AllYouNeedIsLovie

Greg Schiano and Tom Coughlin argue after game

http://www.nfl.com/n...fter-giants-win

Jim Harbaugh and Jim Schwartz don't meet again until Sunday night, but Tom Coughlin and Greg Schiano provided a nice undercard of squabbling coaches at the Meadowlands.

Fox cameras captured Coughlin jawing at Schiano seconds after the New York Giants' 41-34 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday. According to The Star-Ledger, Coughlin was upset that Bucs defenders attempted to tackle Giants quarterback Eli Manning during a kneel-down in the final seconds.

"I don't think you do that," Coughlin said, according to the New York Post. "You don't do that in this league. Not only that, you jeopardize the offensive line, you jeopardize the quarterback. Thank goodness we didn't get anybody hurt -- that I know of. A couple of linemen were late getting in."

Manning told reporters after the game that he took "a little bit of a cheap shot" on the play, according to the Post. Wide receiver Victor Cruz made several mentions of a "cheap shot" during his time with reporters. Defensive lineman Justin Tuck said the play "won't be forgotten."

Bucs defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said the players were just doing as they're instructed, and Schiano confirmed that, saying it's something his Rutgers teams always did.

"I don't know if that's not something that's done in the National Football League," the first-year Bucs coach said, according to the Post. "What I do with our football team is that we fight until they tell us game over. And there's nothing dirty about it, there's nothing illegal about it. We crowd the ball like a sneak defense and try to knock it loose. ...

"We're not going to quit -- that's just the way I coach and teach our players. If some people are upset about it, that's just the way it goes. I don't have any hesitation. That's the way we play. We play clean, hard football until they tell us the game is over."

Coughlin clearly appeared to be the aggressor in the exchange, but Schiano wasn't holding back on return fire. Respect your elders, Greg.

I don't have a problem with it. It was a one possession game and it still wasn't technically over. We could have knocked the ball out of Eli's hands with the Giants not expecting anything, and returned it for a TD which would have tied the game. Your thoughts?

Edited by GoodellFTL
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Bucs did nothing wrong, The Giants have to stop being bitches about kneeldowns. I suppose they don't want Miracle at the Meadowlands 3 happening to them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The game is over at this point, and the cheap shot on Eli wasn't needed. I like Schiano's hard-nose philosophy, but this is not needed.

The game is technically not over still.

I think if we were successful in stripping Eli and returning it for a TD, people would have thought it was a genius idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't watch the play, but Eli said they gave a cheap shot on him. Was this before or after he had actually kneeled down?

They aren't going to fumble an end-game snap for a kneel down. Not gonna happen. This was dirty and unnecessary and Schiano should just apologize for warranting such a dangerous idea.

After the Bucs let that one get away when they were up 27-13, that play just looked bitter.

• Upvote 1

I'm of the opinion that the game is not over until the clock hits zero, provided it is still a one possession game. The Giants should have run the ball and killed the clock or done a kneel from shotgun.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is unlikely, but miracles happen. What if a Buc knocked the ball from Eli and someone picked it up and returned it for a TD? After seeing our team just flat out quit last year, I love that our HC won't let them quit this year. Even with a slim chance of victory.

If the Giants were up 21, it would be totally different, but the Bucs still had a slim chance of victory and I'm glad our HC is preaching to our player to not give up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Bucs did nothing wrong, The Giants have to stop being bitches about kneeldowns. I suppose they don't want Miracle at the Meadowlands 3 happening to them.

Agreed, the Giants are just being pussies. Props to Schiano for standing by his team, I liked his attitude towards the whole thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

After seeing the play, Eli never actually got "hit". His lineman just got knocked back into him... By the sounds of the report I thought someone got a clean shot or knocked the fuck out of Eli.. I just see the Bucs trying to make a miracle happen on the last play... Eli didn't get "touched" by a Bucs defender at all if you check the replay. Idk, if after seeing Mike Vick getting hit like a rag doll these last few years (late hits in all), this seems quite minuscule.

• Upvote 1

I see both sides.

But it's not illegal and there is a lot of people who seem to think it wasn't dirty, cheap or bush league.

Apparently (last night) Golic, Jaws, Ditka and ex-Giant Antonio Pierce said there was nothing wrong with it and that coach Coughlin was wrong in confronting coach Schiano mid-field.

Edit:

Thought these tweets by Derrick Mason were interesting..

@deemason85

Why is everyone mad at bucs head coach? His team played until the game was over! He was trying to get ball back! Whats wrong with that?

@deemason85

Dnt we preach "play till clock says 00:00" but u criticize him for doing just that! Anything can happen

@deemason85

Look at cardinals, they had game won if they kneel down but they decided to run the ball and Pats get a turnover and almost win the game!

@deemason85

If bucs get a turnover in that situation then everyone is saying"great call coach" "nice way to never quit" " that's how u play football"!

@deemason85

Bucs did it not go after Eli but the ball and Eli just so happen to be under center at the time!they were trying to catch them relaxing

@deemason85

Congrats to Gmen for winning the game and kudos to bucs for not quitting and trying to make something happen in the end!

Edited by BucD
  • Upvote 2

I hate watching a 15 second commercial for a 30 second long video.

However... There was ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the play. When I was reading things about "cheap" and "dirty", I thought the Bucs knocked Eli out cold or something... I don't even know if the Bucs TOUCHED Eli.. It looks like they pushed the Olineman back into Eli and Eli tripped over onto his ass. :rofl:

Nothing dirty at all. No problem with the play call.

I don't know why Coughlin is mad, and I don't know why this is even in the news.

• Upvote 1

Coughlin is gonna feel really stupid watching the tape of this game and realizing that Eli just tripped over his own or his centers feet and the Bucs were INDEED going after the ball just like Coach Schiano said.

You can't blame a coach for defending his players, it's what any of them would do... But this is silly. lol

• Upvote 2

I'm with Schiano on this one. Props to the new guy for realizing he was right and standing up to an NFL coach who's won 2 Super Bowls.

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

What Schiano and the Buccs did isn't technically illegal, but it's bush league. And try to cover up the fact that he's a sore loser (of which I have no problem with) with the awfully stupid excuse of "we play to 00:00" is, well, stupid. Take your ass-kicking like a man.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

What Schiano and the Buccs did isn't technically illegal, but it's bush league. And try to cover up the fact that he's a sore loser (of which I have no problem with) with the awfully stupid excuse of "we play to 00:00" is, well, stupid. Take your ass-kicking like a man.

BS, it isn't about being a sore loser. It is about still trying to win the game, something he has preached from day one. The odds were incredibly slim, but the 0.001% odds of getting a fumble and TD is still better than the 0% chance you have standing there and watching. Derrick Mason is right, it is funny how coaches constantly preach playng until the final whistle, but at the same time they believe in some BS unwritten rule about laying down and not playing when a team is trying to knee the ball.

I still want to know who said that just because a team is kneeing the ball, that everyone should just sit there? Maybe this will wake some teams up and realize that they should take these plays more seriously because they could lose the ball or have their QB get hit if they don't. I remember the Bucs were trying to knee the ball against the Cardinals a few years ago and Darnell Dockett actually got in there and got the ball free for a second, but nobody ever even thought about it or discussed it. Mainly because Gruden didn't run onto the field throwing a hissy fit.

Im a fan of Rutgers, always liked Schiano. But I didnt like this. Schiano's like school on Saturady........No class

They had a chance to win the game fair and square and didnt. Granted, its not a written rule and isnt illegal, but its an understanding in todays NFL, that you just dont do that. He can rationalize it however he wants, but Im not buying it. You dont jeapordize the health and safety of players in the closing seconds of a game when they arent prepared for it, its dangerous and classless.

Edited by NYGIANTSFLYHIGH

Im a fan of Rutgers, always liked Schiano. But I didnt like this. Schiano's like school on Saturady........No class

They had a chance to win the game fair and square and didnt. Granted, its not a written rule and isnt illegal, but its an understanding in todays NFL, that you just dont do that. He can rationalize it however he wants, but Im not buying it. You dont jeapordize the health and safety of players in the closing seconds of a game when they arent prepared for it, its dangerous and classless.

It is nobody's fault but your own for not being prepared for it. Just because you think the game is over, doesn't mean the opponent does. There was time on the clock and a longshot of winning, the Bucs had every right to try and get the ball loose. It isn't like we went flying in and hit Eli, I'm still not even sure a Buc player touched him. Besides, if you are so concerned about your starting QB getting hurt when you already had "won the game fair and square", put the backup out there. Is David Carr incapable of kneeing the ball?

• Upvote 2

Ass-kicking? Did you watch the game? It came down to the final seconds and we were up for most of the game. We EASILY could have tied it up had Mike Williams made that catch on the sideline with 12 seconds to go. Not blaming Mike because it was a tough catch (perfectly thrown ball by Freeman though), but just saying, it was no where close to an ass kicking.

I don't think his excuse is stupid at all. Game was technically not over and like I said before, had the play worked, everyone would be praising Schiano.

• Upvote 1

Ass-kicking? Did you watch the game Phail lol?

• Upvote 1