Dutch

Adrian Peterson wants to return kick offs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121255/article/adrian-peterson-to-return-kicks-for-minnesota-vikings

Adrian Peterson's workload over the last month has been somewhere between outrageous and Larry Johnson-under-Herm Edwards. Peterson has only grown more productive as the regular season wore on. But he wants to do more.

Peterson said Wednesday he'll suggest to Minnesota Vikings coaches that he should get on the field-goal block team and return kickoffs Saturday night in an NFC wild-card matchup against the Green Bay Packers.

"For the past two years, I've been trying to get in on field-goal block. Come in off the edge, you know?" Peterson said, via The Associated Press. It's just going to take one block for them to really be like, 'OK, you know what? Let's take the chance and let you go out there and get it done.' Kickoff return, I wouldn't mind getting back there. I'm in it to win."

Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer says he has asked coach Leslie Frazier about the idea often, but Frazier shoots it down. So it's a long shot. Then again ...

Wild Card Weekend

The playoffs are finally here. Take a closer look at the wild-card matchups that will kick off the action:

» Bengals at Texans

» Vikings at Packers

» Colts at Ravens

» Seahawks at Redskins

On Twitter: #NFLPlayoffs

"We would show him exactly where the return is supposed to hit and let him do his magic," Priefer said. "There's absolutely an opportunity for him to go back there, I would think, in a crucial situation."

Peterson's role on special teams probably will be minimal or non-existent. But it would be so cool to see him returning a kick late in the fourth quarter with a game on the line. Peterson isn't worried about the pounding he has taken over the last month. Heck, he has delivered more punishment than he has taken.

"My body feels great," Peterson said. "I could play for 12 more games if I had to. Seriously."

After Peterson's knee injury last season, we never imagined he'd be playing this week. We're not doubting Peterson's ability to do just about anything at this stage.

Any HC would probably be scared to put their franchise RB to field kicks seeing as though the play injury rate of kick offs is exceedingly high, but the way this guy runs.... I could see something big happening. Ofcourse returning kicks and running the rock are two completely different things, but A.P is such a rare and raw talent. Just having the ball in his hands period with his speed, strong running, agility and vision seems it would be a scary thought for opposing teams. It would be awesome to see Adrian Peterson returning kicks in the 4th quarter if they didn't have the lead against the Packers. Having the ball in his hands period seems it would give the Vikings a better chance to win. If you were the HC and you were down in the 4th quarter against the Packers, would you allow your franchise RB (your best and most talented player) to field kick offs since Percy Harvin is hurt?

Maybe if they need a spark.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He'd be damn good at it if given the chance. He's not the shiftiest guy but he can make you miss and everyone knows he can run right over you with the speed to outrun everyone on the field. I'd like to see him back there once or twice against Green Bay this weekend.

He'd be damn good at it if given the chance. He's not the shiftiest guy but he can make you miss and everyone knows he can run right over you with the speed to outrun everyone on the field. I'd like to see him back there once or twice against Green Bay this weekend.

You just got here and you make that statement about Adrian Peterson?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

^according to him he has all the best running attributes of all the GOATs so it'd be easy.

Anyway, I wish the Vikings would put him back there. His body may feel good now bit 5-6 years from now we'll see.

Adrian Peterson isn't the shiftiest guy.. He is no Barry Sanders. That is just obvious. But of course, he has some NICE moves. His cuts are so clean, crisp, and quick that he makes guys miss. Mixed in with his strength and you have like an unstoppable force.

I really don't want him returning kicks though. So risky. I want to take Randall Cobb off returns...

Maybe if they need a spark.

Yeah I wouldn't argue with that, but other than that it's way too much of a risk. I'd hate to see the Vikings offense without Peterson. They'd be so fucked.

He returned some kicks in his rookie year and was fairly successful but he is way too valuable to this team to risk it.

Yeah... I'm not sure that I feel comfortable with this.

Thanks but no thanks to this. Peterson would be fun to watch on returns. But RBs already have a short NFL Life and this would only make it shorter. AP is the Vikings Offense right now and if he went down on a return, everyone would question what if.

In a situation like the Panthers were in when Steve Smith was young, I'd do it as a last resort with a playoff game on the line. There's no way that I'd make a habit of it though. Not a chance. Goodell is trying to get rid of kickoffs altogether—as laughable as that is, but not the topic at hand—because it's widely referred to as the most dangerous play in an already dangerous game. Putting your best player back there and holding him up to that kind of risk on a regular basis is just asinine.imo

I'm not sure they want to risk getting him injured.

He just got back this season from an injury nobody thought he would be the same after. Returning kick-offs is just an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

AP does great with guys coming at him from what, 20yds away? But have those guys coming from the opposite side of the field and see what results we get. I don't think that just because he's a talented running back, that means he's the best choice for kickoff return. Plus it could start to take away from his performance as running back. He already has a huge work load, and now this? As someone else said, maybe once or twice to provide a spark for the team but really no more than that. The guy does his part, let someone else do theirs.

And I find it entertaining to read about him being too big of an asset to the team to put on kickoffs. It's like we're okay with others being expendable but if it's a big time player? No way, put in one of bench receivers who we won't miss if injured.

• Upvote 1

He'd be awesome at it. However, you don't do that with your teams most valuable player. Can't risk the injury.