housemd

Percy Harvin traded to Seahawks

Why replace him with an inferior player?

Having players that disrupt your locker room and who don't want to be there is a detriment to the entire team. You should know that, as a Jets fan. And unless the Vikings are going to trade for Fitzy or either Johnson, there really isn't anyone who they can plug in there who would be better. Do you expect them to do that? To fill Percy's potential void with a better player?

Edited by Favre4Ever

If he still performs on the field I don't care what happens off of it. Percy was having a great season before getting hurt so it obviously wasn't an issue come Sunday.

It's been reported that what landed him on IR wasn't the injury in full, but him going on a tirade and embarrassing his head coach in the middle of the locker room. He was actually taken off the field and then not allowed to play again, in part, because of his behavior and attitude.

How does that not effect Sundays? Not only that, but the Vikings went 5 - 4 with Harvin on the field and reeled off 4 consecutive victories to make the playoffs AFTER he had been put on IR.

Oh, and he is planning to hold out.

Multiple people also reported that those stories were overblown and I highly doubt that the Vikings would put their second best offensive weapon on IR over dumb shit like that when they're trying to compete. They put him on IR because he was hurt.

The Vikings won 4 straight games without Harvin because Adrian Peterson went on a historic run and completely dominated every game, not because Harvin isn't a valuable member of the team or that he was a distraction.

Holding out is only going to hurt Harvin and he probably won't miss a regular season game.

• Upvote 1

I agree that the guy is SO talented. There is no arguing that. But he has been a real headache for the Vikings. Whether he is acting like a child, or can't get on the field because of injuries... It might just be time to part ways. And no, a 3rd rounder isn't all that enticing.

I think he could do special things in New England, and they should be on the phone with the Vikings right now working out a deal.

I read somewhere else that he had a similar issue at Florida and even threw one of his coaches to the ground one time.

Harvin's a great talent, but I don't know if I'd want him given the tantrums he throws and his injury issues.

I can't see Harvin being happy with a slot WR role, he is gonna wanna be a top target of the QB and he won't get thatin Atlanta. Then you factor in the type of money he is gonna want soon.

Who does Atlanta have that the Vikings want? They definitely have the draft picks to make it an enticing deal. Also Percy being a 3rd WR? I don't think he'd be happy with that and possibly trouble waiting to happen.

They have draft picks, which I think is clearly what the Vikings would be looking for, then again are we willing to give draft picks for a guy who is trouble in the locker room? I also don't think it would be a "3rd receiver" type deal. Obviously he would be behind Julio and Roddy on a depth chart, but I think if we were to grab any type of game changing receiver for a slot role then it would definitely mean we were going to use the 3 wide set as our primary base. If Gonzalez does indeed retire, you will see the 3 wide receiver set be more of a norm for the Falcons any way. Even if it means that Harry Douglas is the guy out there. We don't have the tight ends to fill in for Gonzalez' role, and I think that adding a guy like Percy Harvin at wide receiver could make our offense absolutely amazing once Gonzo is gone. I can't expect that we would have to pay Percy Harvin too much differently than what we were willing to give Gonzo. :p

I think Harvin is perfectly fine with his role in the slot as long as he is getting the looks and opportunities he thinks he should be getting. Take a team like NE who uses and abuses that slot position and I think he would be in heaven.

According to a "high-ranking Vikings source," Percy Harvin "expects" an extension similar to the deals recently signed by Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

The league's two highest paid receivers, Johnson scored an eight-year, $150.5 million pact last March, while Fitzgerald is entering year three of an eight-year, $128.5 million deal. Megatron's deal includes $60 million guaranteed, Fitz's $50 million. If true, it would certainly explain why the Vikings are at least exploring trading a player who's among the most gifted in the league, but also hot-headed with health question marks. However, it's extremely doubtful Harvin could even approach Fitz and Mega's deals, in Minnesota or elsewhere. We're likely only at the beginning of a long and winding ordeal.

I think Percy suffered from one two many migraines.

Edited by dutchff7

Prove you can be on field for 16 games first..

Even if he does play 16 games, prove that you are worth that kind of money. His production doesn't match those dollars. He hasn't even posted a 1,000 yard season yet.

According to ESPN 1500 Twin Cities, the "word circulating in league circles" is that Percy Harvin wants at least an annual $10 million in his new contract, with the "real goal" perhaps being $12 million or more.

$12 million annually would make Harvin the league's highest paid receiver not named Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Beat writer Tom Pelissero confirms Harvin's suspected contract demands are a "bigger issue" in trade talks than the draft picks it would take to acquire him. An AFC personnel executive "guesses" the Vikings could get a second- or third-round pick, along with another selection to "sweeten the pot." For his part, Pelissero thinks the situation could still go either way, ending in "reconciliation" with the Vikings or a one-way ticket out of town. Pelissero believes Harvin's unique skill-set, checkered medical history and "well-documented pattern of insubordination" will conspire to limit his market.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

From what I understand this is mostly his agent flapping his gums.

That said if he honestly believes that is his worth I would not want him on my team anyway......faaaaaar to stupid to be worth it.

Percy Harvin - WR - Vikings

A source "close to the team" tells CBS' Jason La Canfora Percy Harvin's issues with the Vikings have been "widely mischaracterized," and are about "the scope of the passing game" and not his contract.

La Canfora's source claims Harvin has "not complained about his deal to the team," and never threatened to hold out. This directly contradicts most of what's been reported since Harvin's Vikings future became an issue again earlier this month. Regardless, La Canfora believes the situation could "come to a head" as early as next week. Reports going back to last summer have indicated Harvin was going to make noise about his contract this offseason, so it strains belief money has nothing to do with his most recent drama. Whatever the issue is, trade rumors should only intensify in the coming days.

Pelissero: Percy Harvins contract demands have Vikings in tough spot

Percy Harvin has the Minnesota Vikings in a pickle, and he knows it.

The whole NFL knows it, which only makes it more challenging to extract value from a dynamic, 24-year-old playmaker who has griped and priced his way towards the trading block, at least for now.

"Everybody thinks they can change guys," a personnel man for another NFC team said this week. "How's he going to be in a winning locker room with a solid quarterback? Stuff like that comes into play, and you begin to walk down that road or think, 'Oh, we could change this guy.'

"But (expletive), be careful, because if (expletive) does go wrong, you know who's going to be the first one up. And this is supposed to be a guy that you're paying as a leader."

Harvin wants more than that, though several factors -- a specialized skill set, a complicated medical history and a well-documented pattern of insubordination -- limit the marketplace for a player who, on talent alone, could practically name his price.

Word circulating in league circles is his agent, Joel Segal, is starting the bidding upwards of $10 million a season, which would make Harvin one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid receivers no matter what Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings and Dwayne Bowe command in free agency.

The real goal may be $12 million a year, if not higher -- more than any receiver except All-Pros Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. That kind of compensation is a bigger issue for teams that have discussed a deal for Harvin than the draft pick(s) it'd take to land him.

"He's not a conventional, traditional wide receiver where you line him up outside and he's going to win one-on-ones with the full route tree," an executive in personnel for an AFC team said.

"You've got to kind of manufacture some things to get the ball in his hands, and when you do, he's unique and he can be explosive. But I just don't see him as someone who's worth a number one pick."

Maybe things would be different under the old collective-bargaining agreement, when guaranteed money was skyrocketing and virtually every team in the top 10 was trying to trade out. Now, those first-round draft picks are too cheap and valuable to part with on a gamble.

The executive guessed the Vikings could end up with a second- or third-round pick, plus another pick to sweeten the pot. The personnel man said he thought they'd be lucky to get a third-rounder, considering perception around the league about the Vikings' predicament.

"He's an elite player," an AFC personnel director said. "The thing about him is, if there wasn't the migraines and the attitude stuff and all that, if he was just straight clean and a great guy, they could get the house for him. They could probably get a couple of ones for him. Obviously, a guy of his ability, somebody's going to want to take a shot at him."

Every NFL team deals with one or more players like Harvin. Not many give up a high draft pick and perhaps $25 million in guarantees to actively import someone else's problem when they have young players of their own awaiting paydays, though.

That lends credence to the idea everything to this point -- including Harvin's camp floating word he won't play for the $2.9 million he's due on the last year of his rookie contract -- has been about leverage and reconciliation with the Vikings remains the most likely outcome.

But it's just as possible the Vikings don't believe all the money in the world will make Harvin any happier about the offense and the quarterback and the coaches, leaving them in an even tighter bind if they meet his demands and relationships keep going south.

"They're worried about paying the guy, and they know the guy," the NFC personnel man said. "Well, why would the team that doesn't know him (pay him)?"

The same flags that have plagued Harvin since the 2009 draft are waving again after an inspiring, but tumultuous six months that began with a surprise trade request during June's minicamp and ended with him rehabbing an ankle injury at home in Florida during the Vikings' playoff push.

In between, Harvin delivered an MVP-caliber performance for nine games and had two documented confrontations with mild-mannered coach Leslie Frazier -- one on the sideline in Seattle over frustration with quarterback Christian Ponder and the offense, the other in front of some teammates and staff members at Winter Park.

After all that, re-signing Harvin to the second-richest contract behind Adrian Peterson's $14.38 million-per-year megadeal could send a dangerous message that he's bigger than the team that played some of its best football after his Dec. 5 move to injured reserve.

Harvin long has been respected for his ability and fearless approach, but one veteran teammate who has been Harvin's ally in the past said on Wednesday his volatile personality has become "too big of a problem" to make a major commitment.

"In my mind, it really comes down to whether (Vikings general manager) Rick Spielman, (vice president of football operations) Rob Brzezinski and those guys see Harvin as long-term," said ESPN NFL business analyst Andrew Brandt, who was the Green Bay Packers' chief contract negotiator from 1999 to 2008.

"If they don't, we're dealing with a lame-duck year one way or another. If they do, try to create some kind of contractual situation that works for both sides. I don't think anyone doubts that he's a special player. He's a blue (chip) player. The question is, can they live with whatever else that brings in terms of off-field, in terms of infecting anyone in the locker room?"

There also are concerns within the Vikings organization about the rate at which Harvin will age, given his style of play and a variety of health concerns more extensive and complicated than anyone outside the organization knows.

Dealing Harvin for a second-round pick, as unpalatable as that might sound on the surface, would eliminate the headache as well as give the Vikings cash to chase a vertical threat such as Wallace in free agency, and perhaps use that extra pick to keep remodeling the receiver corps.

At the same time, if Harvin were hitting unrestricted free agency, there's a chance he'd get a bigger deal than anyone in the unusually deep "A" tier of receivers likely to hit the market on March 12 -- some of whom may be reluctant to jump into a run-first offense with a young QB.

"He's got more versatility and big-play ability than Bowe," the personnel director said. "He's younger than Jennings. He can get vertical like Wallace can, but Wallace is a real straightline (player) and Percy's got a whole lot more wiggle to him. He's got (Wes) Welker's quickness, but far better speed. Arguably, you can say he might be the top guy of that group."

So, the Vikings figure to bide their time if they're not blown away with an offer, although they have plenty of reason to want resolution one way or another before April's draft.

The only other option is playing a game of chicken, betting that Harvin would sooner show up and play to prove everyone wrong than risk significant fines for holding out during training camp and eventually having to choose between showing up at midseason or having his contract tolled.

"I would assume they'd be making some selective calls that way to see what they can get," the AFC executive said. "But it doesn't mean you have to trade him. They could just gauge the market to see if it's worth trading him."

The ultimate question isn't whether a team would want Percy Harvin, who could elevate any offense in the NFL.

The question is whether a team would want Percy Harvin, who has placed himself in the position where these conversations even need to take place.

"If we pay big money to him knowing that he's not necessarily our type of guy, you're definitely creating a rift in the locker room," the personnel man said.

"I think it's going to take a very special situation. Whether it's a young team or somebody that's close to thinking they're one guy away. I just think it's so frickin' risky. And (expletive), he's one of my favorite players in terms of scouting just to watch."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Percy_Harvins_contract_demands_have_Vikings_in_tough_spot021313

I really hope it's true that all this is Harvin's Agent and not Harvin himself. I've always liked the guy, but nothing makes me hate a player faster than pulling this 'I had one halfway decent season for you and now I want ten million a year or i'll hold out' bullcrap. It's selfish. It damages the team just to line that one player's pockets. It just sickens me.

A holdout is supposed to be used as a player's last ditched effort to get payed a fair contract after negotiations have failed. It is NOT meant to be used to hold a gun to your teams head to demand a contract you don't deserve. Harvin is a solid starter. I would even say he's a good reciever. However, by good I'm tallking Top 15. At BEST. And that's being very generous. He is not worth anything near Megatron money and I hope the Vikings realize that and stand their ground.

Great players shouldn't need to threaten a holdout to get payed. If their pay is worth it their team will gladly pay them. Ask AP or Larry Fitz. If I remember AP actually REFUSED to hold out even though people were telling him to. THAT'S how you show faith in your team. If you play well, you'll get yours. If you have to blackmail your team get a big contract maybe it's because you don't deserve one.

In fact, just to illustrate my point, here's a list of WRs I'd take over Percy Harvin.

(Note : List is in no particular order)

Cavin Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Wes Welker

Miles Austin

Roddy White

Julio Jones

AJ Green

Dez Bryant

Greg Jennings

Andre Johnson

Vincent Jackson

Mike Wallace

Torrey Smith

Anquan Boldin

Randall Cobb

Demaryius Thomas

Brandon Marshall

Victor Cruz

Steve Smith

Sidney Rice

Golden Tate

That's 21 recievers I'd happily have on my team over Harvin. I could probably extend that list if I wanted, but my point is he is nowhere as good as these articles make him out to be. Valuable to his team as he's the best WR they have, but nowhere near worth a top 10 WR contract.

Edited by Jayrus

I agreed with most of what you said until you got to the WR list. I would have Harvin over a couple of receivers on that list. No Seahawks receiver should even be remotely close on this list.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1

I agreed with most of what you said until you got to the WR list. I would have Harvin over a couple of receivers on that list. No Seahawks receiver should even be remotely close on this list.

That list is recievers that I personally would take over Harvin. I expected people would disagree with some of my choices and that's fine. Rice and Tate are on there because they both posted statistically equal to slightly better seasons than Harvin did this year and didn't turn around and demand megatron contracts.

Here's their 2012 stats :

Harvin : 62 Rec 677 Yards 3 TDs

Tate : 45 Rec 688 Yards 7 TDs

Rice : 50 Rec 748 Yards 7 TDs

Both Tate and Rice had more yards and more TDs with less receptions and yet you don't see them demanding huge contracts. That was my whole point. I know Harvin's previous seasons are better than theirs (With the exception of Rice's one huge year under Favre), but I'd still take them over him personally because they're not acting like greedy assholes over an alright performance.

So yeah, that's why I listed them on my list of preferred WRs over Harvin. Like I said. Personal preference. If you disagree then I'd love to see where he falls on your list.

Edited by Jayrus

Harvin missed 7 regular season games,dude. Rice played 16 and Tate played 15 games.

• Upvote 1

Harvin missed 7 regular season games,dude. Rice played 16 and Tate played 15 games.

Percy Harvin missed games? There's a shocker. I forgot he missed that many though. So yeah that changes things. A healthy Harvin that plays the whole season? Yeah, I'd take that over Rice and Tate and a few others on that list. Thing is he never is. There's always SOMETHING wrong with him. It doesn't matter how talented a player is. If he isn't on the field he isn't helping your team.

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Adam Schefter "doesn't see" the Vikings trading Percy Harvin.

Schefter is just passing along his gut feeling in a mailbag column, but his gut feeling is surely informed by league chatter. Schefter believes the Vikings would be "out of their minds" to trade Harvin for less than "premium value." Most reports have suggested premium value is something the Vikings will have trouble getting for a player who wants to break the bank with his next contract. Feb 20 - 3:50 PM

Source: ESPN.com

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 21, 2013, 1:01 PM EST

At this point in the offseason, teams can’t talk in absolutes.

And Vikings general manager Rick Spielman absolutely wasn’t going to box himself in when asked about Percy Harvin.

Asked three times about the future of the disgruntled wideout during his interview at the NFL Scouting Combine, Spielman said each time the team had “no intent” to trade him.

Of course, saying that doesn’t mean much, as an admission that he was actively shopping Harvin rather than giving him a new deal would cause the value of the asset to plummet.

What Spielman intends is to maximize the value, either by finding a way to keep a dynamic player or to get a solid return for him.

Harvin isn’t saying much at the moment either, which helps the process as well. The moment either side starts spouting off, the harder it gets for anyone to get what they want.

Source: ProFootballTalk

I think that Harvin gets a new deal from Minnesota, primarily because Minnesota won't get what they want for him due to Harvin's injury history and they'll figure they're better off just giving him the money to keep him.

Edited by badgers