Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Packers @ Texans

Although the Houston Texans are one of the NFL's two remaining unbeatens, there's suddenly a feeling of concern for Gary Kubiak's team.

Their problem, however, doesn't appear as troubling as what the Green Bay Packers are experiencing.

Following a season-ending injury to All-Pro linebacker Brian Cushing, the Texans look to regroup Sunday night when they host a Packers team coming off yet another discouraging performance in a stunning defeat.

Houston (5-0) is off to the best start in franchise history and has already begun to separate itself from the pack in the AFC South. Its path to the playoffs, however, took a major hit in Monday night's 23-17 win over the New York Jets, as Cushing suffered a torn left knee ligament on a low block by guard Matt Slauson.

"A big blow for our team," Kubiak said. "We have to have guys pick it up around him and we've got to find a way to move forward."

Cushing has a team-high 29 tackles and has led the Texas in that department in two of three seasons since being named the Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2009. He is also the emotional leader on a defense that ranks third in total yards allowed with 275.6 per game and fourth in scoring at 14.6 points.

Kubiak says Tim Dobbins, who moved into Cushing's spot Monday and finished with four tackles and a pass deflection, is "option No. 1" to replace Cushing in the lineup.

"It's a challenge for our team, that's what this is," Kubiak said. "We know Dobbins is going to go in there and play well, and every player in our locker room is going to take on a little bit more responsibility."

J.J. Watt is one player who is expected to help shoulder the load. He has eight pass deflections and 7 1/2 sacks, one-half less than league leader Clay Matthews of Green Bay.

Matthews, who played with Cushing at Southern California, came to the defense of his former teammate by calling out the NFL via Twitter for not protecting defensive players the same as it does for those on offense.

The Packers (2-3) also have plenty of injuries to overcome, one of several problems they face as they sit two games back of Chicago and Minnesota in the NFC North.

Green Bay seemed poised to move over .500 last Sunday, leading Indianapolis 21-3 at halftime. The offense then stalled, the defense couldn't stop the Colts and the usually reliable Mason Crosby missed a 51-yard field goal with 3 seconds to play in a 30-27 loss. It was the first time the Packers blew an 18-point halftime lead since 1957.

"We've got to win the next one. We've put ourselves in a hole," safety Charles Woodson said. "The only thing you can hang your hat on is that it's still early in the season and you've got a long way to go."

Running back Cedric Benson (sprained foot) was placed on injured reserve Wednesday, while tight end Jermichael Finley (shoulder) and defensive tackle B.J. Raji (sprained ankle) "have a chance" to play, according to coach Mike McCarthy. The status of Pro Bowl wide receiver Greg Jennings (groin) is uncertain.

While the injuries haven't helped Green Bay's situation, its offense is still not clicking like most expected.

After averaging 35.0 points last season, the fifth-highest total in NFL history, the Packers are averaging 22.4. Aaron Rodgers, who set a single-season record with a 122.5 quarterback rating in 2011, has already thrown four interceptions after being picked off six times in 502 attempts a year ago.

Benson, coming off three straight 1,000-yard seasons with Cincinnati, has been ineffective, averaging 49.6 yards. He must sit out eight games before he can return, and McCarthy says the Packers are "optimistic" Benson will be able to play in the last four weeks of the season.

"We're a focused football team; we're just not playing to the level that we want to play at right now," McCarthy said. "That's what we have to stay focused on. We have to stay focused on our habits, our discipline, our preparation, the process leading up to Sunday night."

Green Bay, which has allowed 57 points and 938 yards in its last two games, will likely have its hands full facing a balanced Houston offense.

Arian Foster is second in the league with 532 rushing yards, and by netting 168 total yards Monday, he amassed 5,000 scrimmage yards in his 40th NFL game, the third-fastest in league history.

Andre Johnson has caught just 17 passes for 283 yards, and with defenses focusing on stopping the five-time Pro Bowl receiver, Owen Daniels has often been left open for Matt Schaub. Daniels is third among tight ends with 311 receiving yards and leads the Texans with three touchdown receptions.

Schaub threw for 414 yards, the third-highest total of his career, as Houston won 24-21 in Green Bay on Dec. 7, 2008, in the last meeting between these teams.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Poor Packers.

Edited by Vin

Gonna be a blood bath. Obviously no Benson.. Jennings has been rules out yet again. Our #1 and #2 TEs are questionable. Raji is questionable.

Like.. Oh man. I am going to have a head ache. lmao

Lol

This could either be a good game if A Rod steps up OR this could be an onslaught going in the Texans favor.

Sorry but I like how they say Cedric Benson was ineffective.

Maybe that's because our offense revolved around the passing game instead of balancing out like it should have. Benson was raping the Colts in the first half before his injury and our calls were about 50/50.

I hope it's a close game. It's SNF and I don't want to end the weekend on a shitty note.

I think the Packers will respond well. I have the Texans winning a close one but if the Packers can come out with a consistent offense they can pull off the dub.

24-17 Texans

Sorry but I like how they say Cedric Benson was ineffective.

Maybe that's because our offense revolved around the passing game instead of balancing out like it should have. Benson was raping the Colts in the first half before his injury and our calls were about 50/50.

I hope it's a close game. It's SNF and I don't want to end the weekend on a shitty note.

Ya, anyone who says Cedric Benson was ineffective knows nothing. You can't just look at the stats, which I am sure is what they did. Not 3.5 yards per carry isn't impressive, however those 3.5 yards were extremely effective. Benson changed the way defenses came at us, and we were most effective on drives that he was heavily involved.

I have a feeling the Packers take this one. Looking at Houston's schedule, wins over the Dolphins, Jaguars, and Titans are unimpressive, and we all saw how close the Jets came to beating them last week. The Packers, meanwhile, are in backs-against-the-wall mode. I'll take Green Bay, running game be damned.

I made this pic to sum up my feelings about this game.

3rbto6.jpg

• Downvote 1

Raji being out is a huge loss for the Packers, I think Rodgers won't let them lose though.

:Packers: 33

:Texans: 24

Edited by BradyFan81

Green Bay's defense can still cause turnovers. Arian Foster has a history of fumbling issues, and with no Ben Tate he'll get even more carries than usual. Schaub isn't a TO machine, by any means, but there's no reason to think the Packers secondary can't nag one on him.

If the Pack can get some turnovers without relinquishing a few of their own, they'll have a good chance in this game. I'm taking the Pack.

:Packers: 34

:Texans: 24

Texans declared LB Barrett Ruud, CB Roc Carmichael, CB Brandon Harris, SS Quintin Demps, OT Andrew Gardner, OG Cody White and OG Brandon Brooks inactive for Week 6 against the Packers.

Ruud was signed Wednesday to take ILB Brian Cushing's (torn ACL) roster spot, but apparently isn't up-to-date enough on the playbook. Tim Dobbins will start in Cushing's place. Second-year WR Lestar Jean (knee surgery) is back following a two-week absence.

Jermichael Finley (shoulder) is active for Week 6 against the Texans.

B.J. Raji (ankle) is inactive, as is Greg Jennings.

Finley got in just one limited practice during the week, but it's doubtful he'd be active if the Packers weren't planning to use him for close to his usual complement of snaps. He's Rotoworld's No. 18 tight end for Week 6.

Also inactive for the Packers are S Sean Richardson, CB Davon House, LB Terrell Manning, G Greg Van Roten and TE D.J. Williams

thank goodness... Dont forget though... We gave up 30 points in the 2nd half to a much worse team last week

TD Crabtree!

lolTexans. Wow, looks like the Falcons will be the last unbeaten team unless the Texans pull off a miracle.

Welp. I had a feeling this would happen. I like the Texans, and I do believe they're a good team. However, I never fully bought the "Best in the League" hype. I felt like they were padding their schedule by beating up on bad teams, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Comparing their performance last week against the Jets to that of the Niners the week before only deepened my doubts.

Here we had the first true test the Texans faced, and they failed miserably. If they truly are the #1 overall team they should be able to at least COMPETE at home against anyone. I'm not going to start calling them frauds and pretenders quite yet, but they do have a few more strong teams coming up, and if this isn't just a hiccup and they really have been bum hunting their way to the top we might see the Texans start to slide.

Green Bay is a much better team than what their record and games so far this season show. They'll improve as the season goes on, and I also believe this season will be a lot like their 2010 season where they won't have a spectacular season but they'll grind it out and get into the playoffs and then try and play their cards right.

Welp. I had a feeling this would happen. I like the Texans, and I do believe they're a good team. However, I never fully bought the "Best in the League" hype. I felt like they were padding their schedule by beating up on bad teams, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Comparing their performance last week against the Jets to that of the Niners the week before only deepened my doubts.

Here we had the first true test the Texans faced, and they failed miserably. If they truly are the #1 overall team they should be able to at least COMPETE at home against anyone. I'm not going to start calling them frauds and pretenders quite yet, but they do have a few more strong teams coming up, and if this isn't just a hiccup and they really have been bum hunting their way to the top we might see the Texans start to slide.

The Broncos weren't a true test?

It's going to be fun to see how Bware justifies putting four teams ahead of the last remaining unbeaten team, since he arbitrarily decided they weren't moving past #5 before the season started. :p

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

I have a feeling the Packers take this one. Looking at Houston's schedule, wins over the Dolphins, Jaguars, and Titans are unimpressive, and we all saw how close the Jets came to beating them last week. The Packers, meanwhile, are in backs-against-the-wall mode. I'll take Green Bay, running game be damned.

:yep:

• Upvote 2

The Broncos weren't a true test?

It's going to be fun to see how Bware justifies putting four teams ahead of the last remaining unbeaten team, since he arbitrarily decided they weren't moving past #5 before the season started. :p

Agree with you completely Thanatos lol

However, I can tell you right now that Bware will give Matt Ryans "Jay Cutler" impression the reason that they will be back so far.

Texans and Falcons exposed in the same week? Time to rethink our rankings.

NYG going up top for this guy this week.

Surprised we won.

This was our first week of complete football this year. Hopefully this trend continues but without the injuries.

Gonna be a blood bath. Obviously no Benson.. Jennings has been rules out yet again. Our #1 and #2 TEs are questionable. Raji is questionable.

Like.. Oh man. I am going to have a head ache. lmao

I made this pic to sum up my feelings about this game.

3rbto6.jpg

:yao:

I am, truly honestly, a bit surprised that we played our best offensive and defensive game of the year against the best offense and defense we have played and will play this year. I don't get it... We are capable of doing that to every team... But just don't.

Who knows.