Bucman

Official 2014 NBA OffSeason

Apparently Kidd wants to play Giannis Antetokounmpo at PG. :rofl: oh shit it's too much

Man Napier has been straight shit in the summer league 2/16 shooting today for 8 points :yao:.

Melo took five less than the max. Guess it had nothing to do with the money guys! :badass:

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Melo took five less than the max. Guess it had nothing to do with the money guys! :badass:

With the Bulls it did. He would have been asked to take a MASSIVE pay cut. With the Lakers he just realized that Kobe and Pau are both over the hill and the Lakers have nothing to offer him that the Knicks don't already. Would have been completely retarded to go to LA unless the Clippers were able to figure something out (lolwut did I just say that?) and with Houston, I think Daryl Morey is the only person who didn't know there was no way that Melo, Harden and Howard could have co-existed. Melo going back to NY was really the only choice to make from the beginning, lets be real here.

With the Bulls it did. He would have been asked to take a MASSIVE pay cut. With the Lakers he just realized that Kobe and Pau are both over the hill and the Lakers have nothing to offer him that the Knicks don't already. Would have been completely retarded to go to LA unless the Clippers were able to figure something out (lolwut did I just say that?) and with Houston, I think Daryl Morey is the only person who didn't know there was no way that Melo, Harden and Howard could have co-existed. Melo going back to NY was really the only choice to make from the beginning, lets be real here.

Actually if we were able to send off Boozer we might have gotten closer to the max (19-20M/yr). That wasn't really feasible though. And if NY agreed to S&T, we could have paid him the max.

I really think what it came down to was he didn't want to leave NY. We offered him a 2 year contract with a player option for turning it into a max contract after 2 years and he apparently turned that down to stay in NY. I don't blame him for wanting to stay there though.

Edit- and while I agree that NY was the most likely from the beginning, I don't think he had already made up his mind. I highly doubt that Houston and Dallas ever entered serious consideration, but LA and especially Chicago I actually believe really made an impact on him. Mo' money and staying home is too much to pass up though.

Edited by badgers

TJ Warren looking pretty good so far in summer league!

I agree with you that that's kind of the fan philosophy these days but when is the last time a Chicago team has one a championship by doing it like that? I don't even remember lol. Even the 90s Bulls dipped into FA effectively, nabbing Rodman. The days of relying on your draft are gone. Take the Blackhawks for example. We've won 2 of the last 5 Stanley Cups. Why? Because we have the most talented roster in the NHL. We have our flaws, sure, but as far as pure talent goes, the Blackhawks are at, or at least very near, the top. Obviously Toews, Kane, Keith, etc. were built here, and they're the major faces of the franchise. But we've added on too there. Hossa, Sharp, Oduya being prime example.

The days of building championship teams from the ground up are basically gone. You've gotta dip your hand into FA to win. It doesn't have to be frequently, but it sure as hell as to be effectively. As for the Bulls, it hasn't been all that effective over the past few years and we're seeing where it gets us. Perennial playoff team, perennial early exiters. If DRose can stay healthy :pray: we'll see. I wanted Melo as (at the very least) an insurance plan for Rose, and if Rose did stay healthy, we'd have double trouble in Chicago.

Anyways, about Pau I agree. I don't want to see him starting. Pau should get big minutes off the bench, though.

Also in reply to the Philly guy as well....

I will start off by saying that I 100% agree that the NBA draft is producing underwhelming talent on a yearly basis. We are seeing at most five solid players coming out of the draft. This is another discussion on where basketball is headed as a whole, but the point is you can't build through the draft anymore I agree.

Last time this philosophy worked for us was 1998, we just so happened to win five other championships before that. Now we get to the discussion of free agency....Rodman was traded to the Bulls, still a great player but 34 years old at the time. Even still there is a gigantic difference between bringing in a player who you feel will fith with the team and brining in three of the top players in the league at their position.

I start from my last point to call these "super teams" effectively using free agency is a joke. We are all football fans and are fine with going out and bringing in big names...only difference is there are 11 players on the field at a time and another 11 that play the other side of the ball and another 11 for special teams. Meaning one or two players (unless a QB or elite talent) won't lift your whole team. Basketball ONE player makes all the difference. That's the difference between ugh the Cavilers and OH the Cavs! So to join up with not only one but three elite players goes beyond the "effective free agency." You had gym class and all the players from the actually basketball team played on the same team and beat all the "regular" students...well what did you really win? Competition is everything and it is the weight that goes on a ring. The Heat even when they were off-sync and not "together" went to a NBA finals series. BUT I think the Spurs (who everyone is forgetting just embarrased the Heat) showed us what team basketball and home grown talent can do. There is nothing wrong with having superstars on your team, but I'm of the camp that believes it feels better to say we discovered or grew that talent, instead once we saw he was a star we chased him.

I look at Taj Gibson who every team wants to get their hands on, Jimmy Butler emerging star on defense and growing on offense, Noah third in MVP voting, and down the line and I see late first round picks who weren't looked at much by most. I look at a coach who can bring a team together. And I look at the star in D Rose who when healthy was a MVP. With whatever PIECES we add through free agency or trade I see them supporting the core. I see a team I would be happy to say went through elite players, not recruited them. I been in Chicago my whole life and you ask any real fan not a bandwagon SEERED jock rider and they will tell you what we think it means to really be Champions.

The draft has always been weak in the NBA, you need to get lucky more than anything.

Also in reply to the Philly guy as well....

I will start off by saying that I 100% agree that the NBA draft is producing underwhelming talent on a yearly basis. We are seeing at most five solid players coming out of the draft. This is another discussion on where basketball is headed as a whole, but the point is you can't build through the draft anymore I agree.

Last time this philosophy worked for us was 1998, we just so happened to win five other championships before that. Now we get to the discussion of free agency....Rodman was traded to the Bulls, still a great player but 34 years old at the time. Even still there is a gigantic difference between bringing in a player who you feel will fith with the team and brining in three of the top players in the league at their position.

I start from my last point to call these "super teams" effectively using free agency is a joke. We are all football fans and are fine with going out and bringing in big names...only difference is there are 11 players on the field at a time and another 11 that play the other side of the ball and another 11 for special teams. Meaning one or two players (unless a QB or elite talent) won't lift your whole team. Basketball ONE player makes all the difference. That's the difference between ugh the Cavilers and OH the Cavs! So to join up with not only one but three elite players goes beyond the "effective free agency." You had gym class and all the players from the actually basketball team played on the same team and beat all the "regular" students...well what did you really win? Competition is everything and it is the weight that goes on a ring. The Heat even when they were off-sync and not "together" went to a NBA finals series. BUT I think the Spurs (who everyone is forgetting just embarrased the Heat) showed us what team basketball and home grown talent can do. There is nothing wrong with having superstars on your team, but I'm of the camp that believes it feels better to say we discovered or grew that talent, instead once we saw he was a star we chased him.

I look at Taj Gibson who every team wants to get their hands on, Jimmy Butler emerging star on defense and growing on offense, Noah third in MVP voting, and down the line and I see late first round picks who weren't looked at much by most. I look at a coach who can bring a team together. And I look at the star in D Rose who when healthy was a MVP. With whatever PIECES we add through free agency or trade I see them supporting the core. I see a team I would be happy to say went through elite players, not recruited them. I been in Chicago my whole life and you ask any real fan not a bandwagon SEERED jock rider and they will tell you what we think it means to really be Champions.

I'm pretty sure this debate started because you were explaining why you were opposed to signing Carmelo Anthony (one free agent) to the Bulls. Now you've turned it into why you hated Miami's Big 3. But ok.

To counter your entire argument, if a player or management official sees an opportunity to improve their team in any way, they take it. There's no ifs ands or buts. Their job is to win games, and if signing a big free agent is how to do it, that's how they should do it. There's tremendous pride in winning but there's absolutely no pride in losing. I would say that Miami did a phenomenal job at free agency in 2010, bringing back D Wade along with signing (and trading for) LBJ and Bosh. Just because you think it's unfair or pathetic that they did that in order to win championships doesn't mean that it was unfair or pathetic. They won 2 championships in 4 years. Undeniable success. Don't get me wrong, I hated that team as much as any other non Heat fan. But when your entire argument is saying that Miami's "effective free agency" (apparently quoting my words) was signing 3 of the biggest NBA stars to win 2/4 championships, all you've done is help me prove my point. You shouldn't sacrifice victory in the name of pride. That's just stupid.

Obviously there is more pride in building a team from scratch instead of bringing in proven stars, but in the end, winning a championship is the end goal no matter how it's done (so long as there's no foul play). And I have been in Chicago my whole life too and I can't think of anybody I've ever met that would say they'd rather not win a championship than win one because they brought in a bunch of superstar players.

Look at all the teams that have built through the draft and been fucking horrific. Some teams just don't "draft good". They don't find the mid-late 1st rounders that turn into core pieces. They don't get that superstar, they get a bust. Free agency is 50% of the team building and if used effectively it is BETTER than drafting.

The way basketball is played today, at all levels, has turned the draft into a complete crapshoot.

Kids don't develop a set of skills anymore. They either learn how to shoot or rely on sheer athleticism, which can carry them through high school and college. Then the NBA comes calling, where a more refined skillset is needed, and players come in so damn raw that there's just no hope for most of them.

Lance to the Hornets. 3/27 is what I've heard. What a dumbass. That's not even close to a big enough contract to leave a potential contender for a middle of the road team.

Fucking idiot.

I believe he was offered 4 years 44 million from Indiana so there were clearly other things going on with him,

I was wrong. It was 5 years 44 million. I'm not surprised he took this deal. Same money per year but he's banking on being a max player when this contract is up so he'll get his massive payday sooner.

Cavs really need to see what Emeka Okafor wants. He is the rim protector we need.

Saw Lance to the Hornets and thought he went to the Pelicans. Nice signing for Charlotte though. Lance will become a big piece there :yep:

Walker-Stephenson-KiddGilchrist-Vonleh-Jefferson ain't half bad.

The Hornets aren't a half bad team at all, especially in the East. It's easier to take them seriously with the name change too. lolBobcats

Lance wanted to be ome a main peice and leader. He couldnt do that on the Pacers. Hornets are younger and will fit in nicely. Good pickup. They are getting better.

Lakers signed Ed Davis 2 yr deal 2 milly

Solid deal for LA, still surprised Ed hasn't done more in this league to date. Thought he would be good.

Ed was having a very good season for Toronto 2 years ago before they shipped him in the Rudy Gay trade.

Guest Phailadelphia

I don't like that only because I was getting super hyped for Lebron-Wiggins fast breaks. Also, who's going to defend on that team if Love joins?