Ohio State.

The deal between Meyer and Ohio State was consumated in principle earlier this week in Columbus but not signed. It includes a multi-year contract that will make Meyer once again one of college football’s highest paid coaches.

In additon to Meyer’s generous compensation package, sources said a major factor in the coach’s decision to agree to take the position was the school promising him the budget to assemble what is expected to become the highest-paid assistant coaching staff in college football history.

Of that staff, sources indicate Meyer’s intial plan is to retain current Ohio State head football coach Luke Fickell and current Buckeye wide receivers coach Stan Drayton.

Meyer also aims to add Chris Spielman, Kirk Herbstreit, current North Carolina State linebackers coach Jon Tenuta and current LSU offensive line coach Greg Studwara to his Ohio State staff.

Studwara was offensive line coach for Bowling Green when Meyer was the head coach of the Falcons in 2001 and 2002. One source indicated Studwara is being considered by Meyer as possible offensive coordinator for the Buckeyes.

Meyer was one of two candidates Ohio State contacted during its hiring process. Jon Gruden was also approached by the school, but declined interest.

Source: SBB

Edited by BLUE

He'll soon realize Tebow isn't there and run home crying to his family. :yep:

Edited by .AirMcNair.

I'm kind of glad that he went to OSU as opposed to another school because I didn't have any respect for the Bucks in the first place. I didn't want him to go to a school that I had respect for.

Go from the vest to Urban Meyer... Talk about polar opposites.

He'll soon realize Tebow isn't there and run home crying to his family. :yep:

Braxton Miller is a not too dissimilar QB.

Braxton Miller is a not too dissimilar QB.

Here's to hoping his accuracy improves in the near future. :beerchug2:

FTR...

Urban was doing the Michigan - Nebraska game and in between plays they asked him about the rumor if he was offerend and that he has accepted the HC job for OSU. He said it was completely false and that he hasn't been contacted by any teams for a HC job.

Obviously it still could be true, but I thought maybe the OSU fans here might like to hear something good. lol :p

By Tim May

Two well-placed sources at Ohio State University confirmed for The Dispatch this morning that Urban Meyer will be announced next week as the next head football coach of the Buckeyes.

But the sources also said final terms for a deal – such as length of contract and financial remuneration – have not been decided, despite recent reports to the contrary. Also, the sources said that though interim head coach Luke Fickell has not been in the loop, he will be taken care of when or if Meyer accepts the job. In what capacity, the sources weren’t sure.

As for Meyer, the former national-championship-winning coach at Florida who has spent the season as an analyst for ESPN, he could be not be reached for comment. But sources say he has told acquaintances he has not been formally offered the job by OSU, and he reiterated that in a statement released through ESPN this morning.

“I have not been offered any job nor is there a deal in place,” the Meyer statement said. “I plan on spending Thanksgiving with my family and will not comment on this any further.”

Fickell maintained his focus this week is on the Michigan game, and he reiterated that when asked whether he had been apprised of the university's plans.

"I know there is a game at noon on Saturday and my ass will be there," Fickell said.

WKMG-TV in Orlando, Fla., reported on Tuesday night that Meyer had agreed in principle to a seven-year, $40 million contract to coach the Buckeyes. OSU sources said figures were not accurate, but did not provide any other terms.

Ohio State, the sources said, also is considering when to make the announcement, which may depend on whether the Buckeyes defeat Michigan on Saturday in their regular-season finale. The sources said the announcement could come as early as Monday.

Ohio State leaders reportedly zeroed in on Meyer, an Ohio native, several weeks ago, according to the sources, an effort that accelerated after OSU’s upset loss at Purdue that for all intents and purposes took the Buckeyes out of the running for the Big Ten championship.

Ohio State is still awaiting word from the NCAA committee on infractions concerning final penalties from an NCAA investigation over the past 11 months that, among other things, caused the school to seek the resignation of 10-year coach Jim Tressel on May 30.

Fickell was elevated from assistant head coach to interim head coach that day. At the same time, the university made it clear that at regular season’s end it intended to reassess the head coaching position and that it would consider candidates – including Fickell – for the permanent job. However, it also said it would honor Fickell’s two-year contract as assistant head coach which runs through February 2013.

Meyer, who grew up in Ashtabula, went to the University of Cincinnati, and was a graduate assistant coach at Ohio State in the mid-1980s under coach Earle Bruce. After becoming a head coach at Bowling Green in 2001 he swiftly turned the Falcons into a winner, going 17-6 over two years before leaving for Utah. He worked the same magic with the Utes, leading them to an undefeated season in 2004, including a win over Pittsburgh in the Fiesta Bowl.

After being courted heavily by Florida and Notre Dame, he took the Florida job in 2005 and a year later led the Gators to a national championship win over Ohio State. In 2008 the Gators, led by quarterback Tim Tebow, won the national title again.

Meyer tried to step away from coaching in December 2009 due to health concerns, but quickly changed his mind. He took a leave of absence but returned for the 2010 season, only to retire again in December.

“I have been a Division I football coach for the last 25 years and, during that time, my primary focus has been helping my teams win titles,” he said in a statement explaining the move back then. “ I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and I am a fierce competitor to my core. At this time in my life, however, I appreciate the sacrifices my 24/7 profession has demanded of me, and I know it is time to put my focus on my family and life away from the field. The decision to step down was a difficult one.

“But after spending more than two decades motivating and celebrating the young men I’ve been so proud to coach, I relish the opportunity to cheer for my three terrific kids as they compete in their own respective sports. I know how fortunate I am to be in a position to make this choice and to have a family that is as loving and supportive as my amazing wife and children have always been."

Apparently, according to the sources at Ohio State, he is ready to get back into the game, and the Buckeyes apparently are eager to have him.

Source: The Columbus Dispatch

If this is true then OSU will be in good hands. You have to respect Meyer's ability to win and make players look great regardless of personal feeligns about him. His name alone will attract talent, and he'll have good access to Florida's talent pool for recruiting. I'd say this is a great job to take and a great decision for a HC.

I really admire what Tressel, Cooper, Bruce and Hayes were able to do for my universities football program. I know many of you do not respect Ohio State and based on recent events, it's not hard to see why. As a former student athlete (I use that term loosely :)), I know each coach I mentioned above were/are respected men and really loved the program and their players. I know there is enormous pressure from the business side of college football to win and sometimes that gets in the way of ones principals and morals. Watch Declining By Degrees on NetFlix sometime to get an idea about the business side of a major university.

I know Meyers will help Ohio State win but I'm not sure I like who he is as a person. I hope I'm wrong about him and he proves to be a coach with some morality that can win football games.

• Upvote 1

jk

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Despite numerous reports saying he's all but set to become Ohio State's next football coach, Urban Meyer said Wednesday that is not the case.

"I have not been offered any job nor is there a deal in place," the former Florida coach said in a statement released through ESPN, where he is a college football analyst. "I plan on spending Thanksgiving with my family and will not comment on this any further."

Several websites, TV stations and The Columbus Dispatch have reported that Meyer has reached an agreement in principle with Ohio State and, barring any last-minute problems, will be introduced as the Buckeyes' coach next week.

People within the athletic department and close to the team told The Associated Press the job has not been offered to Meyer and nothing has been completed. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the coaching search is supposed to be confidential. Athletic director Gene Smith declined to comment Wednesday.

Ohio State, under interim coach Luke Fickell, plays at No. 17 Michigan on Saturday. Fickell, who some reports have said will be retained on Meyer's staff, declined to address the story, which has been percolating for days.

"No, I won't," he said Wednesday. "It's not about that. I'm going to have enough respect for this football game to make sure it's about this football game. I don't think this is the time and the place."

Speaking briefly to reporters, he was asked if he knew whether a decision on a new coach had been reached.

"I know there's a game at noon on Saturday," he said.

Meyer is from Ashtabula and was a graduate assistant at Ohio State under Earle Bruce in the 1980s. He grew up an Ohio State fan and has said he has a portrait of legendary Buckeyes coach Woody Hayes hanging prominently in his home.

In addition to winning national titles in Florida in 2006 and 2008, he also has been a head coach at Bowling Green and Utah and worked as an assistant at Notre Dame, Colorado State and Illinois State.

He announced in December 2009 he was stepping away from coaching because of health concerns, but quickly changed his mind. After taking a leave of absence, he returned to the sidelines for the 2010 season and then retired again in December.

Alabama coach Nick Saban said he would welcome Meyer back into the coaching fraternity.

"Urban Meyer is a very good coach, he's a good teacher. He's good for young people," Saban said on the Southeastern Conference coaches conference call this week. "If coaching is in his heart, I think that's what he should do."

One of Meyer's star players at Florida, Tim Tebow, also said he was glad to hear Meyer might be coming back to coaching.

"Whatever he decides to do, I'll be 100 percent behind him," said the Denver Broncos quarterback. "It will be exciting to see what happens. I know, more than anything, he wants to be right by his family and have their support in anything he does. Most of when we've talked it's been about that. When he comes back, he's going to be a great coach, and I'm excited to see what happens."

Saban said he understood why Meyer had apparently changed his mind about returning to coaching.

"As you go through life and you do things and you make choices and decisions about what you do — and I know his involved circumstances around his health — but still you learn about yourself in everything you do," Saban said. "As you learn these things, sometimes things change in terms of what his direction is. I think everybody has to do that, and I don't think anybody should be criticized for that."

Jim Tressel was pressured to resign on May 30 after 10 years as the coach of the Buckeyes. His downfall came about when it was learned that he knew that several of his players had accepted cash and tattoos from a tattoo parlor, the focus of a federal drug-trafficking investigation. Ohio State is awaiting NCAA penalties stemming from several violations.

Fickell, a defensive assistant coach for nine years, was promoted to head coach.

In a season with NCAA sanctions looming, several players suspended and injuries to important players, the Buckeyes have gone 6-5 — their worst season since Tressel went 7-5 in his first season in 2001. Should the Buckeyes lose at Michigan on Saturday, the 6-6 mark would be their worst since John Cooper went 6-6 in 1999.

The speculation about Meyer has been making the rounds for weeks.

One of the top football recruits in Ohio for next fall, defensive end Adolphus Washington from Cincinnati's Taft High School, committed to Ohio State on Tuesday. Asked at his news conference who he thought would be coaching the Buckeyes next season, he said, "I believe Urban Meyer. I hope so."

Various reports say Urban is in, Urban says he hasn't been offered anything...

SOMEBODY'S LYING

Various reports say Urban is in, Urban says he hasn't been offered anything...

SOMEBODY'S LYING

I'd put my money on Urban lying--AGAIN

The first lie was retiring because of his "stress related health problems, and wanting to spend more time with his family".

Is Ohio State, now facing NCAA discipline, a less stressful job than Florida?

Former Florida coach Urban Meyer has taken the head coaching job at Ohio State, sources confirmed to ESPN on Monday morning.

Meyer, who led the Gators to two national championships before stepping down to spend more time with his family amid ongoing reports of health concerns, had worked as a game analyst this season for ESPN.

But he asked to be taken off his assignments for the network this weekend as reports swirled of his imminent hire with the Buckeyes.

Columbus will be the fourth stop in Meyer's coaching career. He had a 104-23 record over 10 seasons with Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. From 2001-10, he had five 10-win seasons, the two BCS titles with the Gators and a 7-1 record in bowl games.

Sources told WKMG-TV in Orlando last week that Meyer would be introduced in coming days after agreeing to a seven-year, $40 million deal.

The Buckeyes capped their season Saturday with their first loss to Michigan in seven years, a 40-34 defeat that left them at 6-6, 3-5 in the Big Ten.

It marked the most points Michigan had scored against Ohio State since putting up 58 in 1946 and the first time since 1999 that the Buckeyes finished under .500 in conference play.

Ohio State had been led by interim coach Luke Fickell after Jim Tressel was forced to resign nearly six months ago amid a tattoo-parlor scandal involving star Buckeyes quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who now plays for the Oakland Raiders.

On Saturday, Fickell tried his best to avoid questions about his future and pounded a table after one such query.

"Like I said, it's about the Ohio State-Michigan game," Fickell said. "It's been about that since last Sunday. It's going to be about that always."

Source: ESPN

Oh well, I've come to grips with having this quitter at the head of the Buckeyes. Better win to keep him, fellas.

Everyone knows my thoughts on the matter. Let's see what happens. I'll support this move for now.

I wonder how long his 'health' will hold up. LOL

I'll support this move for now.

I wonder how long his 'health' will hold up. LOL

That's my thought.

He had the less stressful position as a commentator for ESPN. I understand his love for coaching (and winning) but still.. when giving the reason of health for leaving Florida, what makes this different? It seems all too strange but then again, I've never been in that debacle. While I can't pull myself to root for tOSU, this was a great hire. The Buckeyes will continue to be a force.. and I can't wait until they face another SEC team.

And on top of all this, there's no way Herb joins his staff. He's a staple on College Gameday. If he wanted into the coaching game, he would have jumped in a long time ago. Wishful thinking.