Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Is there an elite team in the NFL this year?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is there an elite team in the NFL this year?

• Yes
    • No

Even though we do have two 11-2 teams, I am not sure I would consider either elite after watching both play throughout the season, especially the past few weeks. Honestly, if I was going to consider a team elite, it'd probably be the Patriots, but even then I'm on the fence.

I don't think so, but I also don't think there has to be, which some people seem to think is the case, there are really only a handful of teams that can really be considered elite so I don't know why anyone would expect there to be one in any particular season

Patriots are on the edge of being elite. They didn't look like at the first half of the season but now their clicking on all cylinders AND their defense is getting better. Also don't even have Gronk right now.

Patriots may be the only team I'd put in this category. Their three losses are by a combined 4 points, and all three were in the first half of the season.

The only team I consider elite is the Patriots and they've been that way for about 10 years straight.

The Broncos are on the verge as well.

Peyton and co. are playing at a very high level, if they go into Baltimore and thrash them, as I am fully expecting, I think they have to be in this conversation. We are setting up for another epic Peyton vs Brady battle in the AFC, and I can't wait.

No I dont think there is. I think there are some teams that if played their a game every game then there would be no way to tell and nobody would be the clear cut victor.

I will say this. When the bears are on they are damn good. The Texans are the same way. The Falcons the same. The Broncos the same. The Pack the same. I mean if all those teams bring their A game I am not sure I could pick any in a head to head matchup.

Bears are too inconsistent, Falcons continuously lose in the 1st round of the playoffs, and the Texans (who are still a good team) haven't showed up and crumbled in prime time match ups against other high caliber teams; like completely obliterated. Broncos and Packers are definitely in the talk imo. Patriots are clear cut #1 imo.

No. As good as the Patriots are on offense and run defense. Their secondary is a rotating door of individuals. In today's NFL, that cannot be. However, with a recent surge in pass rushing efficiency from Rob Ninkovich...and just Vince Wilfork in general. Their secondary is serviceable as long as the opposing QB is on the ground.

As great as the Patriots have looked, their secondary is still a dangerous vulnerability that could be exploited come playoff time.

So no, no elite teams this year.

As great as the Patriots have looked, their secondary is still a dangerous vulnerability that could be exploited come playoff time.

I would have said the same back in September. But this secondary is vastly improved from the utter garbage it was in the 1st half of the season and earlier on. Not great, but adequate.

Love the Dennard and Talib tandem at corner, McCourty has been great since he's shifted to safety, and I don't need to gouge my eyes out with Arrington at nickel. Might be some of the best personnel decisions that BB & Co. have ever made during his tenure.

• Upvote 1

The Broncos are on the verge as well.

Peyton and co. are playing at a very high level, if they go into Baltimore and thrash them, as I am fully expecting, I think they have to be in this conversation. We are setting up for another epic Peyton vs Brady battle in the AFC, and I can't wait.

The Broncos aren't as good as people think they are. They're very talented, but they haven't beat a top tier team this season. They lost to the Falcons by 6 points in Week 2, the Texans by 6 points in Week 3, and the Patriots by 10 points in Week 5. All games were virtually out of reach in the 3rd quarter, and while the Broncos got the games close they were unable to close any of them out. They were down to Atlanta 27-7 midway through the 3rd quarter, down to Houston 31-11 in the closing minutes of the 3rd quarter, and down to New England 31-7 in the closing minutes of the 3rd quarter. Peyton Manning is a hell of a QB, and he's had time to develop more chemistry with his receivers since those games, but the offense definitely had a lot of chemistry early on (which was a bit surprising to be completely honest).

Their most impressive win this season is probably their 34-14 victory over New Orleans. This was the Saints' only loss in their best streak of the season with a run of 5-1 from Week 5-11, but they're still a team that's suffering from their losses in the offseason as well as the punishments & effects that came from the Bountygate scandal. Denver has also beaten both Cincinnati & Tampa Bay, but neither team has been consistently good either.

Denver certainly has talent on both sides of the ball, but they have lost to the three top tier teams that they've faced this year and allowed the games to get out of hand before getting a couple late scores. Their defense is ranked 3rd in weighted defensive efficiency, and their offense is ranked 3rd in weighted offensive efficiency, but I will keep my doubts until I see these top ranked units get a win against a top tier team. Willis McGahee has struggled at times this season, but he is clearly their best option at running back. Losing him in Week 11 certainly doesn't help. I won't count out a team that has as much talent as they do, especially with Peyton Manning leading the offense & Von Miller leading the defense, but they're clearly not as good or "elite" as people give them credit as being. A win over Baltimore doesn't establish them as elite since Baltimore has lost a step due to injuries & an inconsistent offense. I do expect the Broncos to have at least one big win in the postseason, but they will not be "elite" in my eyes until then.

Denver is a totally different football club than the one that played Atlanta, Houston, and New England.

They had a brutal schedule to start out, and were 2-3 after their first five, and have now won eight straight games, which I believe is the longest win-streak in the NFL.

They are playing far better football, and have a run-game to go with Peyton, and good defense as well.

Denver vs New England is looking like pretty good odds as the AFC Championship game, in my book, so long as the seeding works out. Houston might throw a wrench in that by taking the 1 seed, in which case they'd play in the divisional round.

• Upvote 1

I say no. The team closest to being worthy of the "elite" tag would be the Pats, but even then they've had moments of major inconsistency (mostly on defense). The 9ers, Bears and Texans are all very good teams, but all 3 have looked vulnerable in the past few weeks for differing reasons.

• Upvote 1

Bears aren't even gonna make the playoffs at this rate.

The Broncos aren't as good as people think they are. They're very talented, but they haven't beat a top tier team this season. They lost to the Falcons by 6 points in Week 2, the Texans by 6 points in Week 3, and the Patriots by 10 points in Week 5. All games were virtually out of reach in the 3rd quarter, and while the Broncos got the games close they were unable to close any of them out. They were down to Atlanta 27-7 midway through the 3rd quarter, down to Houston 31-11 in the closing minutes of the 3rd quarter, and down to New England 31-7 in the closing minutes of the 3rd quarter. Peyton Manning is a hell of a QB, and he's had time to develop more chemistry with his receivers since those games, but the offense definitely had a lot of chemistry early on (which was a bit surprising to be completely honest).

Their most impressive win this season is probably their 34-14 victory over New Orleans. This was the Saints' only loss in their best streak of the season with a run of 5-1 from Week 5-11, but they're still a team that's suffering from their losses in the offseason as well as the punishments & effects that came from the Bountygate scandal. Denver has also beaten both Cincinnati & Tampa Bay, but neither team has been consistently good either.

Denver certainly has talent on both sides of the ball, but they have lost to the three top tier teams that they've faced this year and allowed the games to get out of hand before getting a couple late scores. Their defense is ranked 3rd in weighted defensive efficiency, and their offense is ranked 3rd in weighted offensive efficiency, but I will keep my doubts until I see these top ranked units get a win against a top tier team. Willis McGahee has struggled at times this season, but he is clearly their best option at running back. Losing him in Week 11 certainly doesn't help. I won't count out a team that has as much talent as they do, especially with Peyton Manning leading the offense & Von Miller leading the defense, but they're clearly not as good or "elite" as people give them credit as being. A win over Baltimore doesn't establish them as elite since Baltimore has lost a step due to injuries & an inconsistent offense. I do expect the Broncos to have at least one big win in the postseason, but they will not be "elite" in my eyes until then.

Those 3 losses in the first half of the season are irrelevant. The 8 game winning streak they are on now what matters. It does not how you start the seasons (ask the Chargers) it matters how you finish (ask the Giants). As of right now they are the best team in football.

Those 3 losses in the first half of the season are irrelevant. The 8 game winning streak they are on now what matters. It does not how you start the seasons (ask the Chargers) it matters how you finish (ask the Giants). As of right now they are the best team in football.

but when you talk about an 'elite team' I interpret that as one of the all time greats, a team that in five or ten years we'll look back and say "man those 2012 X were really amazing" to reach that level of greatness I think a team has to establish dominance throughout the season, I'm not saying teams aren't allowed an off game (otherwise the '72 Dolphins would be the only elite team) but if you want to consider a team elite then the reasoning for losing a game here and there can't just be "the beginning of the season was irrelevant"

Edited by oochymp

I say no. The team closest to being worthy of the "elite" tag would be the Pats, but even then they've had moments of major inconsistency (mostly on defense). The 9ers, Bears and Texans are all very good teams, but all 3 have looked vulnerable in the past few weeks for differing reasons.

After this weekend, I'm still sticking with this.

The 9ers - Pats game was intense. Brady killed it in the 4th quarter as usual, but the Pats defense just couldn't hold on. The 9ers D did a great job in the last 5 minutes to close out the game.

Edited by RANGA

I still say the Pats are the best team.

Not taking anything away from the Niners, but having five fumbles which were all recovered by your own team is pretty damn lucky, and not something you can count on.

Those 3 losses in the first half of the season are irrelevant. The 8 game winning streak they are on now what matters. It does not how you start the seasons (ask the Chargers)it matters how you finish (ask the Giants). As of right now they are the best team in football.

FWIW, the Chargers were the poster boys for starting slow and finishing strong.

2006: Won 10 straight to end season

2007: Started 1-3, won last 6 games to finish 11-5

2008: Started 4-8, won last 4 games to win division

2009: Started 2-3, won last 11 games to finish 13-3

And the Giants have been the poster boys for collapsing down the stretch.