Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Browns hire Rob Chudzinski as new HC

Browns hire Rob Chudzinski as their head coach

Posted by Josh Alper on January 10, 2013, 10:30 PM EST

The Browns took a shot at some of the biggest names in their search for a head coach, but they didn’t wind up hiring any of them.

The Browns have confirmed that they will officially introduce Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as their head coach on Friday. Chudzinski interviewed for the job this week and must have impressed Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner quite a bit to jump over some candidates considered more likely to become head coaches this offseason.

Chudzinski has been the Panthers’ offensive coordinator for the last two years and spent two years running the Browns offense in 2007 and 2008. The Browns thought they had their quarterback in the first of those seasons as Derek Anderson led the team to 10 wins, but they crashed and burned the next year to help lead to Romeo Crennel’s departure from Cleveland. He’ll need to find that quarterback to avoid a similar fate this time around.

It’s an unexpected choice in terms of the magnitude of the name after Chip Kelly, Nick Saban and others were talked about for Haslam’s first hire. We’ll hear the Browns explain why Chudzinski’s their man on Friday.

What say you Browns fans?

Edited by Julio4Ever

He was a pretty decent OC and he's familiar with the city. I was hoping for Zimmer, but I'll take Chud.

I have no reservations with this, ESPECIALLY with rumors that Norv is coming with him. Finally a legitimate pair of offensive minds.

I like it. He has had success every where he has went. His offense was pretty solid during his time here too. Norv makes this hire a lot better too. Now he has to find a solid DC and he will be set up for success

If Chud can make Derek Anderson look good, he can make Brandon Weeden look good. Question is: can he take full control of a locker room and be a successful head coach? Obviously Joe Banner thinks so; this isn't the first time he's selected a QB guru for a head coaching position. :shifty:

Wow, I completely forgot about Chud. Didn't know teams were interviewing him again. Solid hire for the Browns. They needed an offensive minded guy.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer and FOX Sports' Peter Schrager, the Browns will switch to a 3-4 "attack" defense under new head coach Rob Chudzinski.

"Trust me on the 3-4," tweeted Schrager. In other words, Dick Jauron and his 4-3 scheme are gone. It sounds like a deeply-rooted philosophical stance from Chud, even if the Browns' defensive personnel is ill-suited to the switch. The values of MLB D'Qwell Jackson, NT Phil Taylor and DT Ahtyba Rubin all go down significantly in a 3-4 scheme. How quickly the change is implemented may depend on Chud's pick for defensive coordinator.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

The strength of our D is our DLine. Switching to a 3-4 negates all the work that went into putting this defense together. I dont know why they wouldnt just keep Jauron and not try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Chud just said during his PC, that the DC will decide what D they run. Sounds like he wants a more hybrid front and not just a base 3-4 D though.

We have the youngest team in the NFL, I figured a guy with HC experience would be the most obvious choice but I was let down, again. I'll reserve judgement for now until I see him out there though. I'm glad we finally have an offenisive mind though, and I'm extremely glad that Norv will most likely be joining him at OC.

I vehemently disagree with him changing the defense though. That makes absolutely no fucking sense to me. None whatsoever.

I dont mind it. Didnt sound like there were any world beaters out there as a HC candidate. I really didnt want Zimmer. I'm glad we got an offensive minded coach, and love that we brought in Norv Turner to be OC.

We could have done worse...

I'm glad you stole Chud from Cam, hopefully it stuns his growth as a QB

IMO this was kinda lukewarm signing.

Not that I don't think he'll do well but, it could be a step in the wrong direction (then again that's always the case with a new coach).

Knowing the Browns, it will probably fail somehow. Then Chud will get fired, get a new gig and win like 10 Super Bowls.

• Upvote 1

He is going to need 2 strong coordinators. Norv Turner is a great start if that rumors are actually true. But listening to his press conference on NFL Network, I wasn't impressed. Maybe he was nervous or tired. :shrug:

I'm glad you stole Chud from Cam, hopefully it stuns his growth as a QB

Doubt it. Cam's never had the same OC twice in a row until Chud, and Chud was awful this season. Kept trying to run the read-option when it clearly wasn't working, refused to let Cam take the next step and tried to keep him tied to the college system.

I'm glad he's gone after that year.