Favre4Ever

MLB Offseason Thread

You mean field manager, surely. Alex Anthopoulos is one of the top executives in the league.

Yeah, thanks for the correction Trident. I got so excited I made a mistake. This deal is so damn important to me it's crazy. It's put me in a great mood today.

Edited by BigBen07

MLB should force Loria to sell. He's obviously not looking out for the best interest of the team.

Yankees re-signed RHP Hiroki Kuroda to a one-year, $15 million contract.

He'll have a chance to earn a little less than $1 million in performance-based incentives. Kuroda will turn 38 in February, but he could have netted a two-year deal from someone if he wanted. Instead, he'll stay where he's comfortable before possibly returning to Japan after the season.

Rays and Evan Longoria agreed to $100 million contract extension.

Good move by the Rays to keep a homegrown and well-liked player like Longoria in town for his whole career. If there was one guy to break the bank for, it was him.

In other news, apparently B.J. Upton will make a decision this week. On one hand I hope he doesn't sign with us; on the other I fear if he doesn't we might go after the Bourn identity, who I don't want.

Great news for the Rays, I always assumed Evan was just going to bolt to the Yankees or something at some point, but we locked the dude up until he is 36 at a reasonable deal. But the contract obviously means David Price won't stay long term (as if anyone thought he would, but most thought the same with Longo). We just can't afford to pay two players that much money. I think we trade Price after next season for a huge haul.

The Reds are about to re-sign Broxton. A lot of speculation that he will become our closer and then Chapman will become a starter making one of the current starters expendable. Heard we also kicked the tires on BJ Upton, but I doubt that would become a reality with BPhil and Joey Bats with large contracts.

I wish I had a owners that actually cared for the team and want to improve... What's that feel like? lol anyone?

Per Rotoworld.com:

Carlos Ruiz has been suspended 25 games by Major League Baseball for the use of amphetamines.

His exact drug of choice was the ADD medicine Adderall. "Chooch" will serve the punishment at the start of the 2013 regular season. It's a major blow to the Phillies, who have come to rely on the veteran catcher's improved offensive production. Ruiz, 33, batted .325/.394/.540 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI in 2012 for Philadelphia. Nov 27 - 4:35 PM

Source: Adam Rubin on Twitter

Edited by BLUE

Per Rotoworld.com

The Royals have "talked to the Mets about" knuckleballer R.A. Dickey, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

But Heyman doesn't see a fit there because Dickey is 38 years old and under contract for only one more season. And the Royals aren't willing to give up young catcher Salvador Perez or top prospect Wil Myers to acquire him. The Mets have been discussing a contract extension with Dickey for at least the past two months. If they can't work anything out, it's highly possible that Dickey will be dealt.

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Brewers, Red Sox and Angels are interested in Ryan Dempster.

The Red Sox and Brewers had already been linked to Dempster this offseason, but the Angels -- who reportedly just bowed out of the Zack Greinke bidding -- are a newcomer. Dempster, 35, posted an excellent 3.38 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 153/52 K/BB ratio in 173 innings this past season between the Cubs and Rangers.

According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, the Red Sox "may" have interest in reliever Brian Wilson.

Wilson will be non-tendered by the Giants on Friday, officially making him a free agent. The 30-year-old right-hander is said to prefer to continue his career on the West Coast, but he's a native of New Hampshire and will probably be open to heading back east if the price is right. Wilson is expected to be recovered from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery by Opening Day 2013.

Pirates signed Russel Martin. 2 years 17 mil. Not too terrible I guess, but just kinda alright. Nothing to get too excited about.

Also today: Twins trade Denard Span to Nationals for pitching prospect Alex Meyer.

I guess this means the Nationals aren't interested in the Bourn identity. Please don't overpay, Phillies...

The New York Yankees and closer Mariano Rivera have agreed to a one-year, $10 million deal, plus incentives, sources told ESPN.

Rivera, who turned 43 on Thursday, will take a pay cut from the $15 million he earned in 2012. The deal could be officially announced as soon as Friday.

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Dodgers met Thursday with free-agent pitcher Zack Greinke, according to a baseball source with knowledge of the meeting, a move that could signal their front-runner status in the effort to sign the most coveted pitcher on the market.
Edited by Favre4Ever

Ken Rosenthal says the Phillies and Giants have 4-year deals on the table for Angel Pagan.

I would definitely be down for that. Fills the need in CF and gets Jimmy Rollins out of the leadoff spot.

Edited by SteVo

Per Rotoworld.com

Giants non-tendered RHP Brian Wilson.

It appears Wilson's tenure in San Francisco is coming to a close, as he is now free to negotiate with any team. There's been some chatter that the Dodgers and Red Sox could have interest, but there will surely be more teams involved. The 30-year-old right-hander is expected to be fully recovered from Tommy John surgery in time for the 2013 season.

Orioles non-tendered INF Mark Reynolds.

The move doesn't come as a complete surprise, as there was little communication between the organization and Reynolds in the days leading up to the deadline. The 29-year-old slugger should have no problem finding work on the open market.

According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks have expressed interest in free agent Brandon McCarthy.

McCarthy, who is scheduled to resume throwing in December, was pursued by the D'Backs the last time he reached free agency two years ago. Despite the injury concerns, he should still be able to secure a multi-year deal.

Indians also didn't tender Jack Hannahan. Not a great player but one of those really likeable guys. Also much better than Lonnie Chissenhall who looks to take his place at third.

I want the Red Sox to sign Swisher for RF, Napoli for 1B/C/DH, and I don't know what SSs are out there but we need one bad.

The Red Sox have signed Mike Napoli to a three-year, $39 million deal, according to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman.

That's an average of $13 million per season, which isn't bad considering Napoli's enormous power potential and the lack of true sluggers on this winter's free agent market. Napoli will play first base for Boston but should retain fantasy eligibility at catcher because he'll make spot starts behind the plate. The 31-year-old hit 24 homers in 108 games this summer for the Rangers.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Woot. Go get Swisher now.

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Middlebrooks

That lineup.. :rock:

Edited by BradyFan81

@Ken_Rosenthal Sources: Dan Haren in agreement with #Nationals, one year, $13M. Pending physical.

Alex Speier

@alexspeier

Sox have agreed with Victorino on 3yr deal

Edited by BLUE