Vin

49ers @ Vikings

The San Francisco 49ers are nearing their best start in 14 seasons partly because their defense did enough to keep a pair of the NFL's top quarterbacks from beating them.

Their own signal-caller has done a pretty nice job as well.

Alex Smith and the unbeaten 49ers visit the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday in a game that will also feature Randy Moss' return to the city where he became a star.

San Francisco (2-0) is in position to win its first three games for the first time since 1998 after getting past Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers and Detroit's Matthew Stafford in the last two weeks. The 49ers held those offenses more than 23 points and 210 yards below their combined averages from last season, when both ranked among the league's top five - as did their quarterbacks in most categories.

The Niners limited Stafford, a 5,038-yard passer in 2011, to 19 of 32 for 230 yards in a 27-19 victory last Sunday. Dashon Goldson's interception set up Frank Gore's short touchdown run in the second quarter, and Aldon Smith had 1 1/2 of the team's two sacks after being involved in a car accident Friday.

"Playing on this team right now is really exciting," the linebacker said. "Being fortunate enough to play on this defense is even more exciting, playing with all the playmakers."

On the other side of the ball, San Francisco has committed one turnover and Alex Smith hasn't thrown an interception in a franchise-record 216 consecutive regular-season passes.

Smith hasn't topped 226 yards in either of the first two games but is the league's second-rated passer (115.9). He's completed 70.2 percent of his throws with four touchdowns, including two to tight end Vernon Davis last Sunday.

"The way Alex is playing, he's so efficient with the football, he knows exactly where to go," Minnesota coach Leslie Frazier told the team's website. "He has the capability as well so that creates a lot of problems for any defense that lines up to play them. We'll have our hands full defending the run game and not giving up big plays in the passing game."

Moss had only one reception for 14 yards against Detroit after catching four passes for 47 yards and a touchdown during his debut with San Francisco. He totaled 574 receptions, 9,142 yards and 90 TDs over seven star-studded and sometimes contentious seasons in Minnesota before being traded to Oakland on March 2, 2005.

"I'm just very fortunate to go back where it all started at. We had some great times in Minnesota," Moss said after practice Wednesday. "I'm looking forward to just hearing the Metrodome rock. Now I'm on with the away team and I look forward to a good game."

The 35-year-old Moss, who has never played against the Vikings, enters this game needing 81 receiving yards to join Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens and Isaac Bruce as the only players to reach 15,000.

"Watching him on tape, they utilize (Moss) in different packages. I know he's playing well for them and making plays for their offense," Frazier said. "It always seems like he's motivated to play. He had a lot of great years here in Minnesota. We've got to do a good job when we line up against him. He can still make plays.

"I would expect he would be up for this game like any game."

Frazier's team nearly joined San Francisco among the NFC's unbeaten teams but fell 23-20 in Indianapolis last Sunday on a field goal with 8 seconds to go.

Christian Ponder threw for two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, including a 6-yarder to Kyle Rudolph with 31 seconds left, as the Vikings (1-1) came from 13 points down to tie the game. Minnesota, though, allowed Colts rookie Andrew Luck to complete a pair of 20-yard passes to set up Adam Vinatieri's winning 53-yard kick.

"We've got to do better," Frazier said. "The way our team is built, we're going to play a lot of close games."

During his return, Moss will try to help San Francisco earn its first win at the Metrodome since Dec. 13, 1992. The 49ers have dropped four straight there and the latest was a last-minute defeat Sept. 27, 2009.

That's the last matchup between these teams. Gore, fourth in the NFL with 201 rushing yards, suffered an ankle injury early in that game while Adrian Peterson rushed for 85 yards.

Peterson has gone seven straight games without reaching 100 yards, one shy of a career high.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

49ers should win this one pretty easily. I am interested to see how Christian Ponder does against the 49ers D. He has looked good so far, but that was against the Jags and Colts.

Dat 49ers D bringing em to the NFC Championship. :bookit:

I fully expect San Francisco to prevail in this game, and by more than ten points. However, do not be surprised if the Vikings overachieve at Mall of America Field on Sunday and this year in general. They almost always play well at home.

On another note, this is going to come down to Christian Ponder, because San Fran seems to know how to shut down AP.

As much as I like both teams... I seriously think IMO the NINERS will win this one... I just can't see Minnesota beating a good team that had a great season last year.

Christian Ponder has been deadly efficient so far this season, but with AP still on the mend, he needs to infuse an added element of explosion into the Vikings passing game.

This might not be a great week to try it out, however. lol... The Niners are great against the deep ball, but will give you all the piddly stuff. Might be the recipe for success the Vikes need.

Unlikely, though. :p

The Niners beats the Packers, so they must now sweep the NFC North or suffer being demoted to Canada.

Vikings declared WR Jarius Wright, CB Brandon Burton, S Robert Blanton, LB Erin Henderson, OG Mark Asper, and DE DeAundre Reed inactive for Week 3 against the 49ers.

49ers declared RB Brandon Jacobs, QB Scott Tolzien, WR A.J. Jenkins, RB LaMichael James, G Josh Looney, NT Ian Williams, and WR Ted Ginn inactive for Week 3 against the Vikings.

Jacobs continues to nurse his way back from a knee injury. Ginn is also injured. Jenkins and James have and will continue to be healthy scratches.

lawl had a dream where AP busted off a huge TD on us I still think we win what we be a much closer game than people think.

We had them 4th and goal from the one after we stopped AP and they rollout and find Rudolph who we can't cover right now.

Edited by BayAreaBomber

Get into the fucking endzone, AP! I nearly picked this as an upset, but thought better of it. If the Vikings somehow win, I suck.

lol blocked FG, not our day.

Get into the fucking endzone, AP! I nearly picked this as an upset, but thought better of it. If the Vikings somehow win, I suck.

Haha. I almost picked this one too.. I thought I had dejavu of the Vikings winning, but I think it was just a dream about Brett's last second comeback on them a few years ago so I decided I was just crazy.

I still have faith though... Goooooooooooooo Niners

Well, we're in this thing.

Not anymore. Well done Vikings.

Ponder had a great game. AP did some good things.

You just beat us.

No wait we beat ourselves! :troll:

I told people all week that this would be a game, but I didn't even believe it. I wish I'd have just made this pick. Damn.

Christian Ponder has surpassed Andy Dalton from last year's class, I think, and is approaching Cam if Cam don't start playing better. Ponder looks like a seasoned veteran right now, and he's so dangerous with his legs. I knew he was fast, but on that touchdown up the gut...DAMN.

Can we give the Vikes some respect, now? Or did San Fran just play that poorly?

I haven't felt this good about a win in along time. The team looked great on both sides of the ball (besides Gerharts three fumbles). Ponder made very smart decisions and the Oline actually gave him time to make reads. The defense finally created some turnovers and even got an INT. Hope this carries over to next Sunday.

I told people all week that this would be a game, but I didn't even believe it. I wish I'd have just made this pick. Damn.

Christian Ponder has surpassed Andy Dalton from last year's class, I think, and is approaching Cam if Cam don't start playing better. Ponder looks like a seasoned veteran right now, and he's so dangerous with his legs. I knew he was fast, but on that touchdown up the gut...DAMN.

Can we give the Vikes some respect, now? Or did San Fran just play that poorly?

Ponder has played well, but he hasn't surpassed Andy Dalton. Dalton's QBR from the last two games? 128 and 132. The Red Rifle is warming up.