Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Eagles could rest Vick for the season

Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole reports "it's a pretty strong bet" that the Eagles will "rest" Michael Vick (concussion) for the remainder of the season.

"I'm 99 percent sure that's exactly what you're going to see happen," a source tells Cole. "Andy is going to go to [owner] Jeff [Lurie] and [GM] Howie [Roseman] and say, 'Let's go with Foles and make the transition to the next era.'" Another source says Reid only stuck with Vick after Week 8 because he feared losing the locker room. Now that Vick is concussed, Reid has an excuse to go with a more traditional pocket offense with Nick Foles. "We have always had the issue with [Vick] about seeing the play and trusting it," said a source. "With Foles, maybe that gets easier."

Would love to see this happen, as long as it doesn't buy Andy another year. Eight games of Foles should give us a good idea about whether or not he's the future.

Foles is the starter this week against Washington, per Schefter. Knowing the Eagles, they'll be stubborn and won't IR Vick until we're mathematically eliminated.

Foles will be the 10th NFL QB to start a game this season where they played their HS Football in the state of Texas.

Just in case you wanted to know where all the talent is.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty fail that they are "resting" him. I dislike Vick as a football player, but if anything... He deserves a little respect... Something Andy is usually really good about. Kind of surprising, IMO.

Guest Phailadelphia

Gotta keep him healthy if he's going to be traded in the offseason...

"rest"? Yeah, more like they are going to start their future NOW. Book Andy Reid a departure flight from Philadelphia at the end of the season.

It's pretty fail that they are "resting" him. I dislike Vick as a football player, but if anything... He deserves a little respect... Something Andy is usually really good about. Kind of surprising, IMO.

Looks like "rest" is the writer's word. As far as I know, the Eagles haven't made a statement other than he can't play this week due to concussion.

Gotta keep him healthy if he's going to be traded in the offseason...

I read that Vick can be cut after the Super Bowl and save the Eagles another 3 million so I don't think he'll be traded. I doubt we'd get much for him anyway, if anything honestly. You never know though. Look at what we got for Kevin fucking Kolb.

I read that Vick can be cut after the Super Bowl and save the Eagles another 3 million so I don't think he'll be traded. I doubt we'd get much for him anyway, if anything honestly. You never know though. Look at what we got for Kevin fucking Kolb.

There are only so many retarded front offices in the NFL left for you to abuse... Maybe the Jaguars or Bills would be interested.

There are only so many retarded front offices in the NFL left for you to abuse... Maybe the Jaguars or Bills would be interested.

God I wish Al Davis was still alive. Dat 4.4 40 would have him salivating ready to give up all kinds of draft picks haha

Lol at the Eagles. I actually think Foles has the potential to become a good QB tho.

It's funny how many people laughed at Vick's contract and ripped our FO but in reality he can be cut this year and actually save the team money. We're heading into next year with more cap room than any other team in the league. We'll also have extra draft picks and the ones we have should be fairly high. If we can get a good coach to come in we'll be right back in contention.

Our front offense is great at setting up deals. Eagles construct deals that they can get out of quick if things go wrong for cheap(not to mention great at accumulating draft picks). I hope Foles does get the rest of the season. I expect Vick to be sitting after he gets cleared from concussions as well. Vick is tied to Reid and with how our season is going, I doubt we win 7 games straight to squeeze into the play offs. So that means Vick is gone at the end of the season anyway so why not get Foles some experience?

Here is all of Foles throws in that game http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/videos/Breaking-Down-Foles-Game/fc246655-cdb4-40e5-949e-58a73f21c6ed

For his first career start, he didn't do to bad. There were some bad throws and decisions(awareness), but such is the life of a rookie. That gets better with experience, time, and coaching. There were a lot of things I did like though. He did make some good throws that you would like to see a rookie make. He was very poised and calm in the pocket. The game didn't look to fast for him. He made some throws while in contact with defenders and is mobile enough to get out the pocket, extend the play and then make a throw. With all that said, I'm not anointing him as our guy. I saw some good things that I liked from his play.

We saw Vick already this season. Yes, our offensive line blows but Vick is not free from blame. He had a lot of unnecessary turnovers in coverage; just bad decisions. He also forces it into coverage and is oblivious to our open WR;never looked their way. So Vick has missed quite a few opportunities like that. PFF also has Vick holding onto the ball the 2nd longest to anyone besides R. Wilson(rookie). I've seen Vick hesitate to throw the ball when the throw was there and his awareness in the pocket has resulted in a lot of turnovers. Vick does get hit more then any QB in the league but there are QBs who got sacked more then him (Rodgers) and have the awareness to secure the ball. Even when Vick does decided to run (even some of his running plays he looks indecisive) he carries the ball away from his body. Then I would see the defender creeping behind him and see the fumble before it happens. Call it every time. Granted, Vick shouldn't be passing 40 times a game like he's Peyton Manning. Andy and Marty had that bright idea.

As far as coaching, I expect Andy and Marty to be gone. We have become the stupidest play callers in the league and everyone knows it. Our offensive line is devastated by injuries and you have Vick passing 40 times a game?? AND you have LeSean McCoy as your running back??? There is no sane excuse that will justify how retarded our coaches are. Our best offensive player is our RB.... Give him the fucking ball!! Good things happen when we do that... Marty is the play caller but it's Reids fault for allowing him to continue calling stupid plays. We call plays like call a passing play 2nd & 2 and pass again on 3rd & 2 and turnover on downs. Andy will start running the ball with McCoy in the 4th quarter when we are down by multiple possessions. McCoy would have like 7 carries in the 1st 3 quarters. Just idiocy...

Andy made another call firing Juan Castillo mid season. Our defense had 2 bad games with the Lions and Steelers blowing both 4 quarter leads. Before then, we had a top 5 defense. Reid fires Juan and our last 3 games under Todd Bowles has been the three worst pass defensive performances in franchise history.

I expect a lot of change in our organization at the end of the season. I'm ready for a breathe of fresh air.

Edited by dutchff7

According to FOX Philadelphia, Michael Vick's concussion symptoms are "getting worse."

Not good. Vick has been unable to pass his final baseline tests, and it doesn't sound like he'll do so any time soon. At this point, Vick may only be back under center this season if rookie Nick Foles goes down with injury. If you're facing a roster crunch in your 12-14 team league with the fantasy playoffs closing in, dropping Vick could be a calculated risk worth taking. Nov 29 - 5:16 PM

Source: Howard Eskin on Twitter

Updating a previous item, FOX Philadelphia's Howard Eskin reports Michael Vick could be out the rest of the season as concussion symptoms continue to get worse.

Vick had reportedly advanced to Stage 4 of his concussion recovery protocol over the weekend, but it's been all downhill since. Nearly three weeks after sustaining the concussion, Vick has yet to pass his baseline test. There's a good chance he's started his last game with the Eagles. It's fair to wonder if questions about the lingering symptoms will have a negative impact on his ability to find a starting job once the Eagles cut ties this offseason. In a lost season, we suspect the organization could decide to shut LeSean McCoy (concussion) down as well. Nov 30 - 7:42 AM

Source: Howard Eskin on Twitter

Aside from the point, but I think Vick must have been battling a concussion before the Dallas game, or earlier in the game than the play where he came out. Where he [was] tripped, it didn't look that bad when his head hit the ground. It really didn't even look like his head did hit the ground on that play. These guys have to do a better job of protecting their squash.

Contrary to reports by FOX Philadephia, Yahoo's Jason Cole has been told by two sources that Michael Vick's (concussion) condition is improving this week.

The previous reports that Vick's symptoms are not only worsening but could threaten his season suggest someone in the front office wants him out of the picture altogether so the team can go forward without controversy on Nick Foles. We suspect Cole's sources are in Vick's camp as opposed to the team's. According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Vick believes he's the "victim of politics." We haven't heard the last of this issue, which is turning into the latest soap opera in Philadelphia.

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter

:think:

Per Adam Schefter on Twitter:

Andy Reid said Nick Foles is Eagles starting QB the rest of the season.

So is Vick done in Philly? Or will that depend on who comes in as coach?

So is Vick done in Philly? Or will that depend on who comes in as coach?

If they cut him before the day after the Super Bowl, they only have to pay him $2 million-$3 million to buy out the rest of his entire contract.

He's gone.