Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

What should the Seahawks do with Matt Flynn?

Well, Russell Wilson has had a great rookie season and he looks to be the future QB. Now, the Seahawks have Matt Flynn and his hefty contract sitting on the bench. What should they do? Trade him? Cut him? Keep him incase Wilson gets hurt (he does run a lot)?

Flynn's salary is way too much for a backup quarterback, so I think Seattle has to try to trade him. They may not get more than a mid-round pick for him, but it's better than nothing.

Flynn's salary is way too much for a backup quarterback, so I think Seattle has to try to trade him. They may not get more than a mid-round pick for him, but it's better than nothing.

while that's very true, the fact that their starter is on a rookie contract for at least another year (maybe more, I'm not sure what a 3d round pick gets now) means they can spend a little more on their backup, the biggest question to me is will Flynn be okay as a backup? I wouldn't be surprised if he demands a trade, but then again, could he really turn down millions to sit on the bench? I'd deal him if he asks for it, but if he's alright backing up Wilson I'd hold on to him as long as I could, you've gotta have a good backup in today's NFL

• Upvote 1

If they don't intend to start him then I think the Seahawks should trade him. I'm sure there are teams out there that would like to have a solid QB run their offense and would be willing to take on his contract.

This QB draft class is beyond poor. There are many teams that need a QB, and Matt Flynn has little experience, but you never know what you'll get from a rookie QB.

He's a backup QB anyway. Just keep him, it never hurts to have a good backup.

Although judging by this weak draft class, there's probably a market for him. Wouldn't trade him for higher then a 3rd.

I think he is worth keeping even if it is a bit of an over payment Wilson might get hurt he is very careful but all it takes is one hit might want to have a similar back up to Wilson though.

If they don't intend to start him then I think the Seahawks should trade him. I'm sure there are teams out there that would like to have a solid QB run their offense and would be willing to take on his contract.

If the Chiefs were willing to give Cassel 10 mill per, I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking Flynn for that price. Ship him to KC for a 3rd rounder.

They should get 2 draft picks for him.

The Seahaks are going to have to pay Sherman and Thomas and a bunch of other guys. They can't sink too much money into a back up QB. Trading Flynn could net them a pick to try and prepare for the departure of some of their young guys down the line.

the idea that you can't pay a backup big money is based on faulty logic at this point because, as I mentioned above, Wilson, the starter, is a minuscule cap hit, he's only getting paid 480k base next year and only counts 634,850 against the cap, because of that Flynn's contract isn't unmanageable at all, Flynn is getting 5.25M with a cap hit of 7.25M, meaning their top two QBs won't even count 8M against the cap, I haven't looked up every team, but I don't think that's too far off average, so if the Seahawks trade Flynn it won't be because they can't pay him that much to sit on the bench

Edited by oochymp

I'm all for trading for any pick really

I'd keep him. It's really in reverse if you think about it. Flynn has the contract that Russell should have (in a sense) and Russell has the contract that a back up would have. So financial wise, it doesn't hurt anyone. Russell will be sitting on his rookie contract for a while and as we've all seen, having a serviceable back up QB is a MUST in this league.

Lol at the idea of the Seahawks benching him for a year and getting a pick when the Packers took years to develop him and got nothing. Epic Fail.

Trade Flynn while the gettin is good. This QB class is awful, someone is going to want him. We may be able to sign someone like Matt Moore to be our back up.

I've seen some speculation that he could be traded to Kansas City. If Andy Reid likes him (and he is a fit for the WCO), I could see it. Especially considering the Chiefs have nothing else at QB.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Coach Pete Carroll admitted that Matt Flynn could be moved this offseason.

Flynn was signed to a $19.5 million contract last March, but lost the starting job to Russell Wilson. Now Carroll is hinting that he wants a backup quarterback with a similar skill set to Wilson so there will be smooth transition should the starter go down. Flynn is a pure West Coast passer, not a mobile playmaker. "As we move forward we're going to figure it out. ... It would be nice to have another guy that might be able to be a factor that way. There's some really good kids out there. We'll see." Jan 15 - 10:37 AM

Source: Tacoma News Tribune