Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Cowboys interested in Brandon Carr

All the talk prior to free agency is over which offensive lineman the Cowboys might sign. But another high-profile player at a different position could end up being the apple of their eyes. Sources have said the Cowboys would love for Chiefs CB Brandon Carr to hit the open market, so they can make a run at him. The expectation is that the Chiefs could franchise Carr and are said to be in fine cap shape, but they also have WR Dwayne Bowe to worry about. If Carr somehow makes it to March 13 unsigned, expect the Cowboys to go all in for him and worry about a high-profile guard (Carl Nicks or someone else)

Source: Pro Football Weekly

Edited by GoodellFTL

This would be an awesome signing for Dallas. Carr was great in KC.

idk if I'd say he was great in KC but he was very good. Regardless he'd be an instant upgrade in the seconary for Dallas.

• Upvote 1

idk if I'd say he was great in KC but he was very good. Regardless he'd be an instant upgrade in the seconary for Dallas.

He has been getting better every season though. He's still really young and entering his prime. Depending on his asking price, it's a fairly low-risk signing, imo.

He has been getting better every season though. He's still really young and entering his prime. Depending on his asking price, it's a fairly low-risk signing, imo.

All of this is true, but he's never been asked to guard the #1 guy since Flowers got there. If they want to use him as a shutdown corner, they may be in for a surprise.

All of this is true, but he's never been asked to guard the #1 guy since Flowers got there. If they want to use him as a shutdown corner, they may be in for a surprise.

He handidly outplayed Flowers last year. Flowers struggles with any player that has great speed, regardless of where they are on the depth chart.

If the worst case scenario is that the Cowboys snag themselves a shut down cover corner at the 2 spot, I think they will be more than happy.

"Since Flowers got there"? They were drafted in the same season.

YES PLEASE

Yeah, would definitely be down for this signing.

Whoever said it's a low-risk signing is right, too. I mean what the hell, what do we got to lose? He couldn't possibly make our secondary any worse than it already is...

He handidly outplayed Flowers last year. Flowers struggles with any player that has great speed, regardless of where they are on the depth chart.

If the worst case scenario is that the Cowboys snag themselves a shut down cover corner at the 2 spot, I think they will be more than happy.

I don't really think that Carr handily outplayed Flowers at all. They were both pretty good, and I wouldn't call Carr a shutdown corner. He's very good, but shutdown might be a bit much. Besides, with Dallas's secondary in the shape it is in, Carr would most likely be the #1 CB on that team. I'm not saying that it won't work. I'm just not going to anoint Carr as the next great CB despite him never really lining up against #1 WRs with any sort of consistency. Carr is super solid though, and he does play man-to-man very well.

"Since Flowers got there"? They were drafted in the same season.

Yeah, I don't know why I thought Carr was there an extra year.

I don't really think that Carr handily outplayed Flowers at all. They were both pretty good, and I wouldn't call Carr a shutdown corner. He's very good, but shutdown might be a bit much. Besides, with Dallas's secondary in the shape it is in, Carr would most likely be the #1 CB on that team. I'm not saying that it won't work. I'm just not going to anoint Carr as the next great CB despite him never really lining up against #1 WRs with any sort of consistency. Carr is super solid though, and he does play man-to-man very well.

Yeah, I don't know why I thought Carr was there an extra year.

Brandon Flowers - Thrown at 86 times, 53% catch rate allowed, 14.5 yards given up per catch, 8 TDs allowed (only corner in the league to give up more is new chief Stanford Routt), 4 INT, 8 PD, QBs had a rating of 90.6 throwing at Flowers

Brandon Carr - Thrown at 79 times, 49% catch rate allowed, 13 yards given up per catch, 3 TDs allowed, 4 INT, 7 PD, QBs had a rating of 61.7 throwing at Carr

Javier Arenas - Thrown at 37 times, 62% catch rate allowed, 11 yards given up per catch, 0 TDs allowed, 4 INT, 4 PD, QBs had a passer rating of 59.9 throwing at Arenas.

Now.. I am not saying Flowers is bad or whatever. I love Brandon Flowers.. And like you mentioned, more times than not, he will be lining up against the #1 WR.... But like I said earlier... Carr has gotten better and better and better. I expect him to take his game to the next level again in 2012. Maybe he will stumble a little going against a higher caliber of WR... But I still feel like he is going to be more than solid.

• Upvote 1

ESPN Dallas reports the Cowboys are planning to target CBs Cortland Finnegan and Brandon Carr in free agency.

Pro Football Weekly reported Monday that the Cowboys "covet" Carr, but they had yet to be publicly linked to Finnegan. Dallas is in dire need of upgrading what was one of the league's worst secondaries in 2011, but landing the market's top corner in Finnegan won't be easy. In position to start a bidding war, he is reportedly seeking a five- to six-year deal worth at least $10 million annually. Signing either Finnegan or Carr would officially spell the end of Terence Newman's time in Big D.

Related: Brandon Carr, Cowboys

Source: ESPN Dallas

I doubt that Finny leaves Tennessee, but they should be able to sign Carr.

Guest Phailadelphia

Man if Dallas could get both Finnegan and Carr in free agency it'd leave so much room for OL/DL drafting.

Jerry was pretty quiet last year during FA so this year I expect him to make some noise.