BLUE

Next Gen Console News & Updates

I don't get this retarded logic that companies deserve a piece of these re-sold games. When you create a product, and it becomes sold...you no longer have a right to that product, the customer does. What now, are clothes companies gonna try and charge me for selling used clothes?

Agree with this 100%....Such a dumb move by sony/microsoft

Edited by SteelersNation36

http://www.ign.com/a...ll-stream-games

Not surprisingly, the PlayStation 4 rumors have been flowing as of late. With the expected reveal of the console coming this Wednesday, February 20 in New York City, it only makes sense that little bits of information would begin to emerge about what we’ll be seeing.

The newest rumor is in regard to the next PlayStation’s ability to stream games. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that “Sony Corp. is planning to offer technology to stream games to its next videogame console,” according to its own sources.

The new technology, to be unveiled Wednesday along with the new console, will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet, these people said. The streaming service, they added, is designed to use current PlayStation 3 titles on the new console; the new device is also expected to play new games stored on optical discs.

As WSJ points out, such a move on Sony’s part would be unsurprising. Even when it was drowning in red ink, it still took a massive risk when it bought streaming service Gaikai for $380 million. There is absolutely no doubt that, with an investment that significant at such a difficult time for Sony, Gaikai's technology will be poised to play an important role in Sony’s future.

Streaming games to PlayStation 4 (and perhaps other Sony devices) would be significant, giving gamers access to a wide array of titles that they never had to purchase outright. This could suggest that Sony may have a game rental-like service on its next PlayStation, or perhaps even a new subscription service that would give gamers access to a library of offerings. At this point, everything remains speculative.

We've reached out to Sony for official comment and will update when we hear back. In the meantime, catch up on all of the pertinent PlayStation 4 news and rumors, including (but not limited to) information on PS4's controller, word of a new LittleBigPlanet and the possibility of Killzone 4 being a launch title.

Not that I agree with the move, but this makes much more sense than encoding games with a "no replay" type of thing. By eliminating discs altogether, it wouldn't be possible to use them on a friend's system. Too bad the games will still be $60+, even though they won't have to incurr the cost of writing games to discs anymore.

See. I like having a physical copy. This makes me sad.

• Upvote 1

See. I like having a physical copy. This makes me sad.

M'hmm. I definitely hate this new direction. I've always loved Playstation, but I think I might be out finally.

Gonna be disappointing if the PS4 isn't announced today.

It sounds like both companies came together at a convention on how to fuck over the gamer. Taking hard copies away. Making internet mandatory. Subscriptions. Rental service.

Fuck it, I'm going back to Duke Nukem on Windows 98.

Gonna be disappointing if the PS4 isn't announced today.

Apparently it will be announced at 6PM eastern during a 90 minute event / press conference. It will be streamed live, and you can watch that here, if you want...

My link

Edited by Favre4Ever

That feed is live right now too. Andy McNamara, the editor of Game Informer is a guest. Starting in another 20 minutes.

Sony has finally decided to assume every single gamer is a pirate. Hope they go bankrupt along with anyone else who tries this crap.

They should at least keep up production of the older consoles so that we don't have to turn to this shit when our consoles run their life. I know they won't... but if they had any ethical guidance they would. Again, these are two corporations we're talking about so they don't but a man can dream... can't he?!

"Ethical" is no longer a word in Sony's vocabulary.

Lots of info so far...

- Dual Shock 4 introduced. It will have a touchpad, share button, and light bar which will work in unison with a new stereo shaped motion camera.

- First game officially announced and shown off -- Knack.

- Going to be a very personalized system... Per GT.

the #PS4 will get to know you and help you discover new content - some of which could be pre-downloaded by the system.

- Going to be able to stream your gaming live.. Let your friends watch, post comments, and even take over the controller for you if you allow.

- PS Vita has been dubbed the "true companion" of the PS4 -- allowing for remote play in which you can transfer your game from the PS4 to the Vita. The Vita will be a lot like what the Wii U controller is. It will become, essentially, a controller & screen combo.

- Lots of talk about integration between various mediums, including the Vita, computers, laptops, tablets, phones, etc etc.

- Guerilla Games is showing off their new title -- Killzone: Shadowfall

- Evolution Studios unveils their title, Drive Club, a team based racing game.

- Sucker Punch with the first PS4 exclusive -- Infamous: Second Son. Looks like a rebranding of the Infamous franchise. Very similar to a Prototype-esquee game with stronger focus on development and details.

- Another exclusive, The Witness, debuted a trailer from the creators of Braid. It seems like a philosophical type puzzle game.

- Media Molecule introducing use of the PS Move Controller with a 3D sculpting tool.

- Capcom is working on a brand new game engine code named Panta Rhei and showed off a short video on this new engine titled "Deep Down"

- Square Enix hits the stage and shows a real time cinematic which turns out to be the cinematic previously leaked. They also announce a new Final Fantasy title with no details and tell us to look for it at e3.

- Ubisoft with a new live demo of Watchdogs

- Blizzard announces that they have had a desire to get (back) into the console market and announce that Diablo 3 is coming to PS3 and PS4.

- Activision with some more footage of Destiny and shared that they will be doing some exclusive content for PS4.

- Coming in holiday season of 2013 with... no price point announced.

Edited by Favre4Ever

They should at least keep up production of the older consoles so that we don't have to turn to this shit when our consoles run their life. I know they won't... but if they had any ethical guidance they would. Again, these are two corporations we're talking about so they don't but a man can dream... can't he?!

just buy a used 360/PS3 :troll:

Instead of making a new thread, just turned this into a next gen news & updates thread. Seems like it was that anyway. :p

"So pretty..." sums up my thoughts on the PC.

Even though I've only played one Quantic Dream game, I love them. Their little tech demo filled me with great joy.

I can't help but feel we were trolled by Square Enix, show off the tech demo, say you're going to announce something else when the next SE representative comes on stage and then....nothing. Lame. Was kinda hoping to some FF news, or something.

Can't wait for Watch Dogs. Though I do hope they don't ruin it with their cross-platform stuff they're planning on doing with it. I just want to play the game, not do anything on it with my phone, etc.

A Christmas release is intriguing. I'll probably hold off on getting it for a while, but if the price is right, the launch games are good, and it's got some backwards compatibility, that might change.

On backwards compatibility via GI.

At the Sony PlayStation 4 press conference, Gaikai's Dave Perry seemed to confirm the rumors that the system would not be backwards compatible with PS3 games, but Sony has big plans to allow users access to the PlayStation back catalog.

While Perry said PS3 games are "not natively supported," that doesn't mean the extensive history of PlayStation games won't be available to users.

He did not mention specifics, but Perry claims the system's cloud service will allow users access to a wide array of past PlayStation titles at a later date. We'll have to wait on details to see which titles make the cut.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Yeah.... At this point, that does me absolutely zero good.

Sounds like PS4 won't even have a disk tray of any kind with the "not natively supported" stuff. Your PS3 games will be all but worthless unless you need a serial code or something to activate that game from the PS4 library. .All cloud stuff, which a lot of us were expecting. Unless they are moving to a different form of disk or something. But that is all indeed speculation at this point.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I would've jizzed myself if they announced Kingdom Hearts 3 with this.

What, for all eternity?

The PS2 was just discontinued earlier this year, six years after the PS3's launch. The Xbox was discontinued in 09, two years after release of the 360. I would expect this gen to follow the same pattern.

And your PS3 discs are still worthless :p

Yeah...

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

SO PRETTY

Am I the only one who felt underwhelmed by the whole "launch event"? Nothing really that made me go, wow that's cool!