Vin

Panthers @ Falcons

Matt Ryan owns the best passer rating in the NFL, and his unbeaten Atlanta Falcons are off to their best start in eight seasons.

Cam Newton is enduring a start to his second season with the Carolina Panthers that has been so difficult that he has been forced to deny that he is seeing a therapist.

Ryan and the Falcons have already built a two-game cushion atop the NFC South and will look to ruin another homecoming for Newton at the Georgia Dome on Sunday.

Atlanta has opened with three victories for the first time since a 4-0 start in 2004. Ryan has posted a 114.0 rating and his eight touchdowns are tied for most in the league.

"When Matt is playing with confidence, I think it permeates around the locker room," coach Mike Smith said. "We've got a lot of guys playing with confidence right now."

Confidence is currently lacking with Newton, who grew up in College Park - south of downtown Atlanta. No full-time starting quarterback has thrown fewer touchdown passes than the two by the player who won offensive rookie of the year honors in 2011.

Things got so bad during a 36-7 home loss to the Giants last Thursday that receiver Steve Smith told Newton to get up and watch backup Derek Anderson play at the end of the game instead of sulking on the bench. That incident has caused some to question Newton's mental toughness, and multiple reports have stated that he had sought professional help to deal with the adversity.

"I have not hired a sports psychologist," Newton said. "I have no idea where that came from. I have a strong support system in my teammates, coaches and family. My focus is on improving this week and getting ready to play Atlanta."

Newton will return to the place where he threw four touchdowns and ran for two more in a 56-17 rout of South Carolina two seasons ago in the SEC championship game, which was part of Auburn's BCS title season.

He had far less success in his first pro contest at the Georgia Dome, getting picked off three times in a 31-17 loss Oct. 16, 2011. Michael Turner ran for 139 yards and two scores to lead Atlanta.

The Falcons also won 31-23 on the road over Carolina (1-2) on Dec. 11 to extend their win streak in this series to four. Ryan had possibly the best game of his career with 320 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions while Newton threw for two scores but was intercepted twice.

Atlanta has seen Ryan play at a high level through three games in 2012, with three TD passes in a 27-3 victory at San Diego on Sunday. The lone negative came when his team record of 272 consecutive pass attempts without an interception ended in the fourth quarter, but that is the Falcons' only turnover of 2012.

"The confidence level across the board is probably higher than it's been," Ryan said. "That's not to say we haven't been confident in the past. We've had some good football teams in the past."

If there's any hope to slowing down a passing attack that features Tony Gonzalez, Roddy White and Julio Jones, it may come from Carolina coach Ron Rivera's prep work while watching the Falcons play the Chargers. Rivera was San Diego's defensive coordinator prior to joining the Panthers.

"When they were doing certain things on the defensive side for San Diego, I had a pretty good feel for what they were trying to do," Rivera said. "I saw some things that I saw success and I saw some things that weren't so successful."

The Falcons could be poised to turn this into another miserable afternoon for Newton, who posted two of his four worst passer ratings of 2011 against them.

Atlanta's revamped secondary features newcomer Asante Samuel joining fellow corner Dunta Robinson and safety Thomas DeCoud. The unit has produced a league-high seven interceptions - three by DeCoud - in new coordinator Mike Nolan's scheme.

Carolina could get three players back who missed the Giants contest. Rivera expects running back Jonathan Stewart, offensive tackle Byron Bell and linebacker Thomas Davis to play, with Bell and Davis returning to practice Monday.

The Panthers have dropped their last four visits to Atlanta.

"It is a divisional game, but the truth is, your biggest game is the one you are about to play," Rivera said. "(But) I guess as far as the record goes and being in our division, yes it means a lot, it is a big game."

The Falcons are dealing with a distraction following the arrest of top pass rusher John Abraham late Monday night. He refused requests to leave an area taped off by firefighters and police, with the arresting officer saying that the defensive end was "obviously intoxicated."

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

The Falcons are better top to bottom and if they don't underestimate the Panthers and their spread out offense, they've got this game settled. The Panthers do not have the answer for Matt Ryan.

This should be a blowout, but it is within the division. If Carolina is going to be competitive this year, they need this win.

There's really no reason for us to lose this game...Carolina's secondary simply has no answer for Roddy, Julio and Tony. If our defense plays like it did last week against the Chargers...it's gonna be a long day for $cam.

:Falcons: 35

:panthers: 17

Panthers have been struggling, while the Falcons have been cruising. The Falcons barely lose in the dome so I think they take this one pretty easily.

Panthers MLB Jon Beason (knee, shoulder) is active versus the Falcons in Week 4.

Beason isn't 100 percent, but he's going to give it a go in a key intra-division game. Captain Munnerlyn will handle punt return duties after rookie Joe Adams fumbled twice last week.

Panthers inactives: WR Joe Adams, QB Jimmy Clausen, OL Bruce Campbell, OL Mike Pollak, LB Antwan Applewhite, DL Frank Kearse and S D.J. Campbell.

Falcons declared FB Lousaka Polite, QB Dominique Davis, CB Chris Owens, RB Antone Smith, OT Lamar Holmes, TE Michael Palmer and DE Jonathan Massaquoi inactive for Week 4 versus the Panthers.

Jason Snelling will take over lead-blocking duties with Polite out. It remains a good matchup for Michael Turner.

The Panthers are struggling, but I hope they can at least give a rival a fight. With that said, I think Mike Nolan will do a fine job stopping the Panthers college level offense.

Panthers - 17

Falcons - 31

I think Cam Newton continues to struggle. The Falcons offense is playing amazing right now and the Panthers defense is horrible. The Falcons defense has played some great QBs and Mike Nolans defensive scheme has done a GREAT job in confusing them and forcing turnovers. I could see the same easily happening to Cam. The Panthers need to rely heavily on their running game to have a chance. I still see the Falcon winning big.

:Falcons: 34

:panthers: 17

Edited by dutchff7

I really wanna think Carolina has a shot but I just don't see it.

The Panthers have a rebound performance, but it's not enough to knock down the red-hot Falcons at home.

:panthers: 27

:Falcons: 35

• Upvote 1

Now that was a game. Great special teams at the end by Carolina, but Atlanta was just running with ice in their veins at the end. Having Sean McDerp as your DC hurts too though.

This game was close, as expected. Every single one of the Falcons' players and coaches knew that the Panthers were going to come out strong in a division game. They played great defense. I won't discount them one bit. The only spot I'll say was complete crap was the fact that Johnson had 5 sacks. That was ridiculous. Tyson Clabo has been playing like garbage since week 1. They need to find a guy to take his spot, Lamar Holmes?

At the end of the day, the Falcons prevailed because Cam Newton lit a fire under their asses by show boating and pointing at Matt Ryan on the Falcons' side line. He thought the game was a lock before the Falcons even ran out of time outs. Moron. Newton acting like that on the field led to this:

matty-ryan-9-30-12.gif

Matt Ryan - "Get the FUCK off my field!"

• Upvote 1

That's a bunch of baloney. Ryan threw the ball up for grabs and we had Namukara covering Roddy White deep because McDermott is a terrible defensive coordinator and proved it yet again. It had nothing to do with Ryan, (the last drive, that is), any QB with an arm can make a throw like that. And then even after that, McDermott has us playing soft defense, giving them almost a ten-yard cushion. So bad. If Douglas had a guy right on his tail on that last catch and that guy tackled him in-bounds, the ball-game would have been over. Defense was pretty mediocre, and then just flat out terrible on the last drive, not sure what game you were watching.

Pinning that game on Cam is just laughable to the point of absurdity.

Edited by Thanatos19

Tough loss for the Panthers but at least you guys get the Seahawks next game and we are on the road.

Edited by Sacks98

There was so much defensive fail on the part of Carolina during that final drive. Whoever was covering Roddy White over the top should have intercepted the ball but slowed down while backtracking and couldn't jump up and get it. And then, when Atlanta was trying to get closer for their FG attempt, Carolina's corners were playing soft like they were trying to stop a TD. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Wow. Panthers dominated us all day and Gamble shut down Young Julio. It was more than just constant pressure on Ryan it was unrelenting. Panthers front 4 was firing on all cylinders and I give props to them and their offense that kept our defense guessing.

No way is this in any way shape or form Cam Newton's fault. Blame an incoherent coordinator and absolutely horrendous mental awareness on that last drive by the Panthers defense. As a Falcons fan...I know what it's like to have dogshit coordinators, this year Koetter and Nolan have made an incredible difference..and they can ultimately change the outcome of a game with their play-calling ability and inability.

Might as well let Rivera run the Carolina D and show McDermott the door.

• Upvote 1

LOLMatt Ryan. Everybody knows he's a paper tiger. Just wait til Atlanta plays a real defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's a bunch of baloney. Ryan threw the ball up for grabs and we had Namukara covering Roddy White deep because McDermott is a terrible defensive coordinator and proved it yet again. It had nothing to do with Ryan, (the last drive, that is), any QB with an arm can make a throw like that. And then even after that, McDermott has us playing soft defense, giving them almost a ten-yard cushion. So bad. If Douglas had a guy right on his tail on that last catch and that guy tackled him in-bounds, the ball-game would have been over. Defense was pretty mediocre, and then just flat out terrible on the last drive, not sure what game you were watching.

Pinning that game on Cam is just laughable to the point of absurdity.

How was I pinning it on Cam? I wasn't. I was simply saying he was acting like a moron by show boating and it lit a fire under the Falcons' asses. However, I can pin it on Cam if I chose to, I mean he did turn a game sealing first down into a fumble that ended up going way of the Falcons.

No matter how you look at the game today, it doesn't matter. What's unique about the NFC South, and always has been is the fact that something drives their rivalries and makes these guys play hard. NFC South games always turn out to be close (Majority of the time). The Panthers have always been a stick in the side of the Falcons, and that's how it always will be. I don't see this as a "bad game", I see it as a W on the schedule and I love it.

Either way to others in here, to say Matt Ryan is going to flake is ridiculous. People say "Oh he had a down year last year", that's crap. He still threw for a 4100 yards, 29TD and 12 INT. He's done nothing but get better. He's thrown for 11 touchdowns in the first 4 games. I can understand people want to call for the Ryan Fitzpatrick effect, but I don't see it happening - it's a much more well-rounded offense than most teams have in the NFL. Ryan has proved that he has more zip on his throws this year, and he's even more accurate than he had been in the past. He's throwing down field, he's running the no-huddle better than almost anyone in the league right now. Yet, there are people here saying he's still a bad quarterback. I don't get it. That would be like me sitting here and saying Tony Romo is terrible, when we all know he's not.

Matt Ryan has had three flops in the playoffs, and the mistakes he made in those games can all be credited to poor communication amongst the team on the field and inexperience in a few situations. I don't see any haters changing their minds though, until like Aaron Rodgers, he gets a ring (Eventually he will get one) and has a ridiculous season (This year).

• Upvote 2

Chris D knows my thoughts exactly. The Matt Ryan Hate is absurd to say the least when he has gotten statistically better each year, also 3 playoff losses are not Matt Ryan's fault in the least. There's going to be no mercy for anyone.

Chris D knows my thoughts exactly. The Matt Ryan Hate is absurd to say the least when he has gotten statistically better each year, also 3 playoff losses are not Matt Ryan's fault in the least. There's going to be no mercy for anyone.

Not his fault at all?

"Hey y'all! We didn't even score a point in our playoff game last year!"

How was I pinning it on Cam? I wasn't. I was simply saying he was acting like a moron by show boating and it lit a fire under the Falcons' asses. However, I can pin it on Cam if I chose to, I mean he did turn a game sealing first down into a fumble that ended up going way of the Falcons.

No matter how you look at the game today, it doesn't matter. What's unique about the NFC South, and always has been is the fact that something drives their rivalries and makes these guys play hard. NFC South games always turn out to be close (Majority of the time). The Panthers have always been a stick in the side of the Falcons, and that's how it always will be. I don't see this as a "bad game", I see it as a W on the schedule and I love it.

You weren't really. I was slightly upset, having had some time to cool off, I see what you meant. The game should have been over, that's for damn sure. Pinning the other team at the 1 with less than a minute and they have no timeouts should *always* be a win. So much fail on Namukara's part not intercepting that pass, and then so much fail on McDermott playing soft defense as if you guys needed a TD.

This is just one of those things where if you told me before the game that the Panthers would play hard football and only lose by two, I'd be pretty surprised because I thought the Falcons would take control in the 4th or so. They played well, I just have a bitter taste because I really feel like we were the better team and just beat ourselves at the end.

By the way, I don't think you were implying this, but I was in no way downplaying Ryan's performance through the game, I was just saying that the last drive is far more about how poorly the defense played, rather than Ryan making great throws.

Ya.. Before that last drive started I thought the Panthers had it in the bag. Then Ryan throws a duck up to Roddy White and I face palmed for the entirety of the Panthers fan base. They played better than I ever thought they would, so I suppose there is a slight moral victory here.. Although it has to be a heart breaker.

Not his fault at all?

"Hey y'all! We didn't even score a point in our playoff game last year!"

There's a fine line between making a valid argument and acting like a 2 year old child. There are 10 other starters on offense, and numerous other role players that come in off the bench. Don't act like he was the only reason we didn't score. Your ignorance is hilarious at best, but your stupidity is classless at worst.