Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

NFL may prevent runners from lowering their heads...

NFL may prevent runners from lowering their heads into tacklers

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT

In another sign that the days of punishing, physical running backs like Jim Brown and John Riggins are coming to an end, the NFL is considering a rules change that would penalize runners for lowering their heads and initiating contact with tacklers.

Members of the NFL’s Competition Committee revealed today that they want to see a new rule that would make it a personal foul for either a runner or a tackler to engage in head-first contact with the crown of the helmet when running into each other outside the tackle box.

“This is a pure and simple player safety rule,” NFL Competition Committee Chair Rich McKay said. “We really think the time has come where we need to address the situation in space where a runner or a tackler has a choice of how to approach his opponent.”

McKay said there was no one specific play that made the Committee propose this rule change, and he said that the play that was viewed by many as the most violent example of a helmet-to-helmet hit in the NFL all season — Bernard Pollard’s collision with Stevan Ridley in the AFC Championship Game — would not have been a penalty because neither player was directly leading with the crown of his helmet.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the Competition Committee, said he believes coaches will be able to properly instruct their players in how to adjust to this rule.

“The ballcarrier is still going to be permitted to lower his shoulder, and the head is also going to come down to protect the football,” Fisher said. “We’re not taking that part of the run out of the game. What we’re saying is, in space, one-on-one, head-up, we’re not going to allow you to load up and use the crown of your helmet. It’s obvious that each year, the NFL’s Competition Committee is going to try a little bit harder to take us closer to a time when helmet-to-helmet hits are removed from the game completely.

1_uh_wtf_gif.gif

So basically they've decided they want to completely fuck all the power-run game teams and make the league even more pass-oriented? Yeah, that sounds great for the sport.

Edited by Jayrus

I actually like the rule, I absolutely hate it when a player lowers his head and the defender gets flagged for a hit to the head, and while I do see the challenge running backs will face, I trust that with Jeff Fisher on the competition committee and putting his support behind it the impact on the running game will be minimized

I agree that it's unfair to punish defenders when the runner lowered his head, but then just make the rule that it the runner powers his head, no defensive penalty.

I agree that it's unfair to punish defenders when the runner lowered his head, but then just make the rule that it the runner powers his head, no defensive penalty.

but that wouldn't actually accomplish anything to prevent the head hits, which is what they're trying to do

I think what they're trying to prevent is shit like this:

which currently isn't actually a penalty on either side

the more I think about it, the more I like the rule, I like that they're finally going at the issue of preventing helmet to helmet hits from the offensive side of the ball now, it's always been "defense, don't target the head" now they're saying "offense, don't make your head the target"

another point to keep in mind:

Members of the NFL's Competition Committee revealed today that they want to see a new rule that would make it a personal foul for either a runner or a tackler to engage in head-first contact with the crown of the helmet when running into each other outside the tackle box.

this doesn't sound like it'll even apply to runs up the middle, like I said with Fisher as part of the group shaping this we don't have to worry about losing the running game

and actually, after reading the OP a little more closely they actually said the video I posted (Ridley getting destroyed) likely still wouldn't be a penalty, so I don't know what this is even going to apply to anyway

Edited by oochymp

But oochymp, the article says that the Pollard/Ridley collision would not be a penalty even under this new rule.

But oochymp, the article says that the Pollard/Ridley collision would not be a penalty even under this new rule.

I just realized that and added it to my last post:

and actually, after reading the OP a little more closely they actually said the video I posted (Ridley getting destroyed) likely still wouldn't be a penalty, so I don't know what this is even going to apply to anyway

There's far too much judgement involved in even trying to form a penalty like this.

And that would make this a penalty....which was a 40 yard gain.

quizz-run2-1-13-13.gif

Bullshit.

And it's not like penalties can be reviewed either. NFL would have lots of issues on their hands with this, it'd be wise to leave it the way it is now.

Fucking stupid. Sick of the NFL screwing with shit. Nothing is wrong with the league, if the players are worried about being knocked out, then they don't have to run with the violence that they do. Make it a decision that the players make. They know it's a dangerous sport. Basically, the NFL will soon be a place where bigger power backs don't matter, if you don't have a guy like Jamaal Charles, you don't run the football. Stupid.

Seriously, I feel like we will be watching the Canadian Football League in about 2 or 3 more years of all this changing shit.

Edited by Rain Man
  • Upvote 1

Fucking stupid. Sick of the NFL screwing with shit. Nothing is wrong with the league, if the players are worried about being knocked out, then they don't have to run with the violence that they do. Make it a decision that the players make. They know it's a dangerous sport. Basically, the NFL will soon be a place where bigger power backs don't matter, if you don't have a guy like Jamaal Charles, you don't run the football. Stupid.

Seriously, I feel like we will be watching the Canadian Football League in about 2 or 3 more years of all this changing shit.

and they'll find themselves on the waiver wire in no time

and to Julio, based on Fisher's comment, I actually think that play would be called leading with the shoulder (which is what it looks like makes initial contact) but you're right about making it a very tough judgment call, I had to watch the gif 4-5 times before I came to that conclusion and we know the refs don't have the advantage of that, I've also said multiple times (maybe on here, maybe not) that I hate giving refs tough judgment calls (it's why I loved it when they got rid of the force-out rule) you're just asking for fans/analysts to second guess them and even if they're right more often than not, people will only focus on the times when they're wrong, honestly, I think that may be the best argument against this type of rule

• Upvote 1

but that wouldn't actually accomplish anything to prevent the head hits, which is what they're trying to do

I think what they're trying to prevent is shit like this:

which currently isn't actually a penalty on either side

the more I think about it, the more I like the rule, I like that they're finally going at the issue of preventing helmet to helmet hits from the offensive side of the ball now, it's always been "defense, don't target the head" now they're saying "offense, don't make your head the target"

That hit was a thing of beauty. Just about every safety in the NFL should aspire to lay hits like that.

• Upvote 1

Well defensive players already get penalised for leading with their head against receivers, so this was bound to happen. At least they made it a penalty on both sides of the ball for this...

As much as I hate this as a fan of the game, I think it shows even a little that the NFL is serious about player safety to an extent.

I think the thing that becomes most important in all of this is the "tackle box" and what exactly falls under that category.

You tell me how to lower your shoulder without lowering your head and I'm on board.

This rule wasn't well thought out and is hopefully a launch point for discussion on a rule than a new rule.

You tell me how to lower your shoulder without lowering your head and I'm on board.

This rule wasn't well thought out and is hopefully a launch point for discussion on a rule than a new rule.

if you look at Fisher's quote he acknowledges that when you lower your shoulder your head follows, like I said, his presence on the Rules Committee is the main reason I'm behind this, I know Fisher wouldn't do anything that's going to kill the running game

Yeah, Fisher is one of the few coaches left in this league that still believes in smashmouth football. He's not going to allow a rule that would hurt the running game even more than it already has been. He holds a lot of power and respect on the committee too.

Fine, lower your center of gravity. I read his quote. My disdain stands.

Its a poorly thought out rule. Most tackles on mid-long outside runs being questionable penalties sounds like a tool for fixing games.

The committee has proven to be loyal to owners and money, not love for the running game. Safety first, then football. That's the apparent $ recipe.

I am curious though, what sort of things has Fisher done on the rules committee to make you think they'll behave otherwise?

• Upvote 1

I am curious though, what sort of things has Fisher done on the rules committee to make you think they'll behave otherwise?

it's not so much what he's done on the committee as the fact that his coaching philosophy has always been about pounding the rock, I have trouble believing he would help create a rule that would make his own style obsolete

It's not even about lowering your head. In the same way that you can make a tackle with your head lowered, but looking up, you can lower your pad level to make a truck, and keep your head lowered while still looking up, or forward.

It's about leading with the crown of your helmet. Just like it is already with defenders.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F