Sign in to follow this  
Duck Fallas

RG3 Trademarking himself

RG3 is trademarking himself

May 9, 2012, 10:25 am

Robert Griffin III is trademarking himself.

The Redskins’ new quarterback is taking preemptive legal steps to ensure that others don’t profit off of his name and his fame, Griffin has formed a company called Thr3escompany, LLC and has has submitted for trademarks to RGIII, RG3, Robert Griffin III, and Unbelievably Believable.

It’s not as though RG3 wants to collect money every time someone uses his name or nickname in print or on the air. The trademark application specified that he wanted to protect the use of them on “shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, pants, shorts, footwear, hats, caps, athletic uniforms.”

So, if you have had any “RG3” T-shirt printed up, you might want to figure out an alternate use for them.

The “Unbelievably believable” phrase comes from his Heisman Trohpy acceptance speech. Here is the full quote:

“This is unbelievably believable. It’s unbelievable because in the moment we’re all amazed when great things happen. But it’s believable because great things don’t happen without hard work.”

I think this may be taking things a tad bit too far, but more power to him.

Edited by Duck Fallas

Already has an ego as big as $cam Newton. Not surprised.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

Hey, it's a brave new world out there. I don't blame the guy for wanting to get a piece of the money people are making off of his name. The Bengals profited for years off of the Icky shuffle, and look at Icky Woods now. "Bo Knows" could have had Bo set for life if he'd have had a piece of all of that.

• Upvote 1

The only person that should make money of your name is you and your estate. No problems with RGIII doing this. He's already in commercials and shit. He's been all over TV. I'd rather see the money go to the players instead of the rich fat cat owners. They're the ones who earn it.

• Upvote 1

I don't see anything wrong with it. If he has a good rookie season and/or career, people would be able to profit off of his hard work. Why shouldn't he trademark it to make sure he gets the profits instead of some person who did nothing?

• Upvote 1

Here are some things that had the name RG3 before he was popular.

Clicky

I think it's retarded to copyright words. I dont give a shit about the reason.

Here are some things that had the name RG3 before he was popular.

Clicky

I think it's retarded to copyright words. I dont give a shit about the reason.

A "Robotic Greens Mower 3" for golf courses, the name of an obscure motocross suspension supplier in Indiana that offers no reasoning as to why it is called "RG3", and...that's virtually it.

A "Robotic Greens Mower 3" for golf courses, the name of an obscure motocross suspension supplier in Indiana that offers no reasoning as to why it is called "RG3", and...that's virtually it.

There are a few more. I'm just pointing out the existence of products prior to his celebrity. Not sure how easy it will be for him to copyright it. Remember when Donald Trump tried to trademark "You're Fired". Why the public backlash for that? Same concept, both are stupid. He wants to copyright his own name? Fine, whatever. Don't trademark a stupid slogan.

There are a few more. I'm just pointing out the existence of products prior to his celebrity. Not sure how easy it will be for him to copyright it. Remember when Donald Trump tried to trademark "You're Fired". Why the public backlash for that? Same concept, both are stupid. He wants to copyright his own name? Fine, whatever. Don't trademark a stupid slogan.

Like I said originally, I think "unbelievably believable" is lame and trademarking it was even more stupid, but trademarking one's initials rather than allowing people to do what they will with them makes a ton of sense to me. Not only does it prevent people from making crappy looking shirts or whatnot that you didn't approve, but it prevents people from making money off of him in any way. Also, it keeps people from making "RG3 sucks cock" memorabilia, though that type of thing is much less common.

I think it might be safe to say that RG3® won't be one of the 78% of NFL players that go broke after they retire

• Upvote 1

I don't think this has anything to do with ego. If it were me, I'd want control over the use of my name or acronyms of my name. The "unbelievably believable" thing is dumb, though.

I thought the exact same thing, and it sounds like the trademark application is specifically tailored to clothing so it's not like he's going to go after ESPN every time they use the moniker on air

• Upvote 2

It's certainly a good decision by him to trademark himself,his name,acronyms and so...

But that "unbelieveably believeable" thing shouldn't be commented..

Nothing wrong with this. People were making bank off these "words"

He wants to do this, let him, although the slogan needs to go. It just doesn't sound right to my ears at all.

I don't agree with the slogan. But the RG3, RGIII stuff I have no problem with. Smart business move.