Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan Vs. field revisited....

Can't remember if it was last offsseason, or the offseason before that but this debate of Flacco Vs. Ryan came up in a thread... And a lot of comments read something towards the line of, "the both suck, I would take Bradford, Freeman over them".

So I bring it up now, who's better b/w Flacco and Ryan? And how would you rank them in comparison to some of the other 'young guns'.

As of now I'd have to say Flacco. But it's not by much and it's not like either of them are QBs that I'd want starting for my team. They're both average.

So hard to say. Matty Ice was solid during the regular season but did nothing in the playoffs. Flacco was shit during the regular season but really good in the playoffs. 2012 will be a big season for both.

So hard to say. Matty Ice was solid during the regular season but did nothing in the playoffs. Flacco was shit during the regular season but really good in the playoffs. 2012 will be a big season for both.

Really good? Que?

Against Houston, he was sacked 5 times and had a 51.9 completion percentage. Yeah, he did have 2:0 TD to INT ratio, but that was thanks to Jacoby Jones/Tyler Yates' fuck-ups which gave Flacco & Co a short field to work with.

He did have a good game against the Pats, but come on, how many QBs didn't have a good game against the Pats horrid secondary?

And IMO, Flacco and Ryan are both equally dog shit. Game managers that people continually love to hype up.

• Upvote 1

Flacco's stats may not have been sexy against Houston, but he made the throws when he needed to, and didn't make any costly turnovers. And if we're going to count it against him that New England's defense is dog shit, let's not forget how beastly Houston's defense is.

Matt Ryan is like your prototypical game manager. Flacco on the other hand has the pieces to be an elite QB and put up elite type numbers. I don't think he's there yet, but I will still take him over Matt Ryan.

EDIT: Re-Reading that, it makes me sound very Pro-Flacco, which isn't true. He has elite pieces around him and in which should make him elite and produce those elite numbers but he has not yet gotten there.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I'd have to go with Joe at this point.

Ryan has way more to work with than Flacco but I find that Flacco makes more plays than Matt; Flacco does more when it counts with less. Both have still major improving to do. Ryan, as well as the whole of the Flacons, need to learn how to not vanish in the post-season. Flacco needs to stop being his own worst enemy and the Ravens' offense needs to help the guy out (see AFCCG this year as well as the prior playoff appearance)

Guest Phailadelphia

It's hard to say. I feel like Flacco and Ryan are in much better systems to succeed where Freeman and Bradford aren't playing with a whole lot of talent around them.

Of the four, I'd probably take Ryan though.

Flacco is middle of the road, but I'd still take him over Ryan. Flacco is playing with worse receivers that can hardly be consistent running most routes, and unlike Ryan he hasn't been completely ass fucked in the playoffs the last 2 off-seasons. He may be hot and cold in the regular season, but at least he doesn't completely choke. The guy was one great pass away from the Super Bowl if Lee Evans would have put his grip on the ball.

This isn't even a debate. While Flacco does not have a great playoff history, he has not choked away three games in which his team could have easily won. He at least has some playoff wins with mediocre receiving weapons. Now, his receiving corps (including TEs) is actually quite underrated, but he has nobody on the caliber of White/Jones/Gonzo. Not even close.

Matt Ryan sucks. Deal with it, Atlanta.

Before this year, Flacco was ABSOLUTE SHIT in the playoffs (and that's not to say he was amazing this year, either). Ryan is a better passer and better at the game manager role, in my opinion. They both suck, though.

• Upvote 2

Before this year, Flacco was ABSOLUTE SHIT in the playoffs (and that's not to say he was amazing this year, either). Ryan is a better passer and better at the game manager role, in my opinion. They both suck, though.

THIS lol

• Upvote 1

I wanted Flacco leading up to the draft. I was pissed when they took Matt Ryan. Now though, I'm happy with Ryan. Anyone who has actually watched him play week in and week out would know that the arm strength argument has no credibility. Ryan is a victim of poor play calling. The fact that Joe Flacco has had a Superbowl team the entire time he has played helps too. I don't really feel that way about the Falcons. I feel like the Falcons have been a team at par with the field, even in their 13-3 season. All their stats are so similar too. Then again I see the argument that some guys make saying that the Ravens receiving core has been garbage too. Boldin hasn't exactly lived up to hype. And I honestly don't see a legitimate #2 WR (Although Torrey Smith is coming along nicely). I just think this is too tough of a debate to really make a whole heart decision on. They're both great young quarterbacks who are still learning.

Quite honestly if you look at their playoff stats next to eachother, they are pretty similar. Matt Ryan however only has 3 games, Joe Flacco has 9 I think. But regardless, if you were to take Ryans stats and continue his passing trends up to 9 games, they'd probably lay over eachother pretty well.

Matt Ryan doesn't "choke" in the playoffs. If you watch, he actually is probably the only player on the team that has kept them in contention. He made a huge mistake on yet ANOTHER bad playcall against Green Bay in 2010, and 2011 (This year) he had absolutely no defense, and no offensive line. The entire team just quit.

I won't make a call on who I like better. But if I had to chose, I would stick with Matt Ryan.

And I'm sorry but saying hes shit is nuts. The guy has gotten knocked around the past two seasons like a rag doll. He has no offensive line what so ever. He's got one guy on the line that would start anywhere else (Clabo) and a bunch of backup scrubs. Most of his costly mistakes come from the protection. We've got a pocket quarterback with virtually no pocket. His Green Bay interception in the 2010 playoffs is the ONLY interception I can say he did on his own. That was just fucking stupid. But everything else? Some people really need to watch the games. Again, I'm not saying who's better because who knows. But to say Matt Ryan is shit, meh. I guess that's your opinion.

Edited by Chris D

I wanted Flacco leading up to the draft. I was pissed when they took Matt Ryan. Now though, I'm happy with Ryan. Anyone who has actually watched him play week in and week out would know that the arm strength argument has no credibility. Ryan is a victim of poor play calling. The fact that Joe Flacco has had a Superbowl team the entire time he has played helps too.

You cant use play calling to make an argument because as shitty as it is to say The shittiest OC in the league wears ravens gear on sundays.

• Downvote 1

You cant use play calling to make an argument because as shitty as it is to say The shittiest OC in the league wears ravens gear on sundays.

Didn't Cameron resign or get fired?

By the way, Ngata, the shittiest OC in the league is wearing Colts blue now. Even Cam Cameron is better than that piece of trash.

• Upvote 1

In terms of the "arm strength" argument, he is a victim of past playcalling. They always let Flacco loose down field. Matt Ryan though? Continuous roll outs and dump offs. Honestly before Julio Jones, there was never anyone downfield. He has yet to be allowed to throw downfield. Although, that last game against the Saints last season was text book in terms of what Matt Ryan can do.

That's all I was touching on with that comment, the argument that Matt Ryan has no arm strength. He DOES need to improve some of his decision making. He's a master already at the LOS and in the no huddle he proves that he can dominate defenses. And honestly, I don't think anyone can question these guys throwing the football. Merely their ability to make decisions as the play unfolds. Both of them are in the same boat in that sense.

Didn't Cameron resign or get fired?

No he is too bust blowing the inferior Harbaugh. I will say this though I would almost rather have the colts OC as shitty as he may be.

It seems like the OC is always holing there QB back according to a lot of fans...

Look I am not saying Flacco would be or ever will be another Aaron Rodgers or something. However Cam Cameron has always been known for his run on 1st run 2nd throw on third that his been his MO for almost 20 years. you can find it on charger message boards from 05 and to this day on the Ravens. He is the most predictable, vanilla piece of garbage I have seen coach a football team.

I would really like the steelers former OC Arians, he knew how to put 3 receivers on the field at a time which is something Cameron to be honest. And While we are on the topic I will take Roddy White over Q. They both drop the ball a lot but hey what can you do. I am not sure who I would rather have yet Julio or Smith.

I am not saying firing Cameron would be the end of our offensive woes but at least it would be fresh versus this same shit offense we have had for his entire tenure now.

Look I am not saying Flacco would be or ever will be another Aaron Rodgers or something. However Cam Cameron has always been known for his run on 1st run 2nd throw on third that his been his MO for almost 20 years. you can find it on charger message boards from 05 and to this day on the Ravens. He is the most predictable, vanilla piece of garbage I have seen coach a football team.

I would really like the steelers former OC Arians, he knew how to put 3 receivers on the field at a time which is something Cameron to be honest. And While we are on the topic I will take Roddy White over Q. They both drop the ball a lot but hey what can you do. I am not sure who I would rather have yet Julio or Smith.

I am not saying firing Cameron would be the end of our offensive woes but at least it would be fresh versus this same shit offense we have had for his entire tenure now.

I'm not sayin the Ravens fans are necessarily guilty of this because I do believe there OC had terrible game plan management. It's just that it's bought up so much like it's the be all end all.

Arians was a shit OC. Year after year the steelers were in the bottom half of the league in points per game.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Arians was a shit OC. Year after year the steelers were in the bottom half of the league in points per game.

To be fair though his play calling was limited because his oline was always garbage. and two until two years ago the only consistent receiver tehy had was Hines. I mean Santonio was decent, but limas sweed and others were just not ready for a three wide set.

And even if he is dog shit I would take any OC in this over Cam Cameron. Hell if I was Steve Bisciotti or John Harbaugh and you needed a job I would hire you as OC before I let Cam Cameron hold a water bottle.

Flacco is better. He's won in the playoff and at times because of him. The same can't be said about Ryan

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Flacco was a catch away from a Superbowl.

Ryan hasn't won a playoff game.

Flacco wins by default. Best of a bad situation.