Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

Russia Passes Bill Making It Illegal To Tell Kids Gay People Exist

No this is not a joke...

http://thenewcivilri...013/06/11/68483

Editor's note: As this story was published, Russia passed the bill by a unanimous vote, 434-0.

Original story follows:

Russia today is voting on a Vladimir Putin supported bill that makes it illegal to tell children gay people exist or that homosexuality is equal to heterosexuality, and provides for fines, jail time, and deportation for those who violate the law.

"The bill provides for Russian citizens engaged in the 'propaganda of non-traditional sexual orientation' to be fined, while foreigners could be arrested and immediately deported," The Independent UK reports:

In recent weeks there have been two killings in which homophobia appears to have played at least a part, and the loose language of the law suggests that even services such as counselling for gay teenagers, or safe-sex advice, could theoretically be deemed illegal.

If the Duma passes the law in its key second reading, it could come into force by the end of the month.

A number of regions have already adopted a similar law, and now MPs from President Vladimir Putin's United Russia party want to implement a nationwide ban on "gay propaganda".

The law defines the rather nebulous concept as "spreading information aimed at forming non- traditional sexual behaviour among children, suggesting this behaviour is attractive, and making a false statement about the socially equal nature of traditional and non-traditional relationships".

"Gay activists gathered outside the parliament ahead of the vote and kissed in public but were outnumbered by several hundred supporters of the bill, some carrying religious icons," AFP adds:

A police spokesman said around 20 were detained in scuffles.

"Traditional sexual relations are relations between a man and a woman," one of the bill's authors, Yelena Mizulina of the left-leaning, Kremlin-friendly A Just Russia party, told lawmakers.

"These relations need special protection from the government."

UPDATE 10:20 AM EDT: As noted above, the bill passed as this story was published. The AP notes:

The bill still needs to be approved by the appointed upper house and signed into law by President Vladimir Putin, but neither step is in doubt.

Wait. This is the year 2013, right?

I read a version of this story on BBC, and it added that recent polls show that the Russian population in general is pretty anti-homosexual, where most polls show a majority of average Russians saying that they don't think homosexuals should have the same rights, in any respect, to heterosexual people.

:shrug: Whatever though, Russia and other countries have the right to have their own distinct culture and attitude to many things, no country should dicate to another country how they should live or what type of culture they should have or shouldn't have! :yep:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I read a version of this story on BBC, and it added that recent polls show that the Russian population in general is pretty anti-homosexual, where most polls show a majority of average Russians saying that they don't think homosexuals should have the same rights, in any respect, to heterosexual people.

:shrug: Whatever though, Russia and other countries have the right to have their own distinct culture and attitude to many things, no country should dicate to another country how they should live or what type of culture they should have or shouldn't have! :yep:

Yeah, you're right. The majority of German citizens were supporters of the Third Reich. Should've just let them be. Who're we to judge them for having wanted to exterminate those filthy Jews?

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Wait wtf?

434-0? Are you kidding me? Not a single person stood up against this? I think that's more shocking than Russia passing something like this.

• Upvote 1

Russia is the most corrupt country in Europe and one of the most corrupt countries on the planet. It doesn't surprise me at all that it was unanimous.

Russia is the most corrupt country in Europe

request_large_rage_comic_faces_for__1877054656.640x0.jpg

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

You're surprised that no one voted against a bill backed by Vladamir Putin?

Not shocking at all to me.

Ya, dunno why anyone would be surprised. Imagine what would happen if they stood up against it.

fire-proximity-suit-250x250.jpg

Ok now that I got my fire suit on for the flaming that is about to go down let us commence.

I UNDERSTAND what Cardinal is saying, or at least I think he is saying.

Most of you who have flamed him have agreed that this fucking war was pointless (the one the US is in). TO which I agree. Now when you look at how it started it goes further back then what most people think. Although, as TGP is a lot more on the up and up on politics I will assume that most of you know what I am about to say. I just need to say it so that it flows and blends into my next point.

I am of the belief that this war was in small part due to what G Dubs daddy started. Little dub wanted to show those gal dern ragheads what Texas justice was. While some of it I can attribute to oil, I think in some small way the Kurdish genocide was part of the reason dub senior decided to invade in the first place. So that led us to Desert Storm and then when his son got in we commenced Operation Lie Your Ass Off which we are still fighting.

20 years later people are asking why the fuck are we there and why are we interjecting ourselves in other peoples business ? Which brings me to Cardinals point. We are not the world police, and most of you agree with that sentiment (I think). So with that said, Cardinal may disagree with it, but seeing as it is not our country what should we do ? Nothing. AS their own sovereign country, I will be honest I dont really give a shit what Russia does. Is it wrong ? Yeah I think that it is pretty fucked. That said do I care enough to do anything about it, nope absolutely not. They have the right to do whatever the hell they want to their people, just as I have my right to think it is completely bullshit as is Cardinals.

So yeah you hate it. I understand that. Now what are you going to do ? Just be morally outraged? Cardinal never said he supported it, just that they have the power to do it. I agree. I dont support it, but they can do whatever the hell they want over their just dont try to push that shit on another country who has the right to run things as the see fit.

• Upvote 1

This is why one of the reason the United States is hated, we always feel the need to push our beliefs on other countries. Just because we believe in something doesn't make it right. I don't support this bill, but we're in no position to judge anyone.

Hmm. Ngata has a good point, I didn't think about his comment that way.

I disagree with Bucman, we can certainly judge them. But yes, I would not advise military force being used against them.

Im not saying we should go to war with Russia, but something shouldn't be respected just because it's a part of someone else's culture. They have "the right" to do this, but they should definitely be condemned for doing so. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

Im not saying we should go to war with Russia, but something shouldn't be respected just because it's a part of someone else's culture. They have "the right" to do this, but they should definitely be condemned for doing so. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

I hate to act like Cardinals counsel, but all he said was that they have the right. I dont think he ever said he condones it or that he supports it. Just that they have the right. Which you agreed to. I dont really think what he said was dismissive, although that is just my interpretation.

• Upvote 1

But we as a civilized country absolutely should try to get them to not be so awful. We did it to South Africa back in the day, and apartheid was a big part of their culture.

But we as a civilized country absolutely should try to get them to not be so awful. We did it to South Africa back in the day, and apartheid was a big part of their culture.

That is something I have mixed feelings about. I DO agree with you in principle. Here is what it always comes down to for me.

How would that conversation go ?

U.S.: "Hey, Russia you should really stop that. There is no reason to persecute people because of ideological, philosophical, and moral ideals. Remember Stalin, Lenin, Marx, and Nicholas ? That should give you plenty of reason to reconsider the path that you are on."

Russia: " It is really none of your business how we choose to run things (Putin is that kind of dick). We want our contry free of that filth."

U.S.: "Well if you dont..."

Russia: "... you will do what ?"

That is simple yes, but I think that is actually pretty similar to how the conversation would go. We can say you should not, but if they say fuck off, then what ? What do we do ? continue to be mad and outraged at something we can not change for nothing ? Keep on about it so they can use it as propaganda about how they stand up to the west and paint us to be people who interfere (our track record makes that easy) ? We obviously dont want a war. So when words fail, then what ?

All I am saying is Cardinal actually had a good point, and it was lumped in with the stuff that you think makes no sense. There is a valid point there. It is their right. We dont like it, but how are we going to change it ? Economic sanctions ? Did we not try that with Iraq and Iran ? Now look at us. As much as it sucks there is nothing we can do since it is their country to run. So our best policy imo is to stay out of it.

Cardinals post came off more as "we shouldn't try to stop them because its not right" rather then "we shouldn't try to stop them because its not possible."

I guess it is perception because I thought it was a pretty Vanilla statement. I took it as more of a,"Hey, remember where this shit got us when we got in a tizzy for things that were not our business ?" To each their own I guess.

Apartheid was never an essential part of South African culture, it was their political system based on viewing people through the prism of race, where if you were white or even "coloured" (mixed racial makeup) you had way more political and economic rights than asian, indian or black South Africans! :yep:

I don't completely disagree with your statement earlier about Russia. I have roughly the same read on that as Ngata. However, the way you describe apartheid above even makes it sound like a big part of their culture, Cardinal.

Edited by GA_Eagle

Apartheid was their culture due to legislation by the...something party, I forget, until around 1994.

Edit: The National Party from 1948-1994.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I don't completely disagree with your statement earlier about Russia. I have roughly the same read on that as Ngata. However, the way you describe apartheid above even makes it sound like a big part of their culture, Cardinal.

I understand what your saying. I was referring to political culture mostly, but the National Party of South Africa (they have closed down the party since 1994) choose to impose this government policy on all parts of South African culture before the new constitution came into effect in 1994! :yep:

I understand what your saying. I was referring to political culture mostly, but the National Party of South Africa (they have closed down the party since 1994) choose to impose this government policy on all parts of South African culture before the new constitution came into effect in 1994! :yep:

Way to repeat exactly what I said while saying nothing at all...