Vin

Vikings @ Lions

Second-year quarterback Christian Ponder has the Minnesota Vikings heading in the right direction and on the verge of matching their win total of last season.

To do so, they'll have to end a three-game losing streak to the Detroit Lions, who are optimistic that quarterback Matthew Stafford will be healthy enough to go Sunday at Ford Field.

Ponder is second in the NFL with a 70.1 completion percentage and fifth in passer rating at 104.9. He went 21 of 35 for 198 yards and two touchdowns in a 24-13 victory over previously undefeated San Francisco last week.

"The more plays I get, the more film I watch, it slows down and I just feel so much more comfortable in what I'm doing," said Ponder, who also ran for a score. "And it helps when the players around you are playing so well."

Adrian Peterson has made a remarkable recovery from a knee injury with 230 rushing yards, and wide receiver Percy Harvin has a league-high 27 receptions and is fourth in kickoff return average at 30.0 yards.

Though the Vikings (2-1) are third in the NFL with four rushing plays of 20-plus yards, they rank 29th with six completions of 20-plus yards. The season debut of speedster Jerome Simpson could help Minnesota start to stretch pass defenses.

Acquired in April, Simpson was suspended the first three games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

"We want to utilize his talents as soon as possible," coach Leslie Frazier said. "He's chomping at the bit to get out there and help us but we want to get him integrated right away."

A deep threat could cause plenty of problems for a Lions team that's allowing 31.3 points per game - sixth highest in the league. Detroit (1-2) surrendered 437 yards and a league-record five scoring plays of 60 or more yards - two on passes - in a 44-41 overtime loss to Tennessee last Sunday.

Cornerbacks Chris Houston and Bill Bentley returned last week after missing time with injuries, but it's uncertain when safety Louis Delmas will play after undergoing knee surgery last month. Plus, starting defensive tackle Corey Williams - a key run-stopper who might have played a big role against Peterson - had knee surgery this week that rules him out for Sunday.

"It's a big-time loss," defensive tackle Nick Fairley said.

Stafford was replaced by Shaun Hill in the fourth quarter last Sunday after suffering a leg injury while chasing a Tennessee defender on a 72-yard fumble return for a touchdown. However, he appeared healthy enough to play this week during practice, barring a surprising setback.

"I feel better than I did yesterday," Stafford said Thursday. "We'll see how it goes. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it."

Hill went 10 for 13 for 172 yards last week, throwing TD passes to Calvin Johnson and Titus Young in the final 18 seconds of regulation.

Whoever starts under center will face a Vikings team giving up 19.7 points per game, ninth lowest in the league.

Slowing down Johnson, the league leader with 369 receiving yards, will be a priority. However, the Vikings will also have to pay attention to running back Mikel LeShoure.

Making his NFL debut after missing last season with an Achilles' injury and the first two games of 2012 for violating the league's substance abuse policy, LeShoure ran for 100 yards last Sunday, including a one-yard TD.

The Lions' 11 rushing first downs were their most since Nov. 25, 2010.

Detroit totaled two rushing first downs and 92 yards on the ground last season while sweeping this NFC North series for the first time since 1997.

Stafford threw for 605 yards and four TDs in those contests - two to Johnson - while Ponder's only appearance came in a 34-28 loss at Ford Field on Dec. 11.

He was replaced by Joe Webb in the third quarter of that game after getting intercepted three times and losing a fumble on the Vikings' first offensive play of the game.

Detroit, which last dropped three straight during a five-game slide Nov. 7-Dec. 5, 2010, has won two in a row at home versus Minnesota after losing seven of eight. The Lions haven't won four in a row in this series since a five-game run Nov. 19, 1961-Oct. 27, 1963.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

This comes down to the Vikings secondary. If they play well enough, Minnesota should win, but if they get torched, Detroit could take off on them. It's just one of those games where one team wins if they control the clock, the other wins if they get out ahead early.

Should be a close game. The Vikings have surprised a lot of people and have played pretty well so far this season. I think Ponder keeps up his good play against a garbage Lions secondary, but I think Stafford out throws him and the Lions win in a close one.

If the Vikings were at home I would have taken them Hopefully Stafford gets hit shit togetherfor the sake of my one fantasy team though.

I think Ponder continues to play well. I've liked Ponder since last season and saw he had potential to be able to play in this league. Peterson always destroys the Lions too... but idk, I think the Lions score a few more points.

:Lions: 30

:Vikings: 24

I like the Vikings here so I bet they disappoint.

Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph (thigh) is active, as expected, for Week 4 versus the Lions.

Rudolph practiced fully on Friday and has a tasty matchup against a defense that has surrendered 15 receptions, 220 yards and three scores to tight ends the past two weeks.

Vikings inactives: LB Erin Henderson, WR Jarius Wright, WR Stephen Burton, S Andrew Sendejo, S Mistral Raymond, C Mark Asper and QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson.

Lions RB Mikel Leshoure (groin), QB Matthew Stafford (hip) and TE Tony Scheffler (calf) are active in Week 4 versus the Vikings, as expected.

All three players were fully expected to start after practicing Thursday and Friday. Scheffler's presence will likely mean fewer snaps for Titus Young. Safety Ricardo Silva, activated from the practice squad on Saturday, will start over John Wendling.

Lions inactives: QB Kellen Moore, S Louis Delmas, S Amari Spievey, LB Travis Lewis, OT Jason Fox, OT Corey Hilliard and DT Corey Williams.

Ponder should continue his domination... I am still not sold on the Lions, so give this one to Minny!

Minnesota - 24

Lions - 21

The Vikings keep it close for a bit by running all over Detroit's defense, but Minnesota's secondary proves to be just what the doctor ordered for Matthew Stafford.

:Vikings: 31

:Lions: 45

Lions Special Teams... =/

More like straight up Lions regression. If you didn't see the Lions taking a step back, you be crazy!

I am shocked that Minnesota's defense is playing so well.

Are the Vikings legit?

This is the defense that turned to warm butter against a rookie in Andrew Luck. I won't be sold on them for quite some time. If they keep Detroit from making a serious comeback bid, I might give them some props.

Believe me, I had the Lions regressing this year. I was one of their biggest haters last season.

With that being said, I still had them around a .500 team, while I had the Vikings as one of the worst teams in the league. They have SHOCKED me.

I said all offseason that the Vikings would be better than people thought. Everybody who only knew the Vikings record with Ponder starting at QB last year thought he was garbage. Those of us that actually watched him knew that we saw a very promising young quarterback.

Watch Ponder tear up the Broncos last year... Yeah he's legit, right now he's a top 5 QB in efficiency. Also Percy Harvin is tearing shit up as well. The Vikings are so sick right now.

Vikings D, I'm sold on them.

The Minnesota Vikings sit atop of the NFC North 4 weeks into the season. Holy shit. Who would have EVER thought that? I LOVE the NFL.

• Upvote 2

The Minnesota Vikings sit atop of the NFC North 4 weeks into the season. Holy shit. Who would have EVER thought that? I LOVE the NFL.

:yeahthat:

:rock:

Vikings D, I'm sold on them.

As long as our two young safeties keep playing well (and hopefully learn how to make it easier for them to get INTs (Stafford threw a bunch of bad passes today. Harrison Smith could have had three picks), this defense should be OK.

Very pleased to see the defense play lights out for the second straight week. The offense left quite a bit to be desired besides AP who looked the best he has since the injury. Feels good to match last years total of wins in the fourth week.

Its the same thing every week. Dropped passes, missed tackles, awful starts, penalties.

To be fair to Minnesota, they laid some hits that jarred quite a few balls loose.

I'm going to question Scott Linehan. Leshoure may not have lit up Minnesota, but he did look pretty good. Run the damn ball. Make Minnesota stack the box now and then, then throw the ball. The same thing is going on in Green Bay. They aren't running enough to offset what the defense is doing to stop their passing game.

Detroit's D looked really good except for the PI penalties and not being able to tackle AP. They were there a lot at the point of attack. Peterson just trashed them.

The problem in Detroit is obviously special teams coverage, though. Shore that up and they might even win convincingly these last two weeks. Return TDs take the air out of the victimized team for at least 5 minutes. Detroit just couldn't mount a comeback to Minnesota's two returns.