Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Lombardi: Ron Rivera to be fired on Monday

Appearing on Showtime's Inside the NFL, NFL Network's Michael Lombardi said he thinks Panthers head coach Ron Rivera will "certainly" be fired on Monday.

Lombardi didn't cite any sources, so take the report with a grain of salt, but Rivera's status heading into the offseason has certainly been in question, especially after Carolina started the season 2-8. The Panthers have rallied to win four-of-five and now sit at 6-9 heading into Week 17. After finishing 2011 with a 6-10 record, Rivera will, at the very least, match that mark, but owner Jerry Richardson may deem that it's not good enough. Aside from blowout losses in Week 3 and Week 10 to the Giants and Broncos, the Panthers have been in every game. Carolina ranks No. 17 in total offense and No. 8 in total defense in 2012. The team has been linked to Oregon's Chip Kelly in recent months.

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

AndHereWeGo.gif

Guest Phailadelphia

Sooo....Chip Kelly + Cam Newton anyone?

Sooo....Chip Kelly + Cam Newton anyone?

I've been thinking this for awhile now. If Kelly wants to adopt his offense to the professional level, Cam Newton is the QB for the job.

Well, RG3 would be ideal, but we all know Shanahan's not going anywhere.

Fire him because?

Would make no sense. Get the kid some damn weapons and get this great defensive coach more defensive pieces.

I always love it when coaches get fired for not doing enough with next to nothing.

Fire him because?

Would make no sense. Get the kid some damn weapons and get this great defensive coach more defensive pieces.

I always love it when coaches get fired for not doing enough with next to nothing.

They have already fired the GM. You can't handcuff the new GM with a headcoach. Not a good way to run your team, IMO.

They have already fired the GM. You can't handcuff the new GM with a headcoach. Not a good way to run your team, IMO.

Ahem, YOU HEAR THAT JAGUARS!?

Out with the Smiff and all the Mularkey business.

This is bullshit. He has a joke for a DC and an incompetent front office. Lord. Dumb move es dumb.

I think I agree with him being fired, actually. Partially because of what Favre said, and partially because he plays games not to lose, at the end. It's cost us a good chance to win 2 or 3 games. Just not sure he is HC material. If we could keep him as DC and fire McDermott, now that I would like to do.

Don't get it. Maybe it is just Carolina. John Fox seems to be having success since they fired him. Maybe HC isnt what the real problem is.

They had a retarded GM who gave out ridiculous contracts.

The defense sucks balls. I love my miami alum as much as anybody but Beason is useless. Although Keuchly is the man.

The secondary is ass.

They cant generate a pass rush

Oh and Deangelo Williams has decided to retire and not tell anybody....

Those are some big ass problems to try to pin on your HC.

• Upvote 1

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

628x471.jpg

Meet Charles Johnson (11)and Greg Hardy(10.5)

Combined for 21.5 sacks, highest of any 2 4-3 DE's in the NFL

They have a serviceable defensive front 7 as far as talent goes. Thomas Davis, Master Luke, have both had great years.

Not sure if Beason reallly comes back to the backer we used to know. Just can't stay healthy.

The talent's there...just poor DC'ing

• Upvote 2

628x471.jpg

Meet Charles Johnson (11)and Greg Hardy(10.5)

Combined for 21.5 sacks, highest of any 2 4-3 DE's in the NFL

They have a serviceable defensive front 7 as far as talent goes. Thomas Davis, Master Luke, have both had great years.

Not sure if Beason reallly comes back to the backer we used to know. Just can't stay healthy.

The talent's there...just poor DC'ing

And the rest of the team has combines for 12 more. They are middle of the road at rushing the passer despite having two monsters on the edge. Pass rush has a whole lot more to do with sacks then two guys. If you have one good tackle you can neutralize two good edge rushers. Then you have to rely on others to get there and they cant do it.

Outside of two pass rushers they have no one else....

The can not generate a consistent pass rush. If those two dont have a good game no pass rush is found.

Don't get it. Maybe it is just Carolina. John Fox seems to be having success since they fired him. Maybe HC isnt what the real problem is.

They had a retarded GM who gave out ridiculous contracts.

The defense sucks balls. I love my miami alum as much as anybody but Beason is useless. Although Keuchly is the man.

The secondary is ass.

Those are some big ass problems to try to pin on your HC.

ATL pretty much nailed it. You are incorrect on several points.

First off, Carolina's defense is 10th overall. Hardly sucking.

Secondly, their secondary does indeed suck overall, but Chris Gamble is a pro-bowl caliber CB, he just got hurt.

D-Will has fallen off big-time after we paid him, got that one right.

As ATL said, Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy combine for a pretty good pass rush, with the new Edwards wall in the middle :p, (Dwan and Ron), Carolina's front four is decent enough. Beason got hurt again this year, I wouldn't call him useless, although he is if he can't stay healthy I guess. Thomas Davis, James Anderson, and Master Luke make a great LB corps, when all three are on the field at the same time.

The reason why I can and do blame Rivera is that 5-13 record in games decided by 8 or less points, (1 score). Not as bad as the one they throw out all the time- the 7 points or less one, where he is like 1-12- but still pretty bad. The team cannot close in the two years since he's been here. I'm willing to give him one more year to turn things around, but I wouldn't be all that sad if they fired him.

ATL pretty much nailed it. You are incorrect on several points.

First off, Carolina's defense is 10th overall. Hardly sucking.

Secondly, their secondary does indeed suck overall, but Chris Gamble is a pro-bowl caliber CB, he just got hurt.

D-Will has fallen off big-time after we paid him, got that one right.

As ATL said, Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy combine for a pretty good pass rush, with the new Edwards wall in the middle :p, (Dwan and Ron), Carolina's front four is decent enough. Beason got hurt again this year, I wouldn't call him useless, although he is if he can't stay healthy I guess. Thomas Davis, James Anderson, and Master Luke make a great LB corps, when all three are on the field at the same time.

The reason why I can and do blame Rivera is that 5-13 record in games decided by 8 or less points, (1 score). Not as bad as the one they throw out all the time- the 7 points or less one, where he is like 1-12- but still pretty bad. The team cannot close in the two years since he's been here. I'm willing to give him one more year to turn things around, but I wouldn't be all that sad if they fired him.

The only one I will concede is the pass rush. And they dont have consistent pass rush. The few games I have watch (granted about 5 is what I think I have. It is either a sack or all day. The others I think are completely valid.

Carolina's Defense was 13th in PPG and 20th in total Points given up.

Chris Gamble is indeed good, pro-bowl worthy...maybe.

And don't get me wrong I have love for my Miami boy's but beason is one of those guys that you know if he could ever stay healthy he would be a force but he can't which makes him null and void in the conversation.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

The only one I will concede is the pass rush. And they dont have consistent pass rush. The few games I have watch (granted about 5 is what I think I have. It is either a sack or all day. The others I think are completely valid.

Carolina's Defense was 13th in PPG and 20th in total Points given up.

Chris Gamble is indeed good, pro-bowl worthy...maybe.

And don't get me wrong I have love for my Miami boy's but beason is one of those guys that you know if he could ever stay healthy he would be a force but he can't which makes him null and void in the conversation.

But we're talking about a pro-bowl MLB. It's not like Beason has never been a force, he's just been hurt the past two years. Other than that, he's been pretty solid.

Carolina has the #8 pass defense in the NFL, I don't think that we can both have a terrible secondary AND no pass rush, and yet somehow be #8 in the league against the pass. Not sure how we could pull that off.

But we're talking about a pro-bowl MLB. It's not like Beason has never been a force, he's just been hurt the past two years. Other than that, he's been pretty solid.

Carolina has the #8 pass defense in the NFL, I don't think that we can both have a terrible secondary AND no pass rush, and yet somehow be #8 in the league against the pass. Not sure how we could pull that off.

Oh I agree that Beason HAS been a force I am not sure you could really argue that point. I am jusst saying that he is doing you guys defense no good on the sidelines. He has been hurt more often than not throughout his career. I really feel for the guy to because I always liked the dude. I think he is not somebody you can really depend on at this point. However if he does regain form in the next year or two Carolina can still get some really good years out of him. I would put my money on the Jedi however.

And man I dont know. They are 20th in total points, 13 th in points per game 13th or 14th in sacks and yet the weakest unit you have is 8th overall. I am sure there is a reason and I will investigate it more rest assured, but as of now I am not sure how that happens.

ESPN's John Clayton reported on SportsCenter Friday that Ron Rivera is likely to stay on as Panthers head coach.

We're often leery of posting Clayton's stories because he relies heavily on dot-connecting at this point in his reporting career, but he seems to genuinely have some information this time around. "People inside the building think that (Rivera) is going to be able to stay," Clayton said. Rivera and owner Jerry Richardson are meeting on Saturday, which will essentially be a job interview for the incumbent head coach. The Panthers are tentatively expected to hire Giants exec Dave Gettleman as general manager, and apparently he'll be on board. Or, Richardson will at least strongly encourage him to be on board.

Rivera deserves to stay, he should fire his dog shit DC though.

His DC has a 10th ranked overall defense. Not exactly terrible.

Not a fan. I don't think the head coach is the problem in Carolina. It's obviously just a case of the team under-achieving what their capable of. I think the entire deal makes a little sense though because of all the new management that will be coming in.

Perhaps the Panthers are really interested in Chip Kelly? If so, I think that would be his best option of all the offers he's looking at. Cam Newton is the perfect quarterback for any sort of system Kelly would be likely to put in place for an offense.