Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

I am glad somebody else enjoys Obi Wan as a character as much as I did. Hopefully you are an Alec Guiness fan. Dude was such a boss.

I got an awesome Obi Wan pop figure for Christmas. Love it. haha.

Watched it a second time and loved it just as much. Still want clarification on the political situation between the New Republic, First Order, and Resistance. Also, was Courscant destroyed?

Watched it a second time and loved it just as much. Still want clarification on the political situation between the New Republic, First Order, and Resistance. Also, was Courscant destroyed?

That was Hosnian Prime, which was the capital of the New Republic. Which is weird, because I don't remember that tidbit being mentioned at all in the movie.

I am glad somebody else enjoys Obi Wan as a character as much as I did. Hopefully you are an Alec Guiness fan. Dude was such a boss.

I got an awesome Obi Wan pop figure for Christmas. Love it. haha.

Well, I loved him as Obi but most of his work pre-dates me so I really have only seen one or two of his other works.

I just read that McGregor did voice over lines in Rey's vision, they even provided a sound bit from Guiness saying Rey (which the cut from the word afraid)

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/21/jj-abrams-reveals-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens

Don't remember who was the first on here that said it, but I'm sitting shotgun on the bandwagon of Rey being a Kenobi.

Don't remember who was the first on here that said it, but I'm sitting shotgun on the bandwagon of Rey being a Kenobi.

It was me, and no, you're not allowed.

It was me, and no, you're not allowed.

Wasn't asking your permission :nope:

This is bigger than you :yep:

The Kenobi theory is an interesting one, but I think it'd take a really good explanation for why she was abandoned on Jakku. I don't think she could be Obi-Wan's daughter based on age (I don't think anyone's suggesting that, but just in case) Obi-Wan was killed in ANH and TFA is set about 30 years after Return of the Jedi, so Rey seems way too young to be Obi-Wan's daughter. Obi-Wan is the only Kenobi that we've seen so far, meaning that the rest of the family is living in some level of obscurity, which begs the question if she is a distant relative why would her family have to abandon her when they seem to have been living in relative obscurity?

I kinda like the theory that she's just a random person who happens to be strong in the force, this would help explain why she was abandoned, perhaps the family didn't know how to deal with her? Or maybe she was just one of the other jedis-in-training when Ren went crazy and was hidden as the only survivor? I suppose that second theory could work with the Kenobi theory, but I kinda like the idea of spreading out the jedi rather than keeping everyone related, I think that's my real catching point with the Kenobi theory.

The Kenobi theory is an interesting one, but I think it'd take a really good explanation for why she was abandoned on Jakku. I don't think she could be Obi-Wan's daughter based on age (I don't think anyone's suggesting that, but just in case) Obi-Wan was killed in ANH and TFA is set about 30 years after Return of the Jedi, so Rey seems way too young to be Obi-Wan's daughter. Obi-Wan is the only Kenobi that we've seen so far, meaning that the rest of the family is living in some level of obscurity, which begs the question if she is a distant relative why would her family have to abandon her when they seem to have been living in relative obscurity?

I kinda like the theory that she's just a random person who happens to be strong in the force, this would help explain why she was abandoned, perhaps the family didn't know how to deal with her? Or maybe she was just one of the other jedis-in-training when Ren went crazy and was hidden as the only survivor? I suppose that second theory could work with the Kenobi theory, but I kinda like the idea of spreading out the jedi rather than keeping everyone related, I think that's my real catching point with the Kenobi theory.

In the flashback in which she was abandoned, wasn't Ren (in present form) in that vision on Jakku? Could be symbolism of the survivor theory you provided. That flashback went by fast, though.

I feel like if JJ were still involved it would be revealed that she's a Solo or something in Episode VIII.

I agree making the universe bigger is better, but as we've seen with every Star Wars movie....they like to shrink it and keep everything related. They could have EASILY made Kylo Ren some other guy instead of Han's son.

But if done right I don't mind. The thing is you are right we don't know much about the Kenobi family. We also don't know if Obi-Wan had kids or something during his exile and then Rey is a grandchild or something to that affect. Her being left is very similar to them leaving Leia and Luke instead of just raising them up with the truth. I don't know but operating on the assumption that she is a relative of someone we know you have to stop and think....both Daisy Ridley and John Boyega both have British accents. Boyega was asked to use an American accent for Finn while Ridley was told to keep her accent....who else do we know with a British accent in this canon?

At this point, after all this speculation, if Rey isn't a Skywalker or Kenobi or something related to the original trilogy, isn't that going to seem a little disappointing? I mean, if she's just a random person who's strong in the Force, shouldn't we know that by now?

Also, remember the second teaser trailer that had dialogue from Luke: "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Was that just a catchy line written for the trailer or something Luke says to Rey that got cut from the film?

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

At this point, after all this speculation, if Rey isn't a Skywalker or Kenobi or something related to the original trilogy, isn't that going to seem a little disappointing? I mean, if she's just a random person who's strong in the Force, shouldn't we know that by now?

Also, remember the second teaser trailer that had dialogue from Luke: "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Was that just a catchy line written for the trailer or something Luke says to Rey that got cut from the film?

I think they used audio from one of the original trilogy films.

I can see your point, and I tend to agree that completely random would be a bit disappointing, but I wouldn't mind if they tied her to someone like a random former member the Jedi Counsel

and I have no problem at all with intentional misdirection, but you're right, it is annoying if the answer then comes out of nowhere

I also think the Luke and Kenobi theories bring up too many more questions about her lineage, like I said if she's a Kenobi then why did her parents have to abandon her? if she's Luke's daughter who's her mother and what happened to her?

to butta's point about Ren, I completely disagree that they could have made him anyone, I think his tie to Vader is huge and the killing his dad moment wouldn't have been nearly as powerful if his dad hadn't been such a key figure in the original trilogy

I think they used audio from one of the original trilogy films.

:yep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYX_PgorRY

I can see your point, and I tend to agree that completely random would be a bit disappointing, but I wouldn't mind if they tied her to someone like a random former member the Jedi Counsel

and I have no problem at all with intentional misdirection, but you're right, it is annoying if the answer then comes out of nowhere

I also think the Luke and Kenobi theories bring up too many more questions about her lineage, like I said if she's a Kenobi then why did her parents have to abandon her? if she's Luke's daughter who's her mother and what happened to her?

to butta's point about Ren, I completely disagree that they could have made him anyone, I think his tie to Vader is huge and the killing his dad moment wouldn't have been nearly as powerful if his dad hadn't been such a key figure in the original trilogy

Thing is Kylo being Ben Solo raises questions.

Luke being the son of Vader and twins with Leia raised questions.

I don't think figuring out why Rey was left on Jakku is that big of a stretch from the stories we are used to.

And I guess the connection for Vader doesn't matter that much to me, especially when you know that Vader ended up going to the light before he died. So modeling yourself after a guy who ultimately didn't even believe in the Empire is meh. Then the thing with Han dying wasn't exactly necessary....if he survived this movie no one would have mind. Kylo could have easily been a force-sensitive Vader fanatic that was training to be a Sith without any relation to Han and Leia IMO.

Yes it is, around 1:37.

Wasn't asking your permission :nope:

This is bigger than you :yep:

sacasmmeter.jpg

----

I like Rey as a Kenobi in part because making her a Skywalker (like Luke's daughter) seems obvious and too easy. Like I said before, I think it makes sense that her parents were well aware of Obi-Wan and his entry into the Jedi order (being taken from a young age to train) and maybe didn't want that for her. So they hid her there with the full intention of coming back but something happened to them (maybe caught up in the battle of Jakku, but idk if that math adds up).

The only thing is that in that short flashback the person holding her back almost sounds like the scrap buyer. Definitely someone kinda rough.

Rey is a Mando, probably directly descended from Boba Fett. She is carrying a durastaff. It's plain as day, boys.

Ya, it's not like she's got a ton of money or anything. And living on a planet where she is just scavenging to get by. I don't think it carries any significant meaning -- didn't we see other people on Jakku carrying similar weapons?! But perhaps...

That was the scrap buyer in the flashback not sure why people debate that. Same voice plus you can see the chubby weird looking hand that is clearly his.

The staff is significant....as far as a link to her heritage idk, but it def plays a big part.

And MHG pls just :pls:

One of the issues I have with that is that it kind of makes Finn totally irrelevant. Also, why would he offer to teach Rey the darkside, or torture and/or kill tons of people trying to find Luke if he already knows where he is? A Jedi can't do that, even if it's part of a grander scheme to defeat the Sith. At least I would think so anyway. I think it makes more sense in the obvious way that he had to kill Han to completely fall to the darkside.

Though I think Ren will follow the path of Vader and eventually turn back to the light (whether it's too late or not by then), I don't think it's in the works already.