Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Harvard Study: Flouride Lowers IQ

Further, the EPA says fluoride is a chemical "with substantial evidence of developmental neurotoxicity."

Fluoride (fluosilicic acid) is added to US water supplies at approximately 1 part per million attempting to reduce tooth decay.

Water was the only fluoride source in the studies reviewed and was based on high water fluoride levels. However, they point out research by Ding (2011) suggested that low water fluoride levels had significant negative associations with children's intelligence.

After reviewing fluoride toxicological data, the NRC reported in 2006, "It's apparent that fluorides have the ability to interfere with the functions of the brain."

Choi's team writes, "Fluoride readily crosses the placenta. Fluoride exposure to the developing brain, which is much more susceptible to injury caused by toxicants than is the mature brain, may possibly lead to damage of a permanent nature."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/24/idUS127920+24-Jul-2012+PRN20120724

That no true you dum dum.

• Upvote 1

More reason not to drink the filth that comes out of the tap. People bitch about those of us that buy all our water, but fail to see the big picture.

Blots is right on.

This is complete and utter bullshit:

the headline claims:

Harvard Study Finds Fluoride Lowers IQ

Simple, unambiguous and damning. But then in the story itself, the first thing we see is a quote from the study that is way, way, way less definite than the headline:

"Our results support the possibility of adverse effects of fluoride exposures on children's neurodevelopment."

So now it's the "possibility."

Then they say:

"The children in high fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ than those who lived in low fluoride areas," write Choi et al.

Whoa! OK, now, which areas? Like, is Milwaukee worse than Dallas? Well, let's follow the link in the press release to the study and then the additional details of the study. In some tiny print you'll find they're talking about China and India, and they are not motherfucking talking about fluoride in toothpaste or stuff being added to drinking water. In those countries, their water supply is contaminated with mega-doses of fluoride that seeps into wells from the soil. They're getting toxic levels up to 20 times higher than what you get in your drinking water.

The fact that fluoride -- and lots of other things you consume every day -- is dangerous in toxic mega-doses is not news. Well, shit, who would submit such a misleading press release, knowing that its alarmist headline would get spread from blog to blog, and from one news portal site to another? It actually says in the press release ...

reports the NYS Coalition opposed to Fluoridation, Inc.(NYSCOF)

Ah. The Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation. This whole thing is part of the bullshit anti-fluoride conspiracy theory that goes all the way back to nutjobs who thought water fluoridation was a communist mind-control plot.

And it works, because again, they know you'll just read the headline and then quote it as an interesting fact around the water cooler tomorrow. Bullshit achieved!

Guest Phailadelphia

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!

Bullshit or no, fluoride in the water supply is still something that should be talked about. It's not even something that's approved by the FDA for ingestion, it's a case of a bunch of retards in the 40's thinking it's a good idea with no scientific basis. The FDA also considers it a toxic drug so technically it's illegal under federal law as a felony to put it into the water supply. It's banned in other countries because it can cause health problems over time, and the amount that's "acceptable" to be put into our water supply is more than enough to cause harm.

• Upvote 1

Bullshit or no, fluoride in the water supply is still something that should be talked about. It's not even something that's approved by the FDA for ingestion, it's a case of a bunch of retards in the 40's thinking it's a good idea with no scientific basis. The FDA also considers it a toxic drug so technically it's illegal under federal law as a felony to put it into the water supply. It's banned in other countries because it can cause health problems over time, and the amount that's "acceptable" to be put into our water supply is more than enough to cause harm.

I've never seen or heard of an un-biased, accurate study that shows this to be the case.

This is more sensationalist headlines.

Just the other day I was wondering if it was fluoride in the water making kids dumber, or was it the over reliance on technology and a piss-poor public education system in this country. Thank you, Harvard for answering my problem.

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

Just the other day I was wondering if it was fluoride in the water making kids dumber, or was it the over reliance on technology and a piss-poor public education system in this country. Thank you, Harvard for answering my problem.

lol did you even read the thread?

The FDA considers any substance stronger than 150% of RDA (recommended daily allowance) a drug.

So "too much" protein is a drug? lol

It helps to have access to the original study in cases like these... luckily I do

First of all, the data in this study is based on information obtained in China, not the United States

most of the epidemiological information available on associations with children’s neurodevelopment is from China, where fluoride generally occurs in drinking water as a natural contaminant

Additionally, from an experiment conducted on rats, the doses that showed flouride neurotoxicity were 20ml/L, 40ml/L, and 80ml/L. Doses that far exceed the maximum dose of 4ml/L in drinking water assigned by the EPA.

A recent experimental study where the rat hippocampal neurons were incubated with various concentrations (20 mg/L, 40 mg/L, and 80 mg/L) of sodium fluoride in vitro showed that fluoride neurotoxicity may target hippocampal neurons (Zhang et al. 2008).

In the U.S., fluoride concentrations are not even close to what the EPA considers the maximum dose.

fluoride concentrations in community water are usually no higher than 1 mg/L, even when fluoride is added to water supplies as a public health measure to reduce tooth decay.

It's not uncommon for the media to grab ahold of a study like this and try to apply it to a totally separate population, it's quite common with dietary supplements and I encounter it all the time. While the study itself is not to blame, its quite interesting, but just as the study suggests, more research needs to be done on the neurotoxicity effect of fluoride on children before anyone should be completely alarmed

• Upvote 1

So "too much" protein is a drug? lol

According to the way the FDA classifies dietary substances, yes

People who buy bottled water make me laugh.

If you want purified water, buy one of those filters you attach to the sink, or one of those pitchers with a filter on top. But buying bottled water for that?

LOLOLOLOLOL

one of those pitchers with a filter on top.

That's exactly what I have and I love it. :yep:

While this is an interesting topic, this post shines the light where it belongs: The real problems with children in this country: 1. Too damn many reasons for them to not go outside and because of that many of them become lethargic and fat

2. A majority of their teachers either A. Suck or B. Don't Care.

I know some of you don't like when I hate on gaming, but I really think our younger generations would be better off without it.

Edited by BwareDWare94

While this is an interesting topic, this post shines the light where it belongs: The real problems with children in this country: 1. Too damn many reasons for them to not go outside and because of that many of them become lethargic and fat

2. A majority of their teachers either A. Suck or B. Don't Care.

I know some of you don't like when I hate on gaming, but I really think our younger generations would be better off without it.

They'd also be "better off" without TV, and those who read books a lot would be better off without books, but since there is no way in hell that's happening, we look for alternatives.

It's called everything in moderation. If a kid plays video games too much, he should get his ass kicked off the system by his parents and forced to go outside. If a kid watches TV too much- same thing. If a kid reads too much- same thing. Don't blame video games for a parent shirking their responsibility.

It helps to have access to the original study in cases like these... luckily I do

Everyone has access to the results of the original study- it's on cracked. That's where my post came from.

Edited by Thanatos19

Everyone has access to the results of the original study- it's on cracked. That's where my post came from.

It's not directly on cracked, they link it about halfway down the article

Personally, I don't think that video games are all that harmful, so long as they are monitored properly by parents. They weren't popular when I was growing up in the late 80's and early 90's, so I never really played them, but as an adult I consider myself a "gamer". I have a simple rule that I follow (and if my kids were ever interested in video games it would be for them too): If the sun is up, the console stays off. Simple as that, there are plenty of more productive things to do outside.