Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

Just got 2 tickets for Force Awakens on that Friday night for 5 bucks each. :laserface:

Edited by Spartan Havoc

This is completely just my theory, but I have a feeling who Kylo Ren, (the Sith), is.

JJ Abrams said there was a reason why Ren built his lightsaber with crossguards. Who lost a hand in a lightsaber duel that we know of? Darth Vader, who we know is dead, and... Luke Skywalker.

We haven't seen Luke in any of the trailers, although he may have been in that last one, putting his robotic hand on Artoo. But what better plot twist than to go down a theory that didn't ever quite come true in the expanded universe? It would be hard to pull off, but if it was done well it would be a twist equivalent to Knights of the Old Republic 1.

The Kylo is Luke theory is gaining some steam, and I gotta say I wouldn't like it.

Part of the core of Luke's entire arc in episodes 4 through 6 is his resistance to the dark side. Now, 30 years later, he changes his mind? The backstory would have to be incredibly well done for me to buy it.

There was a Darkhorse comics series where he turns. It wasn't canon, and in my opinion was poorly executed.

They could also do something like Jacen's fall for Luke, where he basically tries to keep the peace and it keeps exploding in his face and so he turns to more and more drastic measures to keep it, leading to the predictable result that he falls to the dark side.

Edited by Thanatos19

Meh.

Besides, Adam Driver has already been cast as Ren. Too much misdirection for him to be Luke. :nonono:

Except... its JJ Abrams. And he was rather upset than Benedict Cumberbatch was outed as being Khan well before Star Trek 2. I could totally see him doing something like this.

I hope not though, it seems gimmicky to me.

Edited by Thanatos19

Someone has to be teaching Finn how to use a lightsaber, unless he just picked one up randomly and decided to fight Kylo with it, which would strike me as highly unlikely and bordering on retarded. I would imagine Luke is the one training him.

Though, I am curious for the reason behind Luke not just ending Kylo himself. Old age causing his abilities to deteriorate, maybe.

I really hope Luke isn't Kylo Ren. Just seems like a cop-out twist for the sake of having a twist.

Except... its JJ Abrams. And he was rather upset than Benedict Cumberbatch was outed as being Khan well before Star Trek 2. I could totally see him doing something like this.

I hope not though, it seems gimmicky to me.

That's because Cucumberpatch being Khan was a stupid idea. :slingblade:

Anyway, I'm with SteVo. Luke being Kylo, or any bad guy at all, is lame and defeats the purpose of the original trilogy. (Sidenote: I love how there's so many characters we haven't seen yet [unless we have already and I just didn't pay attention]. Max von Sydow, Lupita N'yongo, Andy Serkis.)

I also feel like we're going to get hit with some name shenanigans. Dunno if it's possible to keep it under wraps for this long, not to mention the merchandise conflicts, but it feels like it could happen.

I really hope that Kylo is actually (EU character...)

Kyp Durron. I would love to see some badguy-turned-goodguy action.

• Downvote 1

The performance isn't the problem. Him actually being Khan is.

Nah I think Luke won't be in the movie until at least close to the end. If he's in it earlier than that it'll be just him and R2D2. I think in this movie it will be Han Solo putting together a new good guy team and dying in the end and then we get Luke. The second movie Luke will train the new generation and be a dick, kind of like Yoda was for him but darker.

• Upvote 1

Why exactly?

Because it's lazy. They could've gone in approximately one billion different (i.e., new) directions, but instead Abrams turned it, essentially, into a Wrath of Khan remake.

:nonono:

It isn't a remake... Wrath of Khan was a lot a deeper while Into Darkness was politics at its finest. At the very root and foundation of both of these movies, they are different. Wrath of Khan was all about... The wrath of Khan. Kirk supposedly playing into the death of his wife, and now he is out for revenge any means necessary. Again, kind of back to the political theme in Into Darkness, Khan is pissed that the Federation basically puppeted him in war. There was no personal afront to Kirk and his crew until they stood up to him.

And it's not like this happened in Wrath of Khan or anything...

• Upvote 2

Because it's lazy. They could've gone in approximately one billion different (i.e., new) directions, but instead Abrams turned it, essentially, into a Wrath of Khan remake.

:nonono:

It's not a remake, it's a very cool reimagining of what might have happened in an alternate universe. I love those kinds of stories, personally, like alternate history books? What happens if Hitler doesn't fall for the British scheme where they act like they have an army when they don't? What happens if the US doesn't drop the atomic bombs on Japan?

This wasn't real history, but it was still established history, and seeing this type of story told was frankly amazing.

Don't click this, MHG.

It isn't a remake... Wrath of Khan was a lot a deeper while Into Darkness was politics at its finest. At the very root and foundation of both of these movies, they are different. Wrath of Khan was all about... The wrath of Khan. Kirk supposedly playing into the death of his wife, and now he is out for revenge any means necessary. Again, kind of back to the political theme in Into Darkness, Khan is pissed that the Federation basically puppeted him in war. There was no personal afront to Kirk and his crew until they stood up to him.

And it's not like this happened in Wrath of Khan or anything...

It didn't. But this did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqpcmQhnl48

:welp: