DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Will Jennings leave?

Article is kinda old, but no Jennings topic so, wth.

Jennings is a free agent after the season, putting his Packers future in serious doubt. Jennings was asked if he believed he'd be back in Green Bay during a Tuesday appearance on the "Double Coverage" podcast with Steve Wyche and Mark Kriegel.

"An educated guess? ... I'm gonna lean to the 'no' side of it," Jennings said. "That's my educated guess, my personal educated guess."

Given the opportunity, Jennings would like to stay with the Packers.

"Absolutely. I definitely, if I had a choice, me, if it was just my decision, my decision only, absolutely I would be here in a heartbeat," he said. "Wouldn't want to leave at all, but obviously it's two sides, so the Packers are gonna do what's best for them and hopefully I'm what's best.

Relive every game this season online and on-demand with enhanced viewing features, including the "All-22" coaches film. Get NFL Game Rewind.

"But, if not, then I have 31 other teams that hopefully I can show them my résumé and then walk into the door and start back over."

Source

Is he as good as gone after the year's over? How much of a difference will it make, and where could he end up?

idk if I trust Jennings if I'm not running a defense similar to the Bears version of Tampa 2

This is one of those dudes I would love the Ravens to grab. We are in cap hell now. As tru as this is I believe it is Ray's last year which gives us 6 mil, Matt Birk will give us 3.5, Ed Reed leavin (fingers crossed) would give us 10 mil off the books, and hopefully we dont resign oher. I think all of those happen but Reed and I can guarantee you he wont be getting a contract worth 10 mil in the first year. Not to mention that all the rest of the shit players leaving.

We should have enough cap room for the guy and would pair very well with Boldin and Torrey. He also seems like a guy Ozzie would grab. I am hopeful, but history says I am going to experience a let down.

Bring him to Cleveland please. We need all the weapons we can get and Little would be much better off just being a slot WR. I'd feel much better about a Jennings-Gordon-Little WR corp.

Sb.... Wrong jennings... >_>

Ohhh, Jennings would be a big time upgrade on the Eagles and on almost any team in the league, but I really wouldn't want to give a big contract to a guy who is aging and always seems to be hurt in someway. Somebody will pay him though.

If we were going to make a splash signing, it'd be for a receiver... but we already have Decker and Thomas, Jennings just doesn't seem like he'd settle for being third on the depth chart even if he's a monster in the slot. I'd rather have Welker though.

He is guaranteed to be gone unless he goes to the Packers and tells them he is willing to take a MASSIVE cut in salary. I don't see that happening. He signed a medium length contract last time aroudn so that he could go after another big contract while he was still in his prime.

We have Clay Matthews and Aaron Rodgers who are going to demand top of their position type money. Then you have Raji who is overrated but still worth a decent amount of cash. And I want Sam Shields signed to a big deal as well. He's worth every penny.

Unfortunately for him, he hasn't been able to healthy these last two years, which is going to hurt his value. I think he is going to be attracted to a team with a great QB and system in place. New England or Denver namely. Miami might be a favorite with Joe Philbin down there, and Oakland might even make a run at him.

He should be gone, Jones and Cobb have become electric. Jennings would be a regretted contract down the line. Lock up Jordy long term.

Considering all the free agents we have to account for in the offseason I don't see Jennings staying with the Packers.

He could go to Pittsburgh if the actually get rid of Wallace.

He'll take his talents to south beach imo.

Either way, I'd be a happy panda with GB going into training camp with Finley and Jennings gone. Unless if they get replaced with better players. Then i'd be sad.

He'll take his talents to south beach imo.

Either way, I'd be a happy panda with GB going into training camp with Finley and Jennings gone. Unless if they get replaced with better players. Then i'd be sad.

What's the likelihood of that?

What's the likelihood of that?

With the Packers and their ability to draft/develop talent... it isn't put of the question.

People can say what they want about Finley but he's still extremely talent with a huge catch radius. And with Jennings, the talent is still their to be a great number 2. An NFC north rival losing talent is a positive in my book though.

It's unlikely we fill the void with two players that are as or more talented than those two. But guess what, I don't think it matters.

Finley is a talented guy but... Is inconsistent, drops too many balls, has a huge mouth and not the greatest locker room guy. He isn't needed. I have said this since we drafted DJ Williams. He might not be as explosive. But the output very well could be very similar. Add to the fact that Williams is younger, cheaper, more consistent, and quieter... I see no reason to keep Finley. He needs a change of scenery I think. He needs somebody to make him the focus of an offensive attack. He can be GREAT. But he needs an entire offense and coaching staff behind him

Unlike Finley, Jennings is a GREAT person. However, the way the Packers operate on offense... We have a new target or focus every single year so that defenses can't key in on one guy. Greg hasn't truly been featured in our offense for a few years now. We don't use him like other teams use their #1's. That is no fault of his mind you, just the way we work on offense.

The way we work on offense, we can survive without our #1 threat. Aaron is better when he is spreading the ball out anyway, IMO. The Packers realize that WRs and TEs don't win you Super Bowls. Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and Andre Johnson have how many Super Bowls? Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez have how many Super Bowls?

Obviously great players at those positions are a great luxury... but we know how to survive without them. And I shall actually predict that our offense is better next year.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I could see him doing well on a team where there's a Romo/Witten dynamic where he just gets a ton of reps.

With the emergence of Cobb and Jones I really don't think they bring him back. He would look nice in Purple and Gold. :yep:

He definitely bolstered his value with this game against Minny. I would like to see Green Bay keep him as he makes this offense better but I doubt it happens. He will cost too much, I will root for him as long as he doesn't go to a rival.

He definitely bolstered his value with this game against Minny. I would like to see Green Bay keep him as he makes this offense better but I doubt it happens. He will cost too much, I will root for him as long as he doesn't go to a rival.

It just doesn't make sense to keep him. He shined tonight back in his natural slot position. What happens when Randall comes back?

He had an exceptional game. But it doesn't change anything.

It just doesn't make sense to keep him. He shined tonight back in his natural slot position. What happens when Randall comes back?

He had an exceptional game. But it doesn't change anything.

I know what you're saying, and it doesn't make sense but to me it seems like Jennings is more consistent than other receivers and he has a great attitude. If he could play outside more and succeed, I would take him over Nelson or Jones but they will probably be cheaper.

Doubt he returns but is there really an doubt as to whether he can succeed on the outside? He played on the outside since he got into the league and only went to the slot recently with Nelson going outside. He dominates, when healthy, no matter where he lines up. I'm really gonna miss his crazy YAC when he's gone because I've watched Nelson, I've watched Jones, Cobb, Driver (be gone), etc. and none of them can dink, dunk, and dive their way through defenders to get yardage like Jennings has done in the past and will continue to do for whatever team he is on next year.

And for the record, Rodgers' contract ends after the 2014 season (2 years from now) and Raji and Matthews end after 2013 (next season). Jennings is the only big contract the Packers would have to sign RIGHT NOW. This has been fact for...idk a couple years now and people still seem to bring up those other 3 guys as reasons he won't be signed (yes I know, looking forward we gotta save money for em). Although we're paying a lot of guys (Hawk, Woodson, Finley, and perhaps Pickett) more money than they deserve at this point. I hope to see Hawk take a massive paycut or better yet just get the fuck out of here and make room for a real linebacker, Woodson take a pay cut, Finley...I won't say anything cuz I've been pleased with him lately...and Pickett's been doing good but at his age are we really risking ~$6Million on him not getting injured? He's been injured frequently in the past.

Tramon is being overpaid as well. He's definitely our best cornerback but likely won't be for too long and he's earning $7Million this year (can't find next years numbers though).

A semi-rambling post but what am I trying to say? The money for Jennings is there it's just being used to pay worthless players who are no longer contributing to this team in a sufficient manner that would justify their earnings. The franchise tag is an option but unlikely as that only delays his contract into a year where we HAVE to sign Matthews and probably Raji too. Jennings is gonna do great wherever he goes. Probably gonna be somewhere I hate. Seems like every player I like ends up leaving and going to a rival team of sorts ehem Minnesota. :disgust:

It's the right thing to do as far as Raji and Matthews go. They are still working on their rookie deals and have long since outplayed them. They should be getting extensions this offseason if they indeed have one year left.

Rodgers is a little different. He has also outplayed his contract, but does have a few years left. The difference with him, though.. He's said numerous times he doesn't care about the money. He's not all about being that #1 guy. If it happens, fine. But he isn't going to push for it. It could allow us to do some other things as far as the cap goes.. Absolutely...

Bob McGinn of the JS wrote an article a little while ago, where it might be feasible that 4 of the Packers top 6 contract come off the books this year.

Not in any order... Jennings, Finley, Woodson, and Hawk.

The problem is.. Even with the money of those guy POSSIBLY coming off the books (You can't guarantee me Woodson is gone nor Hawk, and maybe not even Finley) is Jennings really worth that much to US? He is certainly supremely gifted and will play very well for any team he signs with, IMO. But is he really going to be worth the money to us? A team who has proven they can win and thrive without him?

Would our money be better spent on other areas of need?

I really like watching Boykin and Jeremy Ross, too.

We HAVE to get Marshall Newhouse out of there... Whether that means drafting Jake Matthews in the 1st (YES PLEASE), letting Sherrod get in there finally (is he STILL recovering?) or signing somebody.. I don't know.

Maybe we could go after Steven Jackson. He won't be THAT expensive. And pairing him with DeJuan Harris would be AWESOME.

We also need another fatty. Who knows when Pickett is going to retire, but man he does a lot for us on that line. If he were to leave, I have no idea who would help out as much as he does. And nobody else is capable of playing NT effectively, IMO.

Sam Shields also deserves a nice extension.

Jennings is a great wide receiver, but I don't really think the Packers need him. They aren't going to toss a crap load of money at a guy that they can replace with someone on their roster. The Packers are stacked at wide receiver. I think they'll offer him something, but I don't think it will be anything huge.

We HAVE to get Marshall Newhouse out of there... Whether that means drafting Jake Matthews in the 1st (YES PLEASE), letting Sherrod get in there finally (is he STILL recovering?) or signing somebody.. I don't know.

Cannot wait til Newhouse is gone but is drafting another tackle the answer? Need to see how Sherrod is or maybe keep Barclay at RT and move Bulaga to LT or the other way around. Right now, I would rather see Green Bay draft Barrett Jones and have him as our future center.