Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

How many current HOFers are playing?

It was in '05 motm: In 2005, Smith earned the NFL's receiving "triple crown", leading the league in receptions (103), yards (1,563) and touchdowns (12).

Steve Smith and his greatness gets overlooked for a down year or two and his piss-poor attitude. Unfortunate, but sure seems that way.

I actually would have agreed with you (though I would freely admit my anti-Dallas bias) but then I looked at their stats (both have played ten seasons):

Witten: 8948 yards and 44 TDs on 806 receptions

Gates: 8321 yards and 83 TDs on 632 receptions

Witten's TD numbers leave a bit to be desired, but other than that he's way above Gates, and for a decent look at where they're headed, here are their totals over the last six seasons:

Witten: 6110 yards and 30 TDs on 554 receptions

Gates: 4943 yards and 49 TDs on 377 receptions

between those two you've gotta take Witten hands down

Gates has slowed down most definitely (foot injury has killed him) while Witten is definitely more durable but TD wise and ypc wise Gates is better. And if anything it shows Gates does more with less. 180 less receptions yet he is only trailing by 600 yards?

Witten is more of a possession TE that is open 24/7 to where Gates was a big play TE.

Witten is more of a possession TE that is open 24/7 to where Gates was a big play TE.

Gates is trailing Witten yardage wise but he has 39 more touchdowns. That's pretty significant.

Now Witten is far better as a blocker, but as a receiver there's no comparison IMO. Gates has drawn double teams and beaten them for the better part of his career. Witten, while completely due his respect as a complete TE, has functioned more as an outlet than a featured receiver.

Gates is trailing Witten yardage wise but he has 39 more touchdowns. That's pretty significant.

Now Witten is far better as a blocker, but as a receiver there's no comparison IMO. Gates has drawn double teams and beaten them for the better part of his career. Witten, while completely due his respect as a complete TE, has functioned more as an outlet than a featured receiver.

Well yeah. I said Antonio Gates was more of a big play TE which includes TDs and explosive gains. Witten was more of a possession receiver. He got way more touches than Gates which is why he has more yards but Gates got a better average with his opportunities (big gains).

Witten is the epitome of the old school TE played to perfection. Gates is in the category of the revolutionary athletic TE that came after the originator Tony Gonzalez (both from basketball to football).

There's a guy who was only mentioned once and is surely a HoF candidate,Troy Polamalu.

The hall has not been incredibly kind to db's. Particularly safeties as of late. If there's someone on the fence at the position odds are they aren't getting in.

Robert Griffin III

:troll:

Definitely: Ed Reed, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Tony Gonzalez.

Probably: Jason Witten, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Calvin Johnson

Possibly: Aaron Rodgers, Larry Fitzgerald

Long shots: Justin Tuck, Trent williams, Joe Thomas

~Bang

Edited by Bang

Adam Vinatieri

John Abraham - It's probably that Abraham gets in but I hope he does one day.

Btw, we doing Coaches/ Staff?

There's a guy who was only mentioned once and is surely a HoF candidate,Troy Polamalu.

Idk if Steve Atwater isn't even being mentioned I don't know if polomalu will be. He isn't a big numbers guy like Ed reed

I love Steve Smith, and he's definitely a HOF talent imo. That being said, I don't see him ever getting in. You guys have to remember that Tim Brown was second in nearly every meaningful receiving category, and he's still not in. Art Monk was second as well, and he had rings. It takes a lot for a WR to get in, and as previously mentioned, there's a back log of guys still waiting and deserving to get in.

With TO, Moss, and the likes still not eligible, the WR pool is as crowded as the neighborhood pool on free visitor day. It's also historically one of the most fickle positions to be picked for HOF induction. I'm not even sure if anyone knows what the criteria is, including the voters. All I know is that tons of TD's and consistent playoff appearances are looked upon favorably.

JJ Watt

Ed Reed

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Larry Fitzgerald

Maurice Jones-Drew

Adrian Peterson

Randy Moss

Calvin Johnson

Ben Roethlisberger

Earl Thomas

Patrick Willis

Vince Wilfork

Steve Hutchinson

Jeff Saturday

Reggie Wayne

Wes Welker

Roddy White

Ray Rice

Tony Gonzalez

Jason Witten

AJ Green

Luke Kuechley

Darelle Revis

Richard Sherman

Haloti Ngata

Ronde Barber

London Fletcher

Von Miller

Tamba Hali

Jason Pierre-Paul

Dwight Freeney

Champ Bailey

Alex Mack

Drew Brees

Trent Richardson

Eric Weddle

Jared Allen

Julius Peppers

And all the good offensive linemen

No one has mentioned Steve Smith so far. What do you guys think his chances are of getting in?

Stats:

11 seasons, (2006 he only played the one game), 11,452 yards, 772 receptions, 63 TDs.

Oh and this little tidbit: In 2011 Steve Smith was named by Jerry Rice the best receiver in the game.

Steve Smith forgot about, he is a definite yes

Steve Smith forgot about, he is a definite yes

Idk, Steve smith could easily be the next Tim brown

Pure pass rushers like Jared Allen and Jon Abraham do not belong in the hall of fame.

As far as guys who could make it.

Marshall Yanda (possibly)

Geno Atkins (little early but looking good)

Daryl Washington (call it a guy feeling)

As far as guys who could make it.

Marshall Yanda (possibly)

Geno Atkins (little early but looking good)

Daryl Washington (call it a guy feeling)

Who else do you have guy feelings about?

• Upvote 2

Who else do you have guy feelings about?

I see what you did there

I think Steve Smith will be the next Art Monk, he'll be a finalist for years with Carolina fans screaming that he belongs then once we're far enough removed and guys like Moss and TO (who I think will take a couple years kinda like Irvin) are in everyone will realize just how good Smith was for a long stretch time and he'll get voted in

Having arguably the 2nd-3rd best WR of all time wait to get into Canton would be blasphemy and utterly ridiculous on their part.

Edited by dutchff7

Having arguably the 2nd-3rd best WR of all time wait to get into Canton would be blasphemy and utterly ridiculous on their part.

it was pretty absurd to make Irvin wait three years, but it still happened, I wouldn't be surprised if TO is a first ballot guy, he's definitely got a better resume than Irvin as far as stats and overall individual performance (he doesn't have the rings, but that's not huge for a WR) but I also wouldn't be surprised if enough of the voters got pissy about his off-field antics and held him up a year or two

Edited by oochymp

it was pretty absurd to make Irvin wait three years, but it still happened, I wouldn't be surprised if TO is a first ballot guy, he's definitely got a better resume than Irvin as far as stats and overall individual performance (he doesn't have the rings, but that's not huge for a WR) but I also wouldn't be surprised if enough of the voters got pissy about his off-field antics and held him up a year or two

Pretty much...let's ask Ricky Watters how that's been going for him.

Devin Hester. He needs about two or three more returns for TD's, and then he's probably in. Desmond Howard does his commencement speech. :dance:

• Upvote 1

Devin Hester. He needs about two or three more returns for TD's, and then he's probably in. Desmond Howard does his commencement speech. :dance:

Good pick and probably will be a controversial one after he retires. I for one believe that Hester should be in the Hall of Fame. When you are the greatest of all time at something (position), you deserve to be in Canton. :HOF: