Vin

Ravens @ Eagles

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

A late game-winning drive salvaged an otherwise dreadful Week 1 for Michael Vick.

Joe Flacco was brilliant for virtually all 60 minutes.

Vick could be facing an unfriendly home crowd if his performance is much like the season opener, and Philadelphia Eagles fans would only be more temperamental if Flacco and the new-look Baltimore Ravens offense have another big game Sunday.

Limited to 12 snaps in the preseason due to injuries, Vick looked rusty last Sunday as he tied a career high with four interceptions in a 17-16 victory at Cleveland in a game many expected the Eagles to win easily. Vick had to march them 91 yards for the go-ahead touchdown with 1:18 to play.

"The great thing about it was nobody pointed fingers," said Vick, who finished 29 of 56 for 317 yards. "Everybody just stuck together and encouraged one another."

Philadelphia fans might not have been as supportive. Many complained on Twitter and sports radio that Vick should have been pulled for rookie backup Nick Foles, who impressed in the preseason.

"I know Michael took the blame," coach Andy Reid said. "But it's not a one-man show. That's not what it is."

In fact, Reid received some blame for having Vick throw so much - his attempts were a career high - and not getting LeSean McCoy more involved early on. The Pro Bowl runner had 12 carries through three quarters, then got eight more in the fourth and finished with 110 yards.

One of the biggest knocks on Vick is he doesn't take better care of the football - or himself - after missing seven games over the past two seasons due to injuries. He fumbled twice last Sunday - neither was lost - and continued to take many hits, whether when dropping back to pass or scrambling.

"I have a responsibility to this team and that's to lead them, not to hurt them," said Vick, referencing his fourth interception, which was returned for a TD that put the Browns ahead in the fourth quarter.

While Vick emerged with the NFC's lowest passer rating, Flacco was named AFC offensive player of the week after a 44-13 rout of Cincinnati on Monday night.

Flacco finished 21 of 29 for 299 yards with two TDs and no turnovers.

"Scary good. That's probably the word right there," said coach John Harbaugh, a former Eagles assistant under Reid. "... Joe Flacco is going to be a great player. Joe Flacco is a great player. Joe Flacco has been a great player."

Baltimore debuted its new no-huddle offense, a scheme Flacco seemed to relish. He hit Torrey Smith with a 52-yard pass on the game's first offensive play and would lead the Ravens to points on all but two of their possessions, excluding a kneeldown to end the first half.

"We practiced against this offense all offseason, so to see it now, when everything is real, I think you have to take your hats off to how we worked as a team," said Ray Lewis, who had an AFC-best 14 tackles and a sack to kick off his 17th season.

"Trust me, I am pro-Joe because he has proved himself year in and year out."

Lewis led a Baltimore defense that had a solid debut under new coordinator Dean Pees despite the absence of reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year Terrell Suggs, out until at least November with a torn Achilles. The Ravens had four sacks and forced two turnovers, one a 34-yard interception return for a touchdown by Ed Reed.

However, their once-vaunted run defense - they allowed the league's second-fewest rushing yards last season - let Cincinnati gain 129 yards on 28 carries.

The Eagles are 9-1 when McCoy rushes for 100 yards.

Philadelphia's defense also played well last Sunday but was facing a Cleveland team relying on rookies at quarterback and running back. Facing Flacco and Ray Rice, who had 68 yards and two TDs on 10 carries in Week 1, will surely be a stiffer test.

"This Philadelphia team, they came off a big win, a tight game," Flacco said. "It was a pretty crazy game, and they're going to be at their home opener, and they're going to be ready to go. It should be a lot of fun."

Baltimore beat visiting Philadelphia 36-7 in 2008 in the last matchup as Flacco threw for two TDs and Reed had a 107-yard interception return for a touchdown. The series is tied 1-1-1.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Ordinarily I'd want the Ravens to win, but I think I want the Eagles to win just to quiet all the complaining Eagles fans. At least for this week, anyway.

Hate to say it but the Ravens are going to eat Vick alive and Andy Reid just isn't smart enough to run the ball or try to do things to try and catch that defense off balance. Expect more routes that take forever to develop. More 5 step drop backs to expose Vick to more and more punishment and expect us to lose by at least 10 points unless our defense can do to the Ravens offense what it did to Cleveland's. Even if they do, Flacco isn't the best but he's also not a rookie.

This is by far the most intriguing game to me this weekend.

There are so many questions.

So we get the Flacco that plays like last week or the one who lays an egg versus Jacksonville?

Do we get last week's Eagle's or do we get the one that puts up 600 yards of total offense ?

Do we get the shitty run defense from the Ravens like last week against the Law firm going against a much better Shady McCoy or will it be the run defense they have always had?

Is Andy Reid only going to call 15 runs and help the Ravens and take away their biggest playmaker imo ?

I mean these are all very intriguing questions.

I think the Eagles are going to get a heavy dose of Ray Rice to ease that pass rush and free up Joe for that play action. If Cam realizes he is not the end all be all like last week this could be a another good game for Flacco if he operates the no huddle. People look at the 299 yards and say it was not impressive but left in the game instead of being pulled with 13 minutes left in the 4th he could have been walking down 400. Their corners are a good match up in MAN COVERAGE against us. DRC-really fast/Torrey-really fast. Boldin-physical/Nnamdi-physical. But this is when they are playing man this zone coverage could bt them in the ass.

That said the Ravens are historically bad under harbs for week 2 letdowns after big opening day wins so this does not bode well.

All in all I will stick with the Ravens but not as confident as I was versus the Bengals.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

As we saw last week, that Ravens play action can be lethal. But so can the Eagles, if they used it in the right moments unlike last week. Though, the Ravens are not real impressive on the road. I'll take the Eagles improving over the Ravens equaling their week 1 performance.

:Eagles: 28

:Ravens: 20

Yeah, I can't wait for this match up either. This is a true measuring stick for my team to see how we fair against a true contender. But to what Ngata said, for me it all depends on what Eagles team shows up. The undisciplined eagles who shoots themselves in the foot with mistakes or the Eagles that "CAN" play great football and be a dangerous threat (with great innovative play calling).

Because of all our shiny new pieces on defense, I've been more excited with our defensive match ups more so then our offense. Against a newly found Ravens offense with one of the best RBs in the league along with play making WRs. I want to see how our LB core try and contain Ray Rice. I want to see how our corners cover Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith. I want to see our pass rush explode on Flacco... I can't wait to see this defensive match up against their new no huddle look.

As far as the offense, it flys or falls pending on Mike Vicks performance. Last weeks performance definitely rattled me a bit with bad decision making; even more so the bad play calling to dial up 56 pass plays for Mike Vick. The Browns defense had Vick confused with the looks they were given him and that can't happen this week with Ed Reed (Greatest ball hawk of all time) and a stout Ladarious Webb in the back field. I want to see better play calls this week and Vick show us some flashes of that 2010 campaign. He has to step up in these big games like this and we will find out sooner then later if he's our franchise QB.

I want to see how the Eagles will utilize LeSean McCoy. I want to see how effective will our running game be, I want to see the Eagles utilize McCoy in screens, get him in open space with HB draws etc and show the Ravens that we have a receiving threat at the RB position too :grinno: Can Ray in shape lead his team to contain one of the most elusive RBs in the league. Can't wait to find out.

This is one of the games of the week and I'm excited. Ravens are a great team and this will tell me a lot about my eagles. Do we rise to the challenge and BEAT a great team or fall short. I say we do even though I know it can easily go the other way. I'm confident in my teams potential but they need to put it together and be more then that scary inconsistent wild card team and take that next step towards elite.

:Eagles: 27

:Ravens: 24

Edited by dutchff7

Let me point to last season's first two games for Baltimore.

Week 1: Demolish a good team in Pittsburgh

Week 2: Lose by double digits to a mediocre at best Titans team

It could happen again. Baltimore is thrice the team Philly is, but the Ravens tend to play down to their competition at times.

I'm surprised the Eagles are favorites in this game after their week 1 performance, and the Ravens week 1 performance.

With that being said, both teams are pretty inconsistent. Last week, the Eagles barely beat the Browns and looked like shit, but we all know they are a better team than that. Last week, the Ravens beat the shit out of the Bengals and Flacco was making all the throws. However, last year they dropped a few easy games like against the Jags and Seahawks.

I think the Ravens win this game, but it would not surprise me at all to see the Eagles beat them either.

LeSean McCoy sees "some lanes to run" in Ravens' defense

Specifically, McCoy said, Baltimore's defense showed that it has some holes in that victory over Cincinnati."The Bengals actually did a good job just running the ball, setting up on blocks," McCoy said, via CSNPhilly.com. "I think there will be some lanes to run in."McCoy has a point: Bengals running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis picked up 91 yards on 18 carries against the Ravens, and backup Cedric Peerman added 22 yards on three carries.

The Ravens didn't give up many long runs (the Bengals' longest gain on the ground was 14 yards), but Cincinnati picked up consistent chunks of yardage all night."They do a good job of just bending a little bit, but they don't break," McCoy said. "They're a tough defense. They'll give you the quick two or quick three but not too [many] big [plays]."McCoy will need to make some big plays when those lanes to run open up in front of him.

A 0-2 start would be a death sentence for the Eagles.

Good thing we won last week then. :yep:

Ravens will barely win it,just like Eagles did last week against the Browns..

:Ravens: 20

:Eagles: 17

:Ravens: 28

:Eagles: 14

Like the Ravens to get out of Philly being 2-0. :yep:

eremy Maclin (hip) and DeSean Jackson (hamstring) are both active and starting in Sunday's game against the Ravens. As expected. The Eagles do have five wideouts "up" for the game, but both of their starters looked good while getting loose about 90 minutes before kickoff. Jackson and Maclin are both low-end WR3s in this tough matchup. D-Jax is considered closer to 100 percent, but is expected to draw top Ravens corner Lardarius Webb.

The Eagles' inactives: RB Dion Lewis, QB Trent Edwards, CB Curtis Marsh, WR Riley Cooper, OT Dennis Kelly, OL Nate Menkin and DE Vinny Curry.

Ravens declared OLB Paul Kruger (back) inactive for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

The Ravens are getting thin at the "rush" linebacker spot. Kruger was taking the spot of Terrell Suggs, who is on the PUP list thanks to an Achilles' tendon tear. Look for rookie Courtney Upshaw to get a big bump in playing time.

Other Ravens inactives: WR LaQuan Williams, CB Asa Jackson, T/G Jah Reid, TE Billy Bajema, DE DeAngelo Tyson and DT Byron Hall.

TD Shady. Cullen Jenkins helping get great field position after the Eagles turned it over themselves was big picking up the offense.

What a win. More stupid penalties and turnovers in the first half but we managed the keep the score close and played a great second half to get the victory.

Next week against Arizona...smells like a trap. But in the meantime, 2-0 for the first time since 2004.

:rock:

Great win for our ball club today when everyone voted against us. The tone was set early showing it was going to be an intense game and it proved to be a good game.

Offense- Our offense was still turnover happy. Vick had two picks, one was in the redzone which was a horrible read and the other pick was off the hands of Celek. Shady had a fumble and Bryce Brown. Our O-line suffered a lot of injuries and Vick got hit at least 12 times. Our offense struggled to gain any momentum until that 1 drive in the 3rd quarter for the Maclin TD and the 2 minute DRIVE TD (when it really counted) to put us in the lead. Celek was SHITTING on the Ravens defense: 8 catches 157 yards.

Defense- I've been talking up our defense since the preseason. Couldn't full rate them against the Browns but they didn't disappoint me today against a GREAT team. Our defense played AMAZING today. Ravens had a few big plays but couldn't get any good momentum going on and had a lot of 3 and outs; held to 4/14 on 3rd down, the money down. Besides for that on TD against Nnamdi and 1 big play on DRC (Torrey Smith), the Ravens wide outs got SHUT OUT! Ray Rice was their main receiver getting lose in the flats shitting on KURT COLEMAN in the process. Kurt Coleman is the main glaring hole in our defense; way to inconsistent. Pitta their TE had a good game too. Kendricks (my proclaimed prodigy) had another GREAT game. DeMeco Ryans has been a gift from heaven and has been the impact player we hoped he would be. Clutch interception and sack when we really needed it :yep:

Overall, I am STOKED about our defensive play which kept us in the game with over offense having FOUR TURNOVERS. Our defense consistently made plays to put our offense in great positions to take the game away but too many turnovers. Our defense stood tall and kept us in the game and won the battle on the Ravens last drive to win the game which great defenses do. Not claiming we are there yet, but I think we can build to that if they continue their success. If our offense can limit the turnovers, I think we can easily make the transition from a scary inconsistent talented paper team to an elite team.

We played a great team and came out on top in the last 2 mins. Great resiliency from our squad with all the turnovers who found out a way to win. Another 4th quarter come back win, 2nd week in a row.

GO E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!! :towel:

Edited by dutchff7

It could happen again. Baltimore is thrice the team Philly is, but the Ravens tend to play down to their competition at times.

As I said...

As I said...

We aren't a mediocre team, just inconsistent but still dangerous. Your Cowboys are looking quite mediocre right now though only scoring 7 points. :yep:

Our defense also put a COMPLETE halt to Joe Flaccos and company no huddle offense. :yep:

I'd like to give Vick a little credit for playing much better this week against a tough opponent. Hopefully he can continue this trend and we can start seeing the guy who was a legit MVP candidate in 2010. Not getting my hopes up too much but maybe.

and to Andy and Marty for sticking with the run even though we weren't getting a great per clip average

Edited by seanbrock

Arizona, a trap game? They're 2-0 too.

THE EAGLES FINALLY HAVE GOOD LB'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Ryans is great, but Mychal Kendricks man...he played a huge role in stopping Ray Rice in the pass game, and he was all over the field today.

And as long as we're talking about promising young players on defense, Brandon Boykin looks pretty damn good as well.