Dutch

NFLs most overrated players (or coaches)

Agreed. If he wasn't a loud obnoxious Ryan, nobody would care about him.

Can I add another coach?

Jeff Fisher 150-128-1 record with a 5-6 postseason record yet talked about as one of the greatest HC of all time.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Luck is the most overrated player in the NFL in my opinion. Now, Peyton Manning had a worse rookie season than Luck, so I'm not going to sit here and say that Luck can't become an elite QB, but based on last season he's overrated. First of all, his numbers were terrible. He completed only 54% of his passes while having a 23 TD 18 INT ratio. That gives him a 76.5 passer rating. Not only that, but the Colts also had the weakest schedule in the NFL last year according to Sports-reference.com. Despite that, the Colts seemed to be behind in the 4th quarter in almost every game they played. People will bring up all the 4th quarter comebacks he had, but comebacks are the most useless stat known to man. In order to have a comeback, you have to play poor enough to let yourself get behind in the first place. Having the most comebacks is not necessarily a good thing.

• Upvote 2

[/quote And lastly, not only has he won a playoff game every year in his career, but he is near the top for wins in his first 5 years. Winning is the most important stat, and I'll take the dude with the fresh new ring on his finger.

/quote]

Did Flacco win a majority of those games, or did the elite Ravens defense do it? Admit it, Flacco was carried into the playoffs by the defenses in pretty much ever season of his career until this one. Flacco was on a winning team, but they weren't winning because of him. Him stringing together 4 great games in last year's playoffs shouldn't make up for 5 years of average play. Instead of living in the heat of the moment and thinking he's all the sudden a great QB, how about we see how well Flacco plays next year with Ray and Reed no longer on the team?

Edited by Minny

Andrew Luck is the most overrated player in the NFL in my opinion. Now, Peyton Manning had a worse rookie season than Luck, so I'm not going to sit here and say that Luck can't become an elite QB, but based on last season he's overrated. First of all, his numbers were terrible. He completed only 54% of his passes while having a 23 TD 18 INT ratio. That gives him a 76.5 passer rating. Not only that, but the Colts also had the weakest schedule in the NFL last year according to Sports-reference.com. Despite that, the Colts seemed to be behind in the 4th quarter in almost every game they played. People will bring up all the 4th quarter comebacks he had, but comebacks are the most useless stat known to man. In order to have a comeback, you have to play poor enough to let yourself get behind in the first place. Having the most comebacks is not necessarily a good thing.

Awesome post and I agree 100%. This is why I think Luck was the 3rd best rookie QB last year (not saying that he won't end up being the best of the class) You should stick around. :yep:

Can I add another coach?

Jeff Fisher 150-128-1 record with a 5-6 postseason record yet talked about as one of the greatest HC of all time.

I'm with ya on Fisher.

These two are not overrated. Jared Allen is a beast and nobody thinks Romo is any good--he's actually underrated.

I don't see how you think Romo is underrated. I mean don't most people consider him top 16, maybe even top 10 quarterback? He's definitely not top 5 if that's what you're thinking...

Romo is top-16 at the very least.

I'd still put Romo in the top 10. I don't mind him taking all the blame (screw the Cowboys) but everything isn't Romo's fault over there and it's just not clearly evident through the media storm.

When I think of overrated players, Arian Foster immediately comes to mind. While he was better a couple seasons ago than he is now, I don't think he was really ever as good as the hype. He's simply a good fit for a Kubiak/Shanahan style zone blocking scheme and he gets what the line gives him. Never thought he was particularly good at creating on his own or gaining yards after contact.

The other big one that comes to mind is Michael Griffin. That guy misses tackles like it's his job, and he's not very reliable in coverage either. He loves to free lance and pick off bad passes, but that's a pretty worthless skillset if it's all you can do.

Edited by KempBolt

Can I add another coach?

Fisher's better than his record indicates. When he was allowed to build his own team from the ground up, he had a stretch where he went 56-24 which includes a 7-9 season, but with that he still averaged 11 wins per year over that stretch. From 04-06 we failed due to the poor cap management by Floyd Reese and then in 06, when Fisher is ready to build the team from the ground up all over again, Bud Adams decides to butt his ugly head in and overrule what Fisher wants to do by taking Vince Young. None of the playoff losses we suffered under Fisher were due to coaching failures.

He's not Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick, but he is one of the better coaches the NFL has had. He'll win a superbowl in St Louis if they allow him to build the team his way.

The other big one that comes to mind is Michael Griffin. That guy misses tackles like it's his job, and he's not very reliable in coverage either. He loves to free lance and pick off bad passes, but that's a pretty worthless skillset if it's all you can do.

Michael Griffin is considered one of the worst safeties in the NFL by pretty much everyone I know, dunno how he'd make an overrated list lol.

Michael Griffin is considered one of the worst safeties in the NFL by pretty much everyone I know, dunno how he'd make an overrated list lol.

Titan fans are generally aware of his horrendousness. As are nerds like me. But I get the sense that the casual non-Titans fan still perceives him as being a high caliber player.

I have a looooooong list of overrated players. Many fans can't go beyond the numbers and that's why we have so many people looked at like beast when they are just good, products of the system, or scheme-dependent (Nnamdi).

To name a few....

-Percy Harvin: The trade for him and the money he is making for a guy who can't really win on the outside. Again not garbage, but overrated.

-2012's rookie QBs (except Tannehill): They won games, they put up numbers, andT they all went to the playoffs. BUT to crown these young signal callers after ONE season is just crazy. The talent and potential is all there, but the hype machine is really too much for second year QBs right now. Again not garbage, but overrated.

-Richard Sherman: Yes he was a beast last year and yes he was All-Pro. But when fans and media start to call someone the best anything in the league you are talking about being elite and when you are talking about being elite you need more than one season of top notch play. Again not garbage, but overrated.

-J.J. Watt: His season was historic and he looked dominant a lot of times, but I haven't seen a hype machine like his in awhile. I am all for the awards and accolades when pertaining to last season cause it was amazing, but someone of the people trying to make it seem like he is just untouchable is too much because the scheme helps him and we have to seem him do it again. Him being overrated is purely because the hype is on another level. Again a beast, but overrated.

Just to throw out some different names, I'll say Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings are both very overrated after last year.

How??

Tim Jennings led the league in interceptions so he got a pro bowl vote and a spot on the top 100 which are both based on the 2012 season....how does that make him overrated? I see no all-pro claims or people making him out to be an elite corner, us Bears fans aren't even drooling over him. Not overrated at all.

Charles Tillman exact same situation...he received the glory he deserved for the season he had this year. I don't know too many educated fans who have called Tillman elite in any areas that aren't true which is ability to play physical with receivers, his tackling ability, and his ability to strip the ball. All skills that he has been good at for years and just got recognized for.

Jay Cutler isn't overrated at all in my opinion I think he goes right into the spot he belongs. When going by production (numbers) he doesn't fulfill his potential. When talking about pure skills he has probably one of the strongest arms in the league. I've seen one breakdown on ESPN about him and one article by Cosell that hit the issue on the head...and that is with his terrible QB mechanics he is not using close to 100% of his throwing power which makes it amazing that he can sling it as hard and as far as he does. Now we can talk one of the worst o-lines the last three years, and we can talk the lack of receivers before Marshall got here, but the fact is he takes A LOT of heat here in Chicago and I don't know many who would rank him top 15 and is looked at as nothing but unfilled potential so I can't see him being overrated.

-I've called JPP overrated last year and still think it's true. Nothing but potential

-DeMarcus Ware I believe will be exactly where he should be this year and that's a dominant DEFENSIVE END, but in the past being called one of the best LBs in the league was a complete overrating of a pass rusher.

-Schaub is slightly overrated because he has a good arm, but he isn't a game-winning type of QB and has big numbers due to some good weapons.

-Julius Peppers is probably one of the most overrated players I have had conversations about ever. The massive amount of natural athletic talent has completed blinded people to his actual game. Every year since he showed up I try to tell people that while he is one of the freakiest athletes to play the game he leans on that due to lack of football skill and technique.

Are you seriously arguing that the Ravens FO is infallible? Flacco had them over a barrel. What are they supposed to do, fire the guy who just won the SB with them?

Trent Dilfer says hello. :hiya:

Arian Foster, DMC, Earl Thomas, and Aldon Smith are at the top for me.

Just a few things to address before I get to my players:

1. Ray Rice is a beast.

2. Joe Flacco is NOT Tom Brady. The guy is a tad overrated and VASTLY overpaid.

3. Someone please explain to me how Foster is overrated.

4. I don't think anyone is overrating the rookie QBs. Last season was impressive from that standpoint, but I haven't seen anyone put any of those guys in the top 10 or anything. Saying that they're impressive and could become greats isn't really crowning them, imo.

5. Jared Allen might be the best pure pass rusher of our generation, and he's even improved against the run. The only guy who is definitely up there with him is D-Ware. Allen has 11 or more sacks in all but two years of his career. Those two years: 2004 (rookie) he had NINE, and in 2006 he had 7.5. He's had at least 14.5 FOUR times. He's forced 27 fumbles and recovered an incredible 17 fumbles. He's got 5 interceptions for crying out loud. He's a DE. He's got 45 pass deflections. N-A-S-T-Y

Anywho, I'd have to say that I agree with Jeff Fisher. I was gonna say him, but I was beaten to the punch. Is Fisher a good coach? Sure. Is he great? I don't think so. He is happy to run a system that would have won some rings 30 years ago, but his inability to change with the evolution of the game always held him back. He mixes hard-nosed D with a heavy dose of running the ball between the tackles. If it can be done effectively, it's gonna get you into the playoffs a lot. If you can't consistently draw up creative plays when vanilla isn't doing it for you though, you're not at that "next level" that people have put him in. Just because he was in Tennessee since they were Houston doesn't make him a Bill: Walsh. Parcels, or Belichick.

Many of you have known me for awhile here, so it should come as no surprise to see me put up the name Philip Rivers. For an explanation, please see the "Rivers is optimistic" thread in the AFC West forum.

Gay Slutler is just a waste of talent. He's got a big arm. At times he's accurate. I don't want to hear about his O-line though, because he's just not good. He underachieved in Denver, and now he's doing it in Chi-town. He's got one of the best WR's in the game, just as he did in Denver, and he just locks in on him. People say that Chicago has no other receiving threats, but how would we know that? Cutler Only throws to Marshal. He's starting to remind me of Matt Cassel with a strong arm.

This next one is gonna hurt me a little to say, but here goes: Alex Smith. UP TO THIS POINT, he hasn't ever really impressed me that much. He's efficient, and he has gotten better with his ball protection over the years, so I will say there's been steady improvement that I've noticed. He's just never really "wowed" me. I'm also not sure if he was just the product of a system or not. Andy Reid seems to be sold on him, so it's whatever, but Reid himself is close to making this list too. All that being said, I'm now a huge Alex Smith and Andy Reid supporter, and one good season from these guys is all it will take to sell me. :D Also for what it's worth, he's twice the QB that any Chiefs QB has been since Trent Green, so I'm okay with having him.

• Upvote 1

I've somehow missed this thread and don't feel like reading through six pages, so sorry if I repeat anyone or dig a discussion back up from page 3, but here goes:

the first guys that come to mind for me are Joe Flacco and the lesser Manning largely because of how much a QB's worth is driven by Super Bowl wins

I also have to echo the sentiment on Andrew Luck, he's good, but NFL.com has him rated as the #23 player on their top 100 from last year, he'll probably get there, but he ain't there yet

another guy I'll throw out there is Chris Johnson, as I explained in the underrated player thread everyone either underrates him or overrates him, though I don't think as many people overrate him at this point, I think there's still a group who thinks he's the best back in the league who's just been surrounded by shit talent, but the truth is he's had passable talent around him and the best back in the league shouldn't need great players around him to play well, he does some things really well, might be the fastest RB in the league, but he's not in the best runningback conversation

• Upvote 2

I've somehow missed this thread and don't feel like reading through six pages, so sorry if I repeat anyone or dig a discussion back up from page 3, but here goes:

the first guys that come to mind for me are Joe Flacco and the lesser Manning largely because of how much a QB's worth is driven by Super Bowl wins

I also have to echo the sentiment on Andrew Luck, he's good, but NFL.com has him rated as the #23 player on their top 100 from last year, he'll probably get there, but he ain't there yet

another guy I'll throw out there is Chris Johnson, as I explained in the underrated player thread everyone either underrates him or overrates him, though I don't think as many people overrate him at this point, I think there's still a group who thinks he's the best back in the league who's just been surrounded by shit talent, but the truth is he's had passable talent around him and the best back in the league shouldn't need great players around him to play well, he does some things really well, might be the fastest RB in the league, but he's not in the best runningback conversation

Nice to see a rational Titans fan. CJ is ok. He might even be good, but he's not sniffing the top 5, and right now he's probably not even top ten.

C.J is more then ok / average. C.J is a good running back. Majority of Titans fans overrate him so much that he becomes underrated. He technically only had one off season when he barely scratched 1,000 yards and got 1,047 yards (4.0 ypc) and people blew it out of proportion. Outside of that, he's had all good seasons. No one has averaged more yards than C.J in the last 5 years except Adrian Peterson. He's a good running back. Not top 5 though.

3. Someone please explain to me how Foster is overrated.

Nice post. I'll just respond to #3 as we've already gone back and forth on Rivers.

The reason why I believe Foster is overrated is because he creates less production on his own than the elite running backs that he's generally lumped in with. He's not elusive and he doesn't break many tackles. He's the typical Shanahan/Kubiak style one cut runner who has crazy production in that zone running attack. I fully admit that he is very good at making that one cut, very good at finding the hole/crease, and is a talented receiver. But I think he'd be exposed as an average talent in a normal scheme that required him to break tackles or make people miss more often.

And I feel pretty confident in that assessment, as that rushing scheme has a long track record of allowing average talents to put up huge numbers.

Nice post. I'll just respond to #3 as we've already gone back and forth on Rivers.

The reason why I believe Foster is overrated is because he creates less production on his own than the elite running backs that he's generally lumped in with. He's not elusive and he doesn't break many tackles. He's the typical Shanahan/Kubiak style one cut runner who has crazy production in that zone running attack. I fully admit that he is very good at making that one cut, very good at finding the hole/crease, and is a talented receiver. But I think he'd be exposed as an average talent in a normal scheme that required him to break tackles or make people miss more often.

And I feel pretty confident in that assessment, as that rushing scheme has a long track record of allowing average talents to put up huge numbers.

I see your logic, but when I've watched him I've been impressed with his explosiveness as well as his motor. He's got one speed, and it's GO GO GO. I'm not a big fan of shortchanging guys just because they have help. I get what you mean though. Still, I feel like there's just as big a chance that he would succeed in other systems as there is that he would struggle. As you said, he's got great vision and burst, plus he's no pansy. Though there are usually holes there, he always seems to take the right path. Plus, he's not just one of those guys that run until contact and then fall over. I like him, but I can see why others might not.

I see your logic, but when I've watched him I've been impressed with his explosiveness as well as his motor. He's got one speed, and it's GO GO GO. I'm not a big fan of shortchanging guys just because they have help. I get what you mean though. Still, I feel like there's just as big a chance that he would succeed in other systems as there is that he would struggle. As you said, he's got great vision and burst, plus he's no pansy. Though there are usually holes there, he always seems to take the right path. Plus, he's not just one of those guys that run until contact and then fall over. I like him, but I can see why others might not.

He's no scrub. But I think partially due to fantasy, he's thought of in that top tier of elite running backs. So technically I view him as being overrated because I think he belongs in a lower bracket, if you will.