ATL_Predator

Falcons @ Eagles

The Philadelphia Eagles are hoping their bye week served as the antidote to a multitude of problems.

The Atlanta Falcons also hoped to shore up a few issues during their off-week, but as the league's only unbeaten, their problems don't appear as glaring.

The struggling Eagles try to get their season back on track Sunday, but it likely won't be easy as they host the Falcons.

Under Andy Reid, Philadelphia is 13-0 in games immediately following a bye week, the longest such streak since the bye was introduced in 1990. But few of those idle weeks were as tumultuous as this one.

Reid fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo on Oct. 16, two days after the Eagles (3-3) squandered a 10-point lead in the final 3:32 of a 26-23 overtime loss to Detroit. That came a week after a last-second loss to Pittsburgh.

Secondary coach Todd Bowles has since been promoted to Castillo's old post. He will try to improve a defense that has forced just two turnovers while going 1/3 in the last four games and has seven total sacks, tied for the league's second-fewest.

"He relates to us well and we all like him as a coach, and off the field he is a great guy," Eagles safety Nate Allen said of Bowles, who played safety for seven NFL seasons. "He's smart so it's going to be a good thing. He talks to us like men. He's not real up in your face. He's not a loud guy. He expects you to know what you have to do as a man and as a professional."

The Eagles have the unenviable task of containing quarterback Matt Ryan, who is fourth in the NFL with a 98.8 QB rating and ranks sixth in passing with an average of 292.7 yards.

Philadelphia is fully aware of Ryan abilities. He tied a career high with four touchdown passes in a 35-31 victory over the Eagles last year, Atlanta's only win in the last five meetings.

Ryan, though, wasn't particularly sharp in the Falcons' last game, throwing three interceptions -- doubling his season total -- in a 23-30 home win over Oakland on Oct. 14. The run game also struggled mightily, as Michael Turner finished with 33 yards on 11 carries.

Matt Bryant ended up connecting on a 55-yard field goal with one second remaining to help the Falcons (6-0) extended the best start in franchise history. Still, Mike Smith sees room for improvement.

"We've got to be consistent in everything we do," Smith said. "We haven't run the ball consistently, and we're not stopping the run. Those two things stand out the most."

Smith, who is tied with Dan Reeves for the franchise's most wins with 49, doesn't anticipate Bowles implementing any drastic changes.

"Most of it is about us. We've got to go out, and we have to execute," Smith told the team's official website. "We've got to be prepared for some unscouted looks, and I don't think there will be a mass change in what they do philosophically because they've invested so much time into the scheme that they're running."

Michael Vick didn't have the most pleasant of returns to Atlanta in last year's meeting, as a concussion knocked him out of the game in the third quarter.

The four-time Pro Bowler is off to a sluggish start to this season with eight touchdowns, eight interceptions and five fumbles, and Reid could make a switch to rookie backup Nick Foles if Vick continues giving the ball away.

"Just protect the ball," Vick said. "It's not hard. It's not a science to it; just protect the football at all times. Despite the circumstances, I still sit back there and try to make the plays that I know I can make and that's just me and my confidence in myself and confidence in the guys."

The turnover-prone Vick will have to be especially careful against a Falcons defense that ranks fourth in the NFL with 17 takeaways. Cornerback Asante Samuel, traded from Philadelphia in the offseason, has one of Atlanta's 10 interceptions.

Vick isn't entirely to blame, though, as an injury-depleted offensive line has struggled mightily.

The banged-up line has also made things tough on LeSean McCoy, who has totaled 75 yards on 30 carries in the last two games. He had 95 rushing yards and two touchdowns against the Falcons last season, and Atlanta has been susceptible against the run this year, allowing an average of 143.8 yards per game.

Should be a great game as usual, always enjoy watching us against the Eagles. As long as we do our best to efficiently shut down McCoy and force Vick to win the game with his arm, I think we'll be good. Reid's 13 game win streak off the bye should end this weekend.

Should be a good game. I think the Falcons undefeated streak comes to an end on Sunday though. The Eagles never lose after the bye week, and the Falcons haven't been playing great football lately. Both teams had a bye to prepare for this game and I think the Eagles will pull out the win here.

Game of the week, IMO. The Falcons are the league's only unbeaten team, but they're coming off their worst performance of the year--which was at home. Now they've got to go on the road.

The Eagles, meanwhile, seem to be in turmoil with the firing of Juan Castillo, but Andy Reid is 13-0 after bye weeks. Is this the year that streak finally comes to an end?

Should be a great football game. If the Eagles can play turnover-free football and hang with the Falcons for four quarters, I'll be satisfied, regardless of outcome.

Edge = Falcons.

If your team is not playing at 1 PM you should be watching this game.

:Falcons: 24

:Eagles: 27

That's right.

• Upvote 1

If your team is not playing at 1 PM you should be watching this game.

:rock:

I firmly believe the Eagles are a very talented team. A team capable of winning that division and making a run in the playoffs. They are just so inconsistent though.... And they LOVE to turn the football over. Not gonna win you many games... but their backs are against the wall, and I think they come out and play their best football of the season.

Falcons declared WR Harry Douglas (ankle, knee) inactive for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Douglas didn't get any practices in this week and was ruled out on Friday. Expect a couple more underneath targets for Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez. Otherwise, the Falcons are healthy.

The rest of their inactives: QB Dominique Davis, C Joe Hawley, T Lamar Holmes, DT Travian Robertson, DE Jonathan Massaquoi and DE Cliff Matthews.

Eagles declared LG Danny Watkins (ankle) inactive for Sunday's game against the Falcons.

Watkins was struggling badly anyway, so we wouldn't consider Dennis Kelly a real downgrade. Otherwise, the Eagles are coming out of their bye and healthy. The weather is expected to hold up reasonably well through most of this game.

The rest of their inactives: QB Trent Edwards, WR Damaris Johnson, RB Dion Lewis, LB Jamar Chaney, OL Nate Menkin and DL Vinny Curry.

I've had this game marked on my calendar since the off season. Games like this are fun to watch. The Eagles and Falcons match up always make for some good games with exciting plays. I think this is the perfect time in the season for my franchise to be facing the 6-0 Falcons. Everyone can clearly see the this talented football team is clearly continuing to shoot itself in the foot being the same mistake prone team from last year; the same inconsistent Eagles.

There's plenty of blame to to go around though (coaches/players). This team has to stop being that talented paper team and get its shit together. We need to see that coaches made the right coaching adjustments catering to the teams strengths, utilizing its talent (& skilled play makers like LeSean McCoy) in ways to help us win football games. Players need to stop putting this team in bad positions by turning the ball over(the turnovers really need to stop) and committing penalties. Team has to play disciplined football and needs to click on all cylinders and perform in all 3 phases of the game. No more beating ourselves. My team needs to stand up.

I think this football game is important and will tell me a little something about this current football team. This team, this crew is under a lot of pressure right now. This is my teams last chance to get shi together. Our backs are against the wall and if we fail some serious changes are happening at the end of the season. When it's all said and done Reid's job is on the line and Vick is attached with him. It's do or die and I'm glad it is. It's time to really see what my team is really made of. Will my team stand up and and put things together to become that great team? Will our coaches and players step up when our team / family is on the line? I hope so and it's going to be interesting to sit back and watch to see if my teams heart is pumping cool aid or is the real deal.

It's pressure time in our organization and I believe this is the perfect time after a bye to get serious by knocking off an undefeated Falcons team. This team really needs to get on a strong streak beating the Falcons, beating a (currently) hot Brees and their high flying offense, and going on winning those 2 division games that follow. But if the team is serious, it starts right here beating an undefeated team coming into our house. The rest of the season will be interesting to see if my team will rise up or fail when a part of our crew is on it's last life. I get to see what this team is really made of.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!

:Eagles: 28

:Falcons: 20

I fucking hate Kurt Coleman. All of our blown coverages for big plays are because of his non covering ass :temper:

Edited by dutchff7

Well, that was one of the most dominating quarters of football I've seen in awhile.

:Falcons: 13 mins of possession, 14 points

:Eagles: 3 plays, -3 yards

:puke:

I still have faith in you Eagles!

LeSean McCoy scores a goalline touchdown on a missed tackle by Asante Samuel.

That was worth the price of admission. :yep:

Well we looked a little bit better in the second quarter. Still a lot of frustration, though. Nnamdi Asomugha is not living up to his contract. He got schooled twice in that quarter: once by Julio Jones for a long TD reception, once by Roddy White on a crucial third down that led to a Falcons FG.

Eagles defense looks lost and confused. At least they haven't turned the ball over in the little time they've had on offense.

We're absolutely owning TOP, similar to the days when we ran the ball all day...except our passing game has completely taken over.

Just a point on Turner that I would like to make: despite all the talk about Turner regressing and potentially looking like he's losing speed and what not, I don't think that's the case. On a few runs so far today he's shown that he has the same speed he always has had. I think the decrease in carries every week is as simple as Mike Smith keeps repeating, they want to save Turner for late in the season and the playoffs. Makes sense to me really.

He's made a lot of good cuts. When the line actually blocks for him, he makes things happen and he's still the same "bowling ball" he used to be for them. He's tough to take down.

• Upvote 1

I disagree.

While Turner isn't bad by any stretch. I do think he has lost a step. I wouldn't trust him to tote the load anymore. If you guys didn't have the dynamic and explosive offense like you did, I think you'd be a really mediocre team.

Again, that's not really a criticism. Turner has played fine, from what I have seen anyway. But he's benefited from the pass game maybe more so than Ryan or any of your receivers.