Vin

Eagles @ Steelers

As fortunate as they may have seemed at the time, it's hard to argue with the Philadelphia Eagles' results so far.

The Pittsburgh Steelers would be happy to settle for winning ugly.

The Steelers should get Troy Polamalu, James Harrison and Rashard Mendenhall back as they look to avoid falling in a 1-3 hole Sunday against the visiting Eagles.

Philadelphia (3-1) has been outscored by 17 points through four games, but it has a pair of one-point wins and a two-point victory to thank for its winning record. It's trailed at the two-minute warning of the fourth quarter in all three wins.

The Steelers, meanwhile, have blown fourth-quarter leads in both of their defeats, watching a 10-point cushion disappear in a 34-31 overtime loss in Oakland on Sept. 23 before a bye week.

"There's no panic in here," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "It's still a marathon, but we need to get a win."

They'll have some help Sunday as they try to avoid falling to 1-3 for the first time since 2006 - their last non-winning season. Polamalu, who's missed the last two games with a strained calf, and Harrison, who's yet to play due to a lingering left knee problem, are expected to return to a defense that's produced five sacks and allowed opponents to convert 48.5 percent of third downs - both among the league's four worst.

Having two former Defensive Players of the Year back should help, but to safety Ryan Clark, their additions mean little if the defense can't produce.

"I think it's more pressure, honestly," Clark said. "No more excuses."

The Steelers have surrendered an average of 31.3 points in losing three straight on the road dating to their playoff loss in Denver, but being home should help. Pittsburgh has allowed just 9.3 points per game in winning nine of its last 10 at Heinz Field.

It'll see an Eagles offense that's fifth in the league in total yards (417.8 per game) but 30th in scoring (16.5). A staggering 12 turnovers were the biggest culprit in the unit's struggles through three weeks, but Philadelphia didn't give it away once in last Sunday night's 19-17 win over the Giants.

Still, it only survived after New York's Lawrence Tynes missed a 54-yard field goal in the waning seconds.

"I'd like to keep winning. I'd like to keep winning by more than one or two points. I'd like that, but I like winning," coach Andy Reid said Monday. "I honestly don't feel like we've come close to playing our best football yet."

Michael Vick was much better against the Giants after throwing six interceptions and fumbling five times in his opening three games. He also made a difference with his legs, scrambling six times for a season-high 49 yards.

"I just played smarter," said Vick, who's been knocked down 44 times - 18 more than the next-most for a quarterback. "The thing is in this game you can't force opportunities against the defense, you have to let it come.

"I'll be honest, missing the preseason did affect me to a certain extent, but now I'm getting into my groove and seeing the field a little better. The guys around me are helping me and that's important."

Vick suffered a knee contusion late in last weekend's game but is expected to be at full strength Sunday.

There's also a chance left tackle King Dunlap (hamstring) could return, though perhaps not at his original position. He took some snaps at right guard in practice Wednesday with Danny Watkins out, a sign the Eagles are pleased with Demetress Bell's job filling in for Dunlap.

Philadelphia's defense allows 6.16 yards per pass attempt - only San Francisco and Houston are better - but the Steelers should provide a formidable threat. Roethlisberger is the NFL's second highest-rated passer (109.2) and has thrown eight touchdowns to one interception.

He's been sacked nine times, though that seems like nothing compared to the last time he faced the Eagles. Philadelphia brought him down eight times in that 15-6 win Sept. 21, 2008.

"He's a big guy. You can't tackle him low. You've got to tackle him high," said defensive end Trent Cole, who had one of those sacks. "That's going to be one of our keys to getting him down."

The Steelers are 16-19 in the regular season when Roethlisberger is sacked four times or more, and 65-17 when he goes down three times or less.

Being able to hand the ball to Mendenhall could be big for Roethlisberger. The Steelers are averaging a league-low 2.6 yards per carry without the former first-round pick, who has missed the first three games after tearing his ACL in January.

Roethlisberger is 13-1 in home games against NFC opponents.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Eagles gonna upset.

Edited by Vin

The Steelers plan to rotate James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley in and out of Sunday's game against the Eagles.

The Steelers want to keep their OLBs fresh after blowing a 10-point fourth quarter lead against the Raiders in Week 3. Chris Carter will rotate in for Harrison, and Jason Worilds will come on for Woodley.

Source: Ed Bouchette on Twitter

Gonna be a good game. I like the Steelers in this one though. They are coming off a bye and have some key players coming back from injury.

Steelers should be able to handle the Eagles, a few too many INT's are gonna happen for sure.

The Steelers are a desperate team right now. They have some of their stars back now and they're going to be tough to beat in a must win game for them.

Interesting note, the Eagles are 10-1 in games where McCoy gets 20 or more carries. The Eagles can win but I just think the Steelers pull it out.

The Steelers are a desperate team right now. They have some of their stars back now and they're going to be tough to beat in a must win game for them.

Interesting note, the Eagles are 10-1 in games where McCoy gets 20 or more carries. The Eagles can win but I just think the Steelers pull it out.

Yeah, I feel the same way. This is a team I know we can beat but I think we may come out on the losing side of this one. I still have like 17 hours to finalize my verdict.

I like the Steelers at home.

:Steelers: 28

:Eagles: 23

Edited by Barracuda

Interesting note, the Eagles are 10-1 in games where McCoy gets 20 or more carries.

If only Andy knew that!

:Steelers: @ home. Steelers are 4-1 after byes under Mikey T.

• Upvote 1

Both these teams, I just don't really know what to think. We have seen good, we have seen bad. The Eagles win games even when they look absolutely terrible. Not sure if that is more a defining feature of their squad or the teams they beat...

Steelers have been up and down, but have been missing some of their most talented players. Ben seems to be getting into a rhythm as well...

The Steelers just don't seem like a team that is going to be nearly as forgiving on the turnovers that the Eagles are prone to.

Steelers - 24

Eagles - 17

Yeah, I feel the same way. This is a team I know we can beat but I think we may come out on the losing side of this one. I still have like 17 hours to finalize my verdict.

Going to ride with my boys on this one. This should make for a great match up. So many match ups that I like in this game. First off, our CBs Nnamdi and DRC vs their WRs Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace. Two top quality WRs. Going to be fun watching that. Not to mention our defense have held opposing QBs to a 65.6 passing rater and Big Ben is quietly on fire this season. Also, our defense is the 3rd best defense in getting offenses off the field on 3rd down (27%)and the Steelers are #1 in the league on 3rd down conversion %(56%). Big Ben being able to keep the play alive helps them big in this area. Our pass rush is going to have to hit home hard against Big Ben. We may not have the high sack numbers but we still have been getting immense pressure and ranked 2nd in pass rush on PFF.

If Vick can limit turnovers and we have a balanced attack with a NICE dose of McCoy, we have this. I have a feeling if we do turn the ball over the Steelers will make us pay. I'm glad Polamalu and Harrison are back. Don't like going against a team without it's main starters. This should make for a great game!

:Eagles: 26

:Steelers: 24

Edited by dutchff7

Steelers declared RB Jonathan Dwyer, QB Charlie Batch, FS Robert Golden, LB Adrian Robinson, OG Kelvin Beachum, LB Brandon Johnson and NT Alameda Ta'amu inactive for Week 5 versus the Eagles.

Dwyer had the bye week to rest his turf toe injury. He's essentially a healthy scratch with Rashard Mendenhall returning to lead a committee with third-down back Isaac Redman and package player Chris Rainey. Mendenhall is a shaky fantasy play versus an Eagles defense that has allowed just one rushing touchdown this year.

Eagles RB Dion Lewis is active for the first time this season at Pittsburgh in Week 5.

Bryce Brown is also active, clouding the "handcuff" picture behind LeSean McCoy. Despite speculation to the contrary, WR Mardy Gilyard is active over Riley Cooper.

The rest of the Eagles inactives: RB Chris Polk, QB Trent Edwards, LB Akeem Jordan, OL Steve Vallos, DE Vinny Curry, and OL Nate Menkin.

LOLMICHAELVICK

Just fumbled on the Steelers 1 yard line and they recovered it in the endzone so it's a touchback for the Steelers.

As shitty as we've played the Steelers have been shittier.

So hard to keep McCoy out of the endzone.

LeSean McCoy is the best RB in the game but Vick might be the worst starting QB in the league right now. Eagles have to put more points on the board. This is pretty pathetic. Mornhinweg should probably go too.

Oh thank God,we won..We have to start finishing our drives with touchdowns or every single game is going to be so hard to watch..

This was a close game and hats off to the Steelers. They played a great defensive game and Big Ben put together some great drives.

I'm a Vick fan but I'm an Eagle fan more... Vick is holding us back with the continuous turnovers. Another turnover short and goal that would have been a TD... Then Vick fumbles again on the next possession... I'm getting tired of all the turnovers. Vick has 11 turnovers in 5 games. Our wins are because our defense has been carrying him (expect the Giants game). Our defense prevented the Steelers from capitalizing off their turnovers with 3 and outs allowing no points. Mendenhall had a nice game against us though along with Antonio Brown (working Nnamdi). Hats off to Steelers defense doing a good job against McCoy in the run game. They had a pretty nice pass rush against us but who doesn't with our O-line injuries (Jason Peters and Jason Kelce). You can't lose the turnover battle against good teams and expect to win.

I honestly can't see us as serious contenders as long as Vick continues to turn the ball over. Vick has his upsides with potential but his downs are way more impactful. He's not progressing at all. He's not getting better and this is a serious issue. If we fall another game due to his turnovers, I'm going to be calling for Foles. Yes Foles is a rookie and ppl will say Vick is our best chance to win which may very well be the case, but we AREN'T going to be serious contenders anyway if Vick keeps up the turnovers. This is having me curious to see what our rookie can do and get his feet wet. Unless Foles is turning the ball over at least twice a game then I don't see how he could be doing much worse then Vick at this point. I'm almost through with Vick. This loss can't be blamed on anyone else. Tired of hearing the lame repetitive excuses about the SAME mistakes. But one excuse he gave during the post game conference had me LIVID. Talking about turnovers and Vick said "Everything happens for a reason".... wtf?? :temper: What fucking reason was there for you to fumble the football?? :disgust:

Reid needs to take a note out of Belichecks book; If you keep putting the ball on the turf, you don't play. That should apply to everyone especially if your ball club is losing because of it.

Edited by dutchff7

This was a close game and hats off to the Steelers. They played a great defensive game and Big Ben put together some great drives.

I'm a Vick fan but I'm an Eagle fan more... Vick is holding us back with the continuous turnovers. Another turnover short and goal that would have been a TD... Then Vick fumbles again on the next possession... I'm getting tired of all the turnovers. Vick has 11 turnovers in 5 games. Our wins are because our defense has been carrying him (expect the Giants game). Our defense prevented the Steelers from capitalizing off their turnovers with 3 and outs allowing no points. Mendenhall had a nice game against us though along with Antonio Brown (working Nnamdi). Hats off to Steelers defense doing a good job against McCoy in the run game. They had a pretty nice pass rush against us but who doesn't with our O-line injuries (Jason Peters and Jason Kelce). You can't lose the turnover battle against good teams and expect to win.

I honestly can't see us as serious contenders as long as Vick continues to turn the ball over. Vick has his upsides with potential but his downs are way more impactful. He's not progressing at all. He's not getting better and this is a serious issue. If we fall another game due to his turnovers, I'm going to be calling for Foles. Yes Foles is a rookie and ppl will say Vick is our best chance to win which may very well be the case, but we AREN'T going to be serious contenders anyway if Vick keeps up the turnovers. This is having me curious to see what our rookie can do and get his feet wet. Unless Foles is turning the ball over at least twice a game then I don't see how he could be doing much worse then Vick at this point. I'm almost through with Vick. This loss can't be blamed on anyone else. Tired of hearing the lame repetitive excuses about the SAME mistakes. But one excuse he gave during the post game conference had me LIVID. Talking about turnovers and Vick said "Everything happens for a reason".... wtf?? :temper: What fucking reason was there for you to fumble the football?? :disgust:

Reid needs to take a note out of Belichecks book; If you keep putting the ball on the turf, you don't play. That should apply to everyone especially if your ball club is losing because of it.

Start Nick Foles and Vick will stop turning the ball over..Simple as that..

This was a frustrating loss with the fumbles by Vick, especially that back-breaker in the end zone that turned a potential touchdown into a touchback, but the Steelers earned a victory in the second half, plain and simple. Overall I'm not going to gripe too much. At least Andy Reid finally realized how fucking good LeSean McCoy can be when you lean on him to carry your offense.

We get the Lions at home next week before our bye week, which is a pretty big game, IMO. Not a must-win, but heading into the bye at 4-2 is a lot better than 3-3.

In the meantime, good game, Steelers fans. :yep:

This was a frustrating loss with the fumbles by Vick, especially that back-breaker in the end zone that turned a potential touchdown into a touchback, but the Steelers earned a victory in the second half, plain and simple. Overall I'm not going to gripe too much. At least Andy Reid finally realized how fucking good LeSean McCoy can be when you lean on him to carry your offense.

We get the Lions at home next week before our bye week, which is a pretty big game, IMO. Not a must-win, but heading into the bye at 4-2 is a lot better than 3-3.

In the meantime, good game, Steelers fans. :yep:

In my opinion, you guys need to keep Vick in there and see if y'all can mesh like NYG did last year near the end. They started off extremely unimpressive, too. If you guys come together and maintain the McCoy heavy offense, you will be contenders. If not, and this is another disappointing year, then start over without AR and with Nick Foles at QB.

Steelers OLB James Harrison returned from his knee injury in Week 5 to play 57-of-57 defensive snaps against the Eagles.

The Steelers were expected to rotate Harrison with Chris Carter, but opted to ride the hot hand, particularly with LaMarr Woodley coming up lame with a hamstring injury. Harrison managed just two tackles, but should improve as a pass-rushing threat as he gets his legs back. The game was his 2012 debut.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed that Rashard Mendenhall (knee) emerged from his 2012 debut with no setbacks.

Mendenhall was incredibly sharp in his first game since an ACL tear, picking up 101 total yards and a touchdown on 16 touches. "The savior is back," Ben Roethlisberger said afterward. As Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles have shown, running backs coming off knee reconstructions aren't necessarily limited a week after big workloads. Locked in as the feature back, Mendenhall's snaps and touches only figure to rise as the season moves along.

Source: Mike Bires on Twitter

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed OLB LaMarr Woodley's hamstring injury is "mild," but hinted he's unlikely to suit up for Thursday's game.

The Steelers aren't ruling Woodley out for Week 6, but the short week looks like it will kill any chance he has of not missing time. Jason Worilds will likely see increased snaps against the Titans. Woodley should be ready for Pittsburgh's Week 7 trip to Cincinnati.

Coach Mike Tomlin said SS Troy Polamalu (calf) will not play in Thursday's game against the Titans.

Polamalu's latest aggravation of his troublesome right calf injury has the Steelers concerned. It's been an issue since the end of last season and he's now pulled it twice in a month. Ryan Mundy should be prepared for an extended stay in the starting lineup, robbing the Steelers of Polamalu's difference-making ability.