Barracuda

2013 Bacon Shortage

Is it pork-ageddon? Britain's National Pig Association has sounded the alarm that the world should brace for an "unavoidable" bacon and pork shortage next year.

The cause of the trouble is high pig-feed costs caused by what it describes in a press release as "the global failure of maize and soya harvests."

The organization notes that new data shows that pig herds are declining at a significant rate, not just in Britain, but around the world.

The way out of this coming catastrophe is to subsidize pig farmers to stem the loss of their herds, says the industry group. The organization has also launched a "Save Our Bacon" campaign, which encourages consumers to buy British pork products.

It's not just Europe that will be seeing shortages: The U.S. will also face a bacon shortage. The Guardian reports that the cost of bacon has doubled since 2006, and record droughts are to blame. Consumption of bacon is falling as prices have been rising.

"It's not that people don't want to eat pork, it's just that they increasingly can't afford to," economist Steve Meyer told the publication. "We've been warning about this for years. Now that we are talking about bacon, we've really got everyone's attention."

Sure do.

The Twitter response was predictably massive, as commenters took to the microblogging site to bemoan the state of a future porkless plate. @TylerMachado posted, "Maybe we wouldn't be facing a bacon shortage if you twee hipsters didn't put bacon on cupcakes, in mixed drinks, etc." @AJackart added, overdramatically, "I am officially on suicide watch, this is tragic!"

And @ACabot88 wrote, "The Mayans were right, the world is coming to an end."

The Gothamist actually tried to suggest bacon alternatives—soy bacon, anyone?

Few bacon lovers on Twitter seem inspired to try a meat-free diet. Unless forced. Posted @billy_reid_atl, "World without bacon? Say it isn't so! Enjoy it now... while you can."

@Hilda was already thinking outside the grocery store: "All this bacon shortage talk has me thinking, if I can't have backyard chickens, maybe I can get away with a backyard pig?"

:Suicide:

God help us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I find bacon to be pretty disgusting. :shrug:

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY.

About time someone else I come across agrees with me. I'm sick of the bacon memes and sick of the product.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY.

About time someone else I come across agrees with me. I'm sick of the bacon memes and sick of the product.

Infinity high-five. :yep:

I also hate potatoes (unless they're scalloped), which nobody understands.

Bacon is always good, but I like it because it's easy to make. You're right when you say potatoes are gross though.

how can people not like potatoes? they're such a bland food, is it a texture thing?

how can people not like potatoes? they're such a bland food, is it a texture thing?

They're bland, but they do have a distinct taste, which I dislike greatly. I am big on texture and am a pretty picky eater (though that's slowly changing as I grow older), but the texture doesn't bother me. I only like potatoes if I can't taste that they're potatoes, lol. If they have cheese or they're seasoned well, I'll eat them.

I had some "loaded" mashed potatoes at Chili's when I ate there and they were seasoned and had cheese and other stuff on top. Those were delicious. That's about how I am with bacon and other pork products. They have to be a certain type or made a certain way for me to like it. I dunno', I'm strange. I hate condiments and all dressings except BBQ sauce, blue cheese, and some Caesars.

Zack and Bay, do you two get any meat products from actual butcher shops or mostly from grocery stores?

I don't know how widespread butcher shops/meat markets are in other parts of the country, so this is an honest question, not mockery.

Zack and Bay, do you two get any meat products from actual butcher shops or mostly from grocery stores?

I don't know how widespread butcher shops/meat markets are in other parts of the country, so this is an honest question, not mockery.

No meat shops here, though I live in a town of around 30,000.

I just can't stand the taste of potatoes, it really feels like swallowing puke. I think I can only tolerate fries because they're salted so much, otherwise the pukey mushy taste comes through. Chips are fine, because they're only like 10% potato anyway.

No meat shops here, though I live in a town of around 30,000.

That is really unfortunate. The best stuff comes from those places.

Granted, I think it's so common in ND because there's only a few cities here. The best butcher shop I know of is in a town of 2000, but it's so far from any one of the cities (at least 150 miles) that those kinds of businesses can thrive there.

y'all are gonna make it difficult to keep eating potatoes. NO!

I eat bacon and I think it is good, but I never got why people think it is the greatest thing to ever be tasted. Of course, I play along with the jokes because they're funny.

Bacon is quite possibly the greatest thing that I have ever had the privilege of tasting.

Potatoes are up there too.

Then when you put those two things together like I do...look out.

You nay sayers are unhuman.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do love me some potatoes though :rock:

All that hate bacon should exchange their penis for a hairy, bloody, mangina. You filthy animals don't know good shit until it comes out your anus apparently.

• Downvote 3

I am indifferent on bacon. I like it and will enjoy it on occasion. When it comes to breakfast though it is abll about the oatmeal and toast.

And potatoes I like but being a broke ass private with an expensive drinking habit, potatoes were cheap had a shit ton of fiber (see what I did there) so they were naturally eaten almost 5 times a week religiously so I grew tired of them. And now that I am no longer a broke ass private I can step up a little to chicken breast or tuna.

I like it but I hardly have it enough to give a shit about this "shortage" that is "unavoidable".

I will eat potatoes, but never been a fan. I generally don't like anything that qualifies as, "comfort food." Anything that's a bunch of stuff to fill you up. Speaking of stuff, I absolutely HATE stuffing, like what a lot of people eat for Thanksgiving. Matter of fact, I hate Thanksgiving, just because of the food people usually eat at Thanksgiving. The only thing that I don't dislike is green beans, and pecan pie. But turkey? Meh. Potatoes? Meh. Cranberries? No thanks. I dunno, I'm a skinny dude though, I usually just stick to chicken, tuna, salmon, beef, vegetables, limited fruit and... well that's about it. I don't even really eat bread, or any grains (including beans, which is a grain) for that matter. My last doctors appointment he came back after I did the check up, blood work and all and he sat down and had to pause and had a look of disbelief and said, "Well... I never get to say this but, well, keep doing what you're doing, you're in immaculate health. In fact, the most healthy person I've come across in a few years."

I don't even really exercise that much. I play basketball every other week or so. I do push ups, squats and pull ups every so often. Just when I feel up to it really. I do ride my bike around town for errands instead of driving (mostly because of gas prices though.) I don't go running at all (except basketball.) In fact I've heard doing a lot of long distance and long extended periods of running is actually bad for you. They say it's best to just sprint for 15 minutes (not entirely, but sprint as fast and hard and long as you can, take a breath, then do it again during a 15 minute time period.) Walking is also I guess the best thing to do instead of jogging forever. It's what humans were made to do. Walk a lot, and sprint when predators came about or when you had to kill something to eat it. Makes sense, ;)

When he talked about my health, I told the doctor about my diet, and he was surprised I didn't eat grains. Then I told him, "Well if I'm the healthiest person you've met in awhile, there you go..."

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I eat bacon at least once a week, same with potatoes. Sweet potatoes are also good, but I don't have them nearly as much, anymore.

I don't understand how white potatoes taste like vomit. Do you really know what stomach bile tastes like, Sanjay?