Sign in to follow this  
NaTaS

Worst cliches in Sports

There a ton of them, what is your least favorite?

Here is one that grinds my gears....

I think mine is when someone is trying to diss a team, coach or player and argues that their girlfriend/wife either sniffed out the play or asked why the coach is calling a certain play because the team in whatever color always guess what their doing.

"He wants that one back" or "Wishes he had that one back" Or any variation of that.

Really? Thanks for sharing that astonishing insight with us.

To kind of go off what Cuda said, I hate the " That was a costly turnover." Really ? Nooooo ? You dont say ? No shit Sherlock.

Anything that exits Jon Gruden's frontal orifice.

I know I am alone, but I felt the same way about John Madden. They guys last name is on the money, he was maddening.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

"What a huge win by (insert team here) as they solidfy their position in the playoff race!" Oh, really? I thought losing was the preferred option when you're trying to make the playoffs... Yea, that's it. The Browns and Bills have been doing it the right way all these years, guys.

:( that was a low blow sarge

I could really go on and on with this, but the one that pisses me off the most is whenever they mention momentum. How many times has this happened?

Team A scores a touchdown: "Wow, A has really got some momentum going!"

Team B scores one on the next play: "B grabbed the momentum back!"

If it goes away that quickly, it means nothing.

I know I am alone, but I felt the same way about John Madden. They guys last name is on the money, he was maddening.

You're not alone at all. John Madden irritated the hell out of me. "It's raining tonight, and that may have contributed to that pass being dropped."

I always thought John would eventually say something like, "My butt is itchy. You know what, Al? I bet that, if I scratch it, the itch will go away."

I will take Collinsworth over Madden. Every time. I don't like Collinsworth, either, but Madden was just awful. Why can't every game caller be a Dick Stockton, Kevin Harlan, or Gus Johnson? I just don't get it.

Any Sport:

"They just really came out here and played within themselves"

"They got to play their game"

Football/Basketball

"That was just a silly penalty/foul" - No shit?

And my personal least favorite of all time.

"This Browns team is in rebuilding mode"

*clears throat*

It is what it is.

*runs the fuck out of the topic*

1. Both sides of the ball
  2. "Tremendous"
  3. There's a hold on every play
  4. White players = scrappy, black players = well spoken
  5. That's a throw only ____ can make

• Upvote 1

"that guy's got a great [insert sport here] IQ"

that phrase has just never made a lot of sense to me, are you saying he knows the game? if you're talking about a professional athlete, he better know the game, otherwise he ain't gonna be a professional athlete for long, and guess what? that doesn't even really matter, I'd be willing to bet most of us have about as good of a grasp of football as a lot of NFL players

also: "he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played" which is just one of the most asinine "the old days were better" comments you can make

1. Teams playing with confidence.

2. A winning team that "went out and played 60 minutes"

3. A rookie/sophomore player "having a great career ahead of them."

4. Similarly to #3, new (rookie) or previously mediocre players suddenly becoming top-10 or even top-5 players at their position according to the media/players, even though often they will go to mediocrity the next year.

You're not alone at all. John Madden irritated the hell out of me. "It's raining tonight, and that may have contributed to that pass being dropped."

I always thought John would eventually say something like, "My butt is itchy. You know what, Al? I bet that, if I scratch it, the itch will go away."

My personal favorite of all time, " You have to score more points than the other team if you want to win the game. It is that simple." That delirious old fool should have been put out the pasture many years ago.

Was just reminded of this while watching basketball tonight.

"That'll be 3 the old-fashioned way"