Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Confirmed: Sale of the Browns is official

Per PFT:

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

The folks at ESPN 850 in Cleveland are mongering a "giant" rumor that the Browns are in the process of being sold. Tony Rizzo of ESPN 850 isn't reporting (yet) that there's a deal in place, but he says there is "smoke and fire" and that no one from the Browns has gotten back to him about the situation.

It's not the first time this year the Browns have been linked to talk of a transfer of title.

Last month, after Joe Banner resigned as president of the Eagles and declared an intent to get involved in an ownership group elsewhere, Howard Eskin of NBC 10 in Philly said that Banner could try to buy the Browns, Bills, or Rams.

"The Browns are not for sale," spokesman Neal Gulkis said on June 7. (Of course, that technically would be true, if the Browns already are/were in the process of being sold.)

We've sent Neal an email requesting a fresh statement in the wake of the ESPN 850 report/rumor.

The franchise has been owned by Randy Lerner since the passing of his father, Al. But the younger Lerner never has seemed to embrace the role. Thus, it won't be a surprise if the team is sold, at some point.

Unless it already has been.

While it's not easy to keep transactions like this under wraps until it's official, it's not unprecedented. Last year, the sale of the Jaguars to Shahid Khan came out of nowhere, and it quickly was a done deal.

And so it's possible to keep these matters under wraps. Especially if everyone involved in the process is committed to denying that the team is for sale.

Lerner admits that a buyer wants to make "investment" in Browns

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT

Moments after pressing "publish" on the item regarding the rumor that the Browns have been sold, owner Randy Lerner has issued a statement.

"In connection with current rumors and press inquiries, I can report that I've been approached by Mr. Jimmy Haslam, who is interested in making an investment in the Cleveland Browns. We are currently in negotiations and both sides have agreed to keep that dialogue and its details private. Given that any

transaction would require League approval, care has been taken so that this process will not be disruptive to the organization, in particular the football team, as it prepares for the upcoming season. We will share further details or make an announcement if it becomes necessary."

We're not quite sure what that means. More to come.

@AdamSchefter:

Browns owner Randy Lerner said he currently is in negotiations to sell his team to Mr. Jimmy Haslam. He wants to keep all details private.

Edited by NaTaS

Thank god. Get Randy out of town. All he does is throw bad money after bad front offices. If he chose to sell the team, I hope this new owner will let the new FO stay on for awhile to see what he has before dismantling everything. I cant take another full rebuild.

If he is just a minor investor...oh well.

The articles I've read do not really say if its the son or the father. I know the son has a minority interest in the Steelers.

Hopefully this guy is someone who wants to build a winning team and invest money in them.

If I was looking to buy an NFL team the Browns would be one of the top teams on my list. The Browns haven't had any success in the past like 20 years but the fan base is still there. If that team was even remotely good you'd make a lot of money and if they were contenders...you'd be rolling in it.

Jimmy Haslam III is the guy. He's Prez of the Pilot gas stations/truck stops I believe. Also has a minority stake in the Steelers as said already. I'm okay with it as long as he doesn't move the team(which is very very unlikely). And if he's more willing to shell out the big bucks.

Edited by Barracuda

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns could be sold from Randy Lerner to Tennessee businessman Jimmy Haslam III by Week 1.

The sale could be approved as early as August or early September. Ex-Eagles president Joe Banner is among Haslam's purchasing group, and would likely replace Mike Holmgren. Holmgren's two years with the Browns have been an abject failure, which shouldn't surprise anyone with knowledge of his history as a personnel evaluator and non-coaching football decision maker. Holmgren wasted his first year keeping on Eric Mangini, and his second year misevaluating Colt McCoy as an NFL starter. The Browns' record under Holmgren's watch has been 9-23 (.281). Banner has a relationship with current Browns GM Tom Heckert from their Philly days, so it makes sense that Heckert could keep his job. Jul 28 - 4:31 PM

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

I wish I could buy the Browns..would love to personally turn that organization around :troll:

I heard the Browns could be bought by August, so I guess those reports must've been false.

Did anyone here know that Haslam is a big Steelers fan? I find that slightly comical considering the rivalry between the two franchises.

From Adam Schefter: Sale of the Browns is now official. Jimmy Haslam is the new owner.

Did anyone here know that Haslam is a big Steelers fan? I find that slightly comical considering the rivalry between the two franchises.

He's was fan in the same way Dan Gilbert is a fan of the Cavs or Mark Cubin is a fan of the Mavs...fuckin ownership. It's surprising to me that there are people who don't understand that.

**Edit

For those still intellectually challenged:

Haslam has been a minority investor in the Steelers and in a 2010 profile told the team's Steelers.com Web site that he had been a Dallas Cowboys and then an Indianapolis Colts fan. But with the Pittsburgh investment, Haslam said he had become "1,000 percent a Steelers fan." The Steelers, of course, are the Browns' chief rival.

Dude is a Browns fan now.

Edited by NaTaS

This is very good news for all Browns fans! Hopefully the new owner can put the team on a path that finally makes them a winner in the near future, as well as over the long term!!!

• Upvote 1

Wonder how much truth there is to the rumors that Haslam is gonna blow up Cleveland's front office. Is two years a little too soon to give up on Holmgren and Co.?

It's too late in the year to do anything now. Mike and Co have the season to impress the right people... If not, they are gone. Although honestly... Not sure if much can save them now.

Looking at the Browns from a historic standpoint, I really hope this helps dig the Browns out of the dirt that they have been sitting in for a while now. Maybe having an owner who actually cares about the team and wants to be involved will help out a lot.

Good to hear for the Browns fans though!

• Upvote 1