Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

How much better/worse would Romney have been?

Would there have even been any difference? Obama has essentially been the same president as Bush. He's taken the Bush administrations policies of assaulting our constitutional rights even further. He's done nothing to help poor people in this country. In fact he's done nothing but hand money to banks and insurance companies. The health care bill at this point is ridiculous and is doing nothing but furthering the gap the 95th percentile and the rest of us. He's committed war crimes. I mean, he's been pretty much as horrible a president as it gets but the true genius about it is that you can't criticize him because he's got enough on his shoulders being the first black president.

Romney on the other hand is just as much of an asshole. The health care bill was HIS idea. You know HE would have given everything away to corporations maybe even more than Obama has and I guarantee that he too would have been in favor of taking our rights. Maybe not so much our right to own firearms, but certainly or right to due process like Bush and Obama have done.

Is anyone ready to vote for somebody new? Are we ready for a new party?

• Upvote 1

Would there have even been any difference? Obama has essentially been the same president as Bush. He's taken the Bush administrations policies of assaulting our constitutional rights even further. He's done nothing to help poor people in this country. In fact he's done nothing but hand money to banks and insurance companies.

I quit reading after that. You're kidding me, I hope. I refuse to work overtime now simply because the large majority of the extra hardwork of mine goes to taxes. There's people riding on unemployment alone, who are making more than the students who work full time jobs on top on taking a full load in college. That's where the problem is in my opinion. We bail out those who are too irresponsible to hold a job but those who seek a bright future by paying their way through classes, we feed to the banks through loans. I won't blame all of this completely on Obama but if you're the face of the US government, you get more than most. The senators, congressmen, lobbyists, etc can all go eat shit too. There needs to be a reform.

/soapbox

• Upvote 2

The health care bill was not Romney's idea. Obama took an idea of his that he wanted to leave at the state level and applied it to the national level, which was never Romney's intention at all.

That said, everything else you said about Obama, Romney would do just as poorly, IMO.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

Obama has been pretty good for this poor guy. My tax return has more than tripled.

• Upvote 1

I quit reading after that. You're kidding me, I hope. I refuse to work overtime now simply because the large majority of the extra hardwork of mine goes to taxes. There's people riding on unemployment alone, who are making more than the students who work full time jobs on top on taking a full load in college. That's where the problem is in my opinion. We bail out those who are too irresponsible to hold a job but those who seek a bright future by paying their way through classes, we feed to the banks through loans. I won't blame all of this completely on Obama but if you're the face of the US government, you get more than most. The senators, congressmen, lobbyists, etc can all go eat shit too. There needs to be a reform.

/soapbox

Can I say you are both right.

In my opinion all he has done is changed who the poor people are. "Oh well you are a lazy son of a bitch who thinks you are entitled and that you have been opressed ?" Well that is the Obama type." Oh you are hard working and trying to pay your way?" Well you are the rich white man for pulling double shifts that makes $20 an hour because you get time and a half. You are the oppression of others because you believe that you should no longer have to bear the brunt of the unemployed. You should be ashamed fo yourself for being so thoughtless.

He is no different than Romney except Romney knew how to run a business effectively, which AT THIS point we need more than some caring do gooder who is a dreamer and a fool who has no other agenda than pretending to be a pioius and caring person. He is the same crooked douchebag that anybody we elected would have been. The only difference is that if you dont like him you are clearly racist.

• Upvote 1

/soapbox

We does helping the poor have to be handing them money? I think there are a lot of things we could do that we aren't doing to put these people to work. Just remember too that a lot of these poor people have a lot of kids and those children are living in poverty too. Combine that with policies like No Child Left Behind, which Obama has supported it turns into a pretty vicious cycle

Obama has been pretty good for this poor guy. My tax return has more than tripled.

LMAO.

Money you shouldn't have to give to the feds to begin with.

The health care bill was not Romney's idea. Obama took an idea of his that he wanted to leave at the state level and applied it to the national level, which was never Romney's intention at all.

That said, everything else you said about Obama, Romney would do just as poorly, IMO.

Obama had nothing to do with the health care bill really aside from signing it. It was Romney's bill in Mass. and the republicans pretty much did away with any form of protection for anyone buying health care. In other words insurance companies can pretty much do whatever the fuck they want and jack prices up as they see fit now.

Well for my parents the deductable on my mom's insurance policy is 7000 dollars. Which is almost a third of her salary. My dad is unemployed atm so for us the health care bill crippled my family. We're still waiting on our medical cards from the government to come in and pretty much everyone I know personally is worse off financially than they were in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 and I don't live in a poor state or a poor area.

Add that to the fact that you have people like Cornell West going at Obama HARD for his lack of support for the poor and I think it paints a pretty clear picture.

Guest Phailadelphia

Well for my parents the deductable on my mom's insurance policy is 7000 dollars. Which is almost a third of her salary. My dad is unemployed atm so for us the health care bill crippled my family. We're still waiting on our medical cards from the government to come in and pretty much everyone I know personally is worse off financially than they were in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 and I don't live in a poor state or a poor area.

Add that to the fact that you have people like Cornell West going at Obama HARD for his lack of support for the poor and I think it paints a pretty clear picture.

Like 90% of the health care bill doesn't start kicking in until this year and goes through 2018. It hasn't really affected anyone yet.

And yeah, I'd think after the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression everyone is going to be worse off financially than they were under Bush or Clinton.

but the true genius about it is that you can't criticize him because he's got enough on his shoulders being the first black president.

LOLWUT.png

• Upvote 1

I think being black has been the source of most of his criticism from the average person, lol.

I think being black has been the source of most of his criticism from the average person, lol.

Really? I think it's more of his appeal as a celebrity vs being anything of value from a political force. Maybe it's the area of the country I live in, but I don't see many holding his color against him. He's a very charismatic guy who generally says the right things and seems to be a good family man. What good is that though?

The better question is: Does the President really have any power? How can the President really affect change? Wasnt that his whole campaign slogan? I know we've talked about that here before, but give it some though. Who really makes the critical decisions in this country. Would Romney have had his strings held by different parties making him more effective? Dun know.

I think it's a responsibility of the citizens of this country to make drastic changes instead of relying on the government to force those changes. We are not a very likable or moral country as a whole. Sure there are very, very good people out there - but they are far outnumbered by the morally bankrupt individuals that sole purpose is to suck the life blood out of this country.

There are many of you on this forum that are much more grounded and intelligent when it comes to polotics. My thought is that the people have to change before we can see any real change by the gubbament. I'd like us to take a look at the Nordic countries. They consistently rank as some of the happiest people on the planet. Their laws are progressive and their thought process is progressive. We are much larger and would require a lot of effort to emulate some of the things they do, but damn...wouldnt it be nice.

Then we wouldnt have to argue about the puppet in charge of the country. We could sit back, drink great beer, smoke great herb and be happy.

• Upvote 2

Him being black is the source of most of the criticism... Haha. It can't be that he wipes his ass with the Constitution or our civil liberties? It definitely isn't the fact that he has waged the largest drone war in world history? Or the fact he extended the warrantless wiretapping Bush orchestrated?

Of course not.. He's definitely awful because of his skin color. Surely.

Him being black is the source of most of the criticism... Haha. It can't be that he wipes his ass with the Constitution or our civil liberties? It definitely isn't the fact that he has waged the largest drone war in world history? Or the fact he extended the warrantless wiretapping Bush orchestrated?

Of course not.. He's definitely awful because of his skin color. Surely.

The average Obama-hater would miss these talking points and launch into the "he only got elected because he's black" argument.

• Upvote 1

The average Obama-hater would miss these talking points and launch into the "he only got elected because he's black" argument.

His skin color being the source of criticism goes beyond people saying he got elected, in part, because of his skin color. One comment is laced with racism while the other is laced in part truths.

You can say or think his skin color helped him in the election without being a racist. If that's all you guys are talking about, the original point is a complete non-issue.

Probably worse. I can't imagine Romney being a beacon of civil liberties or small government. At least Obama is trying to get gay marriage legalized.

Probably worse. I can't imagine Romney being a beacon of civil liberties or small government. At least Obama is trying to get gay marriage legalized.

Definitely not. He would certainly pretend, though! haha.

Poverty levels are higher than they were under Presdient Clinton, who through his policies helped to bring down overall poverty levels and the economy was in much better shape. Granted, he didn't have a financial mess to clean up but he still had the same scenario of a divided government / Congress and was still able to pass major legislation and significant reforms (welfare reform being the most well advertised that comes to mind, as well as got Isreal and Jordan to sign and ratify a peace treaty).

• Downvote 1