• Arian Foster (Texans)
    • Ray Rice (Ravens)
    • MJD (Jags)
    • Chris Johnson (Titans)
    • Lesean McCoy (Eagles)
    • Doug Martin (Bucs)
    • Alfred Morris (Redskins)
    • Other

Everyone can agree that AP is the best RB in the NFL, but after that there are a lot of names in the mix. I wanted to make this a poll to see what the general concession was here on TGP of who is the #2 back in the NFL.

I went with Lesean McCoy. He really has everything you look for in a back, and despite not even being used to his full potential by Andy Reid, he still has put up some pretty damn good numbers.

Normally it'd be a healthy, not bitchy MJD. Now though...

I think it's Jamaal Charles.

I voted other, because my two best guesses as to who the 2nd best running back will be in 2013 are Spiller and Martin. Spiller isn't listen (for shame!).

I'm an Eagles fan. Obviously I love LeSean McCoy. He's fucking awesome. But I think there are 2 or 3 backs in the league slightly better than him.

I went with Jamaal Charles. The amount of yards he gets per carry is just insane. He gets his well share of yards every time he touches the ball. He's a home run hitter from everywhere on the field and his speed has to be respected.

Who I project it's going to be for next year is none other then Lesean Mccoy. He's finally going to get the carries he deserves :yep:

I voted other, because my two best guesses as to who the 2nd best running back will be in 2013 are Spiller and Martin. Spiller isn't listen (for shame!).

You're always projecting lol. That's fine and all but who do you believe is the best now? More of a what have you done for me lately instead of what I think you will do for me tomorrow.

Edited by dutchff7

I can't honestly believe I'm the first person to vote for Marshawn Lynch.

• Upvote 1

I went with Jamaal Charles. The amount of yards he gets per carry is just insane. He gets his well share of yards every time he touches the ball. He's a home run hitter from everywhere on the field and his speed has to be respected.

Who I project it's going to be for next year is none other then Lesean Mccoy. He's finally going to get the carries he deserves :yep:

You're always projecting lol. That's fine and all but who do you believe is the best now. More of a what have you done for me lately instead of what I think you will do for me tomorrow.

The way I see it, why tout the guys who were better last year if I feel like others are going to be better this year.

And even if it's just "what have you done for me lately" one can make the case that Spiller was better on any given down than Charles was last year.

Charles: 285 carries, 1509 yards, 5.3 YPC, 5 TD, 35 receptions, 236 yards, 6.7 YPR, 1 TD, 5 Fumbles

Spiller: 207 carries, 1244 yards, 6.0 YPC, 6 TD, 43 receptions, 459 yards, 10.7 YPC, 2 TD, 3 Fumbles

Spiller was better in every single way, except that he trailed Charles by 43 yards from scrimmage (on 70 fewer touches). They played in comparable zone heavy schemes on earily similar offenses (both had bad QB's, good OL's, one decent pass catcher, and so-so defense). Both are home run hitters (actually, Spiller had 12 runs of 20+ yards to Charles' 11). Per Footballoutsiders, Spiller broke 34 tackles last year. You have to have broken 20 to make the list, and Charles didn't make the list. So Spiller broke at least 15 more tackles than Spiller.

So I guess my answer is the same regardless of projection or here and now: Spiller :D

Jamaal Charles. Nothing that can be said will change my mind.

• Upvote 1

The way I see it, why tout the guys who were better last year if I feel like others are going to be better this year.

And even if it's just "what have you done for me lately" one can make the case that Spiller was better on any given down than Charles was last year.

Charles: 285 carries, 1509 yards, 5.3 YPC, 5 TD, 35 receptions, 236 yards, 6.7 YPR, 1 TD, 5 Fumbles

Spiller: 207 carries, 1244 yards, 6.0 YPC, 6 TD, 43 receptions, 459 yards, 10.7 YPC, 2 TD, 3 Fumbles

Spiller was better in every single way, except that he trailed Charles by 43 yards from scrimmage (on 70 fewer touches). They played in comparable zone heavy schemes on earily similar offenses (both had bad QB's, good OL's, one decent pass catcher, and so-so defense). Both are home run hitters (actually, Spiller had 12 runs of 20+ yards to Charles' 11). Per Footballoutsiders, Spiller broke 34 tackles last year. You have to have broken 20 to make the list, and Charles didn't make the list. So Spiller broke at least 15 more tackles than Spiller.

So I guess my answer is the same regardless of projection or here and now: Spiller :D

Oh, okay lol. Well I wasn't comparing him against Charles or critiquing your pick. You addressed your post for next years pick when the thread is aimed for the present. I was just asking for your 2012 pick instead of your 2013 projection pick. But now you just revealed that C.J Spiller was your last years pick as well which is all I wanted to know.

Edited by dutchff7

This is very hard. I'm going with McCoy though. We'll see how Chip utilizes him this year, he's gotta be the main piece in that offense. So we'll see the type of numbers he puts up now that he'll be used like Charles has been. Spiller is very intriguing too. Only thing with him is how much has he benefited off the tough running and change of pace of Fred Jackson. I'm gonna stick with McCoy.

Beast mode. 3rd would be JC.

I've stated that on multiple occasions,it's Jamaal Charles.

So no one thinks that Spiller, who had 43 less yard on 70 fewer touches, scored more touchdowns, fumbled less, had more big runs, and broke more tackles was better than Charles last year?

So no one thinks that Spiller, who had 43 less yard on 70 fewer touches, scored more touchdowns, fumbled less, had more big runs, and broke more tackles was better than Charles last year?

If Spiller continues to capitalize on what he did last year, I'm completely in your corner. He and Charles are the most explosive backs in the league besides AP. The only real difference is that Charles has been playing at a high level for a longer period, and that's why he gets my nod as well.

There's a good read on CHFF that breaks down how amazing Charles has been over the span of his career. Did you know he currently holds the best career YPC average in history? I didn't. He won't be able to supplant Jim Brown as the all-time leader until he reaches a certain number of carries though.

Edit: I stand corrected...here's an article officially giving him the title...

Charles Makes History

Edited by Phins4life
  • Upvote 1

I voted for Lynch.. he's not the prettiest, he's not the fastest,, but damn if he isn't a BEAST of a running back.

~Bang

I voted for Lynch.. he's not the prettiest, he's not the fastest,, but damn if he isn't a BEAST of a running back.

~Bang

Lynch isn't good enough receiver for me to rate him #2.

If Spiller continues to capitalize on what he did last year, I'm completely in your corner. He and Charles are the most explosive backs in the league besides AP. The only real difference is that Charles has been playing at a high level for a longer period, and that's why he gets my nod as well.

There's a good read on CHFF that breaks down how amazing Charles has been over the span of his career. Did you know he currently holds the best career YPC average in history? I didn't. He won't be able to supplant Jim Brown as the all-time leader until he reaches a certain number of carries though.

Edit: I stand corrected...here's an article officially giving him the title...

Charles Makes History

Basically this. +1 when it's off cooldown. I put a lot of stock into consistency. You have to earn your stripes and be great for more then 1 year to be in any top categories.

Healthy, it's MJD. But that's getting harder and harder to guarantee. I picked Charles because like AP, defenses know that he's coming and they still can't stop him. He may have a down year under Reid though.

Basically this. +1 when it's off cooldown. I put a lot of stock into consistency. You have to earn your stripes and be great for more then 1 year to be in any top categories.

I guess I'm saying that Spiller will go off when he gets the carries he deserves just as people said about Charles and say about McCoy.

I guess I'm saying that Spiller will go off when he gets the carries he deserves just as people said about Charles and say about McCoy.

We are agreeing that Spiller could and probably should improve on last year with the additional carries, but it isn't fair to place him above a guy who's already proven he's arguably the second best in the league. If all we do is give out points for potential, then RG3 is gonna win 4 Super Bowls and smash all the former QB rushing records while still being one of the most efficient passers in the game. See what I mean? Saying what Spiller is likely to do is only meeting the criteria halfway.

I got your back Kemp (surprise). People underestimate how much the coaches mishandled Spiller last year.

Awesome back up lol. Maybe underutilized more then mishandled; I'm not sure. Didn't watch a lot of Bills games.

I think Spiller will have a great year and be within the talks of the top RBs next year. Just seemed to be a bit premature after only 1 season. Let him put together another good 1000 yard season and I'll definitely be on board as far as top 10 discussion.

Edited by dutchff7