Sign in to follow this  
Staley

The Detroit Lions: The New Philadelphia Eagles

Lions  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Does 1 winning season negate the worst decade of play in football history?

• Yes
    • No

Seriously, anyone who was following the NFC wildcard chase last season knows the Bears manhandled the Lions at Soldier Field and were in cruise control sitting in the top wildcard spot when Cutler went down, yet every national publication and bookie has the lions in the no.2 spot in the NFC North with an average of 2 more wins than the Bears. They also gave Detroit a better draft grade despite no attempts to solidify what was one of the worst secondaries in football, and ditto on the run game.

top that off with Stafford being listed at no.41 on the NFL top 100 players list after only his first full season, in which megatron padded the hell out of his stats....

so, yeah, I'm a bit annoyed that the Bears are being crapped on once again, especially when its the lowly Lions, whom not 4 seasons earlier was the only 0-16 team in NFL history...........

thoughts??

Edited by Staley

The Lions were really overrated at the beginning of last year when they started off 5-0 and people considered them a top 5 team in the NFL, but I think people started to realize they were overrating them towards the end of the season.

The Lions are a solid team, but they still need to fix the back 7 of their defense and their o-line. Plus, if Megatron were to ever go down due to injury, they probably wouldn't even be a .500 team.

FTR, I have the Bears finishing ahead of the Lions this year. You can check out my post in the Who Will in the NFC North thread. :yep:

Edited by GoodellFTL

I'm not sure what your point about them being the new Eagles is. As in overrated? There are plenty of teams more overrated than the Eagles. Maybe last offseason they were overrated, but that comes with big FA signings.

I don't think the Lions are very overrated personally. They were a young rising team who saw their first success last year. Nobody confused them for the 90s Cowboys. We all know what they are where they are going.

I'm not sure what your point about them being the new Eagles is. As in overrated? There are plenty of teams more overrated than the Eagles. Maybe last offseason they were overrated, but that comes with big FA signings.

I don't think the Lions are very overrated personally. They were a young rising team who saw their first success last year. Nobody confused them for the 90s Cowboys. We all know what they are where they are going.

I agree with the first part. Not really sure where the whole Eagles thing is coming from.

But, with your 2nd part I disagree. I clearly remember a lot of people considering the Lions a top 5 team in the NFL after their 5-0 or 6-0 or whatever it was start. I said they were overrated at the time and people disagreed. Same with the Bills.

Edited by GoodellFTL

Maybe its just my subjective personal recollection, but i've noticed the eagles get hyped up every season for a while now. michael vick is always overrated, and desean jackson is IMO one of the most overrated players in the NFL.... and going back to when kolb was the "future" they were talking him up a lot too.

lol

Maybe its just my subjective personal recollection, but i've noticed the eagles get hyped up every season for a while now. michael vick is always overrated, and desean jackson is IMO one of the most overrated players in the NFL.... and going back to when kolb was the "future" they were talking him up a lot too.

lol

They do get hyped, but the thing is, the Eagles are usually a good team. They just always choke in the playoffs so it never results in anything lol. I am a huge Eagle hater, but I think other than last year they haven't been too over-hyped and like Milla said, that's gonna happen when they sign as many big names as they did.

They do get hyped, but the thing is, the Eagles are usually a good team. They just always choke in the playoffs so it never results in anything lol. I am a huge Eagle hater, but I think other than last year they haven't been too over-hyped and like Milla said, that's gonna happen when they sign as many big names as they did.

lol oh also how every eagles-bears matchup over the last 3 to 4 season all of the analysts say the eagles are going to win and talk about how the bears D cant contain vick, and of course the bears have won most (or all? i dont remember) of those games, while also making vick look a fool

Edited by Staley

lol at a Bears fan claiming the Lions are being overrated by the media.

If anything, considering the amount of hype the Bears have gained this offseason, they have been just as overhyped.

And you bring up the past like it applies to now, since we went 0-16 we have done nothing but improve every year. Have you seen the age of the Big players on the Bears defense? Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, Tillman, are all above 30.

We finished the season 10-6... Regardless of whether or not the Bears had Cutler, is irrelevant to that. Even if we didn't make the playoffs, we won 10 games and lost 6.

And no, the Bears weren't the only ones with injuries down the stretch, we were signing players week in and week out to play DB for us and HB.

• Upvote 1

lol at a Bears fan claiming the Lions are being overrated by the media.

If anything, considering the amount of hype the Bears have gained this offseason, they have been just as overhyped.

And you bring up the past like it applies to now, since we went 0-16 we have done nothing but improve every year. Have you seen the age of the Big players on the Bears defense? Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, Tillman, are all above 30.

We finished the season 10-6... Regardless of whether or not the Bears had Cutler, is irrelevant to that. Even if we didn't make the playoffs, we won 10 games and lost 6.

And no, the Bears weren't the only ones with injuries down the stretch, we were signing players week in and week out to play DB for us and HB.

the bears were 7-3 when cutler went down with the chiefs, broncos, raiders, vikings and seahawks were ahead of them. it was rightfully assumed that they wouldnt beat green gay at home, but with cutler we would have AT LEAST gone 3-3, and beaten the lions out of a playoff spot. but no, hanie sucked pretty hard, and then we lost forte against the chiefs, and we could barely muster a win in minnie.

the 10 games cutler was playing we had an offense that was averaging 28 points a game, and that was with the complete lack of talent at the WR position and martz as the OC stubbornly ignoring how to utilize the talent hes got

bears have gotten some attention, but thats going to happen when you make moves.

just because the lions have only been in the news for drug arrests and DUIs doesnt mean you need to be so butthurt bro

Edited by Staley
  • Downvote 3

the bears were 7-3 when cutler went down with the chiefs, broncos, raiders, vikings and seahawks were ahead of them. it was rightfully assumed that they wouldnt beat green gay at home, but with cutler we would have AT LEAST gone 3-3, and beaten the lions out of a playoff spot. but no, hanie sucked pretty hard, and then we lost forte against the chiefs, and we could barely muster a win in minnie.

the 10 games cutler was playing we had an offense that was averaging 28 points a game, and that was with the complete lack of talent at the WR position and martz as the OC stubbornly ignoring how to utilize the talent hes got

bears have gotten some attention, but thats going to happen when you make moves.

just because the lions have only been in the news for drug arrests and DUIs doesnt mean you need to be so butthurt bro

Im failing to see how anything I said makes me "butthurt"?

We were the ones that made the playoffs, we were the ones that finished with double digit wins, we were the ones with the 5000 yard passer, we were the one with the best WR in the NFL. Not the Bears.

So why would I be butthurt? Because guys who played limited roles last year have been in the news for DUIs and drug arrests? Things athletes get arrested for all the time?

You are talking "Ifs" ad "Maybes" im talking about what actually happened. Whether you did or didn't make the playoffs should Jay Cutler had been healthy, we still would of won 10 games, and we still would of had the better QB regardless of if we made the playoffs or not.

And then you bring up us going 0-16 as if it's relevant even though it's something that happened a while ago and most of those guys aren't even on the team. Or coaching staff.

• Upvote 2

Seriously ??? How is this something that should have been brought up.

Lets tallk about QB's, when your QB phones in a NFCCG you really should not sling stones on other QB's.

When all of your WR's cannot combine to equal Megatron.

Your O line is pathetic and your not paying your best offensive players.

I would think if I am the bears I would worry about a team that averages 30 + points a game.

And how did they not improve their defense. They got 3 OLB's who can all get to the passer.

A CB who had he played at a D1 school would have gone first round in Chris Greenwood from Albion who is 6'2" runs a sub 4.4 and did not allow a touchdown in over 30 games and was able to take over 60 percent of his picks to the house.

Swight Bentley who is also a tout4ed prospect a CB.

Ryan Broyles who can replace the guy you are making fun of (Titus Young). And an OT who can step in day one and is better than any lineman the bears have.

What makes you think that in two years you will be worried about 2nd when Minny pulls ahead after the draft they just had that you arent fighting to stay out of the basement ?

Edited by Ngata_Chance
  • Upvote 1

Seriously, anyone who was following the NFC wildcard chase last season knows the Bears manhandled the Lions at Soldier Field and were in cruise control sitting in the top wildcard spot when Cutler went down, yet every national publication and bookie has the lions in the no.2 spot in the NFC North with an average of 2 more wins than the Bears. They also gave Detroit a better draft grade despite no attempts to solidify what was one of the worst secondaries in football, and ditto on the run game.

top that off with Stafford being listed at no.41 on the NFL top 100 players list after only his first full season, in which megatron padded the hell out of his stats....

so, yeah, I'm a bit annoyed that the Bears are being crapped on once again, especially when its the lowly Lions, whom not 4 seasons earlier was the only 0-16 team in NFL history...........

thoughts??

You're kind of covering 2 different topics in this thread, I'll answer both.

1. Your first point is that you are annoyed that the Lions (at least in your opinion) are getting a higher rating than the Bears and it isn't fair/right.

I can disagree with you there, I don't think either team should be getting much of a higher rating than the other. I think the Lions are just about as good as the Bears. The Lions have a better offense than the Bears, who have a better defense than the Lions. I think it'll be a tight race between these two in 2012.

And honestly from what I have been hearing, reading, seeing, etc. most people consider the Bears to be the better team, and to finish higher than the Lions after this year. Might be because I'm from Chicago but also hearing it on various football websites, such as TGP.

2. Secondly, about your poll, I agree that one playoff season does not negate the terrible last decade they had. However it's a moot point because in football, as in life, you only move forward. Dwelling on the past gets you nowhere. The Lions are turning it around, and that's all that matters now.

Nobody who knows anything about football thinks the Lions would have gotten the playoffs last year if Cutler hadn't gotten hurt. Don't worry about it. We all knew the Bears were on a roll. Hell, I expected them to beat Green Bay in the second matchup.

Either way, it's pre-season hype. Who gives a fuck? Why let it bother you?

I agree with the first part. Not really sure where the whole Eagles thing is coming from.

But, with your 2nd part I disagree. I clearly remember a lot of people considering the Lions a top 5 team in the NFL after their 5-0 or 6-0 or whatever it was start. I said they were overrated at the time and people disagreed. Same with the Bills.

I will honestly state for the record that I was one of those people's :yep:

Nobody who knows anything about football thinks the Lions would have gotten the playoffs last year if Cutler hadn't gotten hurt. Don't worry about it. We all knew the Bears were on a roll. Hell, I expected them to beat Green Bay in the second matchup.

Says who?

Can you look into your magic crystal ball and tell me what would of happened to the Colts if Manning had played the whole season last year, and if KC didn't lose so many roll players last year?

Because Jay Cutler and Forte would of made it through the entire season with that revolving door of an Oline and keep producing anyways. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

561828_385696034784382_385689931451659_1273648_1378452544_n.jpg

I don't see your point on Stafford. Those list are made for the Top Players of 2011/2012 season, Stafford belongs on that list if thats the case. He had a helluva season, obviously Megatron helped him. But what QB wouldn't throw it to him? You have a freak WR who is taller than any DB and faster than most.

Why is that ? I mean teams get hot and cold and it is not uncommon for both to happen in the same season. If the Lions start going ape shit and cutler has another one of his signature dont give a shit games and his oline dont show up (which is a very real possibility) then he has people in his face all day.

Says who?

Can you look into your magic crystal ball and tell me what would of happened to the Colts if Manning had played the whole season last year, and if KC didn't lose so many roll players last year?

Because Jay Cutler and Forte would of made it through the entire season with that revolving door of an Oline and keep producing anyways. :rolleyes:

Who was going to stop them? Their remaining schedule outside of Green Bay was practically a cake walk for a team with a good offense. They were on a PPG role and their defense had just held your "amazing" offense to something like 13 points (not to mention they held San Diego fairly well the next week). They beat your asses and exposed Detroit as a team on the rise, but not ready for the playoffs. What happened in New Orleans wasn't just a bad game. The Saints were really that much better than your Lions. The Bears had finally meshed and that was destroyed by Cutler's injury. They were still in most games with Hanie and McCown playing something that resembled third string quarterback because of that defense.

They would have taken the North's second playoff spot. There is no denying that.

Kind of a pointless thread (and especially a pointless poll). I don't disagree that the media loves the Lions and hyped them up. It's definitely a Cinderella story. The media has always hated the Bears and the rest of Chcago sports. However, many non-media football fans believe that the Bears are much better than the Lions.

Anyway, this belongs in the Smack Talk forum. If someone could move it, I think that would be appropriate.

I think its funny how there is always a long list of negatives about my bears yet we still bring it every season and are usually controlling the game against ALL NFC North opponents. I like the Lions, but if Cutler stayed healthy honestly we had a playoff spot and who knows if the Lions get in or not. As for the main question...the past is the past no matter if you are 0-16 or 16-0 you have to move on and start again. SO the new look Lions I say don't need to look in the rear view mirror whatsoever that regime is done and the new attitude and expectation is to win.

Edited by butta55

What does it matter? the past is in the past. there was 87% chance we would of made play offs at 7-3 and we also handled Detroit and took care of business against San Deigo... it would have been pretty damm likely we would of made the play offs. but Cutler and Forte went down. The way I see it let people "overrate" the lions their fans deserve it after countless of years or borderline mediocrity and I kind of enjoyed having the Lions win some games and be competitive in the Black N Blue division and having the dog shit vikings in the cellar.

What does it matter? the past is in the past. there was 87% chance we would of made play offs at 7-3 and we also handled Detroit and took care of business against San Deigo... it would have been pretty damm likely we would of made the play offs. but Cutler and Forte went down. The way I see it let people "overrate" the lions their fans deserve it after countless of years of borderline mediocrity and I kind of enjoyed having the Lions win some games and be competitive in the Black N Blue division and having the dog shit vikings in the cellar.

I agree. The Lions had done nothing since 1999 and had around only 40+ wins in the last 11 years before the 2011 season. Let them enjoy the limelight for a bit. They earned it.

As much as I love the Bears...to address the main issue I have to say the Bears are getting much much more hype in the media. All I see is the Bears being talked about on NFL network and ESPN. In the power rankings we are #5 all because of ONE new player. Add in the draft we had and the media is going crazy. All I hear is Superbowl talk...I honestly rather have us as under dogs again because usually they say Bears are going to win 4 games and we always go to playoffs!!! :rofl:

Who was going to stop them? Their remaining schedule outside of Green Bay was practically a cake walk for a team with a good offense. They were on a PPG role and their defense had just held your "amazing" offense to something like 13 points (not to mention they held San Diego fairly well the next week). They beat your asses and exposed Detroit as a team on the rise, but not ready for the playoffs. What happened in New Orleans wasn't just a bad game. The Saints were really that much better than your Lions. The Bears had finally meshed and that was destroyed by Cutler's injury. They were still in most games with Hanie and McCown playing something that resembled third string quarterback because of that defense.

They would have taken the North's second playoff spot. There is no denying that.

lmao.

The Bears "exposed" the Lions? The only reason why the Lions lost as badly as they did did was because the success of our offense relies on Stafford being good, because we have NO reliable run game to even slightly fall back on. And he had his worst game of the season, possibly his career, and all we did was keep forcing him to throw the ball a million times when he had a BROKEN INDEX FINGER on his THROWING HAND.

If anything, that game was out of the norm, because the Bear's offense that you say was on a role was held in check that game and it was our offense that didn't deliver.

That game didn't expose us because everybody and their mama knew the way we were winning games last year. And that was through throwing the ball - a lot - and scoring at a high volume. And that our defense could hold it's own as long as we weren't facing a high powered offense.

All the game against the Saints 'exposed' was that we are a team ready to compete for a playoff spot, but we aren't a team ready to compete for a Super Bowl. And the same concerns we had all season, which was if Stafford isn't finding his groove, we have to keep throwing it and hope he eventually finds cause running the ball, isn't an option, and our undermanned defense couldn't hold a historic offense for two halves of football.