Dutch

NFLs most overrated players (or coaches)

I remember reading a stat recently saying that Josh Freeman threw for 4,000 and 27 TDs this season. Something Flacco has never done. Not saying Freeman is better, he clearly isn't. But I think it kind of shows how overrated Flacco is, he isn't on the level of the top QBs in the league.

Big Ben rarely throws for 25+ TDs and he gets a pass. Flacco deserves one, too. Ben's better, as of right now, but Joe's closing the gap.

Edited by BwareDWare94

The Ravens would not pay an average QB 120 million. If they wanted an average QB, they would have go Carson Palmer for a fraction of the price.

It can definitely be argued he isnt worth the 120 million, but as an organization that hasnt historically overpayed for players (see Dannel Ellerbee) they wouldnt give him that contract if they thought he was average.

Are you seriously arguing that the Ravens FO is infallible? Flacco had them over a barrel. What are they supposed to do, fire the guy who just won the SB with them?

He is an average, run of the mill QB, and there are at least a dozen QBs put in his situation that would also have a ring on their finger. You are confusing the end result with the means to get there, and giving Flacco credit where it's not due. He's fringe top-10 at the outside. That is the highest I place him.

Giving your QB the credit for the wins when football is a team sport is error #1 on NFL.com and their analysts. It's why Tim Tebow was so hyped up. Just because you win does not make you great.

I don't care what the Ravens FO thinks. Joe Flacco is average- in the regular season. The Ravens know they have a good enough team that that doesn't really matter, so as long as he continues to perform in the postseason, they're okay.

Don't act like Flacco is carrying this team, because he ain't.

Comparing the Ravens pass D to the Patriots pass D the last two years and acting like they're even close is really funny. Put Brady in a Ravens uniform and the result is the same, just lopsided this time.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 2

Are you seriously arguing that the Ravens FO is infallible? Flacco had them over a barrel. What are they supposed to do, fire the guy who just won the SB with them?

He is an average, run of the mill QB, and there are at least a dozen QBs put in his situation that would also have a ring on their finger. You are confusing the end result with the means to get there, and giving Flacco credit where it's not due. He's fringe top-10 at the outside. That is the highest I place him.

Giving your QB the credit for the wins when football is a team sport is error #1 on NFL.com and their analysts. It's why Tim Tebow was so hyped up. Just because you win does not make you great.

I don't care what the Ravens FO thinks. Joe Flacco is average- in the regular season. The Ravens know they have a good enough team that that doesn't really matter, so as long as he continues to perform in the postseason, they're okay.

Don't act like Flacco is carrying this team, because he ain't.

Comparing the Ravens pass D to the Patriots pass D the last two years and acting like they're even close is really funny. Put Brady in a Ravens uniform and the result is the same, just lopsided this time.

I never said they are infallible, I said are one of the smartest FOs in the league, and definitely smarter than bother of us. And its not just because of one, its because he was instrumental in those wins. What average QB has broken or tied any postseason records? If you know of any, tell me.

I definitely do care what they think because they are payed professionals. Although their opinion shouldnt be the only factor in a stance either way, it certainly is a plus in my direction that what many consider the leagues best FO agrees he is worth 120 million.

I have already said many times that Cam Camerons dismissal was a big reason for Flaccos success. It would make sense if that led to him performing better in the regular season next year. Also, I'd much rather have a QB who is above average to good in the regular season and then great in the postseason.

The only QB actually carrying an insufficient team in this league is Aaron Rodgers. We all remember when Brady went down and Matt Cassel went 11-5. While some teams may be more QB dependent, that doesnt mean Flacco cannot be depended if the situation call for it (like if Rice and Pierce went down for the season).

Once again you fail to adress the fact that Brady has better weapons. Yes, the Ravens have a better defense, BUT, Brady has better weapons AND the Patriots played 2 of the aforementioned games at home.

I never said he was better than Brady, but to say he is not even on the same level given the fact that Flacco has outperformed him in the last 3 performances and he has worse weapons and he was away for 2 of the 3 games as well as the fact that he's the current Super Bowl MVP makes no sense.

I never said they are infallible, I said are one of the smartest FOs in the league, and definitely smarter than bother of us. And its not just because of one, its because he was instrumental in those wins. What average QB has broken or tied any postseason records? If you know of any, tell me.

I definitely do care what they think because they are payed professionals. Although their opinion shouldnt be the only factor in a stance either way, it certainly is a plus in my direction that what many consider the leagues best FO agrees he is worth 120 million.

I have already said many times that Cam Camerons dismissal was a big reason for Flaccos success. It would make sense if that led to him performing better in the regular season next year. Also, I'd much rather have a QB who is above average to good in the regular season and then great in the postseason.

The only QB actually carrying an insufficient team in this league is Aaron Rodgers. We all remember when Brady went down and Matt Cassel went 11-5. While some teams may be more QB dependent, that doesnt mean Flacco cannot be depended if the situation call for it (like if Rice and Pierce went down for the season).

Once again you fail to adress the fact that Brady has better weapons. Yes, the Ravens have a better defense, BUT, Brady has better weapons AND the Patriots played 2 of the aforementioned games at home.

I never said he was better than Brady, but to say he is not even on the same level given the fact that Flacco has outperformed him in the last 3 performances and he has worse weapons and he was away for 2 of the 3 games as well as the fact that he's the current Super Bowl MVP makes no sense.

You keep failing to address fact Brady hasnt always had better weapons.

Mark Rypien and Joe Namath. Both mediocre QB's who had some serious success in the post season.

Dont confuse the packs defense with the whole team. They are loaded at WR.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just want to say I like what the Ravens did this offseason, I think they actually improved their defense even though they lost two Hall of Famers. Like others have said, they really didn't have a choice with Flacco, but if the rest of the team is good enough to get you to the playoffs, we've seen him turn it on in the tournament, and that's when it counts most so what can you say?

You keep failing to address fact Brady hasnt always had better weapons.

Mark Rypien and Joe Namath. Both mediocre QB's who had some serious success in the post season.

Dont confuse the packs defense with the whole team. They are loaded at WR.

Shit, that was supposed to be a +1. I'll give you two +1's to make up for it. I usually don't botch rep jobs with my phone.

lol dont even worry about it dude. Far from concerned lol.

• Upvote 1

Joe Flacco.

Nope. Ravens were stuck and had no choice. Their paying him way too much money has no relevance to the conversation at all.

Yeah, way to look at 3 games and come to that conclusion.

And sure you would, as long as your team is good enough to actually get to the postseason when he plays average.

Oh god, this argument again. The Patriots schedule that year was absolute cheese. The people who try to bring up the Cassel situation as if that somehow says anything about Brady haven't done their homework.

Because its dumb. Your argument has too many variables. Flacco didn't outperform Brady, he beat a far worse defense than Brady was playing against. Congrats.

He hasn't outperformed, we went through this. Please quit using a completely misleading stat. I don't give two shits about Superbowl MVPs, they always go to the QB of the winning team. Flacco is nowhere near Brady's level, end of story.

Reche caldwell caught 68 passes from Brady. Before that he was not very good and after his stint in New england he was gone in two years. The Patriots went 11-5 for a reason that season and cassel was not the reason.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Jay Cutler screams overrated to me. I always hear, Cutler CAN do this and CAN do that, but I never see him do anything but the opposite lol.

Guys got a cannon arm, and attitude. that's it though.

Matt Schuab is another QB who is overrated.

Big Ben rarely throws for 25+ TDs and he gets a pass. Flacco deserves one, too. Ben's better, as of right now, but Joe's closing the gap.

Being a great QB is much more than throwing TD passes.

Matt Schuab is another QB who is overrated.

Great point this man is criminally overrated. He always gets touted as top 10, bottom ten is more like it.

Being a great QB is much more than throwing TD passes.

I have to disagree with this. I want my QB to throw TD's as much as possible. That would AT LEAST be 50% of his job in my eyes.

But why throw TD's when you can just run it in from the one?

I have to disagree with this. I want my QB to throw TD's as much as possible. That would AT LEAST be 50% of his job in my eyes.

You misunderstood me. I meant it's all about consistency, I'd take a guy who throws 25 TD's and 5 INT's over a guy who throws 40 TD's and 20 INT's.

You misunderstood me. I meant it's all about consistency, I'd take a guy who throws 25 TD's and 5 INT's over a guy who throws 40 TD's and 20 INT's.

Ahhhh, I would still take the guy with 40 to 20 lol.

• Upvote 1

Joe Flacco.

Nope. Ravens were stuck and had no choice. Their paying him way too much money has no relevance to the conversation at all.

Yeah, way to look at 3 games and come to that conclusion.

And sure you would, as long as your team is good enough to actually get to the postseason when he plays average.

Oh god, this argument again. The Patriots schedule that year was absolute cheese. The people who try to bring up the Cassel situation as if that somehow says anything about Brady haven't done their homework.

Because its dumb. Your argument has too many variables. Flacco didn't outperform Brady, he beat a far worse defense than Brady was playing against. Congrats.

He hasn't outperformed, we went through this. Please quit using a completely misleading stat. I don't give two shits about Superbowl MVPs, they always go to the QB of the winning team. Flacco is nowhere near Brady's level, end of story.

Dismissing my arguements does not make them wrong. Flacco has always had worse weapons than Brady, be it Gronk and Welker or Moss and Welker compared to Torrey and Pitta or an old as hell Mason and Heap. Plus, this doesnt matter because Im only talking about the last two seasons, so that point is irrelevant.

Yes, if someone outperforms you three times in a row at anything, it ussually means they are better than you (and the fact that Brady has much better weapons should all but cancel out the defensive disparity). However, I'm not saying Flacco is better. Im not saying the Ravens difference isnt better, Im just saying that since the Ravens defense was average last year, and the Pats were at home for 2 of the aforementioned games, Flacco DEFINITELY outperformed him. That shouldnt even be a center of this arguement since it is so obvoius.

Which would lead to me thinking he is on the same level as Brady, at least if he plays at that level consistently, which he has for the last 5 games in a row with a new offensive coordinator and another year of experience at the top stage.

Also a few side notes:

-Even if the schedule was easy 11-5 is still an impressive record, and Matt Cassel sucks. If he didnt have weapons and a good team behind him there is no way that would have happened.

-If he was an average QB, WHY WOULD THEY BE STUCK? Average by definition is not very hard to find. Carson Palmer is average. Matt Flynn could be average. Kevin Kolb is average when not injured. Matt Hasslebeck is average. If they wanted an average QB why not pick up any of these guys and save themselves 120 million?

Because even if you dont think so, the Ravens think Joe is a top teir QB, and their opinion is a lot more valid than either of ours.

JPP is pretty massively overrated.

• Upvote 1

Always thought Leon Hall wasn't that great. Joseph was the better of the two during their time in Cinci.

Just to throw out some different names, I'll say Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings are both very overrated after last year.

Jennings yes. Tillman deserved it after being ignored for years.

Edited by Bay