Vin

Seahawks @ Falcons

Even with the surging Seattle Seahawks standing in the way, the Atlanta Falcons are confident they can end their recent playoff struggles.

The top-seeded Falcons look to avoid a fifth consecutive playoff defeat while the Seahawks try to continue their postseason run with a seventh straight victory in Sunday's NFC divisional contest at the Georgia Dome.

Atlanta (13-3) is 56-24 in five seasons under coach Mike Smith, but 0-3 in the playoffs over the previous four. The Falcons have totaled 441 yards and allowed 884 while being outscored 72-23 in their last two playoff contests, including a 48-21 loss to Green Bay two years ago when they also held the NFC's top seed.

Though the Falcons' playoff futility has been a dark cloud hanging over Smith's otherwise successful tenure, they believe they've learned from the past playoff.

"We're a much more mature team because of our experiences," Smith said. "I think you learn from your previous experiences in the playoffs. This is a team that has been very focused from the very beginning of the season and we've got a lot of guys who have experienced the playoff atmosphere. They're going to be able to help some of the younger guys who haven't."

Paced by quarterback Matt Ryan, receivers Roddy White and Julio Jones, and future Hall-of-Fame tight end Tony Gonzalez, the Falcons were sixth in the NFL in passing (281.8 yards per game) and seventh in scoring (26.2 points). Ryan tied Peyton Manning with a league-best 68.6 completion percentage and recorded career highs of 4,719 yards and 32 touchdowns under first-year offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

Ryan's teammates are confident he'll be that same quarterback and not the one who averaged 194.7 yards, threw three TDs, four picks and was sacked 10 times while posting a 71.2 rating and 0-3 playoff record.

White feels Ryan, who threw four TDs and one INT while winning at Seattle in 2010 and 2011, has "been mentally prepared throughout the whole season for this stretch run."

"He knows we have to win a playoff game," White added. "Everybody knows that, and not to put any pressure on him, but I just think that at this point in the season, everybody knows they have to play their best football right now."

White and Jones combined for 171 catches with 2,549 yards and 17 touchdowns while Gonzalez is coming off the most productive of his four regular seasons in Atlanta with 93 receptions for 930 yards and eight TDs.

Under first-year defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, Atlanta tied for fifth in the league with Seattle and Washington with 31 takeaways.

Despite his team's recent playoff history, Smith does not plan to change much.

"To me it's no different than any other game," he said. "It's 100 percent on our football team to go out and play our best. We feel like we accomplished what we needed to accomplish to get here and we are looking forward to playing against Seattle."

Though Atlanta has won three straight against the Seahawks (12-5), the visitors are filled with confidence heading into the teams' first postseason meeting.

After winning its final five regular-season contests, Seattle overcame a 14-0 deficit to snap an eight-game road playoff skid with a 24-14 victory at Washington last Sunday. The Seahawks are in the midst of their longest winning stretch since an 11-game run Oct. 9-Dec. 24, 2005.

"We haven't been as solid as we are now," coach Pete Carroll said. "We're much more solid in our thinking and mentality and just the resolve about everything we're doing."

Though the Seahawks will be without sack leader Chris Clemons (torn ACL), it was a group effort that helped them allow 15.3 points per contest, the fewest in the league. Their stout defense, which features big cornerbacks Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman, against Atlanta's potent passing attack figures to be the game's most intriguing matchup.

"I might be in the minority, but I look at it as strength on strength," Koetter said. "Heck, let's go. They've got a good defense, and we have a good offense. I know their team is running hot right now, and I know our guys are looking forward to the challenge."

While the Seahawks try to join the 1989 Los Angeles Rams as the only West Coast teams to win back-to-back playoff games on the East Coast, the Falcons don't think travel will make their opponent any less formidable.

"It's not like they're going to be going to the moon or anything," tackle Tyson Clabo said. "They have a schedule they follow when they travel and I'm sure they're going to keep it the same."

Seattle started 1-5 on the road before outscoring Chicago, Buffalo and the Redskins 97-48 to win the last three away from home. Paced by Pro Bowler Marshawn Lynch and rookie quarterback Russell Wilson, the Seahawks have averaged 223.3 rushing yards in those contests.

Lynch, who tied a franchise playoff record with 132 yards on 20 carries at Washington, has averaged 116.8 and 6.9 per carry while topping 100 yards in each of the last five contests.

Wilson threw for 187 yards with a TD and rushed eight times for 67 last week. The Falcons know they are in for a challenge trying to stop Wilson, who passed for 3,118 yards and ran for 489 while posting a 100.0 passer rating - fourth in the NFL - during the regular season.

Wilson threw 17 TDs and just two INTs over his final nine games, and his 116.9 passer rating since November is the league's best.

"You have to keep covering guys for a long time on the back end," said Nolan, whose defense ranked 21st in rushing at 123.2 yards per game. "That's one of the tougher things about him because when he's running around, you'd better stay with your man."

Clemons, meanwhile, wasn't the only Seahawk to suffer a season-ending injury against the Redskins. Seattle on Wednesday signed veteran kicker Ryan Longwell after placing Steven Hauschka on injured reserve with a calf injury.

Hauschka made all 23 attempts from inside 50 yards this season. Longwell, who last kicked with Minnesota in 2011, is 17 of 23 on field-goal attempts in the playoffs throughout his 15-year career.

Copyright 2013 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

Faggy Ice finally gets his first playoff victory.

31-20, Falcons.

I'm going with the Falcons here. They are home and I think Mike Smith will have this team ready to play. As long as they're on their game, the Falcons should be able to beat the Seahawks. I honestly wasn't too impressed with them last week.

I don't want Charlie to leave. Falcons win.

I'm just going to put a final score, because I could go on and on and on about how much this game means to us, and how the Seahawaks will make it a good game but won't rival our intensity in any way shape or form.

:Falcons: 31

:Seahawks: 21

It's no doubt that the pressure is mainly on the Falcons the notorious one and done all stars :troll: Not a lot of pressure on the Seahawks because their expectations weren't high. With all that said, I'm going to have to go with the Falcons in this one. They have seemed to make a step to becoming a better team. Granted, it is a "regular" season step (lol) but I think they step up to this challenge and defeat that one and done identity that haunts their franchise.

:Falcons: 31

:Seahawks: 24

I'm picking the Falcons but be warned. If the Falcons go one and done again, Falcons fans across the map will never hear the end of it from me.

Seahawks will make it a game, but the Falcons will pull away towards the end.

:Falcons: 35

:Seahawks: 24

The Seahawks blow ass. But they are going to win this game.

24 - 21

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My player to watch for this game: Harry Douglas

I think Douglas could be the X factor in this game. With Browner and Sherman on Julio and Roddy, I think Douglas will step it up and have a good game. Marcus Trufant kind of sucks...

My player to watch for this game: Harry Douglas

I think Douglas could be the X factor in this game. With Browner and Sherman on Julio and Roddy, I think Douglas will step it up and have a good game. Marcus Trufant kind of sucks...

Him and Jacquizz Rodgers need to come through on Sunday...they are ultimately the key.

Apparently Marshawn Lynch has missed two straight practices this week with a foot injury. Concern out of Seattle right now is that it's a sprained foot (rumor) but no comments have been made about it by anyone official. (So I'm not sure how they got that sprained foot information). He should suit up and play, no way can I see him missing this game. It's just a question if we see "beast mode" or "least mode" at this point.

Falcons have been being shit on all week by the media saying because they have never won a playoff game in the past, they can't win one now. That logic is fine and all, but no one ever has before they have.

Haven't even turned on ESPN or NFL network...this city is literally on edge for this Sunday. The media knows very little about this team...and for that they can all go fuck themselves. This is a very different team than previous years..and it seems that the only people that realize that live in this city. Fuck the media if we win...because I guarantee a majority will have a change of heart...and I don't want to hear their fucking voices if they've been saying shit for a long time about us.

Marshawn Lynch has also had back spasms all year long that have kept him out of practice he will play.

Everybody seems to think Atlanta is winning so no I know the Seahawks rape.

Seattle 38 Atlanta 17

• Downvote 1

Seattle 38 Atlanta 17

Huh? Majority of fans and media think Seattle will win.

Seattle 38 Atlanta 17

Really?

I feel like a lot of people think the Seahawks will win.

And Beast Mode will definitely be playing in this game. Like sacks said, he has been battling back spasms the entire year.

This Atlanta team is significantly better than their prior playoff appearances, and this is easily the most winnable playoff game Matt Ryan has ever had. A rookie QB coming into their dome? An inexperienced young opponent waiting to collapse under youth and inexperience?

Atlanta is going to win this game.

:Falcons: 37

:Seahawks: 21

I just feel it.

John Abraham is listed as questionable. Looks like playing their starters in week 17 may end up biting the Falcons in the ass.

This year is different. Coordinating staff has improved and our team has tremendous amounts of chemistry at this point. Matt and the Falcons will get the monkey off their back in the Dome.

Curious what kind of schemes our D will throw at Russell and the Hawks. I imagine they roll with the Nickel package most of the game as well as the "amoeba" defense as Nolan likes to call it to confuse Russell.

On offense, expect bubble screens to Julio. End around(s) to Julio. Maybe even a fucking wildcat play with Julio lined up in the backfield. There will be some plays/coverages that will be shown on Sunday that the Falcons have not displayed all season long.

Being hyped for this game is an understatement. Will be there :)

27 - 17, Falcons.

Edited by Bawseee
  • Upvote 1

Curious what kind of schemes our D will throw at Russell and the Hawks. I imagine they roll with the Nickel package most of the game as well as the "amoeba" defense as Nolan likes to call it to confuse Russell.

I imagine the Seahawks will run the ball... alot.

I imagine the Seahawks will run the ball... alot.

Yeah, well, that's obvious and will be in the D's gameplan. Sooner or later Russ is going to have to throw the ball though. I do not see our secondary getting beat. If we can contain Beast Mode and Matt has time in the pocket to pass, it's game.

It seems like just about all the analysts I follow are picking the Seahawks to win this game. Talk about giving the Falcons a chip on their shoulder. I'll still be rooting for the Seahawks but I won't be surprised to see the Falcons run away with this game. Talk all you want about the Falcons not having proved anything, but the Seahawks aren't exactly as hot as the Packers or Giants were the past couple playoffs. With a healthy RGIII they probably wouldn't even be in this game right now.

This is by far the easiest game that Matt Ryan and the Falcons will have come across in their playoff tenor so far. However, it's also a huge trap game. I don't think Sherman and Browner will give the passing game too much trouble, their tough, but Julio Jones and Roddy White have abused those two before and they can do it again.

The absolute key to the Falcons winning this game will be to get started early with scoring. The way I see it, the Falcons absolutely need to score on their first two drives of the football game regardless of what the Seahawks do. If they can get the Seahawks in "catch-up" mode like the Redskins had them in last week (Before RG3 was injured) they will be sitting in perfect position. That will give our opportunistic defense opportunities to take advantage of Russell Wilson and help extend a lead. I don't care what Seattle fans say - or anyone says - at the end of the day, Russell Wilson is a rookie quarterback. He makes mistakes like everyone else, he will make them if Atlanta stays strong.