Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Payton, Loomis, Williams suspended

I didn't hear about this until a friend of mine came into work this afternoon and I was like...

Ahhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiit,

Roger Goodell looks something like this...

large.jpg

I didn't hear about this until a friend of mine came into work this afternoon and I was like...

Ahhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiit,

Roger Goodell looks something like this...

large.jpg

I'm sorry in advance for this.

STOP. (BAN)HAMMER TIME!

Edited by Thanatos19

So it's okay to tell your players to hurt someone on the other team so long as you don't pay for it?

The Ravens were clearly trying to hurt CJ(and eventually succeeded) in the 08 playoff game, but I don't remember anyone really giving a shit afterwards. I don't have a problem with it either. Do just about anything to win.

A grand is a grand no matter how much you make in a year. And your contention that there's "Bounty systems everywhere?" Just because something is widespread, or has been going on for a long time doesn't make it right. By that logic I shouldn't go to jail for murder because murder is widespread and happens all the time, right? I'm just doing what everyone else does right? So according to you it's ok? Good. I'll just go murder your family and then when you prosecute me i'll make that arguement to the judge and see how it goes. (No I'm not threatening you, just making a point.)

Football is a sport. It is to be played like a sport. Practices like this make teams nothing more than glorified hitmen. The league has spoken. This shit isn't going to be allowed to happen anymore. The Saints admitted to what they did, and the league has plenty of evidence of players that were targetted. The Saints are reaping what they've sewn. They violated the rules, as well as basic human decency. If you really think this isn't a big deal and they should have gotten off lighter, than how about I go pay someone to break your legs and then we'll see how you feel about it?

LOL. You are clueless. Debating strawmen arguments is a surefire way to lose all credibility on this site.

Want to point to the part in my post where I said it was okay for the bounty systems to be put in place? I never ONCE said that I agreed with their actions. My entire debate, dating back to the other thread, is that if you crack down on the Saints you must crack down on the numerous other teams with a similar bounty system. But please, continue to put words in my mouth and make ridiculous "points" about murdering my family or breaking my legs.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 2

For me, this definitely comes down to Goodell making an example of the Saints and saying that this sort of behavior (bounties) and outright lying to him will not be tolerated and there will be severe consequences for that behavior. I wish the other suspensions and fines he's handed out over the years (like spygate) were treated this harshly though because he looks very inconsistent at this point. I didn't think Goodell would be this harsh...the NFC South should be interesting this year :yep:

Sorry if someone has brought this up, I haven't had time to read through the thread yet but...

Anyone else think the Saints got off easy with being forced to give up two 2nd rounders?!

If they completely bomb this year without Sean, Loomis, and half the defense... They could be rewarded with a Top 5 pick or so. Kinda lame.

Want to point to the part in my post where I said it was okay for the bounty systems to be put in place? I never ONCE said that I agreed with their actions. My entire debate, dating back to the other thread, is that if you crack down on the Saints you must crack down on the numerous other teams with a similar bounty system.

Only issue with this is, as Goodell said on NFLN this afternoon (pretty sure that's where it was), there aren't any other teams with this in place.

I thought they had traded their 2013 1st rounder. Is that incorrect?

I thought they had traded their 2013 1st rounder. Is that incorrect?

from a quick google search I found nothing indicating that

Yeah, they have no first rounder this year because of the trade to get Mark Ingram last year (lol).

Wow... talk about a harsh suspension!!!

I can't recall the last time a coach was suspended for a year without pay! Goodell really brought the hammer down!

Wow... talk about a harsh suspension!!!

I can't recall the last time a coach was suspended for a year without pay! Goodell really brought the hammer down!

I'm pretty sure the commentators have said it's unprecedented

I'm pretty sure the commentators have said it's unprecedented

Ah, okay. I just caught the news recently and haven't seen the video yet.

The Saints are really screwed this year! The NFC South is gonna be fun to watch.

Man, this is awesome. This offseason keeps getting better as a Bucs fan.

The fucking deserve every punishment they get. Their moment in the Katrina spotlight is up. The NFL is working with the players association to determine suspensions/fines for known players involved in the system. You can definitely expect Vilma to be suspended for 4-8 games since his name is the one that comes up most often.

Their leadership is crippled, they'll have a new play caller on both sides of the ball and their franchise QB has been disgruntled all along. I wouldn't be surprised if Brees leaves after the way they've handled his contract but also with all the negativity surrounding the franchise now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brees leaves after the way they've handled his contract but also with all the negativity surrounding the franchise now.

Would trading Brees for a stockpile of draft picks and entering rebuilding mode be such a horrible idea at this point?

Would trading Brees for a stockpile of draft picks and entering rebuilding mode be such a horrible idea at this point?

probably not, but if the GM is suspended who's gonna make that call?

Hmmm...It wouldn't be a terrible idea as their window is closing but I still think they have enough talent on their roster to where they can compete in the playoffs for a SB.

probably not, but if the GM is suspended who's gonna make that call?

I don't believe he'll be suspended until the first week of the season, maybe not even then. They haven't actually stated what weeks he'll be suspended for.

I don't believe he'll be suspended until the first week of the season, maybe not even then. They haven't actually stated what weeks he'll be suspended for.

It's 8 games so it only makes sense it would be the first 8 games. He would still be back by the trade deadline, no?

It's 8 games so it only makes sense it would be the first 8 games. He would still be back by the trade deadline, no?

Loomis' suspension starts after the final preseason game when the rosters are paired down to 53.

He will still be there for the draft and to do signings of FA and draft picks.

Paytons start on April 1st. Will not be able to participate in the offseason at all or regular season at all.

Vitt, I am not sure about. He might be able to coach during the preseason but I don't see the point of it really.

There is also talk about appealing, I don't think they should do that since it would just go back to Roger and he will just say "Really? You're gonna appeal this?"

Plus trade deadline is 6 weeks is it not?

Edited by Eefluxx

I will still be a New Orleans Saints fan. I will still wear my black and gold glasses, wear my black and gold and shout "Who Dat" on gameday and everyday in between. I grew up a Saints when paper bags were popular and have continued to this day to root for my team and will continue to do so.

Call me what you want, but in the 40 years I have been alive I have learned not to care what others think of me or about me (espcially on the internet). I do appreciate some fans from other teams on this site saying the punishment was too harsh but it is what it is. It's happened and once the players get their fines and suspenions handed down then the team and the fans can move on.

well said, and that's exactly what anyone should expect from a fan

Loomis' suspension starts after the final preseason game when the rosters are paired down to 53.

He will still be there for the draft and to do signings of FA and draft picks.

Paytons start on April 1st. Will not be able to participate in the offseason at all or regular season at all.

Vitt, I am not sure about. He might be able to coach during the preseason but I don't see the point of it really.

There is also talk about appealing, I don't think they should do that since it would just go back to Roger and he will just say "Really? You're gonna appeal this?"

Plus trade deadline is 6 weeks is it not?

thanks, I wasn't sure when those started, and yes, the trade deadline typically is week 6

In either case, while its not a bad idea, I don't think they will make any trades involving Brees.