Sign in to follow this  
Bucman

Is the NBA Lottery Rigged?

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is the NBA Lottery Rigged

• Yes
    • No

Not since 2004 has the team with the worst record picked #1. The Bulls in 2008 had a 1.7 chance at winning the lottery, jumped from 8th to 1st. Coincidentally Derrick Rose is from Chicago. For now the NBA owns the Hornets, which somehow ended up with the 1st pick, granted it going to likely be bought by Benson. But this gives him more incentive to buy the team. Then you have the John Wall year, the team has just got a new owner. Wizards had the 5th best chance at winning the lottery and you guessed it they won it.

Given all the things we have learned about the NBA, this just seems like another rigged part of it.

Probability, how does it work?

My answer to this: Abso-fucking-lutely. (pardon my french)

It just so happens that the new owner of the team goes into negotiations for the purchase in a shortened season just after losing his All-Star PG, Chris Paul. I would not be surprised by any means if that somewhere in the private conversation between David Stern, the rest of the NBA committee and Tom Benson, Benson said "Anthony Davis sure looks good. Would like to have him on my squad." And well, the rest of the pieces just fell into place. Am I a conspirator? Not really. But this is not unlikely with David Stern.

Theres about a 10% chance of the top pick not going to the worst record 8 years in a row. Unlikely but not absurd. Why don't people start claiming the NFL rigged its coin tosses in the super bowl since there was a .0006% chance of the NFC winning the coin toss so many times in a row?

You can read this for a more thorough explanation as to why it isn't rigged.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19216160/was-the-nba-draft-lottery-rigged-well-no-but-people-are-thinking-it-anyway

Theres about a 10% chance of the top pick not going to the worst record 8 years in a row. Unlikely but not absurd. Why don't people start claiming the NFL rigged its coin tosses in the super bowl since there was a .0006% chance of the NFC winning the coin toss so many times in a row?

You can read this for a more thorough explanation as to why it isn't rigged.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19216160/was-the-nba-draft-lottery-rigged-well-no-but-people-are-thinking-it-anyway

Because we can see the coin toss right in front of us. If the NBA wants to stop the rigged top, show it live on TV. Why must it be done behind closed doors? Do they have something to hide or something.

I hate NBA Lottery..I'm not saying it's rigged but I think it's fair for the worst team to have the first pick of the draft..NBA should make a system similar to the NFL one..You're the worst in regular season,you get the first pick,you're the best,you get the last pick..Simple as that..

Because we can see the coin toss right in front of us. If the NBA wants to stop the rigged top, show it live on TV. Why must it be done behind closed doors? Do they have something to hide or something.

They want to build suspense for tv. People will watch the whole lottery if you're building up to the top picks. Only 3 lottery balls are drawn and thats it if you show it live.

Guest Phailadelphia

They should just ditch the lottery all together and let rookies pick who they want to sign with.

• Downvote 1

They should just ditch the lottery all together and let rookies pick who they want to sign with.

Oh God no.

Guest Phailadelphia

Oh God no.

Why?

If they did that, they might as well contract half the teams.

No, it isn't. People can come up with stories and theories for nearly any team who wins the lottery. It isn't like the Hornets winning is a crazy thing, they had like the 4th best chance at winning. The NBA shouldn't want star players in Cleveland and New Orleans if conspiracy theories are true. If it was rigged, the Nets probably would've been given a top 3 pick.

Also, the lottery isn't shown live TV because it is complicated and takes like an hour to do. It isn't as simple as just drawing lottery balls. They do multiple draws and have a complicated system. Plus, it adds no drama, which is what TV networks want.

Guest Phailadelphia

Not at all. Think about it. Players can't all just go to their favorite teams. GMs know who they want, who fits their team, and who they can afford to pay. The salary cap and new luxury tax are extremely restrictive in how teams will be built from now on.

Of course it's rigged. It's not on TV because they were already exposed once, and can't risk it again.

Of course it's rigged. It's not on TV because they were already exposed once, and can't risk it again.

It doesn't have to mean anything..And like Dmac said,it'd probably go to the Nets if it was rigged..

It doesn't have to mean anything..And like Dmac said,it'd probably go to the Nets if it was rigged..

Why would the league give the pick to Brooklyn when they can give it to themselves and make it just that much easier to sell the team?

Not at all. Think about it. Players can't all just go to their favorite teams. GMs know who they want, who fits their team, and who they can afford to pay. The salary cap and new luxury tax are extremely restrictive in how teams will be built from now on.

The top players will though. Or are you saying make the rookies true unrestricted free agents with no restrictions on salary?

Why would the league give the pick to Brooklyn when they can give it to themselves and make it just that much easier to sell the team?

Because the NBA no longer owns the Hornets?

I hate NBA Lottery..I'm not saying it's rigged but I think it's fair for the worst team to have the first pick of the draft..NBA should make a system similar to the NFL one..You're the worst in regular season,you get the first pick,you're the best,you get the last pick..Simple as that..

Agreed. The lottery is a dumb idea, IMO.

Because the NBA no longer owns the Hornets?

Actually they still do own them Dmac, Tom Benson hasn't officially bought the team yet.

Edited by BradyFan81

The Hornets were agreed to be sold before the lottery, to Tom Benson. He plans on keeping the team in NOLA and changing the name. The Bobcats will probably take the Hornets name and bring the name back to Charlotte.

Edited by Milla4Prez63

This is the NBA. They should do that anyway.

Also, lotteries ftl. If you insist on keeping it reduce the number of eligible teams.

Yeah Benson had the plans to buy it well before the lottery. Its always easy and interesting to throw in all these crazy conspiracy ideas every year with the lottery, but overall I have to say it's not rigged. It is a complicated process and odds are there for a reason we can't just assume #1 chances of winning should always equal the #1 pick. I like the lottery honestly and at the same time I don't like the worst team having to lose out on the top pick, but I have to admit its something interesting about changing the faiths of teams through the draft then you have a million what if questions to look back on