AllYouNeedIsLovie

How long will RG3 last in the NFL?

13 members have voted

1. 1. How long does RG3 last?

• 3-5 seasons
    • 5-8 seasons
    • 8-12 seasons
    • over 12 seasons

RG3 is a very mobile QB as we all know, but he isn't exactly the biggest guy out there. He took A LOT of very big hits this season, and I expect that to continue if the Redskins continue to use him like they are. How long do you think he lasts in the NFL?

5-8 years. I'd be really shocked if he lasted longer than 6 years to be honest.

Shocked people are giving him 5 - 8 years. He's already got knee injury history, and he's a rushing quarterback. I'll be surprised if he remains as dominant as he was this year for THREE years. He's going to sustain a major injury, however terrible that sounds, that will knock him out of the game if he keeps up.

I'm in the minority but I'll say 8-12 years. Even if his knee injuries accumulate to the point where he's totally immobile, he's still gifted enough of a passer to be successful in the NFL. And if he stops running, he stops getting hurt.

If he keeps running as often as he has I don't see him being around for a long career. I've heard a lot of people and coaches talk about running QB's and it seems to be pretty universally accepted that these running QB's eventually have to be transitioned into a more pass-heavy QB to lessen risk of injury.

I think the smart thing to do for more run-heavy QB's, is to allow them to play as they are for the first season to acclimate to the NFL while still being able to help their team win games in the most impactful way possible. After that, take a portion of these college style option plays out and put more that are NFL style and pass-focused in. This will probably lead to worse overall play at first, and people will probably mislabel it as a "sophomore slump" but ultimately I think it's the best thing for these more run-focused QB's. Now I don't think doing this would actually work for most running QB's, but RGIII is a pretty good passer so if anyone can make a transition like this, he can.

If the Redskins do what they should do, I'd say the high end of 8-12 seasons.

• Upvote 1

I think he'll last 8-12 seasons. He has a lot of time to recover for next season and I'm sure Shanahan realized what's wrong so I think he'll change the play-calling a bit,with more passing and less running. That will probably keep RG3 healthy.

I am saying 6 years. His mobility is paramount to his success. Yeah we have seen him throw some good passes. However the question becomes when they are not having to commit people to him running will he be as successful I say no. I think once he is strictly limited to the pocket he is not going to be the successful passer that people see now.

And once his mobility is gone it is a whole new world of suck. Instead of getting hit by 250 pound lb's at the scond level of the defense, team are going to be able to pin their ears back and send some of those big ugly's after him. He is going to be looking at guys like Allen, Ngata, Smith...and so on...not good for him.

8-12 seasons. Vick lasted that long and RG3 is way more talented.

If he keeps running as often as he has I don't see him being around for a long career. I've heard a lot of people and coaches talk about running QB's and it seems to be pretty universally accepted that these running QB's eventually have to be transitioned into a more pass-heavy QB to lessen risk of injury.

I think the smart thing to do for more run-heavy QB's, is to allow them to play as they are for the first season to acclimate to the NFL while still being able to help their team win games in the most impactful way possible. After that, take a portion of these college style option plays out and put more that are NFL style and pass-focused in. This will probably lead to worse overall play at first, and people will probably mislabel it as a "sophomore slump" but ultimately I think it's the best thing for these more run-focused QB's. Now I don't think doing this would actually work for most running QB's, but RGIII is a pretty good passer so if anyone can make a transition like this, he can.

If the Redskins do what they should do, I'd say the high end of 8-12 seasons.

This^ I'd like to see RG III go at least 8-10 years, but realistically, if nothing changes, 5-7.

If the passing ability is there, 10+; if it's not, ~6.

He has had surgery 3 times on the same knee I believe, that is not good at all for his career. He isn't a terrible passer, but how good can he be when he can't scramble around to by time. He may have a good arm, but history is not on the scrambling Qbs side.

As far as his knee goes...that is an obvious fairly major concern...three significant injuries on the same knee...ouch...

Per PFT:

Report: Robert Griffin III out 6-8 months with complete ACL, LCL tears

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 9, 2013, 1:41 AM EST

The final diagnosis appears to be in for Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Griffin will undergo “total reconstruction” surgery early Wednesday morning to repair complete tears to his ACL and LCL. Dr. James Andrews will perform the surgery and he is expected to miss six to eight months. Mortensen reported at 1:03 a.m. ET that the surgery would take place in “about six hours” placing the actual time of the surgery somewhere around 7 a.m. ET.

Griffin left Sunday’s Wild Card game against the Seattle Seahawks in the fourth quarter after his right knee bent awkwardly trying to reel in a poor snap. It was already expected that Griffin was going to undergo surgery for at least partial tears of both ligaments but the extent of the damage appears to be greater than first thought.

The timetable of the injury could mean Griffin is ready to go in time for training camp in late July or that he could still be sidelined when the season begins in September.

If Shanny and son decide to keep running that offense, they need to have RGIII bulk up some and severely strengthen that knee or he could be out and done sooner rather than later...

Edited by BucD

Anyone who thinks that RG3 is going to continue taking risks and getting hit like he did this year is off their rocker. He will always be a scrambler, but even this season with the exception of designed QB runs, he rarely looked to run first. He was almost always running through his progressions, moving out of the pocket, looking through his progressions again and then tucking and running.

He is a very good passer, and in my opinion, should be considered more of a pocket QB who has the gift of speed. I watched nearly every game this season and I saw a QB who, even without his mobility, throws a very accurate ball and could just as successful staying in the pocket as he was during the current season.

• Upvote 2

Anyone who thinks that RG3 is going to continue taking risks and getting hit like he did this year is off their rocker. He will always be a scrambler, but even this season with the exception of designed QB runs, he rarely looked to run first. He was almost always running through his progressions, moving out of the pocket, looking through his progressions again and then tucking and running.

He is a very good passer, and in my opinion, should be considered more of a pocket QB who has the gift of speed. I watched nearly every game this season and I saw a QB who, even without his mobility, throws a very accurate ball and could just as successful staying in the pocket as he was during the current season.

This x2000000

The guy is an excellent passer. The Skins use the designed run, to take advantage of his physical abilities. But he doesn't need the running to make him great.

Plus, let's be real. Medicine today is greater then ever before, and we see people come back greater then ever from them. You just hope he and the redskins learn from this and can adjust acordingly to minimize the excessive hits.