Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: No deal between Branden Albert, Chiefs

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Scott Pioli predicted on Total Access Thursday night that the Chiefs will use the franchise tag to retain Dwayne Bowe and let Branden Albert walk in free agency.

Pioli has special insight because he was Kansas City's GM from 2009-2012. He also noted the "buyer's market" at offensive tackle; both the draft and free agency are stocked with starting-caliber left tackles. Should Albert hit free agency, look for the Bears to show interest. Chicago is tackle needy, and GM Phil Emery was Kansas City's scouting director when Albert was drafted. Feb 21 - 7:23 PM

Edited by BLUE

If this happens it's either Fisher or Joekel is a lock to go #1.

I dunno.. As Pioli rightly stated, this draft (and FA) is full of talent on both sides of the line. May as well stockpile picks and take advantage of that fact.

Chiefs have also expressed interest in trading out of #1, although I am not sure anyone is going to want to move up.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Chiefs assigned the franchise tag to LT Branden Albert.

Instead of letting blue-chip players in Albert and Dwayne Bowe walk, the rebuilding Chiefs got aggressive and kept both with 11th-hour maneuverings. Whereas Bowe is sticking around via a five-year deal, Albert will be due $9.83 million once he signs his one-year tender. The sides have until mid-July to reach a long-term agreement, but the Chiefs may decide Albert's back issues make it best that he plays under a one-year deal. The move throws a wrench into the top of the draft, as Texas A&M LT Luke Joeckel no longer has an obvious home in Kansas City. GM John Dorsey has insisted keeping Albert wouldn't preclude him from drafting Joeckel, but trading down is now the Chiefs' most logical choice. Mar 4 - 4:19 PM

Chiefs franchise player Branden Albert is still not interested in moving inside to guard.

"I’ll be playing left tackle," he said. It isn't the first time Albert has shot down whispers that he could move inside. In January, Albert called the idea "ludicrous." He started just one of the final six games last season due to a back injury, but prior to 2012 Albert had missed just four games in four seasons. Kansas City has 2012 second-round pick Jeff Allen at left guard. Eric Winston has right tackle held down. Rising youngsters Jon Asamoah and Rodney Hudson are at right guard and center respectively. Mar 4 - 6:43 PM

Source: Adam Teicher on Twitter

Edited by BLUE

Well this gives Kansas City some flexibility at the 1st overall pick. We already know it won't be Geno Smith. It certainly seems like offensive line is now the position of need, which feels like a choice between Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher. However...

What about Chance Warmack? He seems to be the consensus top player in this draft, and if there's one coach in this league who would take a guard first overall, it's Andy Reid.

NFL Network's Scott Pioli predicted on Total Access Thursday night that the Chiefs will use the franchise tag to retain Dwayne Bowe and let Branden Albert walk in free agency.

Pioli has special insight because he was Kansas City's GM from 2009-2012. He also noted the "buyer's market" at offensive tackle; both the draft and free agency are stocked with starting-caliber left tackles. Should Albert hit free agency, look for the Bears to show interest. Chicago is tackle needy, and GM Phil Emery was Kansas City's scouting director when Albert was drafted. Feb 21 - 7:23 PM

And that's why Pioli is talking about what he'd do instead of getting paid to do it. lolPiolifail

Per Rotoworld.com:

USA Today reports the Chiefs are "actively shopping" LT Branden Albert.

SI's Peter King reported this week that Kansas City would "listen" on Albert, but it appears to be the Chiefs seeking out listeners. They're going to replace him with the No. 1 pick in the draft. Albert, 28, is completely fine with the trade rumblings. "I've got to do what I've got to do," he said. "I don't know if I'm being traded, but I understand it's a possibility." After losing Jake Long, the Dolphins have been mentioned as a possible suitor. Mar 21 - 3:40 PM

Source: USA Today

Albert is good, but he's not great. If they draft Joeckel and trade Albert, it's most likely a win-win for the Chiefs. They get a "better" tackle—at least that's what the flapping heads are saying—who they can lock up for a few years on the cheap, plus they get whatever they get for Albert. Just sounds like plane good business to me. Chiefs are looking better and better with every move...

The Kansas City Star suggests the Chiefs told LT Branden Albert to not show up for the start of offseason conditioning Monday.

It's possible the organization told Albert to stay at home for fear of risking injury. He's on the trade block, and his base salary of $9.828 million is already fully guaranteed. "I don’t get caught up in that," new coach Andy Reid said of Albert’s absence. "The guys that are here we’ll work with, and that gives the next man the opportunity to get better and get ready to play."

Source: Kansas City Star

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport "hears" the Dolphins are indeed interested in trading for Chiefs LT Branden Albert.

The big question, according to Rapoport, is whether the Chiefs would be willing to accept the Dolphins' late second-round pick -- No. 54 overall -- instead of the No. 42 selection. SI's Peter King recently reported the Chiefs wanted a "high second-round pick" for Albert. We'd bet Kansas City would take either pick in exchange for the 29-year-old left tackle, although Chiefs GM John Dorsey will keep looking for the highest bid until just before the draft commences. Apr 17 - 7:54 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Per Rotoworld.com:

Mike Jurecki of XTRA Phoenix is "hearing" the Dolphins and Chiefs LT Branden Albert are negotiating a new contract.

Jurecki is a local Arizona reporter, but he's always been reliable with some pretty big scoops. Miami would send one of its two second-rounders -- either No. 42 or 54 overall -- Kansas City's way if a deal gets hammered out, and most signs point to the trade nearing completion. Albert is likely seeking north of $8 million annually on a long-term contract. The Chiefs traded their original second-round pick to the 49ers as part of the Alex Smith trade. Apr 20 - 2:40 PM

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

Well, all this deal would do is confirm that this will be the most disappointing, vanilla first overall pick I could have hoped for. *sigh* I'm sad about the draft now. :( Way to suck horribly for nothing, Chiefs.

Bowe, I don't think you should worry too much. In my opinion the Chiefs are either going to draft Joekel or try to trade out. How many people are really willing to trade into #1 this year with big fire power? You won't get the value trading out like you would last year so it just doesn't make sense to me. If the Chiefs can get something out of Albert, they should.

This is a great move for the Dolphins, I think if they can get this done with Albert, it puts them in the Dion Jordan list.

Bowe, I don't think you should worry too much. In my opinion the Chiefs are either going to draft Joekel or try to trade out. How many people are really willing to trade into #1 this year with big fire power? You won't get the value trading out like you would last year so it just doesn't make sense to me. If the Chiefs can get something out of Albert, they should.

This is a great move for the Dolphins, I think if they can get this done with Albert, it puts them in the Dion Jordan list.

That's exactly why I'm worried. Trading Albert means they probably won't trade out now and definitely take a tackle. The problem is, we ALREADY HAVE a tackle, and we're trading him away. You don't use the first overall pick to make a lateral move. I mean, they'll be clearing up some cap space, but there's no guarantee that Joekel is going to be as good as Albert, which is why this is stupid and makes me sad :/

I still hope the Chiefs can move back. Maybe even into the top 5 still. I think that would be more than ideal for them.

On another note, the Dolphins really seem to be "all-in" so to speak. Do they think they are close or something?

That's exactly why I'm worried. Trading Albert means they probably won't trade out now and definitely take a tackle. The problem is, we ALREADY HAVE a tackle, and we're trading him away. You don't use the first overall pick to make a lateral move. I mean, they'll be clearing up some cap space, but there's no guarantee that Joekel is going to be as good as Albert, which is why this is stupid and makes me sad :/

I get your concern. But you would rather them keep ALbert and then take a lesser talented guy? That doesn't make sense either. I look at it as they are simply in a shit shoot.

On another note, the Dolphins really seem to be "all-in" so to speak. Do they think they are close or something?

Yeah. Their GM is close to being fired.

Maybe the most dangerous thing in this league is a GM on the hot seat. Although, to be fair, who the heck knows why Jeff Ireland is still employed to begin with? That's an ownership fail.

I get your concern. But you would rather them keep ALbert and then take a lesser talented guy? That doesn't make sense either. I look at it as they are simply in a shit shoot.

Who said anything about taking a less talented player. I don't think you're following me. There are plenty of very talented players coming out in this draft. Getting one of them who play a position that we actually need seemed like the smart play to me.

How much friggin cap space do the Dolphins have? They have really gone all in, but they paid a hefty price. They still need Corners.

This move really wouldn't make any sense for the Chiefs, they free up some cap, but at the same time they lose a great LT. They would probably be best suited at trading down, but if they can't. You take the best OT on your board and move on.

THat's the great thing. They can trade down and still get a nice LT. Depending how far they move down of course. If you are the Chiefs, I think if you can trade down and still come away with Joeckel, Fisher, or Johnson, you aced the first round of the draft.

So you get rid of your awesome LT to only draft one with the top pick? LoLz so dumb.

SOMEONE FINALLY ADDRESSED THIS

Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle Branden Albert is seeking between $8 million and $9 million annually in a new contract, complicating a potential trade to the Miami Dolphins ahead of this week’s NFL Draft.

Yahoo Sports’ Jason Cole reported Sunday that a trade would only happen if Albert, who is currently signed to a one-year franchise tender, brings down his contract demands significantly. The Dolphins refused to match a deal the St. Louis Rams gave to tackle Jake Long, which pays about $8.5 million per season.

The Chiefs are looking to swing a deal with the Dolphins for a second-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. But Cole points out that the move would seem “counterintuitive” for the Dolphins given Albert’s current demands, since they just let Long walk away in free agency for less money:

To overpay for Albert and give up a second-round pick to get him would be pretty questionable for the Dolphins. Then again, the idea of having Jonathan Martin at left tackle could force the Dolphins to panic.

Albert, 28, has signed a franchise tender worth $9.82 million next season, but he has not participated in the Chiefs’ voluntary offseason program.

SI.com

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports it's "60-40" the Dolphins acquire Chiefs LT Branden Albert.

The Dolphins didn't take a left tackle on Thursday, but traded away their biggest piece of ammunition in the No. 42 pick. The Chiefs were believed to be holding out for the No. 42 pick over the No. 54 selection before the first round. The Dolphins will likely now have to add a sweetener to make the deal go through. Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland has thrown caution to the wind this offseason, so he should be ready to do what it takes to get his man.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole expects the Chiefs to end up trading Branden Albert for a second-round pick in 2014.

Cole mentions the Lions, Chargers, and Cardinals as teams that remain left tackle-needy after the draft and might be interested in Albert. The Lions would make a lot of sense because internally they have major questions about Riley Reiff's viability at tackle and prefer him at guard. The Dolphins could also jump back into the bidding. Although the Albert-to-Miami draft-week trade fell through, the sides had agreed to parameters of a long-term contract. Apr 28 - 8:54 PM

Source: Yahoo Sports