Vin

Dolphins @ Browns

Following a busy offseason that included the addition of a game-breaking receiver, the Miami Dolphins are looking to end their playoff drought with a breakout year from Ryan Tannehill.

The Cleveland Browns are hoping to do the same behind their own second-year standout.

Tannehill and the revamped Dolphins will try to deal Trent Richardson and the Browns their ninth straight season-opening loss Sunday when Rob Chudzinski makes his debut as Cleveland's coach.

After going 7-9 last season for their fourth straight losing year - the franchise's longest such skid since the 1960s - the Dolphins have their sights set on reaching the playoffs for the second time since 2001. They certainly had their chances in 2012, dropping five games by a touchdown or less.

That's a trend they'd like to end as Tannehill tries to build on a debut season in which he completed 58.3 percent of his passes for 3,294 yards - more than fellow rookies Robert Griffin III or Russell Wilson - and had a 121.3 passer rating in the red zone over his last seven games.

Tannehill threw 13 interceptions and totaled just 12 scoring strikes - including only three to wideouts - but showed improvement with five touchdowns while getting picked off once over his final four games.

"I see things much quicker than I did," Tannehill said. "It's my second year and I can't have the same growing pains than I did in the first year. You have to be able to make the plays when they're there."

Miami sought to improve the NFL's 27th-ranked offense by adding deep threat Mike Wallace, who finished with 64 catches for 836 yards and eight touchdowns for Pittsburgh last season. The Dolphins were tied for 25th in the NFL with seven touchdowns of 20-plus yards in 2012, while Wallace has 21 over his four-year career.

The Dolphins also added receiver Brandon Gibson from St. Louis and tight end Dustin Keller from the Jets, though Keller has been lost for the season after dislocating his right knee in the third preseason game.

"I like what I see,'' Tannehill said. "I think we have a lot of talent on the field, a lot of guys who can get open, catch the ball and do something with it when they get the ball in their hands. I'm excited we have playmakers. Now it's just a matter of putting the puzzle together and doing a good job myself of giving them the ball.''

Protection, however, could be a concern after left tackle Jake Long departed for St. Louis. The offensive line also will try to create some holes for Lamar Miller, who is expected to replace the departed Reggie Bush as the starting running back.

Miami hopes to expose a Cleveland defense that allowed 363.8 yards per game last season to rank 23rd in the NFL.

The Browns, though, have transitioned from a 4-3 defense into a 3-4 scheme and signed free agent linebackers Paul Kruger and Quentin Groves along with end Desmond Bryant. They also drafted linebacker Barkevious Mingo, who is uncertain for Sunday as he recovers from a bruised lung.

Cleveland may be able to keep its defense off the field by giving the ball to Richardson. With his ribs healed, a lighter Richardson looks to put together a breakout year of his own after rushing for a franchise rookie-record 950 yards and 11 touchdowns on 267 carries despite playing more than half of last season with two broken ribs.

"I'm looking towards no injury, no broken fingernails, nothing,'' said Richardson, who also caught 51 passes for 367 yards and a touchdown. "I know my whole season is based on being healthy and playing 16 games and hopefully in the playoffs.''

Chudzinski, the franchise's seventh coach since 1999, will try to end Cleveland's 10-year playoff drought after serving as Carolina's offensive coordinator the past two seasons. He was also the Browns' offensive coordinator in 2007, when they last finished with a winning record.

Chudzinski and new offensive coordinator Norv Turner will try to get the most out of quarterback Brandon Weeden, who threw for a franchise rookie-record 3,385 yards - second only to Andrew Luck among first-year players - with 14 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 2012.

The 29-year-old Weeden had his share of troubles at home, throwing five touchdowns and 12 interceptions while completing 54.2 percent of his passes.

He faces a Miami defense that ranked 27th against the pass last season, but Weeden won't have his top target for the first two games as wide receiver Josh Gordon was suspended for failing the league's drug policy. Former Dolphin Davone Bess could help after signing with Cleveland in the offseason.

After tying for fourth-worst in the NFL with 16 takeaways last year, Miami looked to improve in that area by adding cornerback Brent Grimes and linebackers Dannell Ellerbe, Philip Wheeler and top draft pick Dion Jordan.

"I'm going to be excited,'' said Jordan, who is expected to play Sunday despite missing the final three exhibition games because of a lingering shoulder injury. "I'm just going to probably have to control my emotions."

Miami has lost four straight games to Cleveland.

Copyright 2013 by STATS LLC.

Dolphins have the more well rounded team and we're missing Josh Gordon. I think the Fins win this one.

Miami will WIN this game for sure...

PHINS UP! , GO DOLPHINS!!!

:dolphins: 24

:Browns: 20

It's all down to Old Weed. He plays well, the Browns shoould win. He doesn't, and they should lose.

I going with the Browns on this one. I know Josh Gordon is out but I think Browns still pull it off. It will be interesting to see Norv Turners offense and Ray Horton defense (even though I liked their 4-3 setup).

:Browns: 27

:dolphins: 20:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Browns LE Ahtyba Rubin (calf) is not expected to play on Sunday versus Miami.

Rubin is listed as questionable on the injury report after injuring the calf in Friday's practice. It's a big loss for the Cleveland defense. John Hughes and Billy Winn will fill in next to NT Phil Taylor and opposite RE Desmond Bryant.

Dolphins declared RB Mike Gillislee inactive for Sunday's Week 1 game against the Browns.

Gillislee, a fifth-round rookie, squeaked onto the roster ahead of Jonas Gray. He'll still need an injury to either Lamar Miller or Daniel Thomas to make an impact this season.
The rest of the Dolphins inactives: QB Pat Devlin, CB Will Davis, CB Jamar Taylor, LB Josh Kaddu, OL Danny Watkins and OL Dallas Thomas.

Browns declared LE Ahtyba Rubin (calf) inactive for Sunday's game against the Dolphins.

It's a major upgrade for Lamar Miller and the Dolphins running game. Rubin hurt the calf during Friday's practice, leaving Billy Winn as the starter at left end. The Browns will have starting right corner Buster Skrine (shoulder).
Their inactives: QB Brian Hoyer, TE MarQueis Gray, OLB Barkevious Mingo, OT Martin Wallace, G Shawn Lauvao and LB Paul Hazel.

Some third-party observations:

• Trent Richardson is a very good running back. He reminds me of Adrian Peterson, fighting for every yard, always getting 3-4 more yards than he should.
  • Jordan Cameron is definitely living up to his preseason hype. He made a bunch of athletic catches today and is turning into Brandon Weeden's favorite target (though Josh Gordon is suspended). Speaking of...
  • Weeden had a very rough game. Not all his interceptions were his fault, but he tried throwing into too many tight windows, and the Dolphins made him pay.
  • Cameron Wake is a monster. I know this is not breaking news, but it's worth repeating. He was unblockable today.
  • Ryan Tannehill is a decent captain checkdown style quarterback, but he gets no help from the running game because Miami's offensive line gets no push. I think a lot of it may have been the strength of Cleveland's defensive line, but the Dolphins were very one-dimensional today.
  • Joe Haden shut Mike Wallace down, big time.

I think that's about it. Both teams, overall, looked somewhat mediocre, but turnovers propelled Miami to victory.

• Upvote 1

Brandon Old Weed showing more of the same. <_ still not ready to hop on the t-rich is good train.>

Non-third party thoughts:

- Fuck Oniel Cousins

- Fuck Cameron Wake

- Fuck Greg Little

- Fuck you

Who the hell is negging for picking the wrong team? Come on now.

Wait nvm, NFLLady...

Edited by Bay

Richardson is downright deadly in the open field. But nobody on the line could get him there today.

Richardson was not on the field on multiple key plays. Bad decision.

Jordan Cameron was better than I expected. He could be Weeden's go to guy this season. Good thing because he seems to be the only one who can hang onto the ball. Greg Little is just disappointing again after a season of improvement. Someone really needs to step up in this department or we're in for another 4-5 win season if we're lucky.

3rd down defense was horrific. 3rd down offense was the same. That's what the game is all about.

To many penalties. Oniel Cousins and Buster Skrine just need to go.

:Browns: 27

:dolphins: 21

:dolphins: 23

:Browns: 10

Well, regular season Weeden is back. We'll see what this Browns team looks like when Gordon and Mingo are back in the lineup, but it seems like the hype went a little too far. This roster is still close- they may just need to go another direction at QB. Cameron Wake is a monster.

Well that didn't take long, Mike Wallace already complaining about not getting the football.

When asked about it he said, "I don't want to talk about it, it's not my gameplay though." Lol

Mike Wallace got shut down, just like his mouth should be. Unfortunately Dolphins shut everyone down except Cameron.

We abandoned the run game just like Shurmur used to. 3rd and 2 and you have TRich on the sideline? For real? Weeden is who I thought he was. Panics under pressure and just falls apart. Throws 100mph at a receivers hands as they're diving for the ball. Throws above and behind receivers. His accuracy is horrible. Can't hit a fucking guy in the numbers. He sucks.