Bay

Official preseason discussion thread

Liked what I saw from Vance McDonald. Could be in for a big rookie year.

Don't worry. We can't stand him either.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your analysis. Christine Michael looked incredible. Byron Maxwell and Chris Maragos made some good plays. Jermaine Kearse looked improved, thought he still slightly mis-timed a couple balls. Overall good day of beasting for the Seahawks twos and threes.

As for your guys. Your first string definately looked good for the one drive they were out. Rivers actually resembled the Rivers of old. Then, even after both sides put their number ones away the score stayed pretty low and tight for awhile. I was impressed by your depth actually. In the end ours proved better and we ran away with it, but I saw a deeper and stronger Chargers roster than I expected. Might be a good year for you guys.

It was a lot better than I was expecting. I actually went around and read a bunch of game recaps by 3rd party viewers just to make sure I wasn't skewing reality and they basically saw what I saw. I'm encouraged that when the one's were on the field, we could hang with Seattle's starters. Which is no slight to the Seahawks. Actually I mean it as a compliment.

Duke IHENACHO! Man is the real deal.

Dude was the best guy on the field last night on either team.

Vance McDonald was most impressive for 49ers.

While Denvers D line was improved, SF's line is still a nasty bunch of Hogs.

Kaepernick elusiveness showed again. Von beat the RT soundly and Kaep was able to evade long enough to get rid of it.

Jay Cutler's very first pass was picked off by Josh Norman. Absolutely hilarious.

Mark Sanchez doesn't even want the starting job. He's throwing it away, literally. You know it's football season when Sanchez throws a pick six. Geno Smith twisted his ankle in the third, the gods are on Sanchez' side, for now.

1/2, 15 yards, 1 INT.

The stat line of the future MVP.

The good/bad from Packers preseason game 1 vs. Cardinals:

Good:

- Our defensive starters played well even without Tramon Williams or Casey Hayward, our #1 and #2 Cornerbacks. Perry is still playing with a cast on his left hand, too.

- Johnny Jolly looks strong and managed to take a lot of double teams and made a few plays. Played most of the game, looks like we're gonna test his conditioning. I think if he keeps up the way he's playing he'll make the 53-man roster. I'm pulling for him.

- Vince Young doesn't look half bad.

- Few WR youngsters stepping up (Boykin and Ross)

Bad:

- Once we put in secondary backups (past Burnett, McMillan, Jennings, House, and Shields, that is) the floodgates opened. We could't stop Ryan Lindley or Drew Stanton from passing on us. I know that they'll hardly get any time in regular season if they make the team, but it's unsettling to see that if an injury happens, they'll see the field more.

- Every backup QB except Vince Young. Young has been on the team for less than a week and looks better than the two who have been here for years. Harrell's drives were interception, fumble, punt, punt... punt... punt. I figure give Young another week and the #2 QB job will be his to lose. After that it's a battle of which of the two Coleman/Harrell gets cut and which gets practice squad duties.

- Running game doesn't look that great. I know that Lacy was out, but Starks and Green don't look good. They're both as good as gone. Franklin looked decent in very limited snaps.

Notable players who need to play better to make the team: BJ Coleman, Graham Harrell, James Starks, Alex Green.

Players to watch: Tyrone Walker, Micah Hyde

I realize it's only preseason game one but we looked horrible. Our defense still looks soft and gave up quite a few missed tackles.

The Ansah looked good INT aside. Preseason games mean nothing to me, but it's the best time to workout those horrible mental mistakes our LBs are making.

1/2, 15 yards, 1 INT.

The stat line of the future MVP.

In Ponder's defense, his interception bounced right off the hands of Simpson. The pass was a little further out front than optimal, but still a very catchable pass.

In Ponder's defense, his interception bounced right off the hands of Simpson. The pass was a little further out front than optimal, but still a very catchable pass.

Then, I retract my statement. I wasn't able to watch any of the game because I lack the coverage (I think?). Do you have any links to highlights? I heard our receivers did quite well, but the NFL.com highlights aren't working like usual (because NFL.com is atrociously awful).

Guest Phailadelphia

JJ Wilcox is a football player.

Then, I retract my statement. I wasn't able to watch any of the game because I lack the coverage (I think?). Do you have any links to highlights? I heard our receivers did quite well, but the NFL.com highlights aren't working like usual (because NFL.com is atrociously awful).

Vikings.com has a couple of the biggest highlights.

Vikings.com has a couple of the biggest highlights.

I check there for articles, but the video links never work for me. I'll try the mobile app.

Seattle looked a tad bit flat off the bat, which may have to do with Pete easing off the intensity of training camp this year, but Jermaine Kearse is the truth. We really needed a young receiver to step up and he did just that. Also, Byron Maxwell is a fricken beast. If either Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner, or Antoine Winfield get hurt, this dude will step right in and swag all over the place.

Rookie runningback Spencer Ware was a DAMN good draft pick, as well. Cuts, catches, and explodes. Hard to keep him and Robert Turbin off the field all year, but you gotta roll with Marshawn Lynch as much as you can while he's still in that prime of his.

Man it's gunna be a good year :rock:

How did the Packer's pass-blocking and running game look without Bulaga?

Any news on Floyd's injury? I'm not seeing anything on Vikings.com or the Vikings mobile app.

Any news on Floyd's injury? I'm not seeing anything on Vikings.com or the Vikings mobile app.

"He should be fine," coach Leslie Frazier said after the Vikings' 27-13 loss. "We could have put him back in the game, but decided (with) where we were at this time of the year we didn't (need to)."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_Sharrif_Floyd_OK_after_leaving_because_of_knee_injury081013

• Upvote 1

Just some brief thoughts on the Pats game last night...

- Running game looked fucking beastly. Potential to be a top 3 rushing unit this season. Had Bolden making the roster over Blount, but no chance that happens.

- Brady and his young receivers looked very sharp. The hype is real with Kenbrell and Dobson.

- TE Zach Sudfeld has been looking good all offseason and was impressive as fuck last night. Could be a huge contributor this season.

- Mallett was okay. Several drops made him look bad.

- Tebow... :badass:

- Defense was flat out mediocre. A few players shined, but overall they looked pretty vanilla.

And EDP's rant for all you Eagles fans...

And EDP's rant for all you Eagles fans...

I hate that majority of our fan base represents us in this manner; like fucking retards.

Carolina overall did well. Had a pick six by Cam who forced a throw but the defense held Chicago to three points for most of the game.

2 Ints (one a pick 6) 7 Sacks and limited Chicago to zero yards rushing (through 3 Quarters)

It is Vanilla against Vanilla. Nice to see a good pass rush and some good plays by the defensive back field.

Barner looks like he might be a steal of us. Ran the ball well even between the tackles. His only flaw was he was involved in 2 fumbles. One of his own and the other a poor exchange between him and Clausen. The fumble was charged to Clausen but Barner had a hand in it as well.

Pretty happy with the performance.

Win or Loss it was a good showing.

It will be fun to see how we fair against Philly and that fast pace offense Kelly is incorporating.

Edited by DavethePanther