Bay

Titans running backs coach claims Chris Johnson hasn’t changed

Marshall Faulk broke down the Titans game film regarding Chris Johnson, and said no RB in the NFL could have success behind this line because of the penetration they allow.

Marshall Faulk = Fail

Mike Mayock = Winning

Mike Mayock on the Dan Patrick Show a couple minutes ago:

"My project on Monday morning was to watch every carry that Chris Johnson's had [this year], including preseason. so I did. I watched every single run and carry through Tuesday and I came to three conclusions. Number one: defenses are stacking the box and saying, "Chris Johnson, you're not going to beat us." Number two: the offensive line is average at best. Number three: like a lot of top runningbacks, when they get frustrated they start to bounce things and look for the home run. And my deal is, if the play is blocked for four yards get the four yards, and he's not doing that. He's bounced everything, he's trying to hit a home run, and they are way out of sync in their run game."

I think that third one has a much larger effect than most people realise. Even just watching him against the Steelers today, he can't seem to make up his mind on where he wants to go. Too much dancing in the backfield and not enough conviction in hitting the holes.

Ya and that makes his OLine look much worse than it even is. Not saying that are good, or even average... But when your RB decides not to hit a hole and gain what he can, and dance around in the backfield... Of course there is going to be a lot of negative plays.

The Steelers' DL is atrocious and allowed humongous holes all game, yet Johnson was hesitant and decided to dance rather than hitting the MASSIVE holes. At one point Mayock was yelling "GO! GO!" in the middle of a play, lol.

Oline played good tonight. Steelers had alot of injuries of course but still, nice to see the oline be able to hold someone from getting in the backfield.

despite what we can all admit was an abysmal start, CJ is now 8th in the league in yards per game (6th in total yards, but hasn't had his bye) and has 5 games with over 90 yards (three over 100 and one at 99)

absolutely horrid vision? where does that assessment come from? the rest of this comment I'd say is pretty on point, but I wouldn't say he has horrid vision, you can say he looks for the home run too much, but I wouldn't equate that with horrid vision, nobody can see a whole that isn't there

Sorry it took so long, but I say that because he has a lane that he will get 5 or 6 yards making 2nd down pretty nice. Nope. Not him. He has to bounce it outside because if he can get the corner that isnt there than it is a foot race he wins with almost anybody in the league.

Maybe it is him being a selfish prick or someone who is so egotistical it has to be a home run every time at the expense of his team. It is his biggest problem by far.

However, I have seen him give up lanes in traffic that were there to try and get an edge and take a loss. That is HORRID vision when you do it 6 times a game.

despite what we can all admit was an abysmal start, CJ is now 8th in the league in yards per game (6th in total yards, but hasn't had his bye) and has 5 games with over 90 yards (three over 100 and one at 99)

Lol.

Let's see him do it against a non-garbage defense when it actually counts.

Sorry it took so long, but I say that because he has a lane that he will get 5 or 6 yards making 2nd down pretty nice. Nope. Not him. He has to bounce it outside because if he can get the corner that isnt there than it is a foot race he wins with almost anybody in the league.

Maybe it is him being a selfish prick or someone who is so egotistical it has to be a home run every time at the expense of his team. It is his biggest problem by far.

However, I have seen him give up lanes in traffic that were there to try and get an edge and take a loss. That is HORRID vision when you do it 6 times a game.

okay, that's probably the most universal criticism of CJ, but I (and most commentators I've seen) chalk it up to looking for a homerun on every play, which I agree that he definitely needs to stop doing

Lol.

Let's see him do it against a non-garbage defense when it actually counts.

141 against Houston (the #2 run defense) is nothing to scoff at, and even if you throw out the 80 yard td run at the end of the Bears (the #6 run defense) game he still had 65 yards on only 15 carries, he also had 91 against Pittsburgh (the #7 run d) and you're not really going to say that 195 yards on 18 carries isn't impressive just because it was against the Bills are you? if you need context it's the highest total a back has had against them by about 60 yards (Branden Bolden of the Patriots had 137 against them) for further context, Arian Foster had 111 yards against them and Frank Gore had 106, but really, the circumstances don't matter, 195 yards and almost 11 ypc is impressive no matter who you're playing

Now another point, which I didn't have time to put together earlier: CJ has only had 20+ carries in two games this year and he's now averaging 5.0 ypc, I know the argument will be made about long runs skewing the average but it's complete crap because that's the type of back CJ has always been, he'll get you the homerun or he'll lose you yardage, it's just what you have to accept when you root for him, and if 5.0 ypc holds out it'll be his second highest ypc figure for a season second only to his 2k yard season

I'm not saying he's the best back in the league right now (or should even be in that conversation) but I do think at this point we have to say that he's not done

Edited by oochymp

okay, that's probably the most universal criticism of CJ, but I (and most commentators I've seen) chalk it up to looking for a homerun on every play, which I agree that he definitely needs to stop doing

Yeah but as I am sure you have seen sometimes he just sprints to the corner, he does not even look at the lane or does not see it.

Chris Johnson has 105 yards today against a Miami team that hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 22 straight games.

and that 17 yard td run in the first was absolutely horrid vision

and that 17 yard td run in the first was absolutely horrid vision

that was the exception not the rule. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Does this thread really get bumped every time Johnson has a really good or really bad performance? Christ, people, find something else to argue about.

• Upvote 1

that was the exception not the rule. A broken clock is right twice a day.

it's really not an exception at all, he creates that sort of play with decent regularity, making it completely worth it for him to look for it

That TD run was similiar to CJs TD vs the Chargers a couple years ago. Beast.

Does this thread really get bumped every time Johnson has a really good or really bad performance? Christ, people, find something else to argue about.

I waited until he strung together a few good games before bumping it last week then figured it'd make more sense to just bump this thread rather than create a new one, the discussion has just continued from there

Back in my homer days (like 2009) I hated CJ because people were saying he had taken the title from AP. However, I've grown up and I realize he's a great back. Props to CJ for getting his act together and rectifying what so far had been a terrible season for him.

it's really not an exception at all, he creates that sort of play with decent regularity, making it completely worth it for him to look for it

If you say so.

If you say so.

He's been in double figures in runs over 20 yards every year other than his rookies season (when he only had 9 while splitting carries with LenDale White) with a total of 46 over the three years (48 games) I'd call that at least decent regularity. Three years may not sound like a lot, but no other back has had double figures in both of the last two seasons and AP and Frank Gore are the only other backs to hit double figures twice in that span. Also, he's got six so far this year which projects to 9.6, but considering all six of his 20+ yard runs this season have been in the last four games I think he'll be able to get to ten and keep that streak alive. You don't do that with horrid vision.

He's been in double figures in runs over 20 yards every year other than his rookies season (when he only had 9 while splitting carries with LenDale White) with a total of 46 over the three years (48 games) I'd call that at least decent regularity. Three years may not sound like a lot, but no other back has had double figures in both of the last two seasons and AP and Frank Gore are the only other backs to hit double figures twice in that span. Also, he's got six so far this year which projects to 9.6, but considering all six of his 20+ yard runs this season have been in the last four games I think he'll be able to get to ten and keep that streak alive. You don't do that with horrid vision.

unless you are really really fast. There is a reason why all sluggers in baseball have more strikeouts then most people.

I don't care what's bad or good about him.

All I care about is 862 yards and 5.1 ypc. And he's showing he doesn't have to rely on long runs to get his yardage, either. His longest run yesterday was only 21 yards, longest run vs the Texans when he put up 141 yards was 19, longest run when he put up 91 vs Pittsburgh was only 13, longest run when putting up 99 vs Indy was 14.

He can get it done whether he needs to do it by breaking off 80 yarders or he can chip away with 4 and 5 yard gains all game. It don't matter.

Huge props goes to Munch and Bruce Matthews in fixing this offensive line, too. We were abysmal to start the year, and now we have what I'd call one of the better run blocking lines over the past 6 or 7 games. Lutui looked like an improvement yesterday over Harris, as well, so that could possibly get even better.

Now that CJ has some faith in his o-line, he's back to 08-10 form.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Chris Johnson is tied for 4th in rushing atm considering he has had at least 4 games with 24 yards are less. He has really picked it up rushing for at least 90 yards in his last 5 games; 3 of them 100 yard games. He's had some big games against the Texans, Steelers, and the Bears who are top five defenses. I'm not saying he's top five or anything but I think it's fair to say he's at least bounced back from that horrible slump he was in. He's putting in work.

Edited by dutchff7